• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESOGUN |OT| It's about kicking ass, and voxels

DBT85

I haven't played with anything other than Phobos since like my 4th time trying this game. So, I decided to go ahead and get the Nemesis trophy done for fun. I played on Rookie thinking I would suck with the ship, but it's pretty awesome. Those homing shots are insane.

I ended up beating it without dying at all. Not really bragging, it's Rookie after all. But I just kept thinking the ship would be harder to use.

I've read that that's the better ship to start with. I need to try it as I've not yet.

-Better integrated social features
What I mean by this is, it'd be cool if when you logged in, the game could "update" you on your friends' scores...so when I start up Resogun, maybe a little ticker tells me my friend beat my highscore on Arcade, or something like that.

Motorstorm RC did exactly this and it was amazing.

Grinchy

Banned
I've read that that's the better ship to start with. I need to try it as I've not yet.

I could see that being true since you don't really have to aim that well to use it and it can boost out of a lot of situations. Phobos is just so damn powerful though. I like it.

I'll do the Ferox run next.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I came, I saw, I blew stuff up.

The trophies seem a lot easier to get than they should have been. Beating the game on experienced? 15x multiplier? Only required to beat one level on master?
Beating the game on Veteran without losing all your lives, a 20x multiplier and beating every level on master would have been more fitting.

Micromanagement is the only tricky one to get. I found the opportunity to get it on the second level earlier.
The share button came in handy for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNovOeFGoNA
i had the most trouble with the 15x multiplier..

mikromanagement on the other hand unlocked on my first ot second go ever, before i even took a look at the trophy list.

Marc

Beat Veteran, then beat the first level of Master and went from 6 million to 20 million points. Doing much better but don't see how I can get the platinum. Tried completing experienced without a continue but I just suck at some of the bosses and die way too much. Will keep plugging away. :)

Grinchy

Banned
Beat Veteran, then beat the first level of Master and went from 6 million to 20 million points. Doing much better but don't see how I can get the platinum. Tried completing experienced without a continue but I just suck at some of the bosses and die way too much. Will keep plugging away. :)

Oh wow I thought you had to beat the game all the way through on Veteran to unlock Master. I dunno why I assumed that. I need to go unlock that pronto.

I only had 1 life left when I beat it on Experienced for the trophy. I'm definitely not good at beating the game in one run yet.

Croyles

This is Extra Lives:

Level 1: Human 10
Level 2: Human 8
Level 3: Human 7
Level 4: Human 2
Level 5: Humans 9 & 10

Thanks man! Do you have a list for extra bombs?

Also, I seem to have reached my current limit of potential at 80 million on Veteran. I just can't see how I could get double or even triple that amount. Obviously if I don't die and keep the multiplier up at all times I would score a lot better but I don't think that would account for more than 150 million. At the moment I die on average about twice in a whole run and lose my multiplier separately once or twice.

There have gotta be some Overdrive scoring mechanics I'm not understanding yet.

Mondy

Banned
Thanks man! Do you have a list for extra bombs?

Also, I seem to have reached my current limit of potential at 80 million on Veteran. I just can't see how I could get double or even triple that amount. Obviously if I don't die and keep the multiplier up at all times I would score a lot better but I don't think that would account for more than 150 million. At the moment I die on average about twice in a whole run and lose my multiplier separately once or twice.

There have gotta be some Overdrive scoring mechanics I'm not understanding yet.

Nah I don't sorry but I'll let you know when I've nailed it down.

I just got my Gold Veteran trophy. All that's left now is 1cc. I am in need of a co op partner if anyone is willing to help/needs that trophy.

EDIT: Just got Masterful Dodger on my first go. I'm on fucking fire tonight.

Marc

Grinchy - Yeah, I think the extra lives pickups are a must although I don't think I could memorize or comprehend the drop points while playing.

Nah I don't sorry but I'll let you know when I've nailed it down.

I just got my Gold Veteran trophy. All that's left now is 1cc. I am in need of a co op partner if anyone is willing to help/needs that trophy.

EDIT: Just got Masterful Dodger on my first go. I'm on fucking fire tonight.

Sure, I need the trophy as well, if you see me online (ErebusMC) then drop an invite.

Is there anything special you have to do to get the ship playthrough trophies as I used Nemesis throughout veteran but didn't get a trophy for it.

Any tips for the last level on Veteran? Can't beat the boss at all!

Use the Nemesis ship, save some bombs and an overdrive if you can. Keep moving to your left and shooting right. I get to the bit where the red circles come on screen ok, at that point I used a bomb to help speed things up. Keep using your boost to stay out of range. Then when you think you have cleared the tentacle rape part, move back closer to the boss. As soon as he starts shooting boost underneath it. At this point I used overdrive, you will have to keep boosting to readjust your position underneath it as unfortunately the ship doesn't do much damage. Listen for the sound and top bar greying out (this made things so much easier for me).

jsip

Banned
I've read that that's the better ship to start with. I need to try it as I've not yet..

It's not bad but it's insanely weak on Master difficulty. Still tho - with a bit of maneuvering you can beat Master without too many issues. I'm used to Phobos so I wound up running into a bullet and an enemy because Nemesis moves a bit too quick. A little nudge goes a long way haha!

Here's the last level and boss on Master with Nemesis. You can see my tactics for the boss during phase 5:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1386170148298471

It's a public link so everyone should be able to see it. No that's not my real name, either ;)

bobot

Neo Member
I can only score in the low millions so the fact is I must be shit at it.
Love it to pieces though (well to voxels)

Play it at least once a day. Dunno. Has a charm about it I quite like. Think the guys did them selves proud in making it

Oh my GOD you guys!!

Had a near perfect run on Master, Level 1!!

17x multiplier, no lives lost, but used up all my bombs, saved ALL humans!

My score was around 27m for that first level alone. Beat my old record of 21m that spanned the first two levels (have yet to unlock the others on Master)

...AND THEN I BLEW IT ON LEVEL 2!! OH dear GOD! Awfully stupid deaths, overwhelmed and could not process myself or concentrate from the excitement of that awesome first level run. I was utterly broken and shocked. I have never done so well and so poorly back to back like that.

I stumbled my way to the stage 2 boss, but I can NEVER beat this prick on Master. He just keeps spinning the other way when I try to take out his last piece of armour. Such an awful, awful screw up on my part.

jsip

Banned
Oh my GOD you guys!!

My score was around 25m for that first level alone

...AND THEN I BLEW IT ON LEVEL 2!! OH dear GOD! Awfully stupid deaths, overwhelmed and could not process myself or concentrate from the excitement of that awesome first level run. I was utterly broken and shocked.

I stumbled my way to the stage 2 boss, but I can NEVER beat this prick on Master. He just keeps spinning the other way when I try to take out his last piece of armour. Such an awful, awful screw up on my part.
Level 2 boss is easily the hardest in the game. One slow way to take out that last piece of armor so he can flip is to boost to the safe spot nearest the armor between the two red guns. If you are using nemesis, keep shooting away from the boss and the missiles will hit the target. If you are using any other ship, time the gun blasts to peek out of cover and hit the armor a few times then duck back to safety between the red guns.

So you are looking like: armor, red gun, gold, red gun. Sit in the gold close to the boss and every bullet will miss you. You can also shoot past the gun and through the boss to hit the armor when you are on the same horizontal plane at the top and bottom of the rotation.

Oh my GOD you guys!!

My score was around 27m for that first level alone. Beat my old record of 21m that spanned the first two levels (have yet to unlock the others on Master)

...AND THEN I BLEW IT ON LEVEL 2!! OH dear GOD! Awfully stupid deaths, overwhelmed and could not process myself or concentrate from the excitement of that awesome first level run. I was utterly broken and shocked. I have never done so well and so poorly back to back like that.

Nice job. I used to save an overdrive for the first form of the stage 2 boss until I got comfortable enough that I didn't need it. The second form is a lot more manageable. Nowadays I use the last hostage at the last second before the boss is hittable, giving me a shield that I use to take out the green parts quick. Getting caught with the last green part on the opposite side is miserable on master.

^ Haha, yup, I'm using those strategies.

The issue I have is I can never boost past properly and end up in a game of chicken.

I actually got him to phase two on that run, but then Phobos' pathetic speed couldn't save me from the boss. I should have actually ran towards him, and around, but I futilely wasted my boost trying to outrun it.

Croyles

^ Haha, yup, I'm using those strategies.

The issue I have is I can never boost past properly and end up in a game of chicken.

I actually got him to phase two on that run, but then Phobos' pathetic speed couldn't save me from the boss. I should have actually ran towards him, and around, but I futilely wasted my boost trying to outrun it.

Yeah just tap boost really shortly to go past him, repeat until he spins to show his green side, kill that side, boost to other side and if you are quick enough you won't have to even deal with the homing missiles.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I just downloaded this... but it won't let me actually play. Just stuck in a never-ending loading loop.

Do I have to redownload?

Replicant

Is there an unseen, unannounced keeper somewhere between the 5th human and the 6th human? Because often after I save the 5th human, I see the 6th human dying already. But I swear I sometimes don't hear any announcement of "Keepers detected" at all!

Rur0ni

Is there an unseen, unannounced keeper somewhere between the 5th human and the 6th human? Because often after I save the 5th human, I see the 6th human dying already. But I swear I sometimes don't hear any announcement of "Keepers detected" at all!
From what I've seen: keepers are in bulk or in rare cases have to be killed in a certain order, so if you kill one of the "stealth" keepers in the group instead of the one that is glowing it will kill the human.

Other than that, some humans are released randomly by your multiplier with no announcement, just a ball of light leaves it toward a human.

I finally got through all the levels. Going to start working though saving all the humans and beating the game with each ship. It really is a great game.

From what I've seen: keepers are in bulk or in rare cases have to be killed in a certain order, so if you kill one of the "stealth" keepers in the group instead of the one that is glowing it will kill the human.

Other than that, some humans are released randomly by your multiplier with no announcement, just a ball of light leaves it toward a human.

Multiplier humans make a distinct three-tone sound. Would be nice if they explained the exact requirement.

Also, every time the keepers spawn on their little path, doesn't it sound like the first 2 notes to that one soundtrack from Dexter? I'm sure it's the same track in the end credits, but it also exists in scenes from the show

NeoROCK

Can't remember where I originally saw this picture (reddit maybe?) but it's incredibly helpful for anyone who is trying to complete the "Save all humans" trophy.

nNdRkcX.png

^ Awesome!! Would have been sweet if the humans were color-coded to match their effect like in your table

Not sure if you guys read JoeFenix's interview, but I thought it gave some awesome insight to the game: Here

I definitely understand that Resogun is meant to be more focused, and shorter.

This game really makes you learn each stage to near-perfection in order to really exploit the best scores. I am still stuck on stage 2 on Master. I can't imagine Hero mode, but Joe touched on a concern I had with top scores being in the same range a year from now since the game does not loop like SSHD. Seems like Hero mode is built well in that regard.

SSHD's focus is definitely on playing at length, and it seems "padded" compared to Resogun...but I genuinely liked SSHD's sense of building points that way. Resogun's overdrive calculations are still unknown to me. Two questions to those who can answer:

1) Does OD specifically double the score, or multiply it based on the number of enemies you kill? How is the value of each enemy's point score valued?

2) Does the multiplier add up only at the end, or does it consistently take into account every time you kill an enemy?

Because if it only calculates at the post-round screen, then it technically wouldn't be the end of the world if you lose your multiplier early since you can build it back up... but if it counts for each enemy you kill, then the multiplier would matter a lot... and it would factor into your OD points, presumably

Grinchy

Banned
^
2) Does the multiplier add up only at the end, or does it consistently take into account every time you kill an enemy?

Because if it only calculates at the post-round screen, then it technically wouldn't be the end of the world if you lose your multiplier early since you can build it back up... but if it counts for each enemy you kill, then the multiplier would matter a lot... and it would factor into your OD points, presumably

I certainly don't know the right answer for sure, but I'm under the impression that the multiplier is taken into account while you are playing the level. Otherwise, like you point out, it wouldn't really matter very much until the end.

Plus, I get way higher scores when I don't lose my multiplier compared to when I do and build it back up.

I certainly don't know the right answer for sure, but I'm under the impression that the multiplier is taken into account while you are playing the level. Otherwise, like you point out, it wouldn't really matter very much until the end.

Plus, I get way higher scores when I don't lose my multiplier compared to when I do and build it back up.

OK...Yeah, I assume that too. I'm only thrown off because the post-game takes your multiplier into account with addition to your other bonuses.

Sorry to spam, but apparently, releasing R1 (OD) at the right moment triggers an "explosion"??

So, instead of holding it down completely, you can seemingly time it to explode (according to tips on the HM forum)

Also, what's this on "Blue arrow" Humans giving you 5x more points? I only ever recall seeing green arrows

Grinchy

Banned
Also, what's this on "Blue arrow" Humans giving you 5x more points? I only ever recall seeing green arrows

Oooh, is that what the blue arrows mean then? When you rescue a human, the green arrows turn blue for a short period of time. I guess that's why storing all the humans under the rescue beam until the very end of the level results in so many points when you rescue them all at the same time.

And I didn't know that about the boost either. I'm going to mess with that later for sure.

Replicant

Can't remember where I originally saw this picture (reddit maybe?) but it's incredibly helpful for anyone who is trying to complete the "Save all humans" trophy.

nNdRkcX.png

Ah, that explains why I sometimes miss human #7 instead of #6, as I previously thought. If my multiplier sucks then he'd die.

Oooh, is that what the blue arrows mean then? When you rescue a human, the green arrows turn blue for a short period of time. I guess that's why storing all the humans under the rescue beam until the very end of the level results in so many points when you rescue them all at the same time.

And I didn't know that about the boost either. I'm going to mess with that later for sure.

When do the blue arrows pop up? Man this game's intricacies are insane haha

NeoROCK

All the high scores seem to be from North America.
Might be due to getting it earlier.

Is this not free on European PS+ ?

NateDrake

All I need to do is beat the game on Vet., 1CC on Experience, and the Master level to get the Platinum. I can't beat the final boss on Veteran difficulty no matter how hard I try. I may do the 1CC via online co-op. Can I do the Veteran trophy with co-op, also?

All I need to do is beat the game on Vet., 1CC on Experience, and the Master level to get the Platinum. I can't beat the final boss on Veteran difficulty no matter how hard I try. I may do the 1CC via online co-op. Can I do the Veteran trophy with co-op, also?

Yeah.

Arklight

Neo Member
Do you guys have some tips to get a high place in the leaderboards? I'm currently number 265 but this is only from going through Master difficulty and basically doing nothing special other than surviving.

I read somewhere you need to keep all your humans alive under a save-beam and when the boss appears throw them all in? Is that correct?

JoeFenix

I'm currently working on a scoring system tutorial video which should be up this week. It requires ALOT more editing work than my previous videos and I'm still new to this so it's taking some time to put together.

Btw, does anyone know who made that human list? I'd like to link to it in my video notes, I have my own personal list written down but this one looks nice and would save me some time. I would give the person credit of course!

Very nearly killed the final boss on Veteran difficulty tonight. Finding it incredibly tough though. Just getting through the level without losing lives is hard enough.

I don't want to wimp out and quit though!

nNdRkcX.png

This is brilliant. Took me forever to figure out that killing the "specific order" keepers out of order was why I was losing those humans

Beat the game over the weekend on veteran. It wasn't too bad. I have no idea how int he hell im going to get the trophy for not using all of your lives. Woof. My only complaint is that I have a plasma and the ship and bomb icons are big and white and gave my tv a good bit if IR. Its gone now after about 20 hours, but it would be nice to have an option to turn off the hud, or at least make it gray.

Going to try and Plat this someday. Save all humans was surprising easy. Just don't go for that while trying to keep your score up, that's crazy.

I've taken a bit of a break from Resogun after achieving the Platinum trophy and getting into the top 200 on Veteran leaderboards. Still have to play a lot in order to get comfortable at the Master -difficulty, which is a pretty big notch up from Veteran skill-wise. Anyway, the game rocks. I just hope they release an 'Endless' -mode of some sort in the future.

By the way, has Housemarque hinted at Resogun DLC? Super Stardust HD got a few great expansions, and I'd love to see Resogun getting a similar treatment someday.

^ Speaking of DLC, what do you guys prefer?

1) A whole new set of 5 levels complete with new bosses, enemies, and leaderboards
2) New modes, like in SSHD
3) A focus on local multiplayer/co-op modes

Ideally, all three :p

But I wonder, considering Resogun's nature, what kind of new modes they can make. Did you guys like SSHD's Solo pack or Co-Op pack more? Did people find the Solo modes to be too gimmicky?

I'd love to see an expansion pack dedicated to a whole new set of stages

I'm envisioning some awesome expansion pack that takes place in caves and forests, instead of space. Sort of like saving the colonized humans back on earth. It's the same concept, but imagine using lush environments and caves, skyscrapers, waterfalls in the background, etc.

I am having a hard time envisioning what kind of new enemies/bosses they can make considering they seem to have them all down in the base game.

A co-op expansion pack also has a lot of potential, but I much prefer the resources to go towards the single player experience. I still feel like the co-op provided should have been better adjusted to make it seem more unique: sharing multiplier, player-specific enemies, donating bombs/lives to your mates, etc.

Grinchy

Banned
If there was going to be DLC, I'd probably opt for new levels and bosses. I have to imagine that's a lot of work for DLC though.

Mikey Jr.

Just got the platinum.

Last boss on veteran was fucking nerve racking. I went into that boss with 3 lives and finished him off on 0 with a third of his life left.

I was on zero lives, he had a third of his life left, and the mother fucker goes into bullet-hell mode. So many bullets coming from every fucking angle..........

I was in pure zen mode. I wasn't even looking where I was shooting. Overdrive saved my ass in that mode.

Top Bottom