• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

JoeFenix

Nice. Thanks, Joe!

Quick question for people who watched this video or the previous one I made.

Do you guys enjoy the format and the way I edit these things? Regardless of the actual gameplay or content, do you like the way it's presented?

I'm trying to make them more interesting than just dumping footage on my channel but I haven't received much feedback on that part of the videos so I'm curious!

Please be critical, I want to improve :)

So, what ship to use, guys? Do you feel a certain ship is better for certain levels/difficulties? Phobos' shot is BEAST, and OD is insane, but I just can't beat some of the bosses with it. It dodges way too slow. Well, I dodge way too slow but the ship certainly doesn't help!

Calibus

So, what ship to use, guys? Do you feel a certain ship is better for certain levels/difficulties? Phobos' shot is BEAST, and OD is insane, but I just can't beat some of the bosses with it. It dodges way too slow. Well, I dodge way too slow but the ship certainly doesn't help!

I'm partial to Nemesis myself.

Also, damn if this game doesn't get tough in a hurry. The difficulty spikes are pretty insane even on Normal difficulty setting.

Mondy

Banned
Holy FUCK this game is awesome.

That last level is fucking hard, even on rookie. I popped the Silver for bagging two humans at once on my first playthrough which was awesome. The rest will come with plenty of experience and a dash of luck.

I can see myself playing this one a lot for a while.

jsip

Banned
Weird. So I'm rolling through collecting the individual ship trophies but only one of them is unlocking. Does it have to be a specific difficulty? I thought it would have unlocked on Veteran :(

Mondy

Banned
Question about the Humanist trophy: does this pop after you unlock the bronze for each map individually or do you need to save all the humans in one straight play through?

JoeFenix

Question about the Humanist trophy: does this pop after you unlock the bronze for each map individually or do you need to save all the humans in one straight play through?

You don't have to do it all in one playthrough, getting all the maps done individually should get you the trophy.

jsip

Banned
You can just level select. It pops when you get all bronze trophies.

I just need a 15x multiplier and beat the game twice more with the other ships to get my plat. But the ship trophies aren't unlocking for me :(

Searren

I just need a 15x multiplier and beat the game twice more with the other ships to get my plat. But the ship trophies aren't unlocking for me :(

They only unlocked for me while doing arcade mode and all stages in one go. Its rather easy on rookie.

The 15x multiplier was the last one I needed for the platinum. I personally found it to be the toughest, more so than the one credit clear trophy.

jsip

Banned
They only unlocked for me while doing arcade mode and all stages in one go. Its rather easy on rookie.

The 15x multiplier was the last one I needed for the platinum. I personally found it to be the toughest, more so than the one credit clear trophy.

Ah OK. I took a break and came back in arcade mode. I will go in one run on each tonight.

phobos can you get the 15x easy.

Roger that. I was reading some peeps like Nemesis and rolling on Decima Veteran. I'll roll Phobos. Tried it on Master but killing things too fast the multiplier resets so quick. I'll save it for last as mentioned so I can concentrate on memorizing spawns to plan ahead so I dont lose the MP from killing too quick.

Thanks guys!

Number45

When you rescue a human your weapons fire much faster for a couple of seconds. I never noticed the arrows on the retrieval thing turning blue before though. Just saw it today, pretty cool.
Seems this is wide of the mark (it is true, but not what they're hinting at with the blue arrows).

From the FB page:

ok.... so you just keep protecting your humans til you get atleast 3 ready to go.... launch the 1st into the pod, while its blue launch the 2nd and while its blue from that launch the 3rd... do this on every level... I just made a close to perfect run and jumped to the top of the leaderboard on rookie difficultie by a fair margin but once people begin learning about this I want be up there all by myself for long....
Get juggling.

Also, latest tip:

The Overdrive minigame
Wait, what? There's an Overdrive-related minigame? Well, kind of. There's a way to make the Overdrive bestow more points than usual. Did anybody figure it out yet?
Looking forward to finally getting to play this tomorrow. ^_^

I'm still loving this game. Today I finished up all but 1 trophy, I need to beat it on experienced without losing all lives. The game is tough but I found the key is to know the levels and after dying enough times you get to know which enemies come out and their movements.

jsip

Banned
I'm still loving this game. Today I finished up all but 1 trophy, I need to beat it on experienced without losing all lives. The game is tough but I found the key is to know the levels and after dying enough times you get to know which enemies come out and their movements.
Yep. I had the hardest time trying to get all humans on the last level the first few times since I was busy shooting everything a stray bullet would wind up hitting a keeper out of order during the last phase. Once you memorize the patterns its nice. Although on Master it gets tricky with every enemy dumping revenge bullets ha!

Mindlog

I'm partial to Nemesis myself.

Also, damn if this game doesn't get tough in a hurry. The difficulty spikes are pretty insane even on Normal difficulty setting.
That is my favorite ship as well. However, I kept hearing positive things about the Phobos. Played the last map and got blown up pretty quick.

Gave it one more shot from the beginning and doubled my high score -_-

May make the final push for my first Ps4 Platter of Platanos.

jsip

Banned
That feel you get when you mistakenly pick the wrong ship you already got the trophy for :(

Damn. Now I have to go through it again. I'm all yapping away not paying attention to what the shit I'm doing. Sigh.

Calibus

Finally beat Map 5. Amazing experience. Had to put my Dark Souls Cap of Patients and Perseverance on to get past the last stage, but there you have it. Can't wait for new ships/stages.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This game looks sick. But I have to say, I think Super Stardust HD had way more style.

Can't wait to see what that studio would be able to do on PS4 hardware.

Okay it wasn't in the manual... where do I check how much boost I have? And when overdrive is ready?

I noticed there are some circular bars around the ship but I dunno what they mean.

Got the platinum tonight... spent a lot of freaking time trying to get that 15X multiplier... finally got that done and then all I had to do was beat the game on Experienced without continuing... was going through with a friend and we went into level 5 with zero lives, yet we somehow did it. Boss couldn't even finish all of his "stages" of attacks.

Got the platinum, hoping for some new maps to come out soon. excellent gameplay. Joe Fenix is a beast his scores are so much higher than the #2 guy

jsip

Banned
And here we go:
BaN-e_5CQAAPeiB.jpg:large

Number45

More tips:

The Retro Camera

If you dig into the options menu, you'll notice there's the possibility to set camera mode to "Retro". The legend tells our devs decided to include it for real nostalgics... and score chasers. The main difference between Standard camera mode and Retro is that Retro camera doesn't pan around. It's a bit less spectacular, but it gives you a better view of the playfield – if you're breathing on the neck of another player's score, try it out!

What's the best ship?

Let's be clear, there's no "best ship" in Resogun, it all depends on your playstyle and what you're trying to achieve at the moment. Is it a trophy? Your best score ever? Just mindless destruction?

Nemesis is by far the fastest ship in the game, its boost recharging quickly and its speed making fun of most enemies, boss included. On the downside, the homing missiles are weak and its Overdrive is the less effective among the 3 main ships.

Ferox is the balanced one. Jack of all trades, master of none? Not really, as Ferox is the favourite ship of many Resogun devs, you just have to make up for its average Overdrive with very good skills when it comes to rescuing (and throwing) humans.

Phobos is by far the most difficult ship to use, but also the one that can grant you the craziest scores. Very powerful against enemies, Phobos can't boost for long and is very slow in recovering. On the plus side, its Overdrive used at the right moment can grant you a ton of extra points.

JoeFenix

McocdZT.jpg

There's still room for massive amounts of improvement but I hit the major scoring opportunities that I was aiming for so I'm pretty happy with this run.

Made a video out of the limited amount of footage I managed to get from the PS4 capture, still waiting for that damn HDCP stripper to show up....

Died on the last boss because I was distracted but the video shows you the basic strategy that I use to defeat him. Not saying it's the best but that's how I do it, It's actually very rare that I die on him but the red circles are trickier on Hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnFZX7qDEbE

system11

Controls don't feel right having movement on the left analogue stick, end result is you can't move left/right at a constant speed if you're also changing height - and the D pad can't be used.

Pretty basic failing, how did nobody understand that it compromises the feel of the game - it's immediately obvious if you've ever played arcade games. Could have been fixed having U/D on right stick with any amount of L/R to fire, or by simply enabling the D pad.

jsip

Banned
Controls don't feel right having movement on the left analogue stick, end result is you can't move left/right at a constant speed if you're also changing height - and the D pad can't be used.

Pretty basic failing, how did nobody understand that it compromises the feel of the game - it's immediately obvious if you've ever played arcade games. Could have been fixed having U/D on right stick with any amount of L/R to fire, or by simply enabling the D pad.
Feels fine to me. Using the D-pad would limit range of movement to 8 axis. No thanks. Having UP/down on the right analog along with shooting would also limit movement. Using analogs allows the player to make subtle movements in any direction the analog can face.

Play the game on Master where every enemy throws a revenge bullet and your screen is literally filled to the brim with enemies and projectiles that want to kill you. Moving at top speed to avoid one bullet can lead you into another.

Greater control of your ships trajectory and speed are paramount to surviving later levels on Master as you dont want to blow OD, Bombs or boost if you have an opportunity to outmaneuver projectiles. D-pad would cripple this game. Nooooooo thanks.

system11

Feels fine to me. Using the D-pad would limit range of movement to 8 axis. No thanks. Having UP/down on the right analog along with shooting would also limit movement. Using analogs allows the player to make subtle movements in any direction the analog can face.

Play the game on Master where every enemy throws a revenge bullet and your screen is literally filled to the brim with enemies and projectiles that want to kill you. Moving at top speed to avoid one bullet can lead you into another.

Greater control of your ships trajectory and speed are paramount to surviving later levels on Master as you dont want to blow OD, Bombs or boost if you have an opportunity to outmaneuver projectiles. D-pad would cripple this game. Nooooooo thanks.

I said enable the D-Pad, not mandate it. There are a lot of us out there playing games a lot more intense than this with microswitched joysticks. You're wrong about the U/D on the right stick though - you'd have full U/D/L/R at any time, with only a tiny amount of movement either way needed to fire.

Way it is now, is just wrong because needing to move up/down quickly kills your horizontal movement. I'd prefer more flexibility to people can configure it to suit - not sure why that's so unfashionable these days..

Maybe it could be patched in

leng jai

Just started playing. How exactly are you supposed to keep all the humans alive? Sometimes I can save them but most of the time I can't even see which one is in danger and they die about 2 seconds after it gives me the warning.

jsip

Banned
I said enable the D-Pad, not mandate it. There are a lot of us out there playing games a lot more intense than this with microswitched joysticks. You're wrong about
This ends our discussion. My opinion is my opinion. I suppose you think every game that slaps a learning curve and restrictions to mechanics is also "wrong" because every game needs to play like every other game and can't have its own mechanical identity.

You are entitled to your opinion, sure, but I am, too. With that, you won't see a reply from me again so post away as if I'm still paying attention.

jsip

Banned
Just started playing. How exactly are you supposed to keep all the humans alive? Sometimes I can save them but most of the time I can't even see which one is in danger and they die about 2 seconds after it gives me the warning.
When keepers arrive, kill them. They are highlighted with a green glow. Some have to be killed in a specific order. When you kill the last keeper you will see a spark fly up and towards the human leaving a trail through the map. If you can't see it due to OMG on screen, a green arrow appears on the reticule around your ship pointing to the nearest human ready for pick up. Fail to pick them up and an enemy will pick them up and take them away.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Just started playing. How exactly are you supposed to keep all the humans alive?

Does somebody also know if it is possible to actively free the humans from their "cells"? Or do I have to wait until they come out?

s2000

Neo Member
wah, I suck at this game. I can't beat the last level's boss. I'm using nemesis and don't have a problem saving all the humans but I am out of lives by the time I get to the end. Tell me your secrets platinum'ers

jsip

Banned
Does somebody also know if it is possible to actively free the humans from their "cells"? Or do I have to wait until they come out?
Right above your post. Also, there is another thing to keep in mind that not all humans are freed by keepers. I'll let you guys figure it out. Its not hard.

jsip

Banned
wah, I suck at this game. I can't beat the last level's boss. I'm using nemesis and don't have a problem saving all the humans but I am out of lives by the time I get to the end. Tell me your secrets platinum'ers
Phase 1: just fly and shoot.

Phase 2: move out of the red indicators and keep shooting the tentacles as the fly up/down. TAP boost if you are in trouble. Keep moving in one direction.

Phase 3: stay CLOSE to the hydra. Real close. It won't move but it shoots in bursts aimed at you. The further you are away the smaller the gap will be between bursts. Staying close allows you to move up/down between them.

Phase 4: repeat phase 2 and stay out of the red circles. Keep moving in one direction and keep shooting behind you.

Phase 5: repeat phase 1 while dodging the bullets it sprays in bursts. Stay medium range and dive between bullets as they spread. Tap boost if you need to.

Edit: tapping boost gets you out of harm's way and allows it to quickly recharge to get ready to tap it again quickly.

Top Bottom