• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Dead said:
Man, its hilarious how just using a different type of ammo can change the tide of a battle

I kept dying at the Chapter 6 boss (god damn freeze ray!), then I had the bright idea (lol) to put armor piercing rounds on Vash's SMG. The battle was over in a few minutes :lol

Don't waste that ammo, you only get like 30 rounds the entire game.

kiryogi

Banned
Kagari said:
ANYONE HAVING FREEZING ISSUES WITH THIS GAME OR STAR OCEAN 4 ON PS3
I guess there is a fix for it... you have to basically back up all your data and format your HDD, or replace your HDD. Going to try it tomorrow.

I will say that I've never had any issues with SO4. :D

Paraclete said:
I thought you could buy that stuff in the lower town?

You can't buy or craft Armor-Piercing Rounds afaik. You can only find them on the map.

I just completed the game. I'll be writing a full review soon.

Paraclete

Banned
mjemirzian said:
You can't buy or craft Armor-Piercing Rounds afaik. You can only find them on the map.

NVM you're right. I was thinking of the metal tipped ones

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
mjemirzian said:

really? *checks* phew... I only wasted 5 rounds... that is good, I still have 25.

EDIT: Does someone know wtf is that "COIN" sound you get when you talk to certain people? I have notice that a lot in the level where Cracktown is.

I have also notice they complement you by saying "You are a pro" or something like that, what is the deal with this?

mAcOdIn

-DarKaoZ- said:
really? *checks* phew... I only wasted 5 rounds... that is good, I still have 25.

EDIT: Does someone know wtf is that "COIN" sound you get when you talk to certain people? I have notice that a lot in the level where Cracktown is.

I have also notice they complement you by saying "You are a pro" or something like that, what is the deal with this?
Are you thinking of the sound that plays when you go to talk to someone related to a mission?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is this game not-grind-happy gamer friendly ? For comparison's sake I just finished FFXIII and found it (the regular story battles and not the super high marks) a comfortable experience as far as difficulty goes

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
mAcOdIn said:
Are you thinking of the sound that plays when you go to talk to someone related to a mission?

Nah, they don't give me tips at all. Ex: I talked to the red looking cowboy/girl when you go down the Core Lift, then a sound of a COIN pop up and he/she said "You are a pro". Same thing happen to me while I was inside the Guild in Cracktown and other 2 locations I don't remember. They compliment me and sometimes I think they do that to trick me and steal my money due to the sound of a coin. :lol

j_hiro

chandoog said:
Is this game not-grind-happy gamer friendly ? For comparison's sake I just finished FFXIII and found it (the regular story battles and not the super high marks) a comfortable experience as far as difficulty goes

There isn't really a need to grind at all if your always rotating your weapons and using them to level up in a balanced manner. It's mostly about timing and positioning your characters. I do have a habit of needing to finish as much of a level as I can so personally I did it to get more clear hexes to clear out all those levels, even ones that I didn't really need to clear yet for any particular reason.

chandoog said:

the game is grind-friendly.. but still optional at least on normal difficulty. You may have to do some grinding on the Zenith difficulty where enemies have 5x HP and 5x attack.

One thing I noticed on the new game+

after you complete the game and choose a new game on a new difficulty, you get to keep the two black Neverland hexes (the post-game dungeon).

Just finished my review.. spoiler free.

http://tbtactics.blogspot.com/2010/03/resonance-of-fate-review-good-combat.html

batbeg

I'm loving this - I just sunk 12 hours into it yesterday, without really meaning to. Definitely understanding most of the mechanics thus far at last.

Too tired for words.

Game is awesome.

tri-Ace <3

jiien

So I've seen people say that rookie grenades are the best way to level up grenades early on, because they're cheap. Where can I find these? I'm on Chapter 2, and plan to use Papa Gremlin to grind up some weapons, but I've run out of grenades and don't see where I can buy these Rookie ones. Do I not have access to them yet?

Paraclete

Banned
jiien said:
So I've seen people say that rookie grenades are the best way to level up grenades early on, because they're cheap. Where can I find these? I'm on Chapter 2, and plan to use Papa Gremlin to grind up some weapons, but I've run out of grenades and don't see where I can buy these Rookie ones. Do I not have access to them yet?
You might not have them available yet(but I think you should). Go to the middle merchant in your home city and he should have them.

jiien

Paraclete said:
You might not have them available yet(but I think you should). Go to the middle merchant in your home city and he should have them.

In the room with the Tinkerer and Scrapper, right? Hm, just looked and I don't see them. Strange. :( I really wanted to power level the grenades.

Paraclete

Banned
jiien said:
In the room with the Tinkerer and Scrapper, right? Hm, just looked and I don't see them. Strange. :( I really wanted to power level the grenades.
Yep that's the place. I thought you had them available from the start(cus you have the rookie sight/grip), if not its within the next chapter or so.

jiien

Paraclete said:
Yep that's the place. I thought you had them available from the start(cus you have the rookie sight/grip), if not its within the next chapter or so.

Okay, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a shop somewhere or something.

Just started this up after clearing Yakuza 3. First real JRPG I've purchased this generation.

-How do I get all three party members involved in a tri-attack? I only get two of them shooting.

-Couldn't figure out how to do bonus damage. I get into the air and start raining hell from above but it won't register.

-I appreciate how they just throw you right into the game without hours of introduction. I got into a random battle on my way to the arena for the first time and literally did not know what the hell to do, so I just died and started a new game and was at the same point in 2 minutes, lulz.

-Love the visual style and the day/night cycle.

jiien

Red Blaster said:
Just started this up after clearing Yakuza 3. First real JRPG I've purchased this generation.

-How do I get all three party members involved in a tri-attack? I only get two of them shooting.

-I appreciate how they just throw you right into the game without hours of introduction. I got into a random battle on my way to the arena and literally did not know what the hell to do, so I just died and started a new game.

All three get involved in the enemy is inside the triangle that your three characters make. If the enemy is outside of it, only the closer two do something.

Red Blaster said:

-Couldn't figure out how to do bonus damage. I get into the air and start raining hell from above but it won't register.

-I appreciate how they just throw you right into the game without hours of introduction. I got into a random battle on my way to the arena for the first time and literally did not know what the hell to do, so I just died and started a new game and was at the same point in 2 minutes, lulz.

Bonus Shot happens randomly. but when it does you just have to stop the arrow within the yellow range. when that happens the attack gauge will spin real fast. you can let it build up but try to shoot before the enemy hits the ground So you can have some extra attack effects.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
You only get 30 AP rounds? God damn. I put them in the "magazine" to shoot a few at a boss, but couldn't figure out how to make the character stop using them. Now they're all gone. How do you remove special rounds once you arm them in combat?

Also, I'm up to Chapter 3 and I still haven't found any more guns other than my initial 2 pistols 1 smg. Am I doing something wrong?

Paraclete

Banned
Red Blaster said:

Are you talking about the smackdown attack? If so, you need to do a hero action (run at them shooting) to launch them up, then jump over them and fire down at them.
FlyinJ said:
You only get 30 AP rounds? God damn. I put them in the "magazine" to shoot a few at a boss, but couldn't figure out how to make the character stop using them. Now they're all gone. How do you remove special rounds once you arm them in combat?

Also, I'm up to Chapter 3 and I still haven't found any more guns other than my initial 2 pistols 1 smg. Am I doing something wrong?
If you're playing on 360, push the back button and hit none. Should be similar for PS3

No, there aren't that many guns in the game(ie: you won't get them randomly from drops, only dungeons or shops). You can get one from the main base shop(middle merchant) it costs 100000 rupees. At ch 5 you can get an SMG in the dakota mine, and shortly after that you can purchase another pistol in one of the lower towns.
I think in total there are around 16 guns(3 that you start with, 3 that you can get in the arena I think, and the rest are either in dungeons or shops)

Ferrio

Banned
jiien said:
All three get involved in the enemy is inside the triangle that your three characters make. If the enemy is outside of it, only the closer two do something.

Uh what do you mean? i'm able to switch through all 3 during tri attacks regardless of enemy placement.

Paraclete

Banned
Ferrio said:
Uh what do you mean? i'm able to switch through all 3 during tri attacks regardless of enemy placement.
Right, but the enemy has to be located WITHIN the triangle formed by your 3 players before you can start the tri-attack.

Ferrio

Banned
Paraclete said:
Right, but the enemy has to be located WITHIN the triangle formed by your 3 players before you can start the tri-attack.

No it doesn't. That or the game is letting me cheat.

Also when do some different outfits become available? Pretty much now all I get is pallete swaps.

Pangya

Ferrio said:

Also when do some different outfits become available? Pretty much now all I get is pallete swaps.

Yeah, there are times when the enemy is a little off to one side outside the triangle and tri attack still works fine.

Paraclete

Banned
Ferrio said:

The game isn't exactly the best coded JRPG:lol

as for clothing, by Ch 6 you'll have a lot of options.

Paraclete

Banned
Meh, getting a little bored of only having 2 characters for the majority of chapters now...Seems like they are just trying to up the difficulty without actually making the enemies trickier to kill.

Ferrio

Banned
Paraclete said:
Meh, getting a little bored of only having 2 characters for the majority of chapters now...Seems like they are just trying to up the difficulty without actually making the enemies trickier to kill.

Wait... you playing final fantasy? I'm confused, really they take away one of the members in this game? BAH

Ferrio said:
Wait... you playing final fantasy? I'm confused, really they take away one of the members in this game? BAH

yeah uh what? Just grabbed this at lunch (360) and now am contemplating taking it back if that's the case. :lol

Paraclete

Banned
Ferrio said:
I'm on Ch 8 and so far they've done it 2 times now. Supposedly it happens at least one or two more times after this. :(

Paraclete said:
I'm on Ch 8 and so far they've done it 2 times now. Supposedly it happens at least one or two more times after this. :(
is this story mission or are you trying to do side? save it for new game+!

Paraclete

Banned
DMPrince said:
is this story mission or are you trying to do side? save it for new game+!
Both, but if I do the main part first I'll get Leanne back, then I could do the side quests with all members.
It's more annoying than anything else(because I actually somewhat enjoy doing the sidequests first:lol )

Was pulling my hair out trying to beat the Tesla Tortoise until I remembered the all-powerful tri-attack, sank that bitch in one turn.

Paraclete

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Was pulling my hair out trying to beat the Tesla Tortoise until I remembered the all-powerful tri-attack, sank that bitch in one turn.
Yea that one was pretty tough at first for me too.

But now I'm stuck on Ch 8 trying to clear out this dungeon with only 2 people....bout ready to pull my hair out.

Dead

well not really...yet
Can someone help me with the Taterpopolis (??) side quest you get from Pater? (chapter 7)

It says to activate a terminal effect on it...I linked one terminal to the location with a bunch of red hexes, but that does nothing.

What am I doing wrong here? I confess Im still not quite clear on the whole Terminal stuff in the game.

Paraclete

Banned
Dead said:
Can someone help me with the Taterpopolis (??) side quest you get from Pater? (chapter 7)

It says to activate a terminal effect on it...I linked one terminal to the location with a bunch of red hexes, but that does nothing.

What am I doing wrong here? I confess Im still not quite clear on the whole Terminal stuff in the game.
The number under the terminal(0/30 or whatever) means you need to attach that many whatever colored squares to it. No matter if you link it to the object, you still need to have that many colored squares attached to the terminal.

Dead

well not really...yet
Paraclete said:
The number under the terminal(0/30 or whatever) means you need to attach that many whatever colored squares to it. No matter if you link it to the object, you still need to have that many colored squares attached to the terminal.
Ive already gone over that number

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Paraclete said:

The only rule to pull out a Tri-Attack is that you have at least 1 Resonate linked. Resonate = passing the hero attack lines and making them look blue, that is it. The only difference is that if you have 1 Resonate, the characters will only go to the next position. If you have 2, then they will go to the 2nd position and so on.

That is it, you don't have to have any enemies close at all or inside, obviously you want to have the lines close to the enemies so the characters can CHARGE their attacks, and cause a lot of Scratch Damage and Normal Damage.

Ferrio

Banned
-DarKaoZ- said:
The only rule to pull out a Tri-Attack is that you have at least 1 Resonate linked. Resonate = passing the hero attack lines and making them look blue, that is it. The only difference is that if you have 1 Resonate, the characters will only go to the next position. If you have 2, then they will go to the 2nd position and so on.

That is it, you don't have to have any enemies close at all or inside, obviously you want to have the lines close to the enemies so the characters can CHARGE their attacks, and cause a lot of Scratch Damage and Normal Damage.

That's what I thought as well, done it plenty of times without anyone inside. Thought I might of been misremembering things.

Just ordered my copy, should hopefully have it by Thursday (release date here in Australia).

To be honest I really didn't know anything about this game until about a week ago. Hype has risen quickly since, game looks right up my alley.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Ferrio said:
That's what I thought as well, done it plenty of times without anyone inside. Thought I might of been misremembering things.

Nah, that is how it works, they even tell you that in the in-game manual.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Red Blaster said:

Sega, send this man a check. He just sold me on RoF.

hmm.. I beat ign and gamespot to the punch.. put my review on their site before they did :p

I'm not really sure I want to play through the game again, though.. maybe there's a good way to speed run it

-DarKaoZ- said:

Yeah, I gave people this incorrect impression earlier in the thread, probably due to the fact that if you don't have them inside you're often going to have a very short short side of the triangle for a character to run along. As soon as they reach their end point (1st/2nd etc depending on resonance points) they're done. If you haven't made them fire already they won't.

Also remember to switch characters using the shoulders when trying to build resonance, the cancel button that allows you to reuse a character also removes resonance.

Top Bottom