• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

hmm.. for anyone wondering what a good kitted out machine gun looks like. This could be improved slightly with another Expander T Sub-Barrel (didn't have the parts so I just put on the Short Sub-Barrel). You can see it's optimized for charge acceleration, which is pretty much the most important weapon stat, because it lets you reach those high charge levels quickly and activate high level skills.

Edit: looks like there are new parts for sale that would let me get an extra column of barrels going outward.

The gun customization is fun, but the UI needs improvement. There should be a 'customization preview' feature that lets you add whatever parts you want then preview the cost of whatever parts you don't have, then allow you to purchase those missing parts. This would make it easier to figure out which parts connect with what, since you don't have to buy the part to place it on a preview layout.

2qjgar5.jpg

Paraclete said:
At what Ch does that smg become available?

You get it in a dungeon in chapter 14. There's also the MP.05C for 300,000 in stores from Ch 12 onward.

The earliest you can get a 2nd MG is Chapter 5 I think. The PDW-XM.V2 in the Dakota Mine.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts thus far

Plopped about 6 hours into the game so far. While I like the battles, I believe there's so potential for so much more here. The core is great, but I'd make it more like Grandia, and have ALL your attacks like the hero actions because standing there and shooting really is a waste of time...I dunno why they even bother putting it on there.

The map 'unlocking' part is really fucking stupid and a huge waste of time. I would've preferred a more traditional approach.

Music is alright...gets repetitive though.

Why so few gun types? Again, huge potential for more guns AND actual gun skills.

Story is pretty dull.

I would've preferred this
- more traditional approach to the world map
- real time combat that is based more on those hero actions so the pace if quicker (I really miss Grandia...)
- more weapon types
- weapon skills, or at least let me choose the cool ass acrobatics I can use when I attack
- more cool ass acrobatics...still looks awesome, but does get repetitive...would it have killed them to put in more variety?
- clearer tutorial for n00bs...I did all of them, and I'm still hazy on the bonus points :p

Is it better than FF13? Well...I will say I look forward to playing this more than FF13 right now and so far I've played it more in one sitting than FF. I gave FF a thumbs down, but I'd have to give Resonance the thumbs up thus far despite my gripes.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
My thoughts thus far

Plopped about 6 hours into the game so far. While I like the battles, I believe there's so potential for so much more here. The core is great, but I'd make it more like Grandia, and have ALL your attacks like the hero actions because standing there and shooting really is a waste of time...I dunno why they even bother putting it on there.

The map 'unlocking' part is really fucking stupid and a huge waste of time. I would've preferred a more traditional approach.

Music is alright...gets repetitive though.

Why so few gun types? Again, huge potential for more guns AND actual gun skills.

Story is pretty dull.

I would've preferred this
- more traditional approach to the world map
- real time combat that is based more on those hero actions so the pace if quicker (I really miss Grandia...)
- more weapon types
- weapon skills, or at least let me choose the cool ass acrobatics I can use when I attack
- more cool ass acrobatics...still looks awesome, but does get repetitive...would it have killed them to put in more variety?
- clearer tutorial for n00bs...I did all of them, and I'm still hazy on the bonus points :p

Is it better than FF13? Well...I will say I look forward to playing this more than FF13 right now and so far I've played it more in one sitting than FF. I gave FF a thumbs down, but I'd have to give Resonance the thumbs up thus far despite my gripes.

Standing and shooting is essential later on, everytime you do a Hero action, you lose a Hero bar, ones you are out of them, then you will get to critical mode (you will most likely lose there). Standing and shooting is incredebly useful when you don't want to use Hero action or you are behind cover. Sometimes when an enemy is focus on attacking 1 character and you only have 1 hero bar, you can use the other 2 characters and just shoot the enemy so you can break a part of his armor and/or defeat him, hence, giving you 1 or 2 hero bars.

In other words, ITS USEFUL.

I'm grateful the map is like this, it's faster to navigate and the random encounters are lesser than other JRPGs. The Hex unlocking mechanics helps to keep you off limits from certain areas that the game doesn't want you to visit yet. So I'm fine with it.

About guns, I kinda wish there was rifles or bazookas, but then you won't be able to do hero actions with them. Talking about hero actions, the higher level you get your gun you will get more chances to CHARGE a shot, the more you charge you will activate SKILLS, which will make the acrobatics looks different and way more awesome.

Kuro Madoushi said:
My thoughts thus far

You don't understand the combat system yet you're criticizing it. If you play the game more you'll find what you're saying is unfounded.

As for 'more guns', what game wouldn't be better with more more more? The game plays fine with the direct and scratch damage types. Maybe if there's ever a sequel you'll get what you want.

demonkaze

About to pre-order the game now online (PAL-land) and was wondering where's the best place to order from that will deliver the game before or on release day? The last two big games I ordered from GAME and they let me down twice despite paying for express delivery.

Also, if anyone knows where I can order the guide from here in the U.K, it would be greatly appreciated.

Defuser

Got my ass kick on chapter 2 boss.
Fuck,the machines in the dungeon is fucking hard,barely beat those fuckers.
Bad flaw about this game is that you're not able to customize/equip and save in dungeons thus I have no choice but to lose my progress because I gotta go.

Kishgal

Banned
Defuser said:
Got my ass kick on chapter 2 boss.
Fuck,the machines in the dungeon is fucking hard,barely beat those fuckers.
Bad flaw about this game is that you're not able to customize/equip and save in dungeons thus I have no choice but to lose my progress because I gotta go.
Hmm? Once you beat a room in a dungeon, you get the "suspend" option on the pause menu (while still in that room). Works just like quick save in other games.

mAcOdIn

I've played about 13 hours, I would have made a decent impression post, but frankly I'm just starting to understand some things, like I literally, just now figured out how to get the terminals to work on the world map,, so I don't think I'm in a good spot to really give a good impression.

But I do like the main 3, they have a kinda crazy dynamic going on, reminds of me of something like Angel, fucking Zephyr is so Connor, but it works for the game. At chapter 5 the story is still barebones to say the least. The battle mechanics are interesting but also annoying in the sense that the experience is based on damage done by that type weapon for that character which needlessly prolongs battles as you try and cycle people through attacks to get experience.

Also, I have a launch 60GB NTSC PS3 and the game runs fine, I got it to freeze once in a battle I lost when I threw a grenade and got hit by some big fire thing from an enemy and it killed me, that's the only freeze in around 13 hours.

It's not a bad game so far, but I actually think Final Fantasy 13 is better despite all the hate it gets, even though I've yet to beat that one either.
I'm at Eden now.

hmm game just glitch-froze on me mid-battle when I switched from gun to hand weapon.. when my character disappeared they never reappeared and although I could press the left analog stick to change the map view, and the screen kept animating, the game just wouldn't do anything else..

buggy code in there somewhere

Paraclete

Banned
Kishgal said:
Hmm? Once you beat a room in a dungeon, you get the "suspend" option on the pause menu (while still in that room). Works just like quick save in other games.
No shit? FML, I really need to look at the menu some more:lol

I still haven't figured out the terminals yet(haven't tried tbh), but the sidequest I'm on right now requires that I do such, so I guess I need to put some time into that.
Some quick impressions though:

You may find yourself just like me(quick to freak out about the difficulty of the bosses), but most of them are VERY easy to kill once you get your mg user behind the boss to deal direct scratch damage.

The reviews that said grinding are a must are not true. For the most part, if you fight 90% of the encounters you have, you will be adequate level for the chapter you are in. Just make sure you are spending some time switching up weapons(usually the arena is best for this).

I just now got to the point where I can duel-wield handguns with Vash. Lets just say that the game REALLY picks up speed once you can do that with a character. If I can scratch damage an enemy to half, Vash can 99% of the time kill the enemy with a hero action.

The combat system can take some time to get used to, but if you think about positioning, and the way the enemy is targeting you(facing which player), then it's really not that hard at all(just time consuming).

As others have pointed out, the core lifts could be improved(just go direct to the next area, unless a sidequest is located in the core lift). The same goes for some of the mansions in Chandelier(it's nice and all to see their outside, but we don't need to spend 30 seconds running back and forth).

The characters are pretty likable IMO, more so than most JRPGs. For once, the female(Leanne) is not HIGHLY annoying, I can actually stand to play as her and find her pretty interesting. Zepher is my least favorite(he's too emo for me). All in all, they have a good dynamic, lots of funny conversations amongst them, and being able to change up their clothes is actually pretty fun.
The story(not much up to Ch 6) is pretty sparse, but what has been shown so far looks like it will lead up to something interesting at least. Cutscenes are pretty minimal, usually only one or two per chapter(which is good IMO).

As for the guns, I'm loving a departure from the standard JRPG method. It's fun to upgrade them, and for the most part they work very well with the battle system.

I would have liked to have seen the creation system be slightly different, more like SO4(where you put party members in groups to come up with different inventions). For some reason I really liked that system(it seemed VERY lifelike), and I could see it working well with this game(making new addons/guns/even clothes/armor.)

I'll rephrase some stuff as I figure out the terminals and nuances to the battle system, but so far I'd have to give the game an ~8.5/10

methos75

Banned
Picked up last night on the cheap, I think my Gamestop made a mistake cause they only charged me $44 for it, oh well. So far so good, really like the Battle System way more than FF13's, though I still give it the nod so far as the better of the two.

Paraclete

Banned
Ughh wtf, they seriously need to change the dumb battle mode where you can exit hexes. I keep getting shot out of the hex by this f'n tank. Then I don't have full health or my hero bars....

So f'n annoying.

zlatko

Banned
To anyone curious about how terminals work it's like this if I'm not mistaken:

You uncover a terminal. It does "x effect". To get it activated to do that effect you build a path from it to wherever you want with colored hex pieces. Now if you want that effect to work in a dungeon on that floor you build a path of color hex's to it. If you fight a random encounter on a colored hex spot that is linked to a terminal(or more than 1 terminal with the same color hexes) than those effects take place for you in the fight.

If you end up having all gray on that map what you need to do is lay down an energy station piece.(The ones that make a rest/save point). Use one of the color you plan to make the path/floor you are on. So if you lay down a red spot you can then put up red from there to anywhere including terminals so effects take place.

The way I have been doing it is changing every floor I can to red pieces.(They seem to be the ones I get the most abundance of) I don't make an entire floor red, but the bonus to that is you will be able to use the save stations to take you right back to Ebel City to your Sweet Home HQ. So if later in the game you are REALLY far from where the home town is, then just make the whole floor covered in a color and you can warp back to town fast. Instead I just make a path of red pieces to dungeons and to elevators so that every floor can SHARE all terminal bonuses they link to. That's where it can get time consuming, because you could essentially make every floor you visit the same color so you get the bonuses from every floor work everywhere.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost 100% certain that's how it works. Just remember if the floor you are on you uncovered with all gray pieces you will need to make a colored energy station of your choice in order to make the floor that color otherwise you can't lay down color pieces.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone explain exactly how the aerial attacks work? The ones where you hit them in the air and the bar is suppose to appear or something. I see the yellow bar sometimes but that's it.

Paraclete

Banned
Wtf is up with my game? I can't heal my characters at all.... I've tried saving/reloading, nothing works. They are stuck at like half health permanently and only lose 1/2 a hero thing when they die...

I'm gonna be SOOOOOOOOOOOO pissed if my save is ****ed up.
:lol now it's back to normal except for Vash. Dunno wtf is going on.

Khezu

Quick question. I just got to the part where I am stuck with only two characters, will I get my 3rd back before the chapter ends? Or I'm I stuck doing the side missions with just two people?

Paraclete

Banned
Khezu said:
Quick question. I just got to the part where I am stuck with only two characters, will I get my 3rd back before the chapter ends? Or I'm I stuck doing the side missions with just two people?
You're stuck(its happened twice already up to Ch 7)

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Paraclete said:
Wtf is up with my game? I can't heal my characters at all.... I've tried saving/reloading, nothing works. They are stuck at like half health permanently and only lose 1/2 a hero thing when they die...

I'm gonna be SOOOOOOOOOOOO pissed if my save is ****ed up.
:lol now it's back to normal except for Vash. Dunno wtf is going on.

You need to REST in your base, abandoned energy plants or hotels to regain your HP. You can regain Scratch Damage back by moving or using items.

But ones you lose HP, the only way tot get it is by RESTING, not saving, this is no FF. :lol

Gyoru

Khezu said:
It happens a few times in the coming chapters. You're not stuck doing the side missions with an incomplete party. Just rush and finish the main storyline mission then you'll get your full party back. Once you have your full party, you can carry on doing any side missions for that chapter.

Gyoru said:
It happens a few times in the coming chapters. You're not stuck doing the side missions with an incomplete party. Just rush and finish the main storyline mission then you'll get your full party back. Once you have your full party, you can carry on doing any side missions for that chapter.
Don't do the
Dubios Cargo from Cranktown
Mission! god what a pain with 2 people.

Paraclete

Banned
DMPrince said:
Don't do the
Dubios Cargo from Cranktown
Mission! god what a pain with 2 people.
:lol yea that was a pain, lucky I had a ton of grenades and it went pretty easily.

Thanks for explaining the save/rest thing. I was under the impression you gained all that back after completing a dungeon. Its workin now :D

Dresden

Not a single store in my city has the game. Wow. They're either sold out or never had it in the first place.

Amazon time.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
How's the story in this? Not bad? Doesn't bring down the quality of the game? I canceled my pre-order. I plan on re-ordering soon.

The story is getting interesting now in Ch5, the first chapters are just for you to see how the characters personality are. And just have some laughs, which is awesome! :lol

Gyoru said:
I love this game to death so I made this
RoF_in_a_nutshell.gif

BTW, AWESOME GIF!! :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just got it and put about 2 hours in. This game is absolutely fantastic. One of the best combat systems I've ever seen.

A few questions though:

Is there a way to switch targets other than rotating the camera? I'm having a really hard time picking the target I want.

Can you switch targets while performing a hero action?

If you leave loot lying on the battlefield, is it automatically collected when you finish a battle?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Just got it and put about 2 hours in. This game is absolutely fantastic. One of the best combat systems I've ever seen.

A few questions though:

Is there a way to switch targets other than rotating the camera? I'm having a really hard time picking the target I want.

Can you switch targets while performing a hero action?

If you leave loot lying on the battlefield, is it automatically collected when you finish a battle?

D-pad to change target and it works in every action you do, even Tri-attack or while jumping.

Yeah, all the stuff that the enemies drop will be collected in the end.

Paraclete

Banned
nismor2 said:
Can you set difficulty at the beginning of the game? Also can you grind and become really powerful?
You have to beat the game to unlock other difficulties(9 of them I think). And yes, you can grind as much as you want(switch up weapons to really level fast).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ANYONE HAVING FREEZING ISSUES WITH THIS GAME OR STAR OCEAN 4 ON PS3
I guess there is a fix for it... you have to basically back up all your data and format your HDD, or replace your HDD. Going to try it tomorrow.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man, its hilarious how just using a different type of ammo can change the tide of a battle

I kept dying at the Chapter 6 boss (god damn freeze ray!), then I had the bright idea (lol) to put armor piercing rounds on Vash's SMG. The battle was over in a few minutes :lol

I want to play this but have neither the time or the money right now. What the fuck was Sega thinking throwing so many rpgs in march? On the active time babble podcast, they mentioned they heard scuttlebutt of major sega financial news an that they where throwing all their games before their fiscal period ends on the 30th to boost their bottom line, but i cant help but feel they are killing Yakuza, infinte space, and RoF's chance at mild success and that really bumms me out because i love rpgs and want them to keep making them.

Anyway, sorry for ranting a bit, the impressions in this thread got me excited but frustrated.

Paraclete

Banned
Dead said:
Man, its hilarious how just using a different type of ammo can change the tide of a battle

I kept dying at the Chapter 6 boss (god damn freeze ray!), then I had the bright idea (lol) to put armor piercing rounds on Vash's SMG. The battle was over in a few minutes :lol
:lol yea it's surprising how the smallest change can make the boss battles go from throwing controllers to over in 45 seconds.

Dresden

Paraclete said:
You have to beat the game to unlock other difficulties(9 of them I think). And yes, you can grind as much as you want(switch up weapons to really level fast).
So the game already starts on the easiest difficulty? And its still pretty challenging?

Damn.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think I read in this thread that there is a 2nd SMG that you can find in chapter 5+

Am I remembering wrong? If not, where exactly is it?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Dead said:

I know! I died 1 time because I didn't know I was going to fight a boss. Then I said, "now I know the guy has armor, let me bring my toys! :D "

teekun

Kagari said:
ANYONE HAVING FREEZING ISSUES WITH THIS GAME OR STAR OCEAN 4 ON PS3
I guess there is a fix for it... you have to basically back up all your data and format your HDD, or replace your HDD. Going to try it tomorrow.

Jesus. If I was having those problems, I don't know if I'd bother. That is a huge pain in the ass to get just one game working.

jiien

So, if the item description says that I can sell a particular item for rubies (such as Meat or Silver Chips), that means I should just go and sell them, right? I just want to make sure that I don't need to save these things for anything else later.

Paraclete

Banned
jiien said:
So, if the item description says that I can sell a particular item for rubies (such as Meat or Silver Chips), that means I should just go and sell them, right? I just want to make sure that I don't need to save these things for anything else later.
Keep your manequin parts, you'll need them later on.

As for the SMG, yes its in the Dakota Mine, furthest room.

Top Bottom