• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Also, I decided to buy this title new and just buy FFXIII used. I know FF will do fine so I'm trying to support RoF any way I can. Plus, our store is only getting three PS3 copies :(

mAcOdIn

Well, my preorder did not come in today like the call said, or it did and they sold it and didn't want to admit that. Either way I was on my lunch break so didn't have time to really press things to see if I needed to start looking elsewhere or not, I'll try again tomorrow, until then I live vicariously through you guys.

how am i supppose to get some colored hex? old man said fight near the area to see if enemy dropped but nothing happend (been fighting for awhile). and how do i gain access to other shapes? missed a mission because of that ;(

Edit: well nevermind

Well, I have a copy! But I ain't opening it until I read more reviews, impressions, and fully convinced that it's worth playing!

But I'll eventually keep it.

I love these kinds of games even though I never pass some of them! :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Well, I have a copy! But I ain't opening it until I read more reviews, impressions, and fully convinced that it's worth playing!

But I'll eventually keep it.

I love these kinds of games even though I never pass some of them! :lol
Give it to me! I'll give you all the reviews and impressions you want! :D

Alex

I'm pretty wary of Tri-Ace lately, but all of the Silmeria name dropping piques my interest. Still, I couldn't find a copy at all today. Looks like I'm orderin' it online. Christ Sega is such a hobo of a publisher.

brilliant game. absolutely destroys ff13

Final Fantasy XIII is a bold new style in game development.

1.) Create a beautiful, free roaming world, areas with lots of subpaths full of decent exploration, a meaningful upgrade to the clumsy Sphere Grid, fun item and boss hunting and some genuinely cool gameplay all around. An interesting fusion of the good pieces of FFXII and FFX-2.

2.) LOCK THAT SHIT AWAY. IT'S ANIME TIME, BABY.

3.) 30 hours later, whip it out! Look what we've been hiding from you! Now the fun REALLY begins!

4.) Lol jk, games about to end.

Dresden

hamchan said:
How many people here are similar to me and like both FFXIII and RoF?
Me.

Don't see the need to shit on one game and praise the other, I'll have both and most likely like both.

Alex

I did enjoy Final Fantasy XIII, strong majority of the title being a guilty pleasure but I did enjoy it on the whole. But I'm not going to pretend that whipping out the actual Final Fantasy game with 15% or so to go wasn't absolutely infuriating.

There was the potential for a completely excellent game tucked away behind all of the hand holding, hallways, locks and tutorials and IMO they proved it before whisking the game to a brief end. It's extremely depressing. Pretending it's got better game design than it actually does probably isn't going to cure that for me.

Both games are decent. I like RoF's combat but I don't like the traditional RPG stuff (endless backtracking the same area, elevator running, lame side quests with no combat, random battles, etc.)

Just reached Ch 6, party is lv 26. I have balanced everyones MG/HG at 11-12, and grenades are still 3-4.. I can probably get a big jump on levels just by tossing a couple grenades on a scratched up big HP enemy.

Also I have to laugh at the Games Radar review where they whine they didn't have the weight limit to dual wield HGs (you get informed about dual wield at the start of Ch 6). "When our party was temporarily reduced to two members we were told about dual-wielding. Maddeningly, neither of the remaining characters was able to shoulder the weight of two weapons simultaneously."

What's the amazing secret to fitting under the weight limit if you aren't level 30? Take off some custom components from the weapon, which all have some amount of weight.

Games Radar staff is maddeningly stupid.

Alex

mjemirzian said:
Both games are decent. I like RoF's combat but I don't like the traditional RPG stuff (endless backtracking the same area, elevator running, lame side quests with no combat, random battles, etc.)

Just reached Ch 6, party is lv 26. I have balanced everyones MG/HG at 11-12, and grenades are still 3-4.. I can probably get a big jump on levels just by tossing a couple grenades on a scratched up big HP enemy.

Also I have to laugh at the Games Radar review where they whine they didn't have the weight limit to dual wield HGs (you get informed about dual wield at the start of Ch 6). "When our party was temporarily reduced to two members we were told about dual-wielding. Maddeningly, neither of the remaining characters was able to shoulder the weight of two weapons simultaneously."

What's the amazing secret to fitting under the weight limit if you aren't level 30? Take off some custom components from the weapon, which all have some amount of weight.

This is pretty much what you get with RPG and strategy game reviews from big, enthusiast sites. They almost always botch up sweeping sections of the game in a most obtuse fashion. Any region or subgenre, even if they ultimately score well, usually gets some pretty awkward text from a lot of sites.

One really memorable one that got some interesting notions on old school GAF was this PSX SRPG, IGN started completely inventing problems with the game because they couldn't cope with the difficulty and called out on it. Ah, I wish I could remember the name.

Aaron

mjemirzian said:
This has been true for years. Also, Game Informer rates a game according to what they guess the public perception of it to be. In other words, if it's not getting a big push, don't expect it to get a high score. You're sweating reviews most people just ignore.

Alex said:
One really memorable one that got some interesting notions on old school GAF was this PSX SRPG, IGN started completely inventing problems with the game because they couldn't cope with the difficulty and called out on it. Ah, I wish I could remember the name.

One IGN review that ticked me off was the Front Mission 4 review, where the reviewer spent the entire game huddling in a corner repairing while letting one enemy come at him at a time. then had the gall to complain the game was 'slow and boring'. Of course we know what happened to the Front Mission franchise after the bad press/sales of FM4 in NA...

And the game you are talking about is probably Hoshigami.

You're sweating reviews most people just ignore.

Most RPG fans may ignore it, but the press has influence on everyone else.

Aaron said:
This has been true for years. Also, Game Informer rates a game according to what they guess the public perception of it to be. In other words, if it's not getting a big push, don't expect it to get a high score. You're sweating reviews most people just ignore.

This point is generally true but they did give Valkyria Chronicles a 8.5 (but then again VC had a bigger push behind it).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Good Lord this game has to be studied to play it properly.

So I'm at the end of the tutorial and I can't figure out how to do Smackdowns. I hit X to do a Hero Action, set my anchor point so my path will go right through my targeted enemy, then start moving. I hit X again to jump and A to begin attacking the enemy as I'm jumping over it... but it doesn't register that as a Smackdown.

So what the hell is a Smackdown?

Pachael

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah. The Best Buys I went to said they're only getting in two copies! Just two! While they have hundreds of FFXIII's everywhere.

Sega sent this game to die.

At least they didn't (?) cut conte

Danthrax said:
Good Lord this game has to be studied to play it properly.

So I'm at the end of the tutorial and I can't figure out how to do Smackdowns. I hit X to do a Hero Action, set my anchor point so my path will go right through my targeted enemy, then start moving. I hit X again to jump and A to begin attacking the enemy as I'm jumping over it... but it doesn't register that as a Smackdown.

So what the hell is a Smackdown?

You must first fire at it from the ground and get "target airborne" status, then you jump and attack.

My levels so far with no grinding

Start of Ch 5 - level 21-22.. lv 9 MG/HG, and lv 2-4 grenades
Start of Ch 6 - level 26-27.. lv 11-12 MG/HG, and lv 3-5 grenades
Start of Ch 7 - level 33-34..lv 12-16 mg/hg and lv 5-9 grenades

Chapter 5 danger zone

2x rocketfoot, lv 24, 1x hooded gangster
Reward: Perfect Aid

3x gangster, lv?

Chapter 6 danger zone

2x Missile Gear, lv 54
Reward: Bezel Shard

6x Silver Jelly, lv 28

Chapter 7 danger zone.. most of these are a little difficult if you haven't been grinding for xp/money.. but you don't have to kite enemies around like the ch 3 ones.

5x Heavy Tiger, lv 28
Reward: Bezel Shard

2x Hot Dog lv 21, 1x Dolled-Up Dog lv 46
Reward: Witchy Bazooka (quest item)

3x Torch Gremlin lv 19, 1x Dolled-Up Gremlin lv 41
Reward: Bound Doll (quest item)

Missile Plow lv 67

Firestorm

Why the hell don't some of you people pre-order niche games you want? Anyhoo, don't know if it's the same in the US but my copy has B&W instructions (except for cover) and the flimsy case :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
mjemirzian said:
You must first fire at it from the ground and get "target airborne" status, then you jump and attack.

Oh!! Thank you so much. The tutorial didn't give me that impression at ALL. I turned the game off for the night but I'll give that a try next time I start it up.

Firestorm said:
Why the hell don't some of you people pre-order niche games you want? Anyhoo, don't know if it's the same in the US but my copy has B&W instructions (except for cover) and the flimsy case :(

I'm in the U.S. and my instructions are in black and white, besides the cover. I didn't notice the case being particularly flimsy, but it does have an odd design to its inside (I know there are like 50 different designs for 360 covers, heh.)

Honestly, I didn't think this game would be that niche, distribution-wise, considering Sega is publishing it. But Best Buy said they weren't getting the game in until Thursday, and Wal-Mart didn't have it in their system at all. I finally broke down and went to GameStop (I'm sorry GAF!!) where they had just six copies of the 360 version and two copies of the PS3 version (both of those were reserved, though, so they had no extras). So I'm surprised it's in such limited quantities. It may be lucky to get 50k between the two versions on the March NPD.

kiryogi

Banned
Maybe it's because it's super late but I can't figure out how tri-attacks work or what the purpose is. I can activate them but whats the point? I know you can switch characters, so you can always attack with the same person? Would you want to switch characters so if that person is running in front then you'd want to attack with them? I assume also when you run out of gauge, all 3 attack @ once?

kiryogi said:
Maybe it's because it's super late but I can't figure out how tri-attacks work or what the purpose is. I can activate them but whats the point? I know you can switch characters, so you can always attack with the same person? Would you want to switch characters so if that person is running in front then you'd want to attack with them? I assume also when you run out of gauge, all 3 attack @ once?

They cost just 1 crystal, and can do the work of several. Your MG can run past a shield, full scratch it and then a HG will break it off, or at least be in a position to do so immediately after the attack. Perhaps you've got two holes into the enemies main body, one on each side, you could with one attack, scratch from one side by using the MG as the character you start with, and then the character on the other side would convert the scratch into real damage. Thats just one situation. One crystal in one attack's length of time doing to job of two, three, six, etc. When you have more crystals it's easier to do much more devastating things with a well set up tri attack.

If you run out of gauge, by which you probably mean get each character to their target point on the triangle (each resonance point will shift your characters one corner around the triangle, 3 points will do a full revolution) then your characters stop dead, if your character has a certain item they will fire whatever they've got stored up, but otherwise its all gone as with any other attack. All three will attack in sequence whenever you tell the one you control to attack. Useful in certain situations but it can be hard to set up. Also, I think, and I meant to confirm this but forgot, if the target is not in the centre of the triangle only two characters will participate.

DMPrince said:
So i ended up at Downtown in Chapter 1 only to find out about the lvl 17 boss. WTF. i was at lvl 5/6 :lol.

Bosses and challenge fights will be a higher level than you, it's not to tell you to grind. Playing the game normally should have you powerful enough to beat them. Level 5-6 is good enough for the end of the first chapter. The level is an indication of their relative strength to regular enemies, but you aren't required to be a similar level to fight them.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jack Random said:
hmm, ebgames.com tells me

No products found within 100 miles of this ZIP code.

The zip code is in midtown manhattan
Call the stores to ask.

It says the same for me, but the stores here received the game yesterday

survivor

Banned
Gonna try my luck with Gamestop again today. I just hope they don't give me the same answer by saying it's sold out even though I have a damn pre-order.

really enjoying this game, great contrast to FFXIII (beautiful as a movie, boring to play)

soooooo pleased I picked it up. with this Yakuza 3, FFXIII, DA Awakenings, Infinite space (and ME2 to finish) its an amazing time for RPG's

chicken_ramen said:
Bosses and challenge fights will be a higher level than you, it's not to tell you to grind. Playing the game normally should have you powerful enough to beat them. Level 5-6 is good enough for the end of the first chapter. The level is an indication of their relative strength to regular enemies, but you aren't required to be a similar level to fight them.

am i suppose to have 3 hero gauge? it seems I need more as i always end up in critical. and Tri-attack helps but it won't destroy the armor as well to refill the gauge back up. maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Mudo

Bought. I played 2 hours last night and so far:

+Great great music
+I like the graphic style I think it's really nice and the town definitely give me a major VP vibe (especially combined with the music)

I think I messed up in the beginning. I didn't get to the "tutorial" area right away and was thrown into a battle. I was standing there like...uhhh....what now LOL. I managed to beat it just by spamming attack button.

Now that I have gotten through some of the tutorials, things are making much more sense and the battle system seems like fun. The way movement works really does remind me of Valkyria Chronicles and that is a good thing.

The Hex grip overworld map is pretty..and you can rotate it which is nice. I haven't done much with it so I can't say much yet about it.

Voice acting has been good. Not great to me, but not bad at all.

Overall I'm impressed so far and can't wait to get a couple more hours in tonight after work.

Shouta said:
You want the DTS, oh god you want the DTS (though I don't know if it's mixed well since I don't have a speaker system). The music in the game is fantastic.

Graphics are nice aside from the character models I think. VP2 style walking around towns and a few places look pretty nice.

Honestly, going by the demo, it sounds outstanding. There was great clarity, direction and proper levels with voices and such.

DMPrince said:
am i suppose to have 3 hero gauge? it seems I need more as i always end up in critical. and Tri-attack helps but it won't destroy the armor as well to refill the gauge back up. maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Yeah, you'll only have 3 until you collect more shards (four make one gem), usually from boss fights, but some optional challenge fights had some I think.

An invincible attack will use a gem, and breaking armour/weapons or killing an enemy will give you back a gem. It becomes all about your economy of attacks. When you're in a situation where you might have a character lose all their health, having only one gem left is a precarious place to put yourself. Being down to one also means that you can't do an MG run, because they'll never pick one up. Try not to just spam the invincible attacks, but to plan each one so that you come out even in the short term. MG invincible attack to set up some armour breaks then HG to pick up two of those, bringing you back to even. Or MG invincible attack to set up one break, and pick it up with a normal attack from a HG. In the first chapter economy shouldn't matter so much outside the boss fight, but it's something you'll learn to watch in the coming chapters.

Be sure to pick up the shards that come off you when you get knocked out. If you win the battle you'll get all the shards that are lying on the floor back. But they'll heal enemies who will pick them up and then you won't get them back until you rest. The same is true if you run out of a room while some are on the floor, resting will be the only way to get them back.

If a title is brand new and is posted as no location within 100 miles has it, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not at your local store. The best thing to do will be to call your local GS and EB. Sometimes when a new title comes out, the site doesn't update accurately until maybe the week after.

chicken_ramen said:
Yeah, you'll only have 3 until you collect more shards (four make one gem), usually from boss fights, but some optional challenge fights had some I think.

An invincible attack will use a gem, and breaking armour/weapons or killing an enemy will give you back a gem. It becomes all about your economy of attacks. When you're in a situation where you might have a character lose all their health, having only one gem left is a precarious place to put yourself. Being down to one also means that you can't do an MG run, because they'll never pick one up. Try not to just spam the invincible attacks, but to plan each one so that you come out even in the short term. MG invincible attack to set up some armour breaks then HG to pick up two of those, bringing you back to even. Or MG invincible attack to set up one break, and pick it up with a normal attack from a HG. In the first chapter economy shouldn't matter so much outside the boss fight, but it's something you'll learn to watch in the coming chapters.

Be sure to pick up the shards that come off you when you get knocked out. If you win the battle you'll get all the shards that are lying on the floor back. But they'll heal enemies who will pick them up and then you won't get them back until you rest. The same is true if you run out of a room while some are on the floor, resting will be the only way to get them back.

thanks. you're right. it does require you to think and strategize and manage your hero gauge. but once i figured out what i had to do. i beat him :lol.

EDIT: The Chapter 2 intro :lol. So good.

survivor

Banned
Called in 2 Gamestops, both said the game will come out tomorrow. Called in Microplay, same answer, but at least he said tomorrow morning.

Sigh, I feel like I will never play this game

I can't believe there's still no reviews for this. I'm talking about from the major review sites.

Not that I rely on reviews or anything, but it's still nice to know what kind of scores this will get.

Sega did not send out review copies apparently so you'll likely have to wait a week before major sites put up their reviews.

And if you see any 'early reviews' you'll know it's because they couldn't be assed to finish the game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
mjemirzian said:
Sega did not send out review copies apparently so you'll likely have to wait a week before major sites put up their reviews.

And if you see any 'early reviews' you'll know it's because they couldn't be assed to finish the game.
Based on his Xbox live and PSN accounts, the gameinformer reviewer didn't even insert the disk :lol *

*Of course he could have simply played it on the office's xbox. Still, I have a hard time believing that the guy got through a 40+ hour RPG in the span of a few days (max) while at the company office. It just doesn't gel.

zlatko

Banned
Two things to comment on before I give my big impressions later tonight on the game.

1) Anyone else beat that level 48 Gremlin/troll guy in chapter 3? I managed to do it on my third try. I was only like level 9 with Vashyron and level 8 and 7 with Leanne and Zephyr. It's such an interesting thing to see yourself be so lower leveled and beat it with a good strategy and items. :D

2) I'm just curious about terminals on the world map. If I get a whole level colored in gray will they activate? Or does it specifically have to be ALL a certain color, so you'd have to make a full red level of hexes for the effect to take place on that level or does gray work ?

A more detailed and wall of text sum up of the game will come later tonight. Spoiler to that impression: I love this game. :lol

zlatko said:
Two things to comment on before I give my big impressions later tonight on the game.

1) Anyone else beat that level 48 Gremlin/troll guy in chapter 3? I managed to do it on my third try. I was only like level 9 with Vashyron and level 8 and 7 with Leanne and Zephyr. It's such an interesting thing to see yourself be so lower leveled and beat it with a good strategy and items. :D

2) I'm just curious about terminals on the world map. If I get a whole level colored in gray will they activate? Or does it specifically have to be ALL a certain color, so you'd have to make a full red level of hexes for the effect to take place on that level or does gray work ?

A more detailed and wall of text sum up of the game will come later tonight. Spoiler to that impression: I love this game. :lol

yes, it's been beaten.. you don't need to use items though. there are lots of danger zones that pop up every chapter to challenge you.

I'm not sure about white colored terminals, but the colored terminals work by placing similar colored hexes from the terminal to another structure (elevator, dungeon, etc.)

zlatko

Banned
mjemirzian said:
yes, it's been beaten.. you don't need to use items though. there are lots of danger zones that pop up every chapter to challenge you.

I'm not sure about white colored terminals, but the colored terminals work by placing similar colored hexes from the terminal to another structure (elevator, dungeon, etc.)

Ah okay cool. If you get it to the elevator then it effects what it connects to as well right ?

zlatko said:
Ah okay cool. If you get it to the elevator then it effects what it connects to as well right ?

Yes. I'm not sure at the moment how to get the white terminals to work. Maybe they become active later in the game.

zlatko said:

There has to be enough of a certain colour to match the number required on the terminal. If two terminals get connected you'll need the sum of both to get them to work. The effect will only be for similarly coloured and connected hexes, this also works for dungeons if you connect then colour them whole from the outside. Terminals are white to begin with and must be connected with a colour by using other coloured starting points on the map. Connecting the terminal to a elevator will do nothing special AFAIK.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
kiryogi said:
yeah, you'd want to start with the guy closest to the enemy, then the second closest and finally the farthest one. so you can build up one big attack.

So far only the mentally handicapped people over at Game Informer have given the game a low score. I expect the average to be around 81-78%

Top Bottom