• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

duckroll

Beat chapter 6. About 20 hours on the clock now. I need to buy another gun and experiment more with dual-wielding. The are actually quite a good mix of possible things you can do in battles depending on whether you equip 1 gun, 2 guns, a grenade box, magazine case, etc. Pretty cool. I'm really digging the enemy designs too. I noticed while checking the beastiery that the Cargo Chopper isn't even a real helicopter. It's like, a pickup truck frame with a propeller stuck on top of it. :lol

Llyranor said:
Hearing these things about the characters is a bit weird after SO4.

Like how the original VP was totally original in terms of story style and narrative pace from anything tri-Ace had done previously, RoF is in the same way a totally new and original style and pace. Norimoto has shown twice now with VP and RoF that he can craft a really interesting worldview and a totally original sort of story if he really wants to. This just indicates to me that when tri-Ace is pumping out all their other shitty games, Norimoto is just sitting back and slacking as a supervisor. :p

Defuser

Recently started chapter 3 and omg,Norio fucking wakamoto!That and I'm farming the heck out in the forest to make beta scopes and sell them for moolah.

jiien

duckroll said:
Beat chapter 6. About 20 hours on the clock now. I need to buy another gun and experiment more with dual-wielding. The are actually quite a good mix of possible things you can do in battles depending on whether you equip 1 gun, 2 guns, a grenade box, magazine case, etc. Pretty cool. I'm really digging the enemy designs too. I noticed while checking the beastiery that the Cargo Chopper isn't even a real helicopter. It's like, a pickup truck frame with a propeller stuck on top of it. :lol

I just beat it too! I actually already have that one gun from Ebel already. I've messed around with it a little, but I'm far more interested in dual SMGs. My issue with dual-handguns is that handguns by nature aren't meant to do tons of damage. In fact, most of the time, assuming you fully scratched an enemy beforehand, only the first bullet you fire from the handgun even counts. Additionally, when dual-wielding, your new stats are the average of the two guns. And in the beginning, I can only carry enough weight to wield one really decked out handgun, and one mostly bare. Which means I may be putting out more bullets (that's mostly pointless already, being that it's a handgun) but I charge slower (which is a bad thing for handguns, because after scratching several enemies, I want to be able to quickly set off fresh charges, where in base charge is what matters, not % increase).

Annnnyway, there are some instances where having dual handguns would have been useful already. In some cases, I did want to use handguns to output damage (so instead of letting the meter build, I keep shooting as soon as I get one complete charge, and with my guns upgraded as they are, that's a decent source of 100 or 200 direct damage in one hero action) to finish off an enemy. But again, until I can carry enough weight such that I can upgrade that second handgun, I'm only hurting, not helping.

Annnnnywayyyyyyyyy, machine guns are obviously a different story. As it is right now, I have a fast enough charge speed that I can fully charge to the top about 2/3s of the way through a hero action. That last 1/3 largely gets wasted because I won't charge quickly enough to do anything significant to anything else. So instead, if I had two machine guns, I could better utilize my hero action by putting out twice the bullets (or so), in a slightly longer period of time (which doesn't matter, because I didn't need that "extra" time after a full charge anyway).

That's what I think, anyway.

Edit: Also, I'm not big on gauge breaks, because they are less reliable (in my experience) than just using the machine gunner to widely scratch and break a bunch of enemies. So I more often use my hand gunners to just convert the work that the machine gunner is doing. If you want to focus more on gauge breaking (which is arguably probably more viable later on, when the percentages are better and you can actually wield two decked out hand guns), then dual handguns is definitely the way to go.

RS4-

Man, I think I took maybe 15 tries on uhh, Chapter 2 boss? (the mutant dude and oil thing) with only one and a half basels? bezels?

Got annoyed and started all over again with hero gauge and I didn't even use a single one. Was just a matter of luck for me if I would get a ohko on those oildrum dudes and have the boss continually attack one of my guys that was behind a wall.

Frustrating as hell!

jiien

I was going to add this to the end of my above post, but since it's a different subject, I hope you guys don't mind the double post (unless someone posts before I get this off).

So I was going through the extremely linear dungeon that makes the setting for chapter's 5 and 6 (linear as in, the maps are mostly bare and you travel from one end to the other, many, many times over), and was messing around leveling up with some rookie grenades (I was actually just using hero actions to get from one end to the other quickly without fighting what are now really easily killed enemies and not worth the experience), and I found another use for grenades that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

When you're trying to get from A to B, or even in normal combat situations, people usually like to jump while scratching, because it's efficient and you don't have to blast through what may be several other layers of whatever. Also, you don't waste your hero action pouring damage into what may be a really low HP barrier (such as on the thugs and such). The problem with the way I was traveling though was that I was burning through bezels and not getting them back enough. One hero action would fully scratch a guy, another hero action would kill him off and replace one of the two bezels I've already spent, and then I'd make my way out of the other end of the map. Well, here's where grenades come in. Rookie grenades (though I think grenades in general) will rarely hit the center target, even if you're jumping in the air. It depends on the enemy, I think, but most of the time, the grenade will "automatically" hit the barriers before it will hit the center. So instead of using handguns to finish off that scratched enemy, it was more efficient if I used my rookie grenades, so that I could get an additional bezel back by breaking off that really small barrier before hitting the center.

Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool, and thought it might be useful. Hope you guys read these essays I'm writing :(

Edit: AH CRAP, so that's what those shiny golden barrel things are? Item containers? I thought they were some kind of special barrel I could blow up to make electricity damage or something...and could never get them to explode, so I ignored them. RAWR. I just got the second machine gun from
Dakota Vein
and was thinking, so how exactly do I get this thing...and ran around till I got the little 'examine' icon pop up. Damnit. By the end of Chapter 6, I haven't missed anything important, have I?

Varion

jiien said:
Edit: AH CRAP, so that's what those shiny golden barrel things are? Item containers? I thought they were some kind of special barrel I could blow up to make electricity damage or something...
Oh great, so it wasn't just me :lol I thought they were meant for blowing up too until the power plant. Think I saw one or two in Lucia, so I'll have to go back through there and check later.

UK copy finally arrived yesterday, was just intending to play it for a few hours before bed... then ended up finally turning the PS3 off about 4am. Got up to Chapter 3. Can't believe I'd pretty much dismissed the game before reading all the impressions on this board, it's so good. Thanks guys! :lol

Paraclete

Banned
jiien said:
I was going to add this to the end of my above post, but since it's a different subject, I hope you guys don't mind the double post (unless someone posts before I get this off).

So I was going through the extremely linear dungeon that makes the setting for chapter's 5 and 6 (linear as in, the maps are mostly bare and you travel from one end to the other, many, many times over), and was messing around leveling up with some rookie grenades (I was actually just using hero actions to get from one end to the other quickly without fighting what are now really easily killed enemies and not worth the experience), and I found another use for grenades that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

When you're trying to get from A to B, or even in normal combat situations, people usually like to jump while scratching, because it's efficient and you don't have to blast through what may be several other layers of whatever. Also, you don't waste your hero action pouring damage into what may be a really low HP barrier (such as on the thugs and such). The problem with the way I was traveling though was that I was burning through bezels and not getting them back enough. One hero action would fully scratch a guy, another hero action would kill him off and replace one of the two bezels I've already spent, and then I'd make my way out of the other end of the map. Well, here's where grenades come in. Rookie grenades (though I think grenades in general) will rarely hit the center target, even if you're jumping in the air. It depends on the enemy, I think, but most of the time, the grenade will "automatically" hit the barriers before it will hit the center. So instead of using handguns to finish off that scratched enemy, it was more efficient if I used my rookie grenades, so that I could get an additional bezel back by breaking off that really small barrier before hitting the center.

Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool, and thought it might be useful. Hope you guys read these essays I'm writing :(

Edit: AH CRAP, so that's what those shiny golden barrel things are? Item containers? I thought they were some kind of special barrel I could blow up to make electricity damage or something...and could never get them to explode, so I ignored them. RAWR. I just got the second machine gun from
Dakota Vein
and was thinking, so how exactly do I get this thing...and ran around till I got the little 'examine' icon pop up. Damnit. By the end of Chapter 6, I haven't missed anything important, have I?
From what I remember up to that point they are mostly garbage items/things to sell.

Ricker

RS4- said:
Man, I think I took maybe 15 tries on uhh, Chapter 2 boss? (the mutant dude and oil thing) with only one and a half basels? bezels?

Got annoyed and started all over again with hero gauge and I didn't even use a single one. Was just a matter of luck for me if I would get a ohko on those oildrum dudes and have the boss continually attack one of my guys that was behind a wall.

Frustrating as hell!

I almost had him,I almost had more problems in the room before the Boss,with those 3 fat guys sitting on top of that little slope platform...now I can use jump properly,which I never did before,got as much molotov and grenades I can afford,a few scratch damage healing kits and all,I should be good next time...I got him very close to dying...just wondering

at one point he puts his head in a huge can or something,can I shoot that down so he doesn`t heal??

RS4-

Ricker said:
I almost had him,I almost had more problems in the room before the Boss,with those 3 fat guys sitting on top of that little slope platform...now I can use jump properly,which I never did before,got as much molotov and grenades I can afford,a few scratch damage healing kits and all,I should be good next time...I got him very close to dying...just wondering

at one point he puts his head in a huge can or something,can I shoot that down so he doesn`t heal??

Yeah you can, you can take it down in like 3 grenades while the boss goes after your other characters.

I lucked out when I had Leanne behind one of those walls and the boss on the other side trying to attack her and only her. Vash and Zeph flanked and had free shots :lol

Tonza

Started the game with japanese voices but I'll probably change to english. Changing the voices didn't seem to work in the game so I guess I'll have to start again? Not a problem though since I only played through the prologue.
The tutorials were long though. (You can skip those right?)

Varion

Tonza said:
Started the game with japanese voices but I'll probably change to english. Changing the voices didn't seem to work in the game so I guess I'll have to start again? Not a problem though since I only played through the prologue.
It's worth using the dub so you don't miss out on the unsubtitled battle conversations really, some of them are great. It helps that the dub is overall pretty good, I think is the first time I've actually chosen the dub in a dual audio game :lol

Also you don't have to do the tutorial at all, just ignore it. I wish I had, thought it might teach me something new but it was nothing I didn't pick up from playing the demo already.

kurohana

Tonza said:
You can change it on the main menu screen, no need to start over.

Tonza

Varion said:
It's worth using the dub so you don't miss out on the unsubtitled battle conversations really, some of them are great. It helps that the dub is overall pretty good, I think is the first time I've actually chosen the dub in a dual audio game :lol

Also you don't have to do the tutorial at all, just ignore it. I wish I had, thought it might teach me something new but it was nothing I didn't pick up from playing the demo already.

Yeah, I mainly chose japanese audio because Zephyr's voice in english was a bit whiny in the cutscenes I saw. But I've already missed some lines because the subtitle changes so fast. (for the record, Im used to read subtitles normally)

Thanks for the answers. Will change to dub next time I start it up.

jiien

Paraclete said:
From what I remember up to that point they are mostly garbage items/things to sell.

Okay cool, not going to bother going back to hunt them down then.

Tonza said:
Yeah, I mainly chose japanese audio because Zephyr's voice in english was a bit whiny in the cutscenes I saw. But I've already missed some lines because the subtitle changes so fast. (for the record, Im used to read subtitles normally)

Thanks for the answers. Will change to dub next time I start it up.

Just an opinion, but Zephyr has not struck me as whiny at all. Though it wasn't his voice that prompted me to think that way, I too thought he'd be a bit annoying compared a demure, shy girl and a mature older guy, but he isn't at all. I think any misgivings you have about his voice actor will go away once you get going with the dialogue/character building. This is definitely one of the only games I've played where not a single character in the whole game annoys me even slightly.

2San

Got it played it for a bit(finished prologue). Btw how much do you guys level grenades? I'm pretty anal with using consumables. I die everytime I throw a grenade. Do you get a lot of them or are they cheap to buy in shops(haven't seen them in shops yet)?

duckroll

2San said:
Got it played it for a bit(finished prologue). Btw how much do you guys level grenades? I'm pretty anal with using consumables. I die everytime I throw a grenade. Do you get a lot of them or are they cheap to buy in shops(haven't seen them in shops yet)?

You can buy rookie grenades, and you can very easily make better grenades using rookie grenades and easy to find materials.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is there an easy way to make money? :p

Oh and reached chapter 5.
Vashyron is a horny bastard
Barbarella scene was lolworthy

Dead

well not really...yet
ULTROS! said:
Is there an easy way to make money? :p

Oh and reached chapter 5.
Vashyron is a horny bastard
Barbarella scene was lolworthy
Start doing straight line hero actions + bonus shots during combat.

You'll get tons and tons of silver and gold chips.

After a while youll end up with hundred upon hundreds of them for you to go and sell.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ferrio said:
Smackdowns also give you extra items, and a lot easier to do (and seem more frequently to trigger)
Ive been constantly getting bonus shots lately, so at the end of every battle there is literally page after page of items that get sent to me :lol (currently doing it with 2 SMGs equipped)

Dalauz

jiien said:
Which one is that again? If you're more specific, I might be able to help.

Garigliano wants Zephyr to look like a typical person from lower levels
And the chick from the cloth store ask to help her to impress Garigliano

jiien

Dalauz said:
Garigliano wants Zephyr to look like a typical person from lower levels
And the chick from the cloth store ask to help her to impress Garigliano

Ah, right, the two part thing. First, for Garigliano, go as Zephyr and be in the B-style clothes. He'll bitch about how ugly you are, but you'll get a book among other things as a reward. Give the book to the girl at the clothing store.

Dalauz

jiien said:
Ah, right, the two part thing. First, for Garigliano, go as Zephyr and be in the B-style clothes. He'll bitch about how ugly you are, but you'll get a book among other things as a reward. Give the book to the girl at the clothing store.
Muchas gracias!

I cant believe was that easy. I was like making quimeric cloth combos based on how the NPC's in level 7 looks and stuff like that lol! thanks again

edit:

kurohana said:

Thanks too!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Glad to see a lot of people have picked this game up and are playing it... it's next on my list after FF13, of course. But anyways, I was reading the 1up review of the game and the review seemed absolutely terrible - barely any explanation of the game mechanics/graphics/sound/story and instead mainly ranting on how confusing it was for the reviewer. Anybody else read the review and agree/disagree?

jiien

Dalauz said:
Muchas gracias!

I cant believe was that easy. I was like making quimeric cloth combos based on how the NPC's in level 7 looks and stuff like that lol! thanks again

Yeah, I lucked out on that one. I just happened to be already set, and didn't go nuts trying to figure out what he wanted.

Dresden

djtiesto said:
Glad to see a lot of people have picked this game up and are playing it... it's next on my list after FF13, of course. But anyways, I was reading the 1up review of the game and the review seemed absolutely terrible - barely any explanation of the game mechanics/graphics/sound/story and instead mainly ranting on how confusing it was for the reviewer. Anybody else read the review and agree/disagree?
It's hard for me to say because I personally love the game and think he was dumb and/or crazy. In the opinion it's his opinion and if he didn't enjoy the game, so be it. Maybe it really isn't accessible to the average player. Who knows. I have to admit that for the first thirty minutes I didn't know what the fuck I was doing, either, the combat system is a bit opaque at first.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man, I don't know how to do bonus shots. :(

Oh and is the Arena useful? :p

ULTROS! said:

Run and shoot them from the ground (Don't jump) the bonus shot will happen. I'd say just keep shooting them until it starts.

Datschge

duckroll said:
Norimoto has shown twice now with VP and RoF that he can craft a really interesting worldview and a totally original sort of story if he really wants to. This just indicates to me that when tri-Ace is pumping out all their other shitty games, Norimoto is just sitting back and slacking as a supervisor. :p
Yea, he definitely should do that more often than once every 10 years...

dramatis

ULTROS! said:

You can earn small amounts of money from the arena. If you win arena battles, you also get Battle Coins, which can be traded for items. Seems like you need to fight a lot to get the better items though.

Ricker

Never thought I would make it lol,Tarman down,flower placed...it`s definetly a little confusing at first but you have to stick with it and try and get better...I could see the game was great,even though I died a lot at first and that stretch of fighting to the Boss in Chapter 2 is great for making you understand all the little things that are so different from other games and get better at the game,now i`m loving this game again :D ...thanks for the tips,like the one about the weapon switching...my mistake was removing one weapon but not all 3 so when I went to see what could be equipped,there was nothing,of course...dumb things like that at first hehe...Leeana can`t use a machine gun though or grenades yet right??(chapter 2).

duckroll

Holy fuck, the chapter 7 boss was TOUGH. Must have retried a dozen times trying different strategies. In the end, careful placement + grenades seemed to do the job. The boss encounters really remind me of VP2. They're memorable, strategic, and REALLY rewarding when you finally win. :lol

The cutscenes at the start of chapter 8 = :lol :lol :lol

This is definitely tri-Ace's funniest game. The humor really, really works and the cutscenes actually feel well directed!

jiien

Ricker said:
Never thought I would make it lol,Tarman down,flower placed...it`s definetly a little confusing at first but you have to stick with it and try and get better...I could see the game was great,even though I died a lot at first and that stretch of fighting to the Boss in Chapter 2 is great for making you understand all the little things that are so different from other games and get better at the game,now i`m loving this game again :D ...thanks for the tips,like the one about the weapon switching...my mistake was removing one weapon but not all 3 so when I went to see what could be equipped,there was nothing,of course...dumb things like that at first hehe...Leeana can`t use a machine gun though or grenades yet right??(chapter 2).

Everybody can use anything as long as they have the weight capacity (and if I remember correctly, everyone should be able to hold any one single gun easily). So she should be able to use a machine gun or grenades.

On a side note, I finally have the weight capacity for two decked out machine guns on any one of my three characters (well, sort of, Leanne is lagging behind a bit, but she's just about there). WOW. So powerful. The game is really starting to pick up.

Mudkips

Banned
So for a tri-attack...

I get me the charge circle split three ways.
How do I know which segment corresponds to which character?

It's not based on order in the tri attack, and it's not fixed per character...

duckroll said:
Holy fuck, the chapter 7 boss was TOUGH. Must have retried a dozen times trying different strategies. In the end, careful placement + grenades seemed to do the job. The boss encounters really remind me of VP2. They're memorable, strategic, and REALLY rewarding when you finally win. :lol

The chapter 9 boss was one of the toughest main story bosses for me.. there's a few tricks that makes it easier though, like every boss. I thought most of the main story bosses were well designed.. and some of the danger zone fights are good too if you like a challenge.

Tonza

Finally beat some random level 44 monster. It was in chapter 3 in a red hex and my chars are level 7-9 so it was damn hard. I must've retried more than 15 times. :lol

Should I switch guns around to level faster since now only Vashyron levels fast because I use grenades with him?

Skerj

I'm too in love with this game and the hype I had for it since I saw the first trailer has been completely fulfilled. It's like Tri Ace looked at some of the stagnant and overlooked conventions of the genre and evolved them instead of omitting them completely *cough*. It's refreshing as it doesn't insult my intelligence and shows that we can still have the things we're used to in RPGs with at least some originality injected into it. Usually when I say this, I get lambasted by fanboys of whatever game I'm referring to and they say I "don't get it" and the game is "old school". So thanks EoE team for tapping into my brain with your satellite mind.

Also I can't believe for once I look FORWARD to battle chatter from a Tri Ace game (or any rpg for that matter), I wanted to stab Claude, Precis, and crew from Star Ocean 2 each time I had to hear how many points that fight must have been. It's all damn hilarious especially the "offense/defense" line and some of the win quotes. Glad the characters have bucked the trend of 90% of RPG archetypes as I was totally expecting Zephyr to be some angsty silent asshat.

Tonza said:
Finally beat some random level 44 monster. It was in chapter 3 in a red hex and my chars are level 7-9 so it was damn hard. I must've retried more than 15 times. :lol

Should I switch guns around to level faster since now only Vashyron levels fast because I use grenades with him?

I just did that one about an hour ago and everyone but Vashyron being like level 12 with Vash being 15. Some crazy damn strategy involved but once I figured it out everything went fine, and well I was determined to kick his ass. Fortunately it's caused me to pay attention to armor and body part crushing more.

zlatko

Banned
duckroll said:

The cutscenes at the start of chapter 8 = :lol :lol :lol

This is definitely tri-Ace's funniest game. The humor really, really works and the cutscenes actually feel well directed!

Great to see duckroll finally believing in this game now that you got it. It may have had a crap release window and not huge exposure, but it def. delivered a great game to us starved JRPG fans.

I don't like to play sales, but it'd be nice to see this game sell enough to send the message to tri-ace and other JRPG devs that this game was a step or two in the right direction. I hope it also sells enough so tri-ace will make a sequel at some point, because as good as this game is it leaves so much more room to improve upon in every aspect of its design.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
can someone explain each weapon parameter?

what's the different between speed of charging and acceleration?

Raide

I have not been keeping up with this game but people talking about Grinding. Are we talking about grinding monsters for gear/xp etc?

duckroll

Raide said:
I have not been keeping up with this game but people talking about Grinding. Are we talking about grinding monsters for gear/xp etc?

Grinding for materials. It's very similar to VP2, where there are either quests requiring certain material parts from certain enemies, or you need certain parts to create a certain item/equipment, etc. There isn't really much (any?) grinding for exp in the game, because if you switch weapon types around for each character you level up pretty quickly.

duckroll

Error said:
can someone explain each weapon parameter?

what's the different between speed of charging and acceleration?

Charge Speed determines how fast that weapon charges in general. The higher the stat, the fast the charge circle will build up when you start aiming. Charge acceleration determines how much faster subsequent charges are beyond the first charge. The higher the stat, the faster multiple charges will build up after the first charge is done.

Ricker

Raide said:

For me it was grinding the easy fights to get use to the whole scheme of things hehe,at the arena and the easier guys,on the first floor map.

Mudkips said:
So for a tri-attack...

I get me the charge circle split three ways.
How do I know which segment corresponds to which character?

It's not based on order in the tri attack, and it's not fixed per character...

Not exactly sure yet...I just mash the button for now to make sure I don`t miss some but yeah,sometimes only 2 do an attack,not all 3 so i`m missing something still...

Top Bottom