• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
duckroll said:
I just beat chapter 2. This game is a lot better than I expected! :eek:

See, we were telling the truth! :D

Anyways, I'm on Ch 8, Vash lv51, Zephyr lv49 and Leanne lv47. I have like 38 hrs into the game and I don't get tired of playing this game, heck I had force myself to stop playing this, because thanks to RoF I haven't done any college work.

DAMN YOU RoF FOR BEEN SO GOOD!!!

Llyranor said:
Did you finish the game? Does the combat remain good/fresh throughout? (wait, I think I may have asked you this before - I forget where)

Impressions seem to be good. I'll probably pick this up once I'm done with XIII/SJ/IS (too many RPGs in such a short span! what a terrible horrible situation to be in!)

Yeah I kept meaning to reply. How far did you get in the Japanese version? Paraclete's response is pretty much how I felt by the end. Bosses remain fun to fight throughout and there are challenging regular enemies to fight too. Maybe fighting some of the random battles gets a bit old, but not so much as to put me off trying again on the next difficulty.

Paraclete said:
By the time you finish the game you'll probably be getting a little tired of the fight animations(at least I was). The battles themselves(at least boss battles) are still fresh because they require different techniques each time, but the regular "random" battles do get old IMO.

I agree and I said as much in my review. I'm actually thinking that efficient grinding and exploiting is faster than side quests for keeping your levels adequate enough for the main story. For example popping up 5 levels on Papa Gremlin is probably faster than doing every Chapter 1-3 sidequest.

I'm playing again on hard mode, trying to get through the game faster this time. My first playthrough took 70 hours, I'm hoping I can do this one in 20.

Ricker said:
They shouldn`t make you use those hexes on spots that you already opened,unless i`m still misunderstanding that whole map/hex to move thing properly yet...can`t say i`m crazy about that aspect of the game so far.

not sure what you mean, once you've opened a hex it stays open and you can traverse it freely. you're only going to be wasting parts of a piece when it overlaps with open and closed hexes (and there's no other way to place it) or if you are (ch 2 spoiler?)
using the coloured pieces to connect stations
which i think is fair.

zurra said:
she dropped some red hexes to activate the elevator to get to the next level, and also spoke with theresa to get the red hexes from her. problem is, she needs one more red hex to complete the path to lucia.

does anyone know where to get these in chapter 1? she's been grinding around the red hex path to lucia for a while with no luck.

i got some on a plain hex next to lucia, the
fat whatevers
drop them i believe. if she's winning fights by leader assault they may not drop, i had better luck when i took everybody out individually.

Ricker

Ummm,I don`t know about this one,just when I thought I understood this game,they throw new stuff in,without really explaining it...now I have to go through 5 or 6 rooms in a row,that are connected together and win every battle in there? plus the wall thing is confusing...I had a grenade left but he wouldn`t throw it?...,my health is full but out of nowhere they go into that awful critical mode?...,which by the way is the most ridiculous animation I have seen in quite sometime,I just cringe everytime I see that.The graphics and style i`m not crazy about either,the interface is straight out of the PS1 era,some cut scenes are downright ugly...music is awesome and I love the battles,most of the time but man is it confusing at times.The whole hex placement on the overworld map is also kinda annoying...

I`ll keep at it but after about 6 hours now,i`m having a hard time getting into this one.

Ferrio

Banned
Ricker said:
.,my health is full but out of nowhere they go into that awful critical mode?..

When the hero action stocks deplete (you lose them through getting 100% scratch damage or doing a heroic action) you go into critical mode. Also make sure you have at least one to spare when you do a heroic action.

mjemirzian said:
I agree and I said as much in my review. I'm actually thinking that efficient grinding and exploiting is faster than side quests for keeping your levels adequate enough for the main story. For example popping up 5 levels on Papa Gremlin is probably faster than doing every Chapter 1-3 sidequest.

I'm playing again on hard mode, trying to get through the game faster this time. My first playthrough took 70 hours, I'm hoping I can do this one in 20.
you kept your weapons or started fresh? :lol.

Llyranor

chicken_ramen said:
Yeah I kept meaning to reply. How far did you get in the Japanese version? Paraclete's response is pretty much how I felt by the end. Bosses remain fun to fight throughout and there are challenging regular enemies to fight too. Maybe fighting some of the random battles gets a bit old, but not so much as to put me off trying again on the next difficulty.
I only played the demo. Thanks, though.

Is it easy to avoid normal encounters? I'm not sure how the hexgrid thingie works, but I'll avoid having to fight needless battles if I can (if the game provides a fair challenge in such a case, rather than simply becoming impossible).

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Llyranor said:

Is it easy to avoid normal encounters? I'm not sure how the hexgrid thingie works, but I'll avoid having to fight needless battles if I can (if the game provides a fair challenge in such a case, rather than simply becoming impossible).

The bosses can't be avoided, there is a boss every chapter and you must defeat them to proceed in the story. Besides that the other challenging battles are in a RED HEX, you will notice them and you can avoid them. Yet there are some battles that are hard and are part of the sidequests, but that is later in the game, most of the sidequest missions and battles are easy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I've decided to stop FFXIII for awhile (near the final boss) then decided to switch to this game forawhile.

Now I can't seem to stop playing. D:

Damn, tri-Ace sure proved themselves that they can make good games still.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
ULTROS! said:
So I've decided to stop FFXIII for awhile (near the final boss) then decided to switch to this game forawhile.

Now I can't seem to stop playing. D:

Damn, tri-Ace sure proved themselves that they can make good games still.

Tell me about it, I forced myself to stop playing this game. And that is not good!!!!!!

Llyranor said:

so far for me (halfway through chapter 2) the random encounter rate has not been particularly high. it's certainly not step-step-battle, step-step-battle.

zlatko

Banned
I'm on Chapter 5 and I can't for the life of me get the dolls at the forest of idols to drop a pair of legs for one of the side missions. I have like 35+ torsos heads and arms, but I only have 4 legs. Is there a certain way to make them drop legs? The quest wants 5 of each, but I've been all over the forest for like 2 hours and no luck.

Dead

well not really...yet
zlatko said:
I'm on Chapter 5 and I can't for the life of me get the dolls at the forest of idols to drop a pair of legs for one of the side missions. I have like 35+ torsos heads and arms, but I only have 4 legs. Is there a certain way to make them drop legs? The quest wants 5 of each, but I've been all over the forest for like 2 hours and no luck.
seems random?

I had more than 5 of each part before I ever even got that side mission.

zlatko said:

Did you try asking nicely?

They only drop off blood dolls.. try shooting off their armor.. sometimes destroying armor yields parts.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
zlatko said:

I had the same problems but with HEADS. I recommend you to do it in the hex part of the place, just walk around and kill the leader, makes it easier and faster.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah that's where I've been is the Hex place killing the leader. I'll make sure to start mixing it up a bit more, but the drop rate is really crap and being only 1 away is killing me. :(

zlatko

Banned
DMPrince said:
have you tried the garden?

The second you enter the forest of idols I've tried every area. I've tried farming the area that connects all the different forests. I've tried Bronze and plaster as well. I'm just having 0 luck. Anyone know the exact location of who commonly drops them? I'm going now to find these blood ones I must have overlooked that someone just mentioned up above. I think they are in the Bronze Forest within the Forest of idols.

when i did that doll mission. it took me like under 10 minutes to farm the parts :lol. guess i got lucky.

EDIT: got my places mixed up. it was plaster forest. that's the place i farmed. i just went back and forth to get the parts.

zlatko

Banned
DMPrince said:
when i did that doll mission. it took me like under 10 minutes to farm the parts :lol. guess i got lucky.

EDIT: got my places mixed up. it was plaster forest. that's the place i farmed. i just went back and forth to get the parts.

Yeah the two rooms. I tried farming there for a while, but I don't see legs drop ever. I'm going insane lol. Anyone know the exact mob that drops the legs? I'm trying to farm Mr Bazooka and Mr Torchy to see if they have it, but no luck so far.

zlatko said:
Yeah the two rooms. I tried farming there for a while, but I don't see legs drop ever. I'm going insane lol. Anyone know the exact mob that drops the legs? I'm trying to farm Mr Bazooka and Mr Torchy to see if they have it, but no luck so far.
have you been doing a lot of smackdown? IDK if hitting different spots of the body help. I know i aimed or try to hit different areas and did some smackdown so it can drop more stuff.

zlatko

Banned
DMPrince said:
have you been doing a lot of smackdown? IDK if hitting different spots of the body help. I know i aimed or try to hit different areas and did some smackdown so it can drop more stuff.

Yes I have. I just unlocked the 100 smackdowns trophy just a few minutes ago. :lol

The game has got to be bugged or something. I'm reaching the 2 hour mark with tons of variety on the mobs here, how I off them, etc. I know I have all the outside terminals linked into the dungeon too to help(not sure if one was drop rate), but I'm starting to go from emo about my luck to getting pissed off the game won't fork over 1 pair of effing legs.

Edit: M Heads-16. M Arms. - 65. M Torso- 52. M Legs - 4. The Head and legs are def. the rare pieces to score off these enemies so I assume they are off a specific enemy somewhere out of the bunch.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Now that we are talking about this mission, there is no more use for the mannequins parts right? Because I don't want to remember them anymore and I want to sell them for RUBIES! :D

zlatko

Banned
-DarKaoZ- said:
Now that we are talking about this mission, there is no more use for the mannequins parts right? Because I don't want to remember them anymore and I want to sell them for RUBIES! :D

Yeah I plan to make some fat loot with these extras. I'm going to try reseting my PS3 at this point to see if it throws me some luck and knocks the game back to its senses. I'm getting closer to three hours of farming for 1 item than I'd rather be...feel like I'm playing a MMORPG at this point for 1 item for 1 quest with a very stupid drop rate. :/

zlatko

Banned
FINALLY! I feel so dumb it took this long when I figured out what to kill and where it was. I checked everywhere but the spot on the far right, because earlier in the game you can't go further into that area so I dismissed checking that area entirely.

First room had the Blood guys who dropped the legs. Only 3 hours of my life I'll never get back. :/

I got lucky and didn't have to spend too long to get the Mannequin Heads. When I accepted the mission, I had 2 Heads and 20+ everything else. While I did spend a while trying to get the Heads, it wasn't too long and I just love battling in this game too much to care.

That said, I love discovering new things when I thought I already somewhat knew everything. Just a while ago I decided to just fool around with the Hero Action because I noticed the Resonance count above the characters' gauges for the first time :lol Anyway, I built up some and I did laps around the area I created. I had done this before early in the game but didn't know how to replicate it...glad I know now :lol It's great that you can still play without doing all the fancy stuff.

I personally make battles last a long time and love seeing the plethora of item bunches I get at the end <3 I love doing Bonus Hits with the MG.

satori

O god...I have my copy just sitting here. With so much work at the jerb, and mid terms at school...and trying to finish ff13 and starocean 4, i am afraid to open this just yet. I really need to stop coming to this thread, you guys make me want to tear this apart and take her for a ride so bad....

I think I'm about done with the game. The extra 20% enemy health/damage on Hard mode doesn't make much of a difference, and I can't see myself playing the game 9 more times to unlock the hardest mode. Even if you rush through it you're looking at 30-40 hours per playthrough.. possibly more once you hit the 300% health/damage difficulty and things get really hairy.

Maybe some day someone will upload a PS3 save with all the difficulties unlocked.

duckroll

Is it just me, or is everyone in Basel insane? It's a pretty.... unique way of presenting a world I guess. It's a bit unsettling, but yet humorous and intriguing all at the same time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Lol at Chapter 2:

Watching naughty stuff then getting to climax then blackout.

Vashyron: You got small racks
Leanne: *slap*

What with tri-Ace and
shower peeking. SO4 and this game has it.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
duckroll said:
Is it just me, or is everyone in Basel insane? It's a pretty.... unique way of presenting a world I guess. It's a bit unsettling, but yet humorous and intriguing all at the same time.

Nah, is not just you, but that is what I like about the characters so far. Also I have notice that (dunno if its considerated a spoiler or not)
but there is no hint for a typical villain, at least all the character seem to have a "noble" reason to want to do their research or something.

I find this refreshing, but I'm just in Ch8, so maybe that will change later on.

Varion

Castor Krieg said:
PAL version got inner box art!:lol
Worth the wait! Does the cover picture look better quality? I think some people in the thread said the US version looked really cheaply printed or something.

Mine didn't come :( I'm going to go sulk until tomorrow.

1. How many missions are there in the Prologue? I finished all I had, last one was for the maid.

2. I couldn't advance anywhere because I didn't have colored hexes. Do they drop from regular enemies?

Castor Krieg said:
1. How many missions are there in the Prologue? I finished all I had, last one was for the maid.

2. I couldn't advance anywhere because I didn't have colored hexes. Do they drop from regular enemies?

1. http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1341

2. take core lift 1 to the chandelier and talk to that noblewoman to get the red energy hexes.. just don't waste them on anything that isn't a red area on the map

duckroll

Got to chapter 5. The chapter 4 dungeon was pretty damn tough. I barely won the boss fight, and ended up having too little health to get back through the dungeon normally at the end. Had to use an escape hex. :/

Game r0x.

dramatis

duckroll said:
Got to chapter 5. The chapter 4 dungeon was pretty damn tough. I barely won the boss fight, and ended up having too little health to get back through the dungeon normally at the end. Had to use an escape hex. :/

Game r0x.

tri-Ace redeemed?

Does anyone know a way to escape random battles on the world map? I entered one of those level 48 battles yesterday out of curiosity while I was out leveling my characters in different weapons and I couldn't use an escape hex or get out of the battle area.

This game is crazy. I don't even know if I'm playing it right, I gave Vashyron the scratch gun and he gained two levels in basically two actions so now he's almost double Leanne's level. I think I had him throw some grenades as well to help kill that Tar man bastard in the first dungeon.

duckroll

dramatis said:
tri-Ace redeemed?

Does anyone know a way to escape random battles on the world map? I entered one of those level 48 battles yesterday out of curiosity while I was out leveling my characters in different weapons and I couldn't use an escape hex or get out of the battle area.

You can escape from any random battle, mission battle, or dungeon battle. You cannot escape from the red hex "hard" battles that appear on the world map. At least, I ran into the same problem you did and lost an hour of play time because there was no way I could win or escape. :lol

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
Love this game so far, It soooo hard NOT to grind though. Example I just beat chapter 3 and already sank 20 hrs already. Why because I just had to connect all the station near that model? forest (itemx2 rarex2 fast charge) for 120-180hexes and proceeded in gaining an unhealthy amount of limbs and colored hexes.....and Vash can duel gun...

Now I have to pull my self away from this to force my self thru chp 10 in FFXiii (atleast I have beaten GOW already jeez!!):lol

did I meantion i am trying NOT to grind and it's not needed (stoopid arena, customization,
and fashionista tendacies....mumble mumble fun)

dramatis

duckroll said:
You can escape from any random battle, mission battle, or dungeon battle. You cannot escape from the red hex "hard" battles that appear on the world map. At least, I ran into the same problem you did and lost an hour of play time because there was no way I could win or escape. :lol

Seems like I lost an hour the same way then :lol Every time I lost, though, I started over because I get so close to beating them I think I can do it, hence the wasted hour.

Time to stop buying clothes and save up for another handgun!

dramatis said:
tri-Ace redeemed?

Those are not random battles, those are danger zones. There's no escape from one.

duckroll said:

Yeah that dungeon can be a bit of a downer, but bringing incendiary ammo and molotovs for the walkers and boss helps a lot.

duckroll said:
there was no way I could win or escape. :lol

Which danger zone did you have trouble with? I've completed them all without grinding/using items so I can help.

MaddMastaMike said:
Love this game so far, It soooo hard NOT to grind though. Example I just beat chapter 3 and already sank 20 hrs already. Why because I just had to connect all the station near that model? forest (itemx2 rarex2 fast charge) for 120-180hexes and proceeded in gaining an unhealthy amount of limbs and colored hexes.....and Vash can duel gun...

There's nothing wrong with grinding if you enjoy it. What's wrong is when someone claims grinding is required. Anyway, you might want to save that strat for the higher difficulties if you intend on replaying. What you're doing may be necessary when the enemies have 5x hp and attack (and you thought the game was hard on the default difficulty..)

Top Bottom