• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Paraclete

Banned
Just picked the title up today. So far I've played about 2.5 hrs an got to the 2nd Chapter just now. I'm absolutely LOVING it! IMO it's WAY better than FFXIII and SO4.

The combat is amazing, characters aren't awful like in FFXIII, voices are great, music is pretty damn good, and the graphics(while a bit washed out) look pretty nifty.

Just from the small amount of time I've put into it I'd give it a solid 8.5/10.

Dead

well not really...yet
zlatko said:
Two things to comment on before I give my big impressions later tonight on the game.

1) Anyone else beat that level 48 Gremlin/troll guy in chapter 3? I managed to do it on my third try. I was only like level 9 with Vashyron and level 8 and 7 with Leanne and Zephyr. It's such an interesting thing to see yourself be so lower leveled and beat it with a good strategy and items. :D

2) I'm just curious about terminals on the world map. If I get a whole level colored in gray will they activate? Or does it specifically have to be ALL a certain color, so you'd have to make a full red level of hexes for the effect to take place on that level or does gray work ?

A more detailed and wall of text sum up of the game will come later tonight. Spoiler to that impression: I love this game. :lol
I beat him, as well as the one on level 5.

Those fights ate up a shitload of healing potions though

Dead said:
I beat him, as well as the one on level 5.

Those fights ate up a shitload of healing potions though

Kite the dolled-up dwellest with your MG user - his melee dive is avoidable if you keep running. Once he attacks with his melee dive, cancel back to your MG user (by pressing B/X) then hit him with 3-4 charges of MG fire while it gets back up from its melee dive. Position your HG user behind your MG user to get off a HG shot and cash in on the scratch damage. Keep kiting back and forth and you can kill it without needing to use items, etc.

There are many more danger zones that pop up as you progress in chapters. The chapter 7 ones were a bit of a pain.. but nothing too serious yet.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Does someone know if you leave Vashyron "Secret Stash" alone (not getting it) for several chapters, will the money you gain accumulate?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, pick Vashyron as your walking character, go to the BASE/House, then go to the Licor shelve, then press Check. If you get 1000 money every time you check, but I'm curious if you leave it, will you get more than 1000?

Dead

well not really...yet
mjemirzian said:
Kite the dolled-up dwellest with your MG user - his melee dive is avoidable if you keep running. Once he attacks with his melee dive, cancel back to your MG user (by pressing B/X) then hit him with 3-4 charges of MG fire while it gets back up from its melee dive. Position your HG user behind your MG user to get off a HG shot and cash in on the scratch damage. Keep kiting back and forth and you can kill it without needing to use items, etc.

There are many more danger zones that pop up as you progress in chapters. The chapter 7 ones were a bit of a pain.. but nothing too serious yet.
kite?

-DarKaoZ- said:
Does someone know if you leave Vashyron "Secret Stash" alone (not getting it) for several chapters, will the money you gain accumulate?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, pick Vashyron as your walking character, go to the BASE/House, then go to the Licor shelve, then press Check. If you get 1000 money every time you check, but I'm curious if you leave it, will you get more than 1000?
I just got 1400 during chapter 3

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Dead said:
I took it earlier.

Hmmm... I wonder if someone can try and not take the stash for 1 chapter and see if they get more than what we know already, which is Chapter 0 - 2 = 1000 R, Chapter 3 = 1400 R.

Varion

Khezu said:
Not sure if its been posted but GT gave it an 8
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-resonance-of/63361

Most of the review is really positive, said the story was kinda meh, and its very hard.
Aw man, I think that just broke me. Not what the guy was saying, the actual video bit. Everything looks a lot better than I expected, especially the environments (though the demo set my expectations low on those).

Screw it, preordered. No more cream cakes for the rest of the semester for this.

I made a huge mistake. I just went in and checked, elevators DO carry the colour to the connecting floor's elevator tile. I can't believe I never tried that before.

Loxley

Okay...so I'm actually thinking about picking this up. However ,if I did, I'd pick up the strategy guide with it. I never play JRPG's (I gave Tales of Vesperia a try based on GAF recommendations and was unforunetely very disappointed with it) and based on what I've heard about the game's difficulty, for someone who's barely touched the genre it seems like a necessary evil if there's a lot of strategy involved with the combat.

Essentially what's intriguing me about it is what I've been fucking wanting from JRPG's for a while now, something unique. And not just combat-wise, but aesthetics as well. I'm a sucker for steam-punkish styles, and admittedly yes, the whole "big-hair & big-swords" thing kept me from trying any JRPG that had it. I also dig the idea of character and weapon customization in a game such as this (I realize the character stuff is just clothing but still, it's something).

Hmmm...

Loxley said:
Okay...so I'm actually thinking about picking this up. However ,if I did, I'd pick up the strategy guide with it. I never play JRPG's (I gave Tales of Vesperia a try based on GAF recommendations and was unforunetely very disappointed with it) and based on what I've heard about the game's difficulty, for someone who's barely touched the genre it seems like a necessary evil if there's a lot of strategy involved with the combat.

It's a Brady Games guide. They are well known as the worst guide publishers. They always suggest grinding instead of an appropriate strategy, because the writers are usually too stupid to figure one out.

They are usually only useful for lists and maps and data, but even then they can't hold a candle to the Ultimania guides.

This game isn't exactly for beginners.. but anyone with enough patience can complete a traditional RPG by grinding.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Loxley said:

Essentially what's intriguing me about it is what I've been fucking wanting from JRPG's for a while now, something unique. And not just combat-wise, but aesthetics as well. I'm a sucker for steam-punkish styles, and admittedly yes, the whole "big-hair & big-swords" thing kept me from trying any JRPG that had it. I also dig the idea of character and weapon customization in a game such as this (I realize the character stuff is just clothing but still, it's something).

Hmmm...

Well you will requiere a lot of grinding in this game it seems, but the battle system is damn fun and the game teaches you the basics, you can train in the Arena. Also the story is light hearted in a good way, is funny and it doesn't try to be over dramatic, is just a "typical life" story situation so far.

I heard it gets more serious later on, but I can see how that will be. Your characters are Hunters and the first missions are for you to learn the place and the characters, so you take odd jobs and see how they are as characters, so far its funny and cool. :D

Paraclete

Banned
I just finished that Tesla boss, and my only gripe so far with the game is that the rewards(for how difficult things are so far) have been pretty weak.

Dead

well not really...yet
damn, I hate how all my characters are leveling up lopsided due to only one of them being able to use grenades (and yes I keep swapping it around)

Beginning of chapter 3, Vashyron at lvl 15, Zephyr at 12 and Leanne at lvl 18

Dead said:
damn, I hate how all my characters are leveling up lopsided due to only one of them being able to use grenades (and yes I keep swapping it around)

Beginning of chapter 3, Vashyron at lvl 15, Zephyr at 12 and Leanne at lvl 18
mine seem to be fine since i don't use throwing weapons. Vash is at 10, Zeph 8, and Leanne 8. just started chapter 3. you should use less grenades? ;P

Dead

well not really...yet
DMPrince said:
mine seem to be fine since i don't use throwing weapons. Vash is at 10, Zeph 8, and Leanne 8. just started chapter 3. you should use less grenades? ;P
hell no! Grenades are way too useful :lol

How's the battle system? Does it drag and get tedious after awhile or is it always fun and refreshing?

For example, is grinding a tedious, well, er...grind?

Dead

well not really...yet
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
How's the battle system? Does it drag and get tedious after awhile or is it always fun and refreshing?

For example, is grinding a tedious, well, er...grind?
Its held up so far, though theres obviously still a ton of game to go...

But this is definitely a game where you HAVE to grind, at the very least so you can get enough Hexes to fill out the world map. And its definitely worth it to unlock every single hex so you can get every item, which can include the hero gauge pieces that you normally get from Boss fights.

Dead said:
Its held up so far, though theres obviously still a ton of game to go...

But this is definitely a game where you HAVE to grind, at the very least so you can get enough Hexes to fill out the world map. And its definitely worth it to unlock every single hex so you can get every item, which can include the hero gauge pieces that you normally get from Boss fights.
Thanks for the info.

I can definitely handle grinding, if the battle system is always exciting and fun.

Hope RoF is like that. It was really hard to stay patient with Valkryie Profile 2's grinding.

Dead said:
hell no! Grenades are way too useful :lol
well i got some elemental grenades. must be useful. I'm going to start using! I can't wait to able to afford a second gun :lol. 100k rubies! Wtf (I would have had the money but you know dressing up my character >>> buying weapons) :lol.

Dead

well not really...yet
DMPrince said:
well i got some elemental grenades. must be useful. I'm going to start using! I can't wait to able to afford a second gun :lol. 100k rubies! Wtf (I would have had the money but you know dressing up my character >>> buying weapons) :lol.
are you selling meat?

By the time I realised meat was for nothing more than selling, I had like 65 of em. They're worth 500 each.

Have about 80,000 in monies so far. So close to getting that 2nd gun!!

Dead said:
are you selling meat?

By the time I realised meat was for nothing more than selling, I had like 65 of em. They're worth 500 each.

Have about 80,000 in monies so far. So close to getting that 2nd gun!!

yes but i buy clothes with my money. :lol. i have to keep looking good for battles and those cutscenes!

EDIT:

I love the little convos before the start of battle.
Zephyr: *snickers*
Leanne: What's so funny?
Zephyr: Nothing I just remembered something.
Leanne: If it's about me you can just forget it.

Dead

well not really...yet
I haven't spent that much on clothes yet. I'm waiting on different styles to be available, rather than just differently colored versions of what i'm currently wearing.

Though I did give glasses to both Zephyr and Leanne!

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
DMPrince said:
yes but i buy clothes with my money. :lol. i have to keep looking good for battles and those cutscenes!

EDIT:

I love the little convos before the start of battle.
Zephyr: *snickers*
Leanne: What's so funny?
Zephyr: Nothing I just remembered something.
Leanne: If it's about me you can just forget it.

That is nothing, when Vashyron gets the winning screen I got:
"when ever I see a enemy, I just see a pile of cash, wait... that can't be good
I just :lol :lol

Anyways, Mission question, I'm on Chapter 3 and
Where can I find the engineer or mechanic for the girl that is on the guild? I just can't find a guy. =/

Edit: oh shit, I thought someone had posted something already, damn I feel bad by posting 2 times. :lol

graywolf323

how is the story? I'm on the fence about this game but all this talk is making me really consider buying it but if the story is meh I think I can wait for it to go down in price

Paraclete

Banned
How do you exit combat? I've got some potion thing to do it but it doesn't work? I'm just stuck here retrying over and over again.. :(

Other than towns you visit, there seems to be no dungeon exploration at all.

Is everything done on the hex map or are there dungeons you can go into explore, find items, fight random battles, etc., like a traditional JRPG?

-DarKaoZ- said:
Anyways, Mission question, I'm on Chapter 3 and
Where can I find the engineer or mechanic for the girl that is on the guild? I just can't find a guy. =/

Is that the one with the girl in the wheelchair? Then
you're looking for the guy bent over searching through the trash.

graywolf323 said:
how is the story? I'm on the fence about this game but all this talk is making me really consider buying it but if the story is meh I think I can wait for it to go down in price

I think the story elements are fun. The characters are pretty charismatic. For the first part of the game the story elements are mainly character building/ interactions with some foreshadowing, so if you're a person who thinks stories should be all about exciting plot events then the story will probably disappoint you.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Other than towns you visit, there seems to be no dungeon exploration at all.

Is everything done on the hex map or are there dungeons you can go into explore, find items, fight random battles, etc., like a traditional JRPG?

This is what you meant by exploration? My reply earlier basically summed up the exploration in the game. Dungeons are strings of battle rooms, the map is the map. You place hexes to open it up, get to challenge fights and find items. If walking through a regular JRPG dungeon is 'exploration' then no, you won't get to do that here.

Paraclete

Banned
Another minor gripe is that you can't use Y(your menu for items/weapons/etc) while in the combat/dungeon mode. Kinda dumb to have to run away to the world map to actually equip things... :(

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
chicken_ramen said:
Is that the one with the girl in the wheelchair? Then
you're looking for the guy bent over searching through the trash.

I thought so... I just couldn't find him, then I notice he was in a place and I could hardly see it because I'm playing in SD tv and it look like part of the background. :lol

Paraclete said:
Another minor gripe is that you can't use Y(your menu for items/weapons/etc) while in the combat/dungeon mode. Kinda dumb to have to run away to the world map to actually equip things... :(

You can press SELECT/BACK in battle to change TOOLS, that is all. You just need to get ready before battle, like in any RPG.

zlatko

Banned
Alright I'm going to try and give a good preview of the game if anyone is still on the fence on what to expect from this game.

Resonance of Fate is a MUST play for JRPG fans. It's a MUST play if you have enjoyed any tri-ace games. If you fall into either of those two categories then have no fear, because you will enjoy this. The only way I find it might be not fun is if you can't stomach difficulty. This game WILL give you a few game overs and maybe more for those who aren't quick with their brains. :lol While a game like Demon's Souls last year was hard it eventually reached this point of you learning what to expect so that you somewhat coasted to the end of it. Here the regular enemies for most chapters can be dealt with fairly easily, but here and there things get turned up several notches. When that happens be prepared to go all out and hold nothing back, because every turn needs to be the best choice.

I could sit here and explain in full detail the games battle system, but that's just too much writing. It's NOT over complex, but you might find yourself lost if you skip over the tutorial portion in the start of the game. As far as JRPG battle systems go it's one of tri-aces most shining ones yet. They might not hit the ball out of the park always with stories or characters, but they def. hit a grand slam with how fights work in this game. It'll keep you on your toes enough from start to finish unlike some RPGs which have you just mashing X when grinding.

The game characters and the world they are placed in is all very well realized. The cast being guns for hire in this futuristic world fits and their personalities all do well to stand out. It's a bit of a stretch maybe to say they aren't cliched, but they aren't annoying. Compared to tri-aces SO4 cast these characters you can like, laugh along with or at the very least not be muting them or rolling your eyes at them. To add to the world it's just great to look at in the various places you will visit. While the environments might seem hollow the detail of the place you are in really fits the games style with mechanized gears and long ways down. The world map specifically looks great when you peer over the edge to see the draw distance down and how spectacular Basel really is. To add to the world immersion there is a night and day cycle too. It effects what monsters you can find, strength of enemies, where NPCs can be, and how the world looks.

The story and the dialogue to move it forward is probably not going to trounce whatever your favorite RPG is and heck it might not make your top 10, but it may very well be the best this generation has offered for some. Lip syncing isn't perfect, but it doesn't detract from the experience. It's a shame this game couldn't have had a bigger budget to iron things like this over for the nit pickers, but what can you do?

Exploration and customization are key to filling in the extra hours. Side quests encompass every chapter as well as tough monster fights to be found. Uncovering more of Basel, upgrading guns, and changing your clothes all add to your overall game time and enjoyment of the game. A fighting arena is also included to reward those who like to get their feet wet with some difficult fights the harder you go and the pay out is cash as well as a coins currency to trade for better gear than stores have. This is the only time I could think where DLC for a RPG could work really well. With more fights to try in the arena or more dungeons to uncover on the world map thanks to the hexagon system the developers COULD have stretched this game out more for the fans, but again I doubt it will be in the budget.

Music and sound as a whole needs to be addressed. This game has a fantastic soundtrack. I believe I've already encountered 4-5 different tracks just for the battle theme that ALL fit very well to the monsters being fought. Now of course this is purely opinion and others have different tastes in music, but a few hits of youtube to hear the OST and you might agree. The game also has voices for NPCs in towns that all fit from what I can tell and the NPCs you find in areas have a sense of belonging to where they are. A minor complaint is some areas you can visit that have no monsters also do not have any NPCs and can feel empty. Sound effects within game all feel mechanized and the sound of machine gun fire against metal enemies is almost music to my ears on its own accord. :D

It's hard to stress why this game is as good as it is without you playing it. The real driving factor IS the battle system. While I don't go into depth on it you can find previews of it and videos from the OP as well as some searching of your own. I don't think all previews cover every facet of it either, but once you see just how much you are given to play with you will feel like a kid at a candy store. :lol

If you are looking for direct comparisons to FF13 from me I am probably the wrong guy for that. I think FF13 is a solid 8.5 to 9 in my book(Haven't hit a solid # I want to stick with), but just from my (I want to say 14 hours?) time with RoF I can easily say I am enjoying more than I did the first 14ish hours of FF13 by a LONG stretch. If the game keeps this pacing and fun all the way to the end then it will be a major success in my book. FF13 really picks up steam at Chapter 11+ and when it does well holy hell it's like a complete 180 from a boring game into an amazing game. :lol

FF13 haters who wanted towns, side quests from the get go...wait let me stress how get go get go is. Intro CG scene takes maybe 3 minutes, then if you check your clock in the main menu for when the game lets you play it's only 4 minutes into it. 4 minutes into RoF you can already explore the starting town, talk to npcs, get side quests, explore the world map, start fighting enemies, do a tutorial(optional), and go advance the story from cut scenes. That's a LOT of variety and it lets the player pick right away where you want to go. So if you WERE/ARE a hater of that aspect of FF13(most of us are and who could blame us), then have no fear because RoF doesn't dabble in a linear approach for a long time. That's not to say this game doesn't have its linear parts. Dungeons are so far just a sets of rooms with monsters to fight or skip with some variations on treasure rooms with fights down other corridors. The story is also a straight shot of chapter to chapter linearity, but I can't really think of a JRPG that doesn't pull you through this way for the most part. Some games have multiple endings to branch itself off, but for the most part JRPGs follow this formula for story telling.

RoF wants to kick your butt. RoF wants to suck you into its world and lose hours in it just beating up baddies. RoF wants you to think and be involved when you are fighting. It's just a game that wants and NEEDS to be played by the JRPG fan masses. Spread the word, because I'd love to see tri-ace get the right message that this IS the right step forward in this genre. It might also wake up SquareEnix to see that a game they passed on was actually a BETTER approach and step forward this generation for JRPGs. I hope it meets at least a big of a success as Demon's Souls or Valkyria Chronicles from the niche crowd spreading it around.

(Sorry for the giant wall of text and I actually fell asleep half way into writing this because I'm so tired. Skimming through it I can tell I might have not elaborated or worded things well enough, but hopefully my general message reaches people----BUY THIS GAME)

zlatko said:
*Detailed Impressions*

Good stuff. I was pretty unsure about the game at first (Tri-Ace...) but I thought the demo was really good and pre-ordered it around December time. Comes out next week in the UK so I'm looking forward to it.

What's the word on bonus content by the way? Extra dungeons, bosses etc.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
First and foremost: is the English version region free? I am an Asian XBOX360's owner and I don't want a repeat case of FFXIII with Square basically giving me the middle finger after all that hype and waiting..... (*fuck you Square*)

Also: is there any romance? I am a sucker for that, no matter how cliched it may sound :)

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Laughing Banana said:
First and foremost: is the English version region free? I am an Asian XBOX360's owner and I don't want a repeat case of FFXIII with Square basically giving me the middle finger after all that hype and waiting..... (*fuck you Square*)

Also: is there any romance? I am a sucker for that, no matter how cliched it may sound :)

Since you are in 360, its most likely Region Restricted, PS3 games are 99% of the time region free. And about Romance? Well for my 11 hrs of gameplay, there seems to be a hint of it, but I don't know, still in chapter 4, doing lots of grinding which is damn fun. (never thought I would say something like that in a RPG lol)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Laughing Banana said:

Play-Asia says your good on using a US copy.

Top Bottom