• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

chris-013

Laughing Banana said:
First and foremost: is the English version region free? I am an Asian XBOX360's owner and I don't want a repeat case of FFXIII with Square basically giving me the middle finger after all that hype and waiting..... (*fuck you Square*)

Also: is there any romance? I am a sucker for that, no matter how cliched it may sound :)

Yes the game is region-free on 360. ^^

Paraclete said:
How do you exit combat? I've got some potion thing to do it but it doesn't work? I'm just stuck here retrying over and over again.. :(

If you are trapped with no Escape Hex items, there is no escape.

What's the word on bonus content by the way? Extra dungeons, bosses etc.

There is one bonus dungeon and 9 unlockable difficulties.

And I'll repeat that you don't need to grind to get through the game. If you do most of the side quests and danger zones without grinding, you will be ahead in levels anyway. I've not used the arena much at all, so there's also going up in ranks if you feel underleveled.

You don't need to grind for money either, just set up lots of bonus rings or smackdowns and enemies will rain profitable items on your party.. like 5 pages worth of drops to sell, etc.

Chapter 8 Danger Zones

3x Safety Dwellest lv 52
Reward: Perfect Aid

3x Mad Goliath lv 73
Reward: Bezel Shard
These guys fire tons of poison attacks, and they are covered head to toe in physical attack resisting armor. They also have poorly designed colission boxes about twice their actual size, so running past them usually ends up being interrupted. Don't even think of using tri-attacks because someone will bump into one of the huge idiots and ruin it. The only way I could figure how to beat these guys is Armor Piercing Rounds.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Excellent :) :) :) Thanks for all the answer.

It seems I will pour a lot of time with this game, loving what I see so far (especially the clothing customizations... I love stuff like this). Gotta finish Vesperia first though... :)

Oh, just for the hell of it, fuck you again Square :(

desverger

O hello there. A week to go for us EUropeans. Though I'll most likely start this on my Easter holiday, to give myself enough time to finish FFXIII.

zlatko said:
Alright I'm going to try and give a good preview of the game if anyone is still on the fence on what to expect from this game.

Resonance of Fate is a MUST play for JRPG fans. It's a MUST play if you have enjoyed any tri-ace games. If you fall into either of those two categories then have no fear, because you will enjoy this. The only way I find it might be not fun is if you can't stomach difficulty. This game WILL give you a few game overs and maybe more for those who aren't quick with their brains. :lol While a game like Demon's Souls last year was hard it eventually reached this point of you learning what to expect so that you somewhat coasted to the end of it. Here the regular enemies for most chapters can be dealt with fairly easily, but here and there things get turned up several notches. When that happens be prepared to go all out and hold nothing back, because every turn needs to be the best choice.

I could sit here and explain in full detail the games battle system, but that's just too much writing. It's NOT over complex, but you might find yourself lost if you skip over the tutorial portion in the start of the game. As far as JRPG battle systems go it's one of tri-aces most shining ones yet. They might not hit the ball out of the park always with stories or characters, but they def. hit a grand slam with how fights work in this game. It'll keep you on your toes enough from start to finish unlike some RPGs which have you just mashing X when grinding.

The game characters and the world they are placed in is all very well realized. The cast being guns for hire in this futuristic world fits and their personalities all do well to stand out. It's a bit of a stretch maybe to say they aren't cliched, but they aren't annoying. Compared to tri-aces SO4 cast these characters you can like, laugh along with or at the very least not be muting them or rolling your eyes at them. To add to the world it's just great to look at in the various places you will visit. While the environments might seem hollow the detail of the place you are in really fits the games style with mechanized gears and long ways down. The world map specifically looks great when you peer over the edge to see the draw distance down and how spectacular Basel really is. To add to the world immersion there is a night and day cycle too. It effects what monsters you can find, strength of enemies, where NPCs can be, and how the world looks.

The story and the dialogue to move it forward is probably not going to trounce whatever your favorite RPG is and heck it might not make your top 10, but it may very well be the best this generation has offered for some. Lip syncing isn't perfect, but it doesn't detract from the experience. It's a shame this game couldn't have had a bigger budget to iron things like this over for the nit pickers, but what can you do?

Exploration and customization are key to filling in the extra hours. Side quests encompass every chapter as well as tough monster fights to be found. Uncovering more of Basel, upgrading guns, and changing your clothes all add to your overall game time and enjoyment of the game. A fighting arena is also included to reward those who like to get their feet wet with some difficult fights the harder you go and the pay out is cash as well as a coins currency to trade for better gear than stores have. This is the only time I could think where DLC for a RPG could work really well. With more fights to try in the arena or more dungeons to uncover on the world map thanks to the hexagon system the developers COULD have stretched this game out more for the fans, but again I doubt it will be in the budget.

Music and sound as a whole needs to be addressed. This game has a fantastic soundtrack. I believe I've already encountered 4-5 different tracks just for the battle theme that ALL fit very well to the monsters being fought. Now of course this is purely opinion and others have different tastes in music, but a few hits of youtube to hear the OST and you might agree. The game also has voices for NPCs in towns that all fit from what I can tell and the NPCs you find in areas have a sense of belonging to where they are. A minor complaint is some areas you can visit that have no monsters also do not have any NPCs and can feel empty. Sound effects within game all feel mechanized and the sound of machine gun fire against metal enemies is almost music to my ears on its own accord. :D

It's hard to stress why this game is as good as it is without you playing it. The real driving factor IS the battle system. While I don't go into depth on it you can find previews of it and videos from the OP as well as some searching of your own. I don't think all previews cover every facet of it either, but once you see just how much you are given to play with you will feel like a kid at a candy store. :lol

If you are looking for direct comparisons to FF13 from me I am probably the wrong guy for that. I think FF13 is a solid 8.5 to 9 in my book(Haven't hit a solid # I want to stick with), but just from my (I want to say 14 hours?) time with RoF I can easily say I am enjoying more than I did the first 14ish hours of FF13 by a LONG stretch. If the game keeps this pacing and fun all the way to the end then it will be a major success in my book. FF13 really picks up steam at Chapter 11+ and when it does well holy hell it's like a complete 180 from a boring game into an amazing game. :lol

FF13 haters who wanted towns, side quests from the get go...wait let me stress how get go get go is. Intro CG scene takes maybe 3 minutes, then if you check your clock in the main menu for when the game lets you play it's only 4 minutes into it. 4 minutes into RoF you can already explore the starting town, talk to npcs, get side quests, explore the world map, start fighting enemies, do a tutorial(optional), and go advance the story from cut scenes. That's a LOT of variety and it lets the player pick right away where you want to go. So if you WERE/ARE a hater of that aspect of FF13(most of us are and who could blame us), then have no fear because RoF doesn't dabble in a linear approach for a long time. That's not to say this game doesn't have its linear parts. Dungeons are so far just a sets of rooms with monsters to fight or skip with some variations on treasure rooms with fights down other corridors. The story is also a straight shot of chapter to chapter linearity, but I can't really think of a JRPG that doesn't pull you through this way for the most part. Some games have multiple endings to branch itself off, but for the most part JRPGs follow this formula for story telling.

RoF wants to kick your butt. RoF wants to suck you into its world and lose hours in it just beating up baddies. RoF wants you to think and be involved when you are fighting. It's just a game that wants and NEEDS to be played by the JRPG fan masses. Spread the word, because I'd love to see tri-ace get the right message that this IS the right step forward in this genre. It might also wake up SquareEnix to see that a game they passed on was actually a BETTER approach and step forward this generation for JRPGs. I hope it meets at least a big of a success as Demon's Souls or Valkyria Chronicles from the niche crowd spreading it around.

(Sorry for the giant wall of text and I actually fell asleep half way into writing this because I'm so tired. Skimming through it I can tell I might have not elaborated or worded things well enough, but hopefully my general message reaches people----BUY THIS GAME)
Nice post!

This is the most informative post I've read so far, with no spoilers! Thanks!

Still on the fence though! :D

so i actually made it to chapter 4 yesterday and i unlocked B-style clothing. my god i spent over 30K buying new shit yesterday :lol I'll never get that gun.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
DMPrince said:
so i actually made it to chapter 4 yesterday and i unlocked B-style clothing. my god i spent over 30K buying new shit yesterday :lol I'll never get that gun.

I just find it kinda lame that Zephyr is the one that gets most of the clothing, I want to make my Leanne look nicer! =(

survivor

Banned
DMPrince said:
Since buying clothes is really addicting, how will you attempt buying more better weapons? Can you easily find money or does it require you to grind for long times?

-DarKaoZ- said:
I just find it kinda lame that Zephyr is the one that gets most of the clothing, I want to make my Leanne look nicer! =(

Yeah. i noticed. but leanne got some good ones. i'm sporting the (Vis) Bordeux Shirt with (vis Mine Skirt and aviator sunglasses.

I also hate the choker zephyr wears wtf. it ruins the whole look.

survivor

Banned
Gummy Panda said:
Sorry if this was already answered but did the boobs/dance scene make it into the western release or did SEGA cut it?
I believe it did. I think we can see Vashyron from that scene in the Game Trailers review. Dunno if they still have the boobs bouncing or not.

Gummy Panda

Neo Member
survivor said:
I believe it did. I think we can see Vashyron from that scene in the Game Trailers review. Dunno if they still have the boobs bouncing or not.
Hopefully it's in it. I want to see Nolan North try pull off that scene. The Japanese one was awesome :D

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
lol I just notice that Tri-Ace forgot to rebrand one of Zephyr shirts, it says EOE (which means End of Eternity), they should had changed to RoF. :lol

outsidah

Soooo many good games coming out right now. I want to pick this one up but I can't keep adding to the backlog. I think this will have to be picked up later when on sale.

Llyranor

Liking the impressions and GT review.

Though, does the full game seem to have extra layers of depth compared to the demo (if not in gameplay mechanics, then in battle encounter design)? I liked it, but it kept me on the fence. Hearing about variety and difficulty in combat sounds good, though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Random Notes to make sure you're paying attention!

Please note that there are some items that are only good for selling for rubies (Like Meat) and some items that are only good for breaking down (Like Oil Cans). You'll get a good amount of money from selling these, they make going after big purchases much easer, especially if you farm enemies that drop alot of the stuff.

Also, there are a Mix of RoF and EoE items for Zephyr's B-side, I don't think it's an error at all. I love the EoE shirt that's styled after the SEGA logo.

My take on the story, up to chapter 4 or so: It's like watching a bunch of Stand-alone episodes that focus on the strongest part of this games story, the 3 leads themselves! I really like this approach so far, personally. Each chapter so far is a self-contained tale, and I think it's a great method for really appreciating the characters.

Also, if you let the game sit at the title screen, you'll get a bonus CG detailing the situation with Zenith and the Prelate's death... kinda random thing to have wedged in there, but it's quite lengthy, and basically has 2 "parts" so don't press start after the first black screen!

Dead

well not really...yet
SAB CA said:
Random Notes to make sure you're paying attention!

Please note that there are some items that are only good for selling for rubies (Like Meat) and some items that are only good for breaking down (Like Oil Cans). You'll get a good amount of money from selling these, they make going after big purchases much easer, especially if you farm enemies that drop alot of the stuff.

Also, there are a Mix of RoF and EoE items for Zephyr's B-side, I don't think it's an error at all. I love the EoE shirt that's styled after the SEGA logo.

My take on the story, up to chapter 4 or so: It's like watching a bunch of Stand-alone episodes that focus on the strongest part of this games story, the 3 leads themselves! I really like this approach so far, personally. Each chapter so far is a self-contained tale, and I think it's a great method for really appreciating the characters.

Also, if you let the game sit at the title screen, you'll get a bonus CG detailing the situation with Zenith and the Prelate's death... kinda random thing to have wedged in there, but it's quite lengthy, and basically has 2 "parts" so don't press start after the first black screen!
:0 Had no idea!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Dead said:
:0 Had no idea!

He either! Checking it out now!!

BTW, does someone know how to deal with Chapter 4 Dwellest or whatever they are called in Level 6? The Leader of that group is damn hard to beat! And every attack it does takes 700 point or more, and not even scratch damage seems to work on it.

-DarKaoZ- said:
He either! Checking it out now!!

BTW, does someone know how to deal with Chapter 4 Dwellest or whatever they are called in Level 6? The Leader of that group is damn hard to beat! And every attack it does takes 700 point or more, and not even scratch damage seems to work on it.
i'm about to head to that right now... o.o

EDIT: They got some tough armor. does grenades work and using special bullets for zephyr?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
DMPrince said:
i'm about to head to that right now... o.o

If you are, then do not enter the red zone without exclamation mark, that is the one the Dwellest are at. Also SAVE! Because you can't escape from it without using a escape Hex (I don't want to use them, might be useful later).

EDIT: I tried grenades and it didn't work that well, I couldn't destroy his armor (that includes Grenades, Molotovs and Electric Grenades). I didn't have special bullets, so I didn't use them. =/

-DarKaoZ- said:
If you are, then do not enter the red zone without exclamation mark, that is the one the Dwellest are at. Also SAVE! Because you can't escape from it without using a escape Hex (I don't want to use them, might be useful later).
yeah. i saved before i went. I died trying :lol. I'll come back to that after i'm done with the other missions and story event.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
DMPrince said:
yeah. i saved before i went. I died trying :lol. I'll come back to that after i'm done with the other missions and story event.

I want to kill it, because it has a doll and it seems that will be useful for a future item. Since the guy that ask you for a doll before, said that if you find more dolls to give it to him, so maybe it will be a good idea to get it.

oh. have you tried using metal coated rounds for zephyr. it works good for armor. at least the guy in the shop said so. should help break them down to get to their skin.

Dead

well not really...yet
-DarKaoZ- said:

EDIT: I tried grenades and it didn't work that well, I couldn't destroy his armor (that includes Grenades, Molotovs and Electric Grenades). I didn't have special bullets, so I didn't use them. =/
Heres how I did it

Scratch damage with Vashyron + the metal piercing rounds
Leanne with Grenades
Zephyr used as bait

Using the electric grenades will slow him down A LOT

Try to position your characters so that he will aim and attack for Zephyr, and heal him regularly so you don't go into condition critical

While Vash causes scratch damage, take him out with Grenade +, Molotoc Cocktails +, or just regular old grenades using Leanne

You should be able to take out the 2 henchman on the first turn using 2 hero gauges, and killing them both will full replenish your gauge as well

It also pleases me to no end that they use the names of real guns and not some shitty made up name.

also with the tri-attacks, do I have to get every member to run between each other for them to successfully work?

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
This is the only game in recent memory that I had to voluntarly go to the tutorial to
even be decent in battle. I am currently juggling FFXIII and GoW and I had an easier time grasping the battle mechanics with reckless abandon better than ROF.

But...After the tutorial I was a John Woo stunt double in no time and I immensely loved the freedom of the battle system and strats that you can employ

Now all I need is more time in the day (family, work, etc) :p

May16

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
This is the most informative post I've read so far, with no spoilers! Thanks!

Still on the fence though! :D
I agree: Great post, zlatko! You're doing a service to a lot of RPG lovers by delivering that info -- it's even more than Sega itself has provided. ...Which says good things about you and bad things about Sega...

Here are some other informative pieces:
-All About Resonance of Fate's World
-All about Resonance of Fate's Battle System

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
YuriLowell said:
It also pleases me to no end that they use the names of real guns and not some shitty made up name.

also with the tri-attacks, do I have to get every member to run between each other for them to successfully work?

Nah, as long as you pass 1 time between 2 characters (blue line) you can do the Tri-attack, but they will only do 1 lap, the more times you pass through the blue lines and resonate with your party members, the more laps they will do during tri attack.

eXistor

Fuck! Part of me really wants to play it (I've liked just about every Tri-Ace game there is, even Infinite Undiscovery and Radiata Stories). But I really don't think I have time to play this. I'm currently playing Yakuza 2 in preperation of 3. Playing FFXIII (so far more button mashing than playing), DA: Awakenings is on its way, Red Seeds Profile should hit the mailbox any day...and now another huge game...I think I'm gonna like it, but I just don't know...

Mudkips

Banned
Suairyu said:
In fairness, these sorts of games often lack good instruction or demonstration of good tactical play.

Valkyria Chronicles is one of my favourite games this generation, but early on there were a lot of failures due to nuances of the system I didn't think the game had adequately explained to me. It took a good few chapters before I could say that every death was a strategic failure on my part rather than uncertainty about mechanical operation.

Nuances? I loved VC, but let's be honest - the combat is shit.

The mechanics are sound, and there's potential for greatness. But because you're ranked purely on the number of moves you take, the best strategy is always to issue some orders from Welkin and have Alicia go balls-deep into enemy territory.

Sure, you can play intelligently, but you're actually punished for doing so.

The combat would be great if it weren't for the overpowered orders, the focus on number of turns, and the often awful AI.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
To survive the tough battles in RoF, you need to use cover, I been using it a lot and its a life saver, specially against bosses. (Chapter 2 and 3 bosses specially)

So RoF has a lot of tactical thinking and they reward you for doing so, I like this game battle system, is like the DMC for RPGs, really fun and gives you options, even with the small amount of weapons, compared to most massive collection of weapons in RPG. :lol

People need to start posting fashion photos of their characters, and giving fashion tips! :D

Also, the English voice acting seems really good. I've always been partial to Japanese voice acting, and I've only got time to play this game through ONCE. Which option should I choose?

Mudkips said:
Nuances? I loved VC, but let's be honest - the combat is shit.

The mechanics are sound, and there's potential for greatness. But because you're ranked purely on the number of moves you take, the best strategy is always to issue some orders from Welkin and have Alicia go balls-deep into enemy territory.

Sure, you can play intelligently, but you're actually punished for doing so.

The combat would be great if it weren't for the overpowered orders, the focus on number of turns, and the often awful AI.

Just because the ranking system is shit does not mean the combat is shit.
AI is generally fine, and you don't have to use orders.

Dresden

radiantdreamer said:
People need to start posting fashion photos of their characters, and giving fashion tips! :D

Also, the English voice acting seems really good. I've always been partial to Japanese voice acting, and I've only got time to play this game through ONCE. Which option should I choose?

From everything we've seen, the English dub sounded superb. And one poster here said that using the Japanese track made all the battle cues incomprehensible.

radiantdreamer said:

ENGLISH!

I would post my fashion images but I have bad lighting! ;(

jiien

It is getting really hard to keep my copy sealed. I really, really want to finish at least the main storyline of FF before I jump into this, because from what it sounds like (and VP2 is one of my favorite games of all time), I'm going to be stuck on this game for a very long time.

But I wanted to do a bunch of grinding before I finished out the story in FF...:( WHAT TO DO.

Paraclete said:
I'll post up some fashion pics in a bit, right now I'm trying to finish up Ch 3(already 12 hrs into the game lol)
*high five* i thought i played slow. 13 hours in and almost done with chapter 4 :lol.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I have 12 hrs and I finished Chapter 4, just doing some stocking before going to Ch 5. I can buy now the SG-8226, but dunno if I should buy it or not.... Is it worth it?? (its the 100000 R gun)

EDIT: Oh yeah, btw, I managed to kill that Fucking Dweller. :lol

-DarKaoZ- said:
I have 12 hrs and I finished Chapter 4, just doing some stocking before going to Ch 5. I can buy now the SG-8226, but dunno if I should buy it or not.... Is it worth it?? (its the 100000 R gun)
you should save and buy and see? may have more weapon ports on it.
EDIT: Well the base stat looks good. probably have basic ports and maybe more? so you should be fine.
---

Does battle at night differ from day? I've only seen night/day affect meeting people in town.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
DMPrince said:
you should save and buy and see? may have more weapon ports on it.
EDIT: Well the base stat looks good. probably have basic ports and maybe more? so you should be fine.
---

Does battle at night differ from day? I've only seen night/day affect meeting people in town.

I might give it a try in Ch 5.

Oh :lol @
Cardinal Pater going gay for Zephyr

Yeah. He was hanging outside the house a few times and actually managed to say something before running away :lol. Can't wait to see what else he does (Well i saw some from Gametrailer video) Pater <3

About to head off to fight the Dweller. managed to have everyone over 1K HP now. so hopefully I can survive.

BTW> we should all post our fashion and gun layout. I stacked a top sight on a top sight with a scope :lol. so good. now my weapon will load faster!

survivor

Banned
OMG OMG OMG

Just called Gamestop and they said they have the game. Hell yeah. Just gonna eat lunch and then go pick it up.

Weird thing they didn't call me since I already have the damn thing pre-ordered.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
DMPrince said:
Yeah. He was hanging outside the house a few times and actually managed to say something before running away :lol. Can't wait to see what else he does (Well i saw some from Gametrailer video) Pater <3

About to head off to fight the Dweller. managed to have everyone over 1K HP now. so hopefully I can survive.

BTW> we should all post our fashion and gun layout. I stacked a top sight on a top sight with a scope :lol. so good. now my weapon will load faster!

Remember to get Metal passing bullets, or what ever they are called. You can dismantle Old HG and MG (hand guns and machine guns) you have in your inventory for Scrap Metal and Gel. And use the tactic Dead said. Worked wonderfully, and if you got 3 or 4 hero bars, use them to do a Tri-Attack. I gave Zephyr the healing box, while Leanne had the Grenade box, that worked fine with me.

And I will post pictures ones I get my character the way I want them to look, so don't worry. :lol

Top Bottom