• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
Remy said:
Wow. After getting wrecked the first few games, the wedge became unstoppable. That lopsided Meltdown game was just...I'm still smirking about it.

That was so freakin' true, the fire-power of the wedge was just massive. GG to all who played tonight, it was awesome.
gladtomeetya.gif

M3Freak

Banned
SleazyC said:
We finished a game of meltdown in about 5 minutes because of the wedge. We were actually camping the other teams base and they couldn't get down.

That was a sight to behold. The other team would pop out at their base exit, and immediately get gunned down by the entire GAF team. They'd randomly chuck out grenades, or foolishly jump down and try to run - there was no escape.

I also enjoyed lobbing grenades into their base every now and then. Good times.

lunlunqq

tonight, history witnessed the largest GAF party ever and the power of flying wedge. Plz allow me to present to you pictures that captured this moment.

16 in the party!!!!

there were more GAFers online, but not responding to our invitations...

results of the meltdown game where we totally owned the other team, flying wedge style! :D

results of a later TMD game where we also owned our opponents hard. i almost got a perfect game in the first round with 18-1... only died once in the last second :mad:

another TMD game... i dont remember much about this one except that we owed the other team.

this was the only good competition we had tongith before many of us left the party. A meltdown game against another big clan. We lost a close first round, then scored a swift win in the second round.

it is unfortunate that i didn't capture the moment when all GAFers were camping at the gate of enemy base, killing everyone who dared to come out. that was total ownage!

edit: ah!!! :mad: anyone knows better free image hosting site?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SleazyC said:
We finished a game of meltdown in about 5 minutes because of the wedge. We were actually camping the other teams base and they couldn't get down.
haha sounds awesome. flying wedge ftw I suppose. :D

Nice pictures lunlunqq, too bad I couldnt be there. Kinda got caught up with something. :(

Gremmie4

Safe Bet said:
Your 'sending' when you don't mean to..

Go to settings and turn down your mic sensitivity...

I turned the micophone level down to 1 and it still does it. When I'm on the screen setting the level, there are no bars being colored when I'm not talking, so it doesn't seem to be picking anything up. The bars only fill up when I start talking to test it. I sent an email to the company about this and hopefully they'll be able to help.

patsu

Yeah I played with the GAF team (including Lunlunqq) the other day, and we had a wedge in 1 TDM. I think Isomniac needs to turn on Hailstorm ALT-fire to stop GAF.

Wollan

garrickk said:
Do you create private games? If not, what typically is the room/game name? I could search it out and join. I'd like to play occasionally with GAFers but probably won't be available enough to warrant a clan invite.

Thanks,
Garrick

We're not picky (the more the merrier. Only demand is that you read NeoGAF from time to time) and in a Resistance clan I think there's room for 200. Send kaching a pm with your details to join.

and guys/gals

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight (Sunday) at 7pm PST.

I kinda expected GAFers to talk a bit more. Seemed very quiet during the couple of games I played with y'all. Not much strategy talk, just lots of killin', lol...

Remember to defend the base for Breach next time. And we need 2 (or more) squads for Breach. 1 to defend the base, the other(s) to capture nodes. 1 huge squad is cool for thrown-together groups of players, but against a clan that knows what they're doing, it would mean a fast loss.

But ya, it was fun to finally play with some of you guys Saturday night. I'll try to be on again Sunday night.

lunlunqq

i will try to be on tonight too. but the problem is... i haven't slept one minute after the GAF game last night... maybe because i drank too much tea during the games... just couldn't fall asleep... :(

theBishop

Banned
Crackerman16 said:
I kinda expected GAFers to talk a bit more. Seemed very quiet during the couple of games I played with y'all. Not much strategy talk, just lots of killin', lol...

Remember to defend the base for Breach next time. And we need 2 (or more) squads for Breach. 1 to defend the base, the other(s) to capture nodes. 1 huge squad is cool for thrown-together groups of players, but against a clan that knows what they're doing, it would mean a fast loss.

But ya, it was fun to finally play with some of you guys Saturday night. I'll try to be on again Sunday night.

we need both. i was defending with a few other people, and you simply can't defend forever. We lost the first round in part because our offense wasn't strong enough.

the reason we won the second round is because we captured the node right near their base, and people started getting more aggressive on offense.

M3Freak

Banned
Wollan said:
Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight (Sunday) at 7pm PST.

I'll be there. Though, the PST meet times means 10:00 p.m. for me since I'm in the east. Still, I should be able to get in an hour or two.

patsu said:
I think Isomniac needs to turn on Hailstorm ALT-fire to stop GAF.

:D

Damn too bad I missed the fun. Hopefully I can get in some games tonight.

Crackerman16 said:

Don't forget in Breach controlling nodes unlocks several base defenses. First you get radar, then faster weapon spawns, followed by auto-turrets (in base), then auto-mines (in base), and finally Blast Doors so no one can enter. So its good to defend the base a bit in the first half, but if you start controlling several Nodes its probably time to roll out the offensive (and/or protect the Nodes you have).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
7 pm pst tonight, right after Jack Bauer!

And yeah, we should probably have a separate defense squad for breach maps. I can tell you right now, I'll be on defense 100% of the time on breach, LOVE DEFENSE. On meltdowns, I like to defend the central-most nodes as well.

I'm still a little annoyed we lost that first meltdown against AFK. After the first lost, we seemed to kick into high gear and smoked them in about 4 minutes the second though :)

I'm still learning the maps, so I have to constantly check my map to see what was just taken. Little annoying.

Looking forward to tonight's killing fields...

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Damn I have been missing all the fun.

So tonight at 7PM PST (10PM EST). Better start practicing now.

I hope you fools have mics. So what is the room name again just neogaf?

JB1981

I have to go to dinner at 7pm tonight. Can you guys stay on for me? Pretty please. I wanna be a part of the GAF team, nay FLEET again! LOL

Wollan

DON't FORGET THE SCHEDULED GAME TONIGHT @ 7PM PST. Details below.

Reposted for great justice.

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)
M3wThr33 - M3wThr33
lunlunqq - lunlunqq
Z_Y - Z_Y
White Man - TVC15
thundersabre - thundersabre
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
cochese - SEMBE
BruceLeeRoy - CFD_BruceLeeRoy
JB1981 - Beamber

Bad_Boy - Bad_Boy
Mackaveli - Mackaveli
jstevenson - jstevenson
Angelus - PorkChopExpress
Azrael - FilliamHMuffman
Ignatz Mouse - IgnatzMouse
XMonkey - snak
bigfatgameguy - gamerecks
drohne - drohne
TheJollyCorner - IrishFigg

skrew - skrew
Belfast - belfastga
acousticvan - mgs_van
gluv65 - backbreaker65
Kittonwy - Kittonwy
Baron Aloha - Will0928
greatestjediever - greatestjediever
Typhonsentra - Typhonsentra
Big-E - BigE
Agent X - AgentX

Dazzyman - Dazzyman
rager - beowolf
Fierydevil - Diagol
GAZERK - GAZERCK
zedge - NirvanaX
AltogetherAndrews - PoisonMarket
Lancelet Pink - GummadoonKnight
rc213 - rc213
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
commish - TigerHeli

Crackerman16 - Click
Carl2282 - Carl2282
JdFoX187 - JdFoX187
bishoptl - bishoptl
theBishop - theBishop
ghostmind - ghostmind
Arde0 - Arde0
djkimothy - djkimothy
Safe_Bet - Safe_Bet
hukasmokincaterpillar - DirtyWater

Matt_C - Matarick
M3freak - m3freak
Gremmie4 - MOLeary
teepo - teepo
krypt0nian - lastsonkrypt0n
garrickk - Garrick
jjasper - jjasper
Remy - RemyVJA
I3rand0 - I3rand0

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 7pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

Sundays 7pm PST

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

jjasper

Got to the [spolier]Angel containment tank[/spoiler] at Northern command. So far the game has been beyond awesome. I really like the way the story is going and how there is intel all over the place telling the story of how everything went down similar to Resident Evil. The different guns are so fun to use and I love the fact that there is a lot of strategy involved in what gun works best in each situation, that how you are forced to use every gun, and most importantly how balanced they all are (this is only for SP I really haven't played much MP yet).

Also I am in the clan PSN ID: jjasper

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
:D
Don't forget in Breach controlling nodes unlocks several base defenses. First you get radar, then faster weapon spawns, followed by auto-turrets (in base), then auto-mines (in base), and finally Blast Doors so no one can enter. So its good to defend the base a bit in the first half, but if you start controlling several Nodes its probably time to roll out the offensive (and/or protect the Nodes you have).

I know. That's why I said we need more than 1 squad. Preferably 3... so that there's defense for base and offense: node captures & enemy base attack. But last night, all of GAF were in 1 huge squad, lol. This goes for CTF and Meltdown as well (2 squads may be fine).

If I remember correctly, we didn't have much defense for our base Saturday night. I forgot which round it was, but there was only me and kaching doing base defense. Then basically their entire team came all at once and we got overtaken. We took out like half of them, but they swarmed our base like crazy.

Kittonwy

Banned
Crackerman16 said:
I know. That's why I said we need more than 1 squad. Preferably 3... so that there's defense for base and offense: node captures & enemy base attack. But last night, all of GAF were in 1 huge squad, lol. This goes for CTF and Meltdown as well (2 squads may be fine).

If I remember correctly, we didn't have much defense for our base Saturday night. I forgot which round it was, but there was only me and kaching doing base defense. Then basically their entire team came all at once and we got overtaken. We took out like half of them, but they swarmed our base like crazy.

I'm sorry, I should have been chipping in on the defense, but the rush of joining the wedge, it was overwhelming, the hailstorm of bullets, the bloodlust... I just couldn't resist.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy said:
I'm sorry, I should have been chipping in on the defense, but the rush of joining the wedge, it was overwhelming, the hailstorm of bullets, the bloodlust... I just couldn't resist.
Indifferent2.gif

It's all good. Like I said before, against a thrown together group, having 1 huge, intimidating squad can be very fun and entertaining. But against a clan that knows how to play team games (not TDM), multiple squads working together strategically is a must.

It was just a learning experience anyway, so no biggie... I don't think [GAF] has really been up against a good clan thus far, right? Plus, [GAF] isn't exactly one of those hardcore, competitive clans; it's more of a just for fun group (and it sure was fun). :)

Remy

I think part of the problem with trying to separate into two squads is that we have no way of knowing whether or not we're going to jump into Breach games or CTF/Meltdown or Team DM.

We can certainly work on the coordination going forward, though. I tend to hang back on Breech games.

Also, Wollan, I just realized I'm not in your list. RemyVJA.

garrickk

Thanks for adding me above. I'll be online at 7pm PST, but I'm probably not good enough yet to be in your "super" wedge; I'd just bring down your statistics. Perhaps I can play on the other team and unsuccessfully throw 'nades at your formation from a distance.

Garrick

EDIT: BTW, last night was the first time I played multiplayer online. Does anyone know of a good resource/FAQ for online strategies or even weapon strategies? The only faq I've found so far is at IGN and it's fairly thin. I just read about the Bullseye L1/red laser charge/bullet charge technique here and am wondering how many little pointers and skills I'm missing out on.

SleazyC

garrickk said:
Thanks for adding me above. I'll be online at 7pm PST, but I'm probably not good enough yet to be in your "super" wedge; I'd just bring down your statistics. Perhaps I can play on the other team and unsuccessfully throw 'nades at your formation from a distance.

Garrick

EDIT: BTW, last night was the first time I played multiplayer online. Does anyone know of a good resource/FAQ for online strategies or even weapon strategies? The only faq I've found so far is at IGN and it's fairly thin. I just read about the Bullseye L1/red laser charge/bullet charge technique here and am wondering how many little pointers and skills I'm missing out on.
Personally I don't really think it matters if you aren't that good or not. From what I can tell we were just playing to have a good time and we had GAF memebers spread all across the score board. I just found it incredibly fun running around with people with headsets and as long as you can point and shoot I don't think you would bring down any statistics. The only way you can get better is to play and why not have fun while you are doing it?

I3rand0

Wollan said:
Added. For the clan you need to send a pm to kaching (either here or on PSN).

Thanks I sent him a pm.

Edit: Does everyone use a headset? The only one I have is usb wired and doesnt have a very long cord length so Im interested in getting a bluetooth one if anyone has reccommendations.

Remy

garrickk said:

Here's a poor attempt to rattle off a quick FAQ for all aspects of online play; keep in mind this is based on my experience and people are more than welcome to correct me because I'm probably wrong in a few places.

GENERAL

Human vs. Chimera: People may play better as one or the other, but truth be told, they're pretty balanced.

Chimera advantages:
- Starts with the Bullseye - larger clip/quicker fire rate than the Carbine, plus you get unlimited tags for homing.
- Rage Mode (tap L2) allows you to sprint and do more damage. Watch your heat meter while you do so, as it will drain your health to 50% and make you more susceptible to quick kills. Rage mode also shows anyone standing behind walls, so activate it to check rooms before you burst in.

Human advantages:
- Radar will pick up enemies within range of teammates that are firing or in rage mode. Check the map by pressing Left on the D-pad.
- Starts with a free frag grenade - don't forget to use it.
- Sprinting doesn't cost you health, like Rage Mode (although you can't fire while you sprint). To sprint, tap L2 once.
- Can crouch - hold L2. Seems obvious, but since you heal all your health back in MP (instead of the nearest quarter), you should always take an opportunity to duck and cover if you can.

Shake It Off: If you get hit with a tag from the Bullseye, an ion burst from the Arc Charger, an Air-Fuel grenade, or flames from the Dragon, you'll see an icon in the lower left corner of the screen. Quickly shake the controller repeatedly and you'll shake it off. It may be in your best interest to drop one hand from your controller to do this if you don't need to fire back.

Don't Get Discouraged: If you're getting pounded one round, if you see the other team go up 200 points, if you can't find any weapons - don't give up. It's very easy to feel like you've had a bullshit round; you will have your time in the sun. Any contribution to the team, so long as you're not standing in the corner idle, is helpful.

Individual Weapons

Grenades: Frag grenades will pop immediately if you physically hit an opponent with it; Hedgehog grenades are best for tight spaces; Air-Fuel grenades will stick to your opponents if you can hit them with one directly.

Carbine: The alt-fire 40mm grenade allows for reasonably easy one-hit kills without the lag time of regular grenades.

Bullseye: See the last page for details on how to set bullet traps with the bullseye, as well as tips on long-range sniping.

Shotgun: The shotgun consistently does 50 damage even from a few steps away. The alt-fire doesn't do enough damage for single hit kills from that range - since it reloads slower, stick to the primary.

Arc Charger: Nearly useless in deathmatch, but the most important weapon in Meltdown/Breech. Alt-fire a few shots into a node and you've got an easy cap. Learn where this is on every map with those modes. Make it a frequent grab if you can.

Auger: Like the arc charger, it's mostly useless - doesn't do enough damage in a regular firefight to keep you alive. But it's a good secondary choice for capturing nodes in Meltdown/Breech, and the shield can occasionally come in handy in maps with choke points.

FarEye: Tapping alt-fire gives you preset zoom ranges; there's no time-slowing as there is in the SP (obviously). As someone said upthread: the best way to aim with the FarEye is by getting yourself lined up for a head-level shot, and then using the L stick to move horizontally.

Dragon: This weapon is good against two types of opponents: Chimera (as they are susceptible to heat) and newbies (who don't know how to shake it off). Otherwise, keep away from it.

LAARK: As with most video game rocket launchers, you want to work the splash damage here, not try for a direct hit. Aim for the feet.

Melee: Unless you're in a custom game with damage turned up, you need two hits to knock someone out. This isn't Gears.

Game Mode Tips

FFA Deathmatch: Find other people duking it out 1v1 and spray at both. Assist points are just as good as all other points - and you have a reasonable chance of stealing one or both kills.

Conversion: In conversion, you (generally) get two lives: one human, one Chimera. You get points not only for wiping out the other side, but also merely for surviving. This is the polar opposite of Deathmatch - you do not want to bounce from fight to fight. Pick your battles carefully; get some long range hits in if you can. Survival is key.

Team Deathmatch: Yeah, yeah, I keep going on and on about the Flying Wedge, but there's a reason. When you have 4+ members of your team swarming around the map together, you will generally hit 1v4 or 2v4 situations, and if each member of your team hits the other side with at least one bullet, you'll get 10 points for the kill and 2 points for each assist. This can add up to absurd levels - last night we won a 1500-point round with ~120 kills and ~150 assists. Never mind that the added cover and support will keep you from getting wrecked too often.

Meltdown: This is a node-control game; get a headset, give status updates to your teammates, and figure out what your opponents are doing. If they're swarming a node trying to take over, and no one is defending, get the hell over there. If everyone on your team is defending, sneak around and cap a node out from under them. And as said above: get yourself an Arc Charger or an Auger for converting nodes.

CTF: It's CTF. You know how this works.

Breech: Breech works a lot like Meltdown except that the ultimate goal is to attack the reactor in the other team's base. Capping nodes gets you advantages, like more weapons or defense mechanisms in your base, but remember beyond all else: there is no recovering from damage inflicted to your base. If you see "Your Base Is Under Attack" and no one is on defense, it might be in your best interest to get killed so you can respawn at the base and maybe save the day.

garrickk

Thanks Remy, good stuff.

BTW, I'm hanging out online. I see my name in the list above so if anyone wants to send an invite, that would be great.

Kittonwy

Banned
lunlunqq said:
i just checked the lobby. nobody's there yet. just myself... :( guess i will quit and play a few rounds of tekken dr.

I'm going to grab a bite and then log on, I'm too hungy to fight right now, gimme 30 minutes. ~_~

Remy

I should be on after Extras airs - can only play till midnight EST, but that should be long enough.

EDIT: Oh, and garrickk, the Clan list always goes:

Clan Leader
You
All Online Clan Members
All Offline Clan Members

...so you'll always see yourself as second.

garrickk

commish said:
Let's go fellas, join up!
I'm just waiting for my clan invite (I was slow in PM'ing Kaching - my fault). I mistook my name on Wollan's list to mean I was "queued for inclusion."

I thought I saw an option last night to send an invite from the game/lobby directly to a user by manually entering their user name? My PSN is Garrick.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
garrickk said:
I'm just waiting for my clan invite (I was slow in PM'ing Kaching - my fault). I mistook my name on Wollan's list to mean I was "queued for inclusion."

I thought I saw an option last night to send an invite from the game/lobby directly to a user by manually entering their user name? My PSN is Garrick.

add lunlunqq, he's doing invites

jjasper

I don't know what happened but we had too many people or something and it wouldn't let us enter a ranked game, so we made our own, I left cause I thought I had to do something and now I gotta get back in.

mackaveli

SnakeXs said:
You guys playing tonight/now? Game name? How do I get in? :D

we play ranked games, so basically, once the party finishes the rank game, you wait in lobby and the party leader will send you a party invite and you accept. then we play. You can't join ranked games in process so you have to wait till they finish which im doign right now but it seems liek they have been playing for a hour. I might just study then.

Top Bottom