• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

TEJ

Okay, for the pharmacist quest I think i'm supposed to give the card to the guy in the white coat in cranktown. I get a special ! right over him before I talk to him, but nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong? Is my game glitched up? Will skipping this affect future quests?

jiien

TEJ said:
Okay, for the pharmacist quest I think i'm supposed to give the card to the guy in the white coat in cranktown. I get a special ! right over him before I talk to him, but nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong? Is my game glitched up? Will skipping this affect future quests?

Wrong time of day, maybe? I'm not sure, I never had any problems with that quest.

And as for affecting future missions, (relatively spoiler free)
while I can't say for sure, it may actually prevent future quests. I believe there is one more like it after that one, and then ultimately, you can get a unique item if you do all the quests for him. If you really want to know, you can highlight the following paragraph:

DON'T unspoil the next part unless you've already unspoiled the above.

She eventually gets out of the wheelchair, thanks to your efforts, and I believe rewards you with a particular doll, which can be given to the Ebel shopkeeper at the door, for his daughter.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Error said:
why do you simplify things? I can say rpgs are merely attack/magic and make it sound atrocious. there's a lot more than just scratch/hero action in rof. I can't wait till you tackle dolled up dwelist and tell me that's all there's to the battle system.
Was that the thing with the jumping attack and the two lackeys? I killed it before I wrote that post. My "strategy" after hero action scratch/killing the lackeys was to park one of my guys in front of him to get his face pounded while muching first aids while the others continued the scratch/kill mechanic.

Hero action->scratch->kill doesn't seem like a simplification because that really was all I was doing. Perhaps that changes, but after ~10 hours it hadn't and I got bored.

Things that would spice up the battle system?

1. More types of weapons than just scratch/real/gernades. More interactions between the types of damage. Flame throwers and whatnot. Maybe certain kinds of armor require x amount of fire damage before they can be scratched, or you could attempt to bypass the armor with a sniper rifle, etc.

2. More conrtol over skills. Granted I didn't get too far but skills seemed completely automatic both in gaining and using. A person could play the entire game without even realizing they exist. Why not let me pick and choose both the skill upgrades for my characters and when to use them. Maybe introduce more powerful skills that use up hero action points.

3. Make terrain more important. If jumping can launch you over any land obstacle, perhaps introduce ceiling obstacles so that you can't always take the optimal path? I dunno, but terrain should matter. Maybe I've been playing too much d&d.

Let me reiterate that I have only played 10 hours and am not intending to come across as one who has played the entire game.

Defunkled

Schopenhauer said:
I beat the game last night. I really enjoyed it.

I have a quick question or two though.

In neverland I had a few monster drops (like black blood) that have descriptions which say they can be used in item synthesis, but none of the things the tinkerer can make uses them. Any ideas?

Can gun pieces be rotated? Otherwise this pic just doesn't seem possible.
rlfaxw.jpg

This needs to be a gun in real life.

TEJ said:

are you sure you got the card? you should compete other missions in the meanttime. i doubt it's the time of day.

TEJ

DMPrince said:
are you sure you got the card? you should compete other missions in the meanttime. i doubt it's the time of day.

It's not in my inventory. I keep talking to the guy but he won't give me one, and i've completed all other missions in that chapter including the story mission

Defuser

Barely beaten chapter 11,damn this is the worse boss battle ever.Fuck you lagerfield and your teleport,good thing I got enough Hero gauge and health to survive.

TEJ said:
It's not in my inventory. I keep talking to the guy but he won't give me one, and i've completed all other missions in that chapter including the story mission
Is this one of the quests where the butler guy asks you to get stuff for the little girl in the wheelchair?

I remember him giving out a card when you initially talk to him (marked with a ! in the inventory). Maybe you accidentally sold it or something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I'm having trouble with the boss in Chapter 6. Anyway to kill it?

Right kids, time for LabouredSubterfuge's I-spent-til-4-o-clock-in-the-morning-playing-this update!

1. Holy fuck I'm loving this game. I'm going to lose a lot of my life to this.

2. Took me over an hour to finally beat Dolled-up Dwellist whilst at lv. 10 - fuck her in her stupid body-slamming ass.

3. I need to go play it again now, bye!

duckroll

ULTROS! said:

Practice scratching complete armor pieces and then recovering bezels by breaking them. Try to use as few hero actions as possible, and don't worry about resonance since you can't do tri-attacks anyway. There is a barrier wall in the bottom right corner which I used as a sort of decoy cover. Basically you make the boss follow one character which you move around the barrier so he can never actually hit him, while doing normal attacks over and over with the SMG.

When there has been enough scratch damage on the armor, use the direct damage character to break them off, or just give one character both types of weapons for maximum effect. When most of the armor have been broken off, try to do maximum scratch damage while either juggling or stunning the boss in the attack so his attack charge gets cancelled, then apply direct damage immediately. Repeat until he's dead.

This is the strategy I used when I was underleveled and couldn't easily beat him using "normal" methods.

remz

ULTROS! said:
run around his ass and fill it when SMG bullets

probably not the best strat because it took me like 20 retrys, but it worked.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks guys. :D

It sucks having two characters only

duckroll

I kinda like how the game has 3 character and 2 character story missions. It definitely makes you reconsider common strategies and form new ways of approaching certain battles.

Defuser

duckroll said:
I kinda like how the game has 3 character and 2 character story missions. It definitely makes you reconsider common strategies and form new ways of approaching certain battles.
Wait till you do one character story missions!!

Ricker

I think I have one thing left to understand in this game...last evening I clicked on a flashing red hex near Lucia,turned out to be those harder fights I guess(i`m just in chapter 3,going to the forest of idols),against a big Troll looking guy at level 48,I actually came kinda close to beating them if I understood the circles/barrier/colors more.How does this work,let`s say i`m using Zephyr with a MG,the damage he does is for one written in blue,compared to the red og Vashyron let`s say with a HG,also those half circle meters around the ennemy,i`m not sure what it means as well as the yellow meter below the names and level of the ennemy sometimes,instead of being red or whatever...I do a gauge broken every once in a while but i`m not sure why I did that...because of those half circle meters on the Boss,I guess I wasn`t doing damage or something at one point for like 5 rounds,until I finally went critical,and finally got killed...

duckroll

Ricker said:
I think I have one thing left to understand in this game...last evening I clicked on a flashing red hex near Lucia,turned out to be those harder fights I guess(i`m just in chapter 3,going to the forest of idols),against a big Troll looking guy at level 48,I actually came kinda close to beating them if I understood the circles/barrier/colors more.How does this work,let`s say i`m using Zephyr with a MG,the damage he does is for one written in blue,compared to the red og Vashyron let`s say with a HG,also those half circle meters around the ennemy,i`m not sure what it means as well as the yellow meter below the names and level of the ennemy sometimes,instead of being red or whatever...I do a gauge broken every once in a while but i`m not sure why I did that...because of those half circle meters on the Boss,I guess I wasn`t doing damage or something at one point for like 5 rounds,until I finally went critical,and finally got killed...

Okay. Let's try to simplify things one at a time. First, I will address the general user interface and what stuff mean:

- Lifebars are shown in green. When it starts turning blue, that is scratch damage. Scratch damage is damage done by SMGs as well as damage done to the party as long as you have at least one hero bezel left (theses are the red dot icons at the bottom center of the screen).

- Scratch damage recovers automatically over time, but any single hit from a direct damage weapon (HGs or grenades) will turn all scratch damage into actual damage, and the blue parts of the life bar will be taken away for good.

- The arc bars that surround an enemy indicate the armor that enemy has. They are positioned in a precise way, such that if there are gaps, this indicates unprotected parts of the body. When you hit an enemy from the ground, if you are shooting at the direction protected by armor, you will damage the armor piece instead of the main enemy body. If you hit an enemy from the air, you will generally spread the damage around the entire enemy. Sometimes this means you will damage all armor parts a bit, sometimes it means you directly hit the main body. It is much harder to control what you are hitting when you are in the air, as opposed to being on the ground.

- A target icon over a character's name indicates that an enemy is charging up an attack on that character. If it is yellow, it means the attack is either still charging, or the enemy is still moving towards that character to get into range. If the icon is red, it means that the next move is the attack, which has been fully charged. If you skip a character's turn, that attack will go off. If you perform a hero action, at the end of that action the attack will go off.

Here's a short explanation of how skills in the game work:

Every character, as he/she levels up each weapon type, games the chance to have special skills in an attack. Let's take "Stun 5%" for example. For a certain character, using SMGs and building up at least 4 levels of charge before activating an attack will result in 5% chance that the attack also ends up stunning an enemy.

As for gauge break, it is a normal HG skill that builds with each charge. You'll notice that the more you charge an attack, the higher the gauge break ability goes up, increasing your change of breaking the enemy's HP gauge(s).

When you break a HP gauge (this can be the main body's HP bar, or any of the armor pieces), you divide that HP gauge into two. This increases the number of bezels you can recover from dealing actual damage to that HP bar. A successful break also stuns an enemy, cancelling any attack they might have charged and stopping their movement for a turn.

For SMGs, building multiple charge levels increases the amount of scratch damage done, and is VERY useful for clearing out enemies fast, especially later in the game.

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
Ricker said:

Ok well the circles bellow the enemy are armor they protect the enemies body from damage

MG do scratch (blue damage) and HG do direct/real damage (red numbers) if there is any blue on the meter it gets coverted and become real damge

ex: 500 scratch (blue numbers) + 5 direct (red numbers) = 505 real

So if you turn there armor hp (half circle below enemy) all blue w/ the mg and hit it with a
red (hand guns/grenades) it will strip it off leaving the enemy with no armor. The goal is to do the same to the enemies main body (one strat is jumping over and shooting)

The gauge bellow an enemy's hp bar is there "turn" meter it builds up as you do actions and when it goes from yellow to red they attack. You will also notice a letter (V L Z) on that meter which tells who they are targeting

Gauge breaks happen usually as a skill activation (usually after 4 charges) of a handgun
that allows a large gauge (armor or hp) to be broken into smaller chunks (which can hep with chipping armor/health away out of mor sturdier enemies

And a bonus: Its been mentioned here often but a easy method of beating melee based larger enemies (dollest, hammer guys?) use a character to "kite" the enemy around and use the other two to take pot shots.

Hope this helps

*beaten :D

Defuser

MaddMastaMike said:
Gauge breaks happen usually as a skill activation (usually after 4 charges) of a handgun
that allows a large gauge (armor or hp) to be broken into smaller chunks (which can hep with chipping armor/health away out of mor sturdier enemies
Extra thing to mention here,if you break gauge break enemies,lowering their hp chunks will earn back a hero action.

A couple of questions I have:

1. Is there any decent tactic for getting out of critical condition? It feels like it's pretty much gameover from there unless you're against shitty enemies and you can break off a part or you've managed to break their gauge earlier..

2. Do you get quests/side-quests from anywhere other than the guild boards? I want to be sure I'm not missing anything substantial.

3. Do you end up getting anything other than hand guns or sub machine-guns? I've seen enemies with shotguns and would love it if there was a decent variety in weapons in the game.

Cheers!

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
LabouredSubterfuge said:

1. Is there any decent tactic for getting out of critical condition? It feels like it's pretty much gameover from there unless you're against shitty enemies and you can break off a part or you've managed to break their gauge earlier..

2. Do you get quests/side-quests from anywhere other than the guild boards? I want to be sure I'm not missing anything substantial.

3. Do you end up getting anything other than hand guns or sub machine-guns? I've seen enemies with shotguns and would love it if there was a decent variety in weapons in the game.

Cheers!

1. Pray :D actually If you go crit its pretty much a delayed game over, I would say the best way is not to be in that position. if you are in a tough battle or swarmed scratch some armor of weaklings if there around and use them as an insurance policy if whatever bigbad
you fighting get a lucky hit. A rule of thumb is that each bezel? is worth 1000 hp/scratch
so if you have 1200 you lose 2 if full scratched. I for one run like a school girl and rest *if escape is possible*

2. Guild boards are usally the main place for side quest. jsut start checking back frequently after chp 5 (they are posted in threes)

3. ummm grenades....nope thats it and golden versions of each gun.

Defuser

WOOOOO!! After 2/3 grueling days of arena slaving,I finally got the M150A desert eagle,fuck you arena mode. I will never play you again......for now.

duckroll

Wow, the boss fight in chapter 11 is AMAZING! So much fun. It took 3 tries, but once I figured out the trick, I beat him pretty good. And I dunno if it's just my taste, but the story and characters are REALLY interesting. The cutscenes are getting better and better, and the way the story and the character backgrounds are slowly fleshed out is really well done.

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Cheers!

1. It depends on the battle and the situation you're in. Critical condition is not always the end, but most of the time it is. Generally if you're facing a bunch of enemies and you're nowhere close to killing any of them, and you go into critical condition, it's best just to retry. But in some cases, a critical condition might be triggered intentionally as a gamble, since you can use your last bezel to do a hero action which is fulll scratch, and still end up away from the enemy's attack. Then you use another character to finish that enemy off and win. I've beaten several encounters in critical condition, and I've also recovered from a bunch before, but it's hard and it's not always worth the effort. Depends entirely on the situation.

2. The only non-guild side events are the doll collecting (you need to finish the original quest first), the arena, and kitty dog (you need to finish the original kitty dog quest first).

3. No. the game is focued on handguns, submachine guns, and grenades.

Tonza

Im getting RoF fatigue atm. 18 hours in and just started chapter 7.

I did put Yakuza 3 and FFXIII on hold for this though so I'll return to those and take a break from this.

Chapter 7 opening cutscene was... weird. :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I really can't wait for this game anymore. I hate waiting for the mail...!

How much does the game run at? 60 fps outside battle, 30 in battle? Reversed?

duckroll

Yoshichan said:
I really can't wait for this game anymore. I hate waiting for the mail...!

How much does the game run at? 60 fps outside battle, 30 in battle? Reversed?

I think it's 30fps locked for everything. Battles have deliberate slowdown when you do certain things.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
duckroll said:
I think it's 30fps locked for everything. Battles have deliberate slowdown when you do certain things.
Sounds frikkin awesome. These slowdowns won't matter much right?

duckroll

Dresden said:
Whoa, the cutscene you get when you leave the game on the title screen for a bit is pretty full of spoilers.

No, it's not. You're expected to know those things when you play the game, otherwise the scenes with Rowen and Sullivan will make very little sense. This game doesn't employ "plot twists" to tell the story. Instead it just peels away at the layers as you learn more about the various characters and the world. That cutscene is just the first major layer.

Yoshichan said:
Sounds frikkin awesome. These slowdowns won't matter much right?

The deliberate slowdown is for hero actions and tri-attacks where it goes slow-mo while you're running/jumping and charging attacks along a plotted route. JOHN WOO!

So, in game references to knockback basically refer to a chance of staggering the enemy and resetting the charge gauge?

I have mostly noticed it happening during hero action where I was attacking from the ground, and don't recall it happening during attacks from the air. If that is the case, it seems like a more effective way of stopping enemies from attacking than the temporary stun from gauge breaking.

I beat the final arena fight last night. I was disappointed that there isn't any extra prize associated with that accomplishment.

I am about half way through Neverland. The battles are fun, but frustrating. I end up spending more time stopping enemies from attacking (using stun, gauge breaking, knocking them into the air) than actually killing them.

I love how tri-Ace decided to balance the leveling system with the hero gauge. When enemies are doing 1.5k damage a pop 7k worth of hp doesn't really offer much protection. The prospect of losing 7 of your 12 or 13 hero points will get your mind into a strategic thinking mode pretty quickly.

Tailzo

I've spent 6 hours trying to get the last of the mannequin legs I need for a quest. I've got over 150 arms, and lots of the other parts too. The bestiary seems to indicate I am fighting against the right ennemies. Any ideaes?

Tailzo said:
I've spent 6 hours trying to get the last of the mannequin legs I need for a quest. I've got over 150 arms, and lots of the other parts too. The bestiary seems to indicate I am fighting against the right ennemies. Any ideaes?
did you enter the other area that was blocked off?

Tailzo

^I'm sorry, I am not sure what you mean. I am searching in level 6, and I went through the forest of idols. Hm...

edit: Oh well, Im am off to search some more.

MaddMastaMike

Neo Member
DMPrince said:
did you enter the other area that was blocked off?

What he mean is if you go in the forest there are mini areas in it. go to the far right area
and when you enter that place there will be a formally locked area that should be unlocked
and you'll fight bloody mannequins and they have the parts.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Tailzo said:
^I'm sorry, I am not sure what you mean. I am searching in level 6, and I went through the forest of idols. Hm...

edit: Oh well, Im am off to search some more.
the mannequins in open air studio drop them, you probably made the same mistake as me. I was grinding legs in the wrong place.

Ricker

Thanks for the tips guys,i`m kinda stuck now though because I don`t have the color hexes needed to enter the forest of idols...I did everything I could and I can`t get in there,it`s a brownish green colored hex...maybe I need to trade some energy station to the guy in the room with the bulletin board? that trading screen is a little confusing to me,guess i`ll try stuff and reload a save if I mess things up hehe...

Ricker said:
Thanks for the tips guys,i`m kinda stuck now though because I don`t have the color hexes needed to enter the forest of idols...I did everything I could and I can`t get in there,it`s a brownish green colored hex...maybe I need to trade some energy station to the guy in the room with the bulletin board? that trading screen is a little confusing to me,guess i`ll try stuff and reload a save if I mess things up hehe...

The enemies near there drop them.

Ricker said:
Generally the game provides you with the necessary colored hexes to get to the next destination at the beginning of each chapter. Probably don't want to use them to make energy stations unless you already have a few on hand.

Caelestis

Hey guys, I seem to be stuck on chapter 6 boss. Is there supposed to be some kind of trick to beating it? I tired a bunch of different things, but nothing seems to work out and I get killed before I can hardly do any damage... It's like I am playing the game wrong or something. o_O

tenton

TEJ said:

What does the Mission Memo in the menus say about it? What status does it show for the quest?

So the game came today and honestly, I'm loving it. I really like the battle system and it seems to have a fair amount of depth. Only on Chapter 1, but starting to notice the difficulty spike quite a bit. It's obvious I need to learn the mechanics of the system otherwise I'm just going to continue to die over and over. Otherwise, all the elements of the game are really cool and I think once the battle system becomes more familiar things will even out.

With that said, any advice/strategies/information would be greatly appreciated. Should I just roam around the world map for a bit and fight weaker characters before proceeding?

dramatis

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So the game came today and honestly, I'm loving it. I really like the battle system and it seems to have a fair amount of depth. Only on Chapter 1, but starting to notice the difficulty spike quite a bit. It's obvious I need to learn the mechanics of the system otherwise I'm just going to continue to die over and over. Otherwise, all the elements of the game are really cool and I think once the battle system becomes more familiar things will even out.

With that said, any advice/strategies/information would be greatly appreciated. Should I just roam around the world map for a bit and fight weaker characters before proceeding?

Go to the arena and actually play every single one of the tutorial parts there. If you're stuck in battle, you can press pause and open the manual in the pause screen.

You should set your party order with the machinegun character going first (i.e. first slot in menu screen), so you can deal out scratch damage in your first turn before using a direct damage character. Once in a while, switch your weapons around—character level is summation of all weapon levels, so you want your characters to be slightly well-rounded in everything.

When shooting, let your charge circles gather until you're in a position where you can fire through the gaps of the HP arcs around enemies, that will allow you to damage their actual HP.

Sell the Meat you pick up, and try not to spend all of your money on clothes; guns come first.

BTW, if you see a red glow over a hex that has no exclamation point above it, don't begin combat in that hex unless you're looking for a challenge.

I guess this would pretty much be the laundry list of beginner things, but mostly just run through the arena tutorial. Aside from that, different enemies require different tactics, so if you're not doing well you can try different things. Try to balance your Hero actions with breaking body parts and killing enemies.

Top Bottom