• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

Mondy

Banned
When I'm done with Veteran, I'm gonna need a co-op partner to do 1cc and the Master trophy. Anyone who needs to do these as well and wants a partner, PM me and I'll send you my PSN.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
How do you get the ship trophies? I've finished the game multiple times with the same ship but nothing ever happens.

Croyles

Currently working on Veteran difficulty. I am having real trouble keeping up my multiplier with Phobos. I also get too risky and die a lot in the first level just because I want to keep my multiplier up at all costs. I did beat my high score though, currently at rank 248 on veteran:

sEe4ryo.jpg

Still have a LOT to learn. I also need to start boost throwing humans because going to the drop zones is killing my multiplier a lot.

Damn, when I saw your posts I thought "wtf, I don't remember writing this here!", and then I realized what was happening. Having the same avatar as someone else can be pretty confusing at times :)

Haha, at least yours is a better cut out from the original picture.

Number45

I also need to start boost throwing humans because going to the drop zones is killing my multiplier a lot.
I think I enjoy this more than anything else in the game. I do get carried away with it though, which often costs me (particularly on the fourth and fifth planets).

Mondy

Banned
That's one thing you really need to train yourself to do when just trying to beat the game on harder difficulties: The only humans that matter are the ones that give extra lives and bombs. The rest you can do without. It pays to know which humans give what and under what stipulations on each level.

Croyles

That's one thing you really need to train yourself to do when just trying to beat the game on harder difficulties: The only humans that matter are the ones that give extra lives and bombs. The rest you can do without. It pays to know which humans give what and under what stipulations on each level.

Yeah, it's just at the moment it seems a little annoying having to memorize which humans to save and keep on track with the bar on the top left to know which one you are on.

I'm sure i'll get it eventually though.

I also need to learn to actually look at my hitbox more closely because im having a little bit of trouble seeing it properly a lot of the time. I've never played a bullet hell schmup in my life so this is all new for me.

theaface

I just got the platinum trophy for this. Such a fantastic little game that really rewards practice. Still can't quite believe this was a PS+ freebie given that it's arguably the best PS4 launch title.

Heyyyy! So the game DOES loop again??

Awesome! Hear I thought you just end the game when you reach level 5...

So that's what Hero mode is... Um what's the difference? Is it faster?

How is it unlocked, just getting to the end on arcade mode? Does it have to be played on the Master difficulty?

I'm so happy. I thought for a while that there was an end-game, which would give the game a glass ceiling.

...What happens after Hero mode is beaten??

Edit: Oh, game ends after Hero mode. No matter, not like I'll ever reach it lol

Marc

Just got the Platinum for this game! First one on the PS4! :)

I love this game.

Now it's time to try and get in the top thousand on Veteran and then top hundred.

Here's a tip for the last boss. When he starts firing shots everywhere use your boost to go in the little safe zone under him where he is arched. Carry on firing at him. When the arch opens up at the back just use boost again to go back to another arch.

Also I don't know what ship you are using but Nemesis is the best beginner's ship. Lots of boost and homing missiles. When you start to get good you can move your way up to the other 2 ships.

Wow, well done. That is an insane achievement, I actually think Sony should send out some resogun trophy mug for doing that its so difficult.

Yeah, I found that out a few hours ago from one of the videos and just managed to beat him so got the trophy after 50 attempts. I then play veteran and complete the first level without a death and collect all the humans for the first time, get to the second level boss without dying then die 3-4 times in a row. Also juggled a human to get one of the achievements. Crazy!

I wasn't using it at first but definitely switched to that ship after looking up tips for that last level. Before I couldn't get to the boss but then with that ship made it to the end consistently. Its my favourite now but I don't get as many overdrives so not as many points but still I didn't think I could do it. No way I can beat veteran but its fun to try even if I sometimes want to throw the controller. :D

KalBalboa

Banned
Finally finished off the campaign today (did it planet by planet since launch whenever I had five minutes).

It finally clicked with me. I'm hooked and hoping to get my arcade high score into the 20 million range this coming week.

WJD

Fairly sure I've completed the game with both Nemesis and Ferox yet no trophies. What gives?

Not many more till the plat now.

edit: ah, should have looked above.

Man. Did my first real run at Master... Broke my 9m record and set it at 11m, but I lost all 3 lives within the span of 1 minute on Level 2 lol. Accidentally wasted a bomb last level, and miscalculated when my boost would fill up, leading me into an inescapable situation.

....Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't anyone else love a Trophy firmware update?

I know there will be more DLC and presumably trophies, but I'd love some additional trophies just to show off.

I'm talking trophies like:

"Reach 50 million points"
"Reach 100 million points"
"Reach 500 million points"

I just feel so proud when I play this game. Such great satisfaction, similar to beating bosses in Demon's Souls.

Also, I really love how your activity feed highlights your scores!!

I wish I could sticky or "pin" down those tiles and keep them forever. Sony should allow for certain activities to be permanently commemorated on your profile. Sort of like a "My Gaming Moment" badge to show everyone on your friend's list.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Great game but not as good as SSHD IMHO.

The huge destruction sequence at the end of the level appears to run at 30fps? No big deal but not entirely 60 fps ;-)

Grinchy

Banned
Man. Did my first real run at Master... Broke my 9m record and set it at 11m, but I lost all 3 lives within the span of 1 minute on Level 2 lol. Accidentally wasted a bomb last level, and miscalculated when my boost would fill up, leading me into an inescapable situation.

....Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't anyone else love a Trophy firmware update?

I know there will be more DLC and presumably trophies, but I'd love some additional trophies just to show off.

I'm talking trophies like:

"Reach 50 million points"
"Reach 100 million points"
"Reach 500 million points"

I just feel so proud when I play this game. Such great satisfaction, similar to beating bosses in Demon's Souls.

Also, I really love how your activity feed highlights your scores!!

I wish I could sticky or "pin" down those tiles and keep them forever. Sony should allow for certain activities to be permanently commemorated on your profile. Sort of like a "My Gaming Moment" badge to show everyone on your friend's list.
Yep, I do wish there'd be an update to the trophies. I completely understand why they do the trophy list the way they always do it. They make it accessible to a lot of people instead of going the insane hardcore route like a Wipeout game. They want more than 17 people in the world to feel like they can work toward the platinum.

But I'd love to see a side list of trophies for things like you've said (high scores). They could add trophy lists kinda like DLC that don't count toward the platinum but count toward the 100%. Maybe even extra, non-platinum-based trophies for things like cracking top 50 or 25 in the leaderboards.

Love this game, too. Wondering, what's the max distance you can boost throw a human? Can you toss them a fair distance with boost throwing? This would really help me to preserve my multipliers.

DBT85

Love this game, too. Wondering, what's the max distance you can boost throw a human? Can you toss them a fair distance with boost throwing? This would really help me to preserve my multipliers.

One video I saw threw one what must have been a quarter of the way around.

So yeah, I have to agree and say that I like SSHD better....Two different games, and I do love them both, but my experiences with SSHD were more impactful.

I JUST beat my old 70m score and doubled it-- My SSHD score is now 150 MILLION!!! Top 6500!

I am SO fucking pissed at how I died: My DS4 disconnected, did NOT pause the game, and killed my 9x multiplier. Fucking pissed off as fuck because I would have definitely gotten higher at a 9x multiplier, maybe even have an extra life.

Also, I really wish Housemarque would get rid of the end-game after Hero mode. On SSHD you keep going, at least twice. I unlocked "Elite" mode after 2 completions.

I think what I really love about SSHD is that enemy variety and how they come at you are more diverse than what you find in Resogun. Also, the number of twitch/near death experiences I have in SSHD leaves me shaking so much that I need to pause the game and have a breather. Had a few of those moments in Resogun, but SSHD definitely leaves me more in a sweat. Boss fights are also more interesting, and the added time bonus really tempts you to take some risky moves.

I came, I saw, I blew stuff up.

The trophies seem a lot easier to get than they should have been. Beating the game on experienced? 15x multiplier? Only required to beat one level on master?
Beating the game on Veteran without losing all your lives, a 20x multiplier and beating every level on master would have been more fitting.

Micromanagement is the only tricky one to get. I found the opportunity to get it on the second level earlier.
The share button came in handy for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNovOeFGoNA

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Great game but not as good as SSHD IMHO.

The huge destruction sequence at the end of the level appears to run at 30fps? No big deal but not entirely 60 fps ;-)
I think you'll be singing a different tune if you keep playing this for a bit longer, I thought so at first, but now I love it for sure as much as SSDHD. I really wish they'd port SSD to PS4 though so I have both on one machine.

Explosion at the end is 40FPS. You can tell it's the boss explosion slowdown moment inherited from various Treasure shooters where they overload the scene intentionally. Half of me loves it, the other half wishes it was toned down a bit to remain locked 60.

I think you'll be singing a different tune if you keep playing this for a bit longer, I thought so at first, but now I love it for sure as much as SSDHD. I really wish they'd port SSD to PS4 though so I have both on one machine.

Explosion at the end is 40FPS. You can tell it's the boss explosion slowdown moment inherited from various Treasure shooters where they overload the scene intentionally. Half of me loves it, the other half wishes it was toned down a bit to remain locked 60.

Man, Stardust HD on PS4 is also what I want... I'd love a sequel, but I know that probably wont happen until the tail end of PS4 if anything.

But a straight up update would be so good.

Croyles

I did it! I got in to the top 100 on Veteran Arcade!

\o/

OkLLmB1.jpg

I could have gotten at least 10 million more, but I got over excited when I looked up at the score and pretty much instantly lost all my lives on the last level.

Ovid

I've been playing this on Remote Play (haven't touched it yet on the PS4 lol).

This game is so fun. So strange not playing a FPS game.

So does anyone wish multiplier on co op was shared? With a few modifications to compensate for two players, of course.

Are there not co-op leaderboards? Co-op needs some added twist to make co-op leaderboard competition more exciting.

Some stuff like:

-spawning "Assassin missiles" that home in on you and are indestructible...unless your partner kills them
-having to stick together side by side for added damage
-shared multiplier meter
-ability to give your life/bombs to your partner

Also, is there any point in saving Points-Humans? I mean, at best they give you like what? 20k? How many points are they worth? Whats the bonus for saving all humans?

Seems better to save the shield, bomb, overdrive and extra life humans, no?

jsip

Banned
Still have a LOT to learn. I also need to start boost throwing humans because going to the drop zones is killing my multiplier a lot.

Picking up a human resets the timer. Saving a human resets the timer.

If you aren't worried about saving humans and want to work on your multi, always keep one on your ship at all times WITHOUT turning them in and keep one on the ground. Use these two to pad the timer in the event you can't get to an enemy quick enough. Don't just pick them up and turn them in unless your timer goes yellow-red.

Let some enemies go gold. They become harder to kill. Use Nemesis since it is weak, simply hitting an enemy without killing them resets the timer.

Only use OD to clear your immediate area in the event you are trapped, out of boost and will probably die. Don't go balls out destroying everything on screen. Clear the area around your ship until you are safe then stop.

DO NOT KILL ANYTHING DURING A PHASE SHIFT. Your timer multi will be BLUE until you hit the first enemy at the start of another phase which initiates the timer. Keep enemies alive.

When the shit hits the fan and you don't have boost or OD and you MUST use a bomb to survive - try to time it so that the bomb goes off as new enemies are spawning, if the white voxels are forming they will not be killed by your bomb. Follow the blast wave to the other side if that's where they are spawning.

By all means - kill slowly. Peck away at enemies. You should be good to go.

Croyles

Anyone got a list of which humans give what rewards? Im going to start ignoring the point ones I think. Or can save them to refresh multiplier as said above.

Picking up a human resets the timer. Saving a human resets the timer.

If you aren't worried about saving humans and want to work on your multi, always keep one on your ship at all times WITHOUT turning them in and keep one on the ground. Use these two to pad the timer in the event you can't get to an enemy quick enough. Don't just pick them up and turn them in unless your timer goes yellow-red.

Let some enemies go gold. They become harder to kill. Use Nemesis since it is weak, simply hitting an enemy without killing them resets the timer.

Only use OD to clear your immediate area in the event you are trapped, out of boost and will probably die. Don't go balls out destroying everything on screen. Clear the area around your ship until you are safe then stop.

DO NOT KILL ANYTHING DURING A PHASE SHIFT. Your timer multi will be BLUE until you hit the first enemy at the start of another phase which initiates the timer. Keep enemies alive.

When the shit hits the fan and you don't have boost or OD and you MUST use a bomb to survive - try to time it so that the bomb goes off as new enemies are spawning, if the white voxels are forming they will not be killed by your bomb. Follow the blast wave to the other side if that's where they are spawning.

By all means - kill slowly. Peck away at enemies. You should be good to go.

Thanks for the tips but i already do most of that (apart from the human hoarding). Still a very helpful tip though.
Actually i need to use OD as much as possible to get over 70 million now, i cant hold on to them really. I mean, I'll wait a couple of seconds until there are enough enemies to kill on screen at least.
No way am I using Nemesis anymore, need that OD from Phobos.

Beat a couple levels on Veteran last night. Awesome!

I never know which ship to use though... are certain ones better for certain levels?

I understand now that hoarding humans and saving them one after another after the last human is released is the optimal way to play if scores are the goal, but man I can't get the hang of it. I'll lose multipliers, die from stray bullets while flinging humans, get frazzled from fighting off UFOs, and generally have a bad time. The throw human button is finally seeing some use though, so L2 must be happy.

Shadybiz

Just got my PS4 last night, and got to try this game. Simply put, I think it's really cool, and I'll definitely be playing it a lot. I am usually pretty bad at these types of games, but being able to use boost to get out of situations makes it better for sure.

Beat a couple levels on Veteran last night. Awesome!

I never know which ship to use though... are certain ones better for certain levels?

Phobos' OD is a scoring machine. Though, I'm curious if there are top players who use the other ships

Edit: Looking at the Hero leaderboards, and a vast majority used Phobos. I see 11/30 used Nemesis while the rest used Phobos. Most of the Nemesis users are on the bottom of that list

I understand now that hoarding humans and saving them one after another after the last human is released is the optimal way to play if scores are the goal, but man I can't get the hang of it. I'll lose multipliers, die from stray bullets while flinging humans, get frazzled from fighting off UFOs, and generally have a bad time. The throw human button is finally seeing some use though, so L2 must be happy.

Lol, throwing humans...I throw them, slowly fly away...and then hesitantly look back to realize that I mistimed the throw...and then I watch them fall to their deaths. Boost + throw is supposed to be amazing but I keep forgetting to do it

So, here's what I want in a title update/DLC patch:

-New themes for the start/menus, better presentation!
Pull a Wipeout HD here and make better use of the game's incredible artstyle... I feel like it's not reflected properly in the blue, plain menu screens. Look at the way Stardust's final score was shown... there was just a much better presentation with that game. The music is incredible, but the menus lack that style Stardust HD had.

-Better integrated social features
What I mean by this is, it'd be cool if when you logged in, the game could "update" you on your friends' scores...so when I start up Resogun, maybe a little ticker tells me my friend beat my highscore on Arcade, or something like that.

-Stat tracking
Probably the most disappointing aspect of the game for me. A game like this begs for deep
stat tracking. How long did I play for? How many hours have I used each ship? What's my
largest multiplier? Most enemies killed without dying?

Addy

Neo Member
Played last night, put PS4 into standby, this morning the game is gone. Any ideas on what happened? Downloading again so should be no big deal since I have PS+ the highscores should be there...I hope

fallingdove

such a great game. i platinumed a couple of weeks ago but i keep going back for more. I know this just came out but i cant wait to see what house marque is working on next.

Marc

Can someone explain the meters to me?

I am trying to do the Drivers License trophy and keep dying stupidly as I think I have boost when I don't so just fly into enemies. I thought it was the meter at the bottom of the ship, now I think its the top one but the colouring makes no sense to me when it has recharged or not.

After Trine 2, I really want this game to have 3D patched in to play with it. Although that could be a while away as I am sure they would prefer to make some DLC first.

I am trying to do the Drivers License trophy and keep dying stupidly as I think I have boost when I don't so just fly into enemies. I thought it was the meter at the bottom of the ship, now I think its the top one but the colouring makes no sense to me when it has recharged or not.

After Trine 2, I really want this game to have 3D patched in to play with it. Although that could be a while away as I am sure they would prefer to make some DLC first.

It's the top meter over the ship and it turns slightly transparent and makes a noise when it has charged. Use the the first ship, I think it's called Ferox. It has 7 agility and 6 boost IIRC. The boost charges faster with it and you get a longer boost.

Marc

Nevermind, turned the sound up and realised there is an alert for this anyway... way easier now. Doh, stupid of me.

EDIT: Phatosaurus - Yeah, that makes sense now... the sound is very helpful too.

Marc

Sorry for spamming but really enjoying this, haha. Just completed Decima on veteran, didn't die once, beat my high score and unlocked the 15x multiplier trophy. Holy crap that was fun, a lot easier knowing about the boost sound.

I am amazed at how deep this game is. All the audio and visual clues, the various quirks to each ship, the order in which you should take out enemies, etc. And I often die when I first notice something unusual in the background, like the movement of water or a structure collapsing. Very clever design.

You can alternatively simply boost through a few enemies and make your partner do all the shooting if in a co-op game.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't played with anything other than Phobos since like my 4th time trying this game. So, I decided to go ahead and get the Nemesis trophy done for fun. I played on Rookie thinking I would suck with the ship, but it's pretty awesome. Those homing shots are insane.

I ended up beating it without dying at all. Not really bragging, it's Rookie after all. But I just kept thinking the ship would be harder to use.

Top Bottom