• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Paraclete

Banned
Ughh I give up. I'm gonna take a break for a couple days from this game. It's amazingly fun when it works, but the rest of the time its overly challenging and downright infuriating. Just wait til you get to the Yeti part.

survivor said:
My problem was not knowing which part I was hitting. In the tutorial, I think the circular thing around the enemy was broken up into 4 different parts and it kinda seemed hard to position my attack. I think I just need more practice time with it.

You will always hit the outermost segment you're facing if you're on the ground. The actual position of bits on the enemy is less important than the semi-circle representing those parts. If you're shooting at a semi-circle, you're hitting that part. In the air you do random damage to all parts. I'd have to go check if there's more than that to being in the air. I have memories of breaking stuff on top of an enemy by jumping, but I'd imagine that was because they were weaker and had a bigger target than the other parts.

Paraclete said:
Oh wtf my last save was 1.5 hrs ago? FML I'm not replaying this section again

Ugggggggh why must they have ENEMIES + a BOSS? its hard enough as it is to fight someone who freezes you without some little pansies running around doing it too.

Minor enemies are often mainly fodder to help you refill your gems.

Paraclete said:
Ughh I give up. I'm gonna take a break for a couple days from this game. It's amazingly fun when it works, but the rest of the time its overly challenging and downright infuriating. Just wait til you get to the Yeti part.
Is that Silver Canyon?

Some enemies have a delay to their melee attacks that is long enough for you to avoid taking any damage. It's also possible to run out of range of a charging enemy attack, or run behind cover.

Try to conserve hero bezels by finishing scratched up enemies off in normal mode when possible.

If an enemy is targetting someone else besides the character you control, they will not fire until you've finished your normal mode turn. On the other hand, if they are targetting the character you control, they will fire on you during your turn.

When firing in normal mode, enemies will manually turn their armored side towards you to avoid taking body damage. To get around this, perform a Hero Action or try to knock them down then quickly switch to another character and attack while they are recovering.

The B button can be used to cancel a turn in progress, but it also has uses when it is not currently anybody's turn. You'll notice that after you take a characters turn, you can't press LB/RB to select them again. By pressing the B button once or twice, you'll be able to use that same character again. However, using the B button to re-use a character comes with some penalties. Your Resonance count is decreased by 1, and a very small amount of time passes, enough to let an enemy with a charged up action gague perform their attack.

Pay attention to the letters on the enemy's action gague - it lets you know who they are targeting (Z, V, or R).

When you jump over an enemy, you can usually hit their main body, avoiding having to break their armor.

Rookie Grenades are a good, cheap way to level up throwing weapons - just fully scratch an enemy and throw a rookie grenade to cash in.

Paraclete said:

hit him from behind with incendiary ammo or a molotov cocktail.. he will catch on fire and take major scratch damage

I'm on ch 11 btw.. no grinding or using a guide either.. you just have to use your brain

there are far worse enemies in the game than those guys..

Paraclete

Banned
mjemirzian said:
hit him from behind with incendiary ammo or a molotov cocktail.. he will catch on fire and take major scratch damage

I'm on ch 11 btw.. no grinding or using a guide either.. you just have to use your brain

there are far worse enemies in the game than those guys..
Yea I figured that part out, but what I'm having issues with is dealing with his freezing/insane dmg he does. All of my people are lvl 22, but he kills them in 2 hits.

mjc

Cloudy said:
Getting this tomorrow. Which version is better?

Not this shit again...(no offense to you personally, more a general comment)

They're the same. Do you like trophies or achievements better? There's your choice.

Found a giftcard and reward zone certificate hanging around in my BB account. This appears to be backordered there, but they aren't carrying Fragile so I don't know what else to do with them. Will definitely sit on the shelf for a while :(.

How are the achievements in this game? Are they easy and come at a steady pace?

Im compulsive with my RPGs and knowing i get "rewarded" for it always dulls the pain of the hours lost :D .

Paraclete

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:

Im compulsive with my RPGs and knowing i get "rewarded" for it always dulls the pain of the hours lost :D .
Fairly easy. You get one for each Ch/Prologue, as well as for doing certain things during the battles(killing enemies barehanded, killing 2 at once, 1000 hero actions, etc)

Gamer @ Heart said:

You should get them easily. story trophies. kill XXX enemies. spend XXX money. do X attacks. do X attack on XX enemies.

survivor

Banned
DMPrince said:
completing the game by getting all trophies?
It was posted on GameFAQs so I don't know if it's legit or not

Clear a Second Playthrough (Gold) Cleared a second playthrough! Congratulations! and... Thank you!!

Paraclete said:
Yea I figured that part out, but what I'm having issues with is dealing with his freezing/insane dmg he does. All of my people are lvl 22, but he kills them in 2 hits.

Once he's on fire it doesn't matter if your MG user gets frozen, you can still finish it off with your HG user as long as you stay alive long enough to let the fire dots tick on it.

You can use an escape hex to get out of the dungeon quickly if needed and resupply or buy freezing resistance gear. I know there's a save point in that dungeon that's right next to the boss.

survivor said:
It was posted on GameFAQs so I don't know if it's legit or not

Clear a Second Playthrough (Gold) Cleared a second playthrough! Congratulations! and... Thank you!!
IDK. it's hard to tell since there's no trophy list that shows hidden and the list on the system sucks as well as i know there's
chapters in the game but following the hidden ones are more hidden trophies to figure what it is :lol.
hmm. i just checked on ps3trophies.org. there

EDIT: New Game+. lol @ higher difficulty.

Found a guide to all the achievements (Trophies) http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=214339

j_hiro

Paraclete said:

If you haven't get the cold resist gear and maybe even the antifreeze accessory if you really want insurance. With the fire scratch damage you'll be getting hero points back real quick so just try to strategically move around the map avoiding him.

Paraclete

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Once he's on fire it doesn't matter if your MG user gets frozen, you can still finish it off with your HG user as long as you stay alive long enough to let the fire dots tick on it.

You can use an escape hex to get out of the dungeon quickly if needed and resupply or buy freezing resistance gear. I know there's a save point in that dungeon that's right next to the boss.
I thought you couldn't use the escape hex if its a boss dungeon?

Paraclete said:
I thought you couldn't use the escape hex if its a boss dungeon?

umm not sure on that one.. give it a try.

Did you save at the abandoned energy waystation before going in?

Mad Goliaths and Piledriver Giants.. and whatever else the game wants to call them.. are the most annoying generic enemies yet. The giants are even more annoying due to their regen rate. The developers really screwed up the collision detection boxes on these things.. the boxes are like 1.5x the actual size of the giant. You can't safely use a tri-attack around them because someone will bump into their unfairly sized hit boxes.

Bad tri-ace, bad!

Lard

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Holy shit at the raisins scene - that's beyond bizarre I just have to have it. Comedy gold.

Indeed,

I am suitably impressed.

( :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol )

RobbieNick

LOL He looks a bit like Brent Sienna in that scene.:lol

I'm seriously considering this game. I enjoyed the Japanese demo, and the cutscenes make it seem to be a cut above the average JRPG. Should I pick it up now since it's kinda hard to find, or wait for the inevitable price drop since it's guaranteed to flop under the mighty weight of FF13? (It should at least sell out most of it's first run copies since they put out so little.)

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Man, Im stuck in the Mannequins mission in Ch 5, I can't get any HEADS, I have more than 20 of Torso, legs and arms, but I just can't get any heads. =/

-DarKaoZ- said:
Man, Im stuck in the Mannequins mission in Ch 5, I can't get any HEADS, I have more than 20 of Torso, legs and arms, but I just can't get any heads. =/

I skipped that quest. It looked like a drag.

Just got to ch 12.. I can see how some people would wrongly claim that you have to grind.. there are a few bosses and side quest/danger zone enemies that will make your average rpg player wet themselves. If you're having trouble with the first few chapter bosses.. that's a bad sign because it only gets worse.

My levels so far with no grinding.. doing most of the side quests/all danger zones/no arena (yet)

Start of Ch 5 - lv 21-22.. lv 9 MG/HG, and lv 2-4 grenades
Start of Ch 6 - lv 26-27.. lv 11-12 MG/HG, and lv 3-5 grenades
Start of Ch 7 - lv 33-34.. lv 12-16 mg/hg and lv 5-9 grenades
Start of Ch 8 - lv 41-45.. lv 17-20 mg/hg, lv 7-9 grenades
Start of Ch 9 - lv 46-53.. lv 19-22 mg/hg, lv 7-13 grenades
Start of Ch 10 - lv 52-54.. lv 19-23 mg/hg, lv 10-13 grenades
Start of Ch 11 - lv 58-61.. lv 21-25 mg/hg, lv 13-17 grenades

mjemirzian you said you aren't grinding but you're switch weapon usage along the way correct? Looking at what you posted its indicative that it just flows better game wise to do so as you go. I feel that I'm grinding a tad in chapter 1 here but I suppose that falls under "doing it wrong". Its best to go as you moving along?

Urban Scholar said:
mjemirzian you said you aren't grinding but you're switch weapon usage along the way correct? Looking at what you posted its indicative that it just flows better game wise to do so as you go. I feel that I'm grinding a tad in chapter 1 here but I suppose that falls under "doing it wrong". Its best to go as you moving along?

There's nothing wrong with grinding if you're having trouble. But claiming that you have to grind to get through the game is a false statement.

Yeah I'm always switching weapons around. I found Rookie Grenades to be very useful (and cheap) for leveling grenades on scratched up enemies.

so i discovered arena and the lovely prizes it offers. ugh :lol.
i checked my record and noticed i spent over 100K on clothing! :lol.

Ricker

Wow...not grasping this game at all so far...I don`t get the Hex map overworld way to advance,and i`ll have to do the turorial one more time in the arena because the combat is still a huge mess for me also so far :lol ...also,this won`t keep me from enjoying the game once I understand it but graphically,playing this right after FFXIII...ouch hehe.Taking a break now because I sense a headache coming.

hmm.. best way to make the game easier? dual wield MGs and customize as much charge speed and charge acceleration on them as possible. Head into the Dakota Mine on level 9 asap to grab a second MG in the back. hmm I have 60 charge rate and 19% acceleration on the DWs and I can charge up 30 MG levels on a Hero Action passby pretty easily.

Oh lord.. christmas quest.. why tri-ace, why?!?

Ok I defeated chapter 1 boss a few hours and I've clearing up to rank 5 star in the arena. Indeed this game is best played thinking, hence the truth of its nature tactical. On many occasion I barely avoided critical condition when in actuality the simplest solution was the answer. Smaller and or easier defeats then proceeding to larger greater threats. hmm, I don't think I can offer greater impressions as of now.

have to head to work unfortunately

Top Bottom