• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

Zoe

I didn't even know that something happened after taking out the spinning wheel. It's that one that I have so much trouble with. I've tried boosting to the other side but I think I just lose my nerve trying to avoid the bombs and laser coming my way and never go full in for the final light. Thanks for the tips though!

Yeah, boosting to the other side doesn't help because it will change directions to keep that one away from you. I've used overdrive on it before.

Grinchy

Banned
Keep all 10 of your humans alive and don't save them until your multiplier is at max. Drag them all into the portal right before the boss comes in when they start floating. The reason you can throw them is so you can move them around and (herd) them into a pile next to a green lift till the boss comes. You get millions of points this way.

wtf I never would have thought to try that

It seems like such a dangerous thing to do in later levels too, since you could so easily shoot them off the map.

someday

Banned
Yeah, boosting to the other side doesn't help because it will change directions to keep that one away from you. I've used overdrive on it before.

How have you beaten it? I wanted to use overdrive but I guess I had already used it. I've been using the first ship (with less overdrive) so maybe that's a problem too.

Camjo-Z

Finally got the platinum for this. I usually don't like shmups but I thought this one was really good at keeping a balance between accessibility and pure skill.

Also, is it just me or does Phobos feel kind of underpowered compared to Nemesis? I'll take always-ready boost over the occasional extra Overcharge any day.

Is this easier to platinum in coop mode? do you even get trophies in coop or only single player?

You can get trophies in co-op. Trophies for just getting through the game are probably easier, but some of them like the ones for multipliers are more difficult since your partner will be stealing a lot of kills.

Roommate bought a ps4 with a bunch of games and this is easily the best game I played on the system. Easily the most fun. Wouldn't buy a ps4 for it, but yeah it's a fantastic game. HMs best game imo

Zoe

How have you beaten it? I wanted to use overdrive but I guess I had already used it. I've been using the first ship (with less overdrive) so maybe that's a problem too.

Lately I've just gotten lucky in getting close enough to it. Then I use overdrive on the second half.

It's easiest with Nemesis though because of the missiles.

Steroyd

Man, revenge bullets on the final difficulty are so annoying lol.

No kidding, sometimes I'd murder a line of enemies and just stay there waiting to get hit lol.

Also the bosses are brutal, does the 2nd boss 2nd phase on Master difficulty actually charge into you or is it a fake out like the 4th(?) boss on Veteran?

emko

i have only 1CC left and i just cant get it done i get to final stage many times only once did i almost finish the last boss :( any one want to try coop with me just add EMKO333.

I have bf4,cod and killzone and this is the game i play that most !

Mash83

Just unlocked the 1CC trophy, was super tough! I'd be willing to co op if anyone needs help as long as I'm online.

PSN - mshafer7

Edit: Just got my plat! Damn that was hard! Feeling awesome though!

kinn

Loving the game!

Sorry if this has been asked but how many of you guys are playing this on remote play also? If so are you using the default controls? Or changing them? I cant get used to using the rear touch panel myself.

Just fired up the game for the first time this evening and I love it. I haven't felt my brain melt like this since I played Pac-Man CEDX in a near-drunken stupor. I've only scratched the surface but I love Veteran mode already. Looking forward to digging deeper.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I fear that by the time the PS4 is back in stock I will have missed a few awesome PS+ games and this is one of them. :(

Mondy

Banned
I fear that by the time the PS4 is back in stock I will have missed a few awesome PS+ games and this is one of them. :(

Purchase them on the PSN browser store and you won't lose them.

I just played Experienced for the first time and god damn. I made it to the second last phase of the last boss after game overing numerous times and lost all my lives. Incredibly frustrating.

You can get into precarious positions in this game very quickly.

buffi

Banned
Do any ships score higher than others?

Phobos scores the highest since it recharges Overdrive the fastest, and that should lead to higher scores.

Nemesis is the easiest ship to play with, but it has really slow Overdrive charging.

Number45

Honestly never thought I'd be able to platinum this (didn't manage to 100% either of the Super Stardust games) but I just managed it. The 15x multiplier was by far the hardest for me - I actually picked up the 1CC without going for it (was just going for the Nemesis play through trophy). ^_^

Such an amazing game. Proud and happy that this is my first PS4 platinum (Sound Shapes doesn't count).

Cause the BF4 is crashing Im playing this game.
I have a few question

1. Which plane is the best to use?
2. I see some guys with 32mil points on the first level. How is this possible? Do the points stack over all levels?
3. Do you have any tips/tricks?

1. Depends what you want to do. Nemesis probably is the easiest to survive with due to its speed and fast boost recovery. Homing bullets help too. If you are going for high scores the Phobos has the highest score ceiling (due to its overdrive capabilities).

2. Are you looking at Arcade high scores? If so those scores are from people who start Arcade on that level and play through the rest of the game

3. Boost will save your life, try to only use it in short bursts unless its necessary to use it longer. Try to use overdrive on large groups of enemies.

Finally got the platinum for this. I usually don't like shmups but I thought this one was really good at keeping a balance between accessibility and pure skill.

Also, is it just me or does Phobos feel kind of underpowered compared to Nemesis? I'll take always-ready boost over the occasional extra Overcharge any day.

Congrats on the plat :D. Definitely just you haha. The Phobos is by far the most powerful ship, its shots do way more damage than the other two ships. Not to mention its vastly superior overdrive capabilities!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Congrats on the plat :D. Definitely just you haha. The Phobos is by far the most powerful ship, its shots do way more damage than the other two ships. Not to mention its vastly superior overdrive capabilities!
But slow as a tank. I tried it on Veteran last night, and I just don't know if I've got the reflexes to make it work against the sped-up boss attacks.

Number45

Yeah, if you're going for completion I can understand why someone would prefer Nemesis - but for points it's going to be Phobos all day long.

But slow as a tank. I tried it on Veteran last night, and I just don't know if I've got the reflexes to make it work against the sped-up boss attacks.
Most of the bosses aren't alive long enough for it to matter. Those where mobility is key, a very quick burst of the boost will get you out of trouble and recharge with enough time to spare for the next boost.

It's a great game, but doesn't have that 'one more go' appeal of Geometry Wars for me. Perhaps it's because you're not shown the leaderboard straight after every time you play, perhaps it's because I don't have any 'real life' friends with a PS4 yet. But either way, it's still all kinds of awesome.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The "Driver's License" achievement is one of those great achievements that gives you a challenge and teaches you how to be better at the same time.

Now I know how to quickly recharge my boost meter which makes a huge difference in the harder stages/difficulties.

Zoe

The "Driver's License" achievement is one of those great achievements that gives you a challenge and teaches you how to be better at the same time.

Now I know how to quickly recharge my boost meter which makes a huge difference in the harder stages/difficulties.

How's that?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Most of the bosses aren't alive long enough for it to matter. Those where mobility is key, a very quick burst of the boost will get you out of trouble and recharge with enough time to spare for the next boost.
Most, but Boss 2 & 5 are my achilles heel to really using Phobos in the higher difficulties. I have no doubt others have no problem, I'm just speaking to my own deficiencies. :)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
How's that?

When you release the boost button the bubble that briefly surrounds your ship will destroy anything inside it. The more enemies it destroys, the more your boost will recharge. The longer you boost the bigger the radius of the bubble will be. Basically, it's better to boost out of pressure and into a cluster of enemies than is to boost to a completely clear area. This can grant you an immediate recharge sometimes.

Number45

Most, but Boss 2 & 5 are my achilles heel to really using Phobos in the higher difficulties. I have no doubt others have no problem, I'm just speaking to my own deficiencies. :)
Yeah, 5 is the hardest for me but the boost trick I mentioned is enough to get me through. 2 is easy though because the four green sections are gone in a couple of shots and you can take down the middle section in one hit with or without overdrive (where the others need overdrive).

When you release the boost button the bubble that briefly surrounds your ship will destroy anything inside it. The more enemies it destroys, the more your boost will recharge. The longer you boost the bigger the radius of the bubble will be. Basically, it's better to boost out of pressure and into a cluster of enemies than is to boost to a completely clear area. This can grant you an immediate recharge sometimes.
Not exactly related, but does anyone know the specifics of the bonus you get by nailing the timing of the overdrive? I assume any enemies in the bubble give extra points?

Fortunatebeef

Neo Member

Can't agree more. Makes you realise you can use your ship as a mobile bomb.

Jonboy

Jonboy's Pro Tip for 2nd boss

- Hold your final human until just before the boss starts to attack.
- When you save the human, you'll receive a shield.
- This makes the 1st half of the fight much easier. You don't have to be as careful and oddly enough, I find I rarely get hit even with the shield. Something about being able to move freely without the fear of dying is quite liberating for that battle.

test_account

XP-39C²
How do people get so much point? I feel that i'm missing something. I beat the game earlier today on Rookie, i didnt lose my 5x multiplier one time (i didnt die) and i saved all humans. That gave me about 95 million points, but the the first place on the leaderboards on Rookie has over 300 million points. How did that guy gets ~200 million more points than me?

Kssio_Aug

Got my PS4 today. And only Resogun I could try until now!
What a GREAT game! Really fun to play!

Its a shame I am at a very hard week, with my final semester exams at university. =(
When it all end, I want to play my PS4 all night long. =P

I finally platted Resogun!! After hours and much frustration, it's done. The last one I needed was 1CC: Complete Arcade mode without losing all lives, on Experienced difficulty.

The best advice I can give is learn the levels and the enemies. Learn when to expect them and how they move. You have to have patience. This game is 100% rage fuel so learn to stop and take breaks. I've gotten some of the harder trophies done in one shot after taking a break and coming back to it later or the next day.

This game is more addictive than crack. And it's harder than super stardust especially if you are juggling trying to rescue humans, not use bombs, knowing the right times to use boost and keeping the score combo going and all without getting killed. Sometimes there's just so much stuff going on screen that I've got myself killed running into a bullet I haven't seen because my eyes are being assaulted by a hundred things happening at once.

Top Bottom