• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Volcynika said:
EDIT: Also, how do I do the quest in Ch 1 where
the shop owner asks you if you have any dolls at your place? Seems kinda vague as to where to get them, I looked around at the base and didn't see anything.

Go to Leanne's room in the Base and search the back-left corner.

Volcynika said:
Hellz yeah.

Also, are regular grenades or molotovs buyable in the store in Chapter 1, and if so, are they expensive? I've leveled up my guns for people, just not sure if I want to worry about leveling those up for now if I can't replenish the amount I have.

EDIT: Also, how do I do the quest in Ch 1 where
the shop owner asks you if you have any dolls at your place? Seems kinda vague as to where to get them, I looked around at the base and didn't see anything.
There's a clown doll
in Lianne's bedroom
. Grenades and molotovs are easy to synthesize later on. You might as well use most of them now and maybe keep a few in case you run into a difficult enemy weak against fire.

I finished the game a few minutes ago and the final battle was a real challenge. Best game I played this year.

duckroll

I've beaten the ch15 story mission. I have one more sub-mission to do in ch15, but instead I'm just grinding sky blue hexes (the straight ones) over and over. I only need about 6-7 more before I have all the good terminals in level 4-6 all connected. This means I can do Paterpolis and Arena battles with:

- 1.5x Item drop rate
- 2x Item drop rate
- 2x Rare item drop rate
- 1.5x Exp
- 2x Charge speed
- Scratch damage recovery reduced

and........

- 2x all of the above!

I'm looking forward to this! I will grind the shit out of Paterpolis too just to get all the goddamn Scrapped Gratling MS parts I need to make a gazillion telephone lenses and also long lenses and micro lenses! I will not be stopped!!! :lol

Well based on all the good opinions of others and some gameplay videos, I ordered this yesterday at around 1:30PM from Amazon with Prime, looks like it will be waiting for me when I get home.

At least FFXIII was good for something, $10 off this game, making it $56.99-$10-3% CC.

I just need to finish the Platinum trophy for FFXIII and then I will be playing this all weekend.

duckroll

I did it! Got to chapter 16. Connected all the shit in levels 4-6, going to get ready to grind the shit out of parts the next time I play! :D

duckroll said:
I did it! Got to chapter 16. Connected all the shit in levels 4-6, going to get ready to grind the shit out of parts the next time I play! :D

Shouldn't you be saving that for your 10th playthrough? ;)

Grats on getting that far. Only a handful of NeoGAF posters have actually completed the game. You'll need all the weapon tweaking you can get to take down the last boss.. preferably your HG users will be able to proc multiple gague breaks with every HA. When you come across enemies with barriers, you need to proc lots of gague breaks to shatter the barrier before you can start doing scratch.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
Shouldn't you be saving that for your 10th playthrough? ;)

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Grats on getting that far. Only a handful of NeoGAF posters have actually completed the game. You'll need all the weapon tweaking you can get to take down the last boss.. preferably your HG users will be able to proc multiple gague breaks with every HA. When you come across enemies with barriers, you need to proc lots of gague breaks to shatter the barrier before you can start doing scratch.

I plan in doing several things before getting into the final story mission:

- grind enough materials to get all my guns up to spec
- get much further in the arena, currently I'm only at rank 13 or something
- re-power all of Basel
- complete all the danger zones left around the map

Snagged a brand new copy off Half.com for $45. Not sure when I'll have time to play it, but at least I've got it.

Also, I've yet to see this anywhere other than Gamestop and Best Buy. Low print run?

Bebpo

Banned
I am doing the tutorial and am stuck at the last one "smackdown"

it says jump above the enemy and fire to sometimes get smackdown by knocking them into the floor.

...it's not happening :\

Volcynika

Bebpo said:
I am doing the tutorial and am stuck at the last one "smackdown"

it says jump above the enemy and fire to sometimes get smackdown by knocking them into the floor.

...it's not happening :\

Stupid question, did you get them airborne before getting above them? That's the only way it'll happen.

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks, yeah it doesn't say in the tutorial to lift them first! >_<
So is the only way to ever do a smackdown by doing a triangle attack?

Also, how many hero action does a tri-attack cost? I get that the resonance points let you do it longer, but does it cost more hero actions as it goes on?

Getting resonance points while also surrounding the enemy seems kind of hard since you have to keep running between and that eventually takes all 3 characters into a corner.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
chapter 9 here right now. 40 hours clocked, taking my sweet ass time.

I'm really enjoying the weapon customization in this game, it's one feature I didnt put too much thought on at first, but it's actually addictive as hell, each weapon parameter isn't just for show, they really affect a weapon's performance. the whole game is phenomenal to me. I think the story is great, there's an emphasis on character interaction that's really refreshing, and I absolutely love how the story is setup.

the amount of content is staggering, too. I've been doing all the sidequests, almost all the danger zones and I still haven't really bothered with the arena. One thing I really like about the sidequests, is that they aren't all just a simple fetch quest affair, some sidquests involve a whole dungeon. what's also really cool, is that the rewards aren't shit, you sometimes get parts for modding weapons that you can't get until much later.

Another aspect I love is how the besels work, it's very much like heart containers in zelda. you get one shard by beating a boss, or by exploring, or by doing danger zones, 4 shards form one besel. pretty damn awesome.

don't really understand why the media was so hard on this game. An rpg this like this comes once in a generation. To me this is the VS and BoF5 of this gen.

best jrpg this gen? probably.
best tri-Ace rpg? it's looking that way.

Bebpo said:

Also, how many hero action does a tri-attack cost? I get that the resonance points let you do it longer, but does it cost more hero actions as it goes on?

Getting resonance points while also surrounding the enemy seems kind of hard since you have to keep running between and that eventually takes all 3 characters into a corner.
no. to do smackdown just initiate the hero action (with square/X). you have to shoot them while you're running on the ground. when enemy pops up you press square/X to jump up and then you shoot them.

Bebpo said:

Nope, you have to do a hero action though in order to both knock the enemy into the air by shooting from the ground and then jump and attack while the enemy is still airborne. You have till the second bounce (for the lighter enemies) to initiate the smackdown.

Tri-attacks only cost one hero action.

Defuser

In order to do a smackdown,enemy has to be airborne and when you jump,you have to be above your airborne enemy then attack.

And duckroll,just do arena instead and get the long scope elite,don't waste much materials on the other scopes.
Charge rate above 100 is more than sufficient,spend your materials on barrels and grips to increase your accelerate, bullet focus and rof

hmm.. I never did arena, money exploits, or grinding and I had plenty of parts and funds to make some good weapon setups.. I did do most of the side quests though

Error said:
don't really understand why the media was so hard on this game. An rpg this like this comes once in a generation. To me this is the VS and BoF5 of this gen.

best jrpg this gen? probably.
best tri-Ace rpg? it's looking that way.

The media was pretty hard on BoF 5 too from memory. This is completely non standard. It has almost no touchstones to genre conventions. This is part of what makes it so interesting, but it requires a small amount time and patience. It also came with no hype, so no reason to try to understand it. On top of that Tri-ace has a very, very low batting average both this gen and over their whole career. There's a lot of reasons to assume this isn't that interesting, and that nobody cares.

So if nobody cares, the developer is crappy and the game is inscrutable to begin with? I'd imagine most reviewers would phone in a review. That said, it hasn't got that bad a reaction. Eurogamer and Gamespot did it justice I think. This is a really great game, it may be the best JRPG this gen, but JRPGs aren't for everyone.

Volcynika

What do danger zones look like? I just started Chapter 03 and I'm not sure if I can access any at all.

Done all the arena ranks available prior to Ch 3, maxed all of 1-5 out. Got a lot of items to work with now!

How grind heavy is this game?

I don't mind taking on quests, but running around fighting the same enemies over and over again is the worst thing I can think of doing in a game.

duckroll

Volcynika said:
What do danger zones look like? I just started Chapter 03 and I'm not sure if I can access any at all.

Done all the arena ranks available prior to Ch 3, maxed all of 1-5 out. Got a lot of items to work with now!

They're normal hex areas which are glowing red.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
marathonfool said:
How grind heavy is this game?

I don't mind taking on quests, but running around fighting the same enemies over and over again is the worst thing I can think of doing in a game.
game is doable without grinding once. grinding in rof is not a necessity, it's the players choice to grind.

gaining levels is easy if you switch weapons around with the characters.

chicken ramen:I don't see how tri-Ace is a crappy developer. Sure they made IU, but heck, even world class rpg developers make shit games once in a while.

Bebpo

Banned
Just hit chapter 2. Liking it so far. Questions:

1. How do you get more clothing in the shop?
2. Where can you buy grenades? I'm out of the ones you start with. Also it seems like these would be hard to level unless they're cheap, since they are one use per grenade items.
3. Is there anywhere in the game that quests are posted besides the Ebel City guild board? Basically if it asks me to go to the next chapter and the Ebel Guild board is empty, am I ok to go on without missing any quests?
4. If you equip a mod part to a gun, can you remove it and the part goes back into your inventory? Or is it permanent and once you place it you have to keep it there or scrap it?

Dead

well not really...yet
Bebpo said:
Just hit chapter 2. Liking it so far. Questions:

1. How do you get more clothing in the shop?
2. Where can you buy grenades? I'm out of the ones you start with. Also it seems like these would be hard to level unless they're cheap, since they are one use per grenade items.
3. Is there anywhere in the game that quests are posted besides the Ebel City guild board? Basically if it asks me to go to the next chapter and the Ebel Guild board is empty, am I ok to go on without missing any quests?
4. If you equip a mod part to a gun, can you remove it and the part goes back into your inventory? Or is it permanent and once you place it you have to keep it there or scrap it?
1. The shop will get more clothes as you progress in the game. You will also find a bunch on the Hex map.
2. At the beginning you will only get grenades as items on the Hex field (enemy drops too? dont remember). Eventually you will be able to buy and make them at the store, but by then you will have more grenades in your inventory than you will know what to do with.
3. There are other guild boards, but I am pretty sure they all post the same stuff. If the ebel board is empty, you can definitely move on.
4. You can remove it and it goes back to the inventory.

Bebpo

Banned
Yay about #4! I haven't tried modding yet because I didn't want to lose any parts in-case you couldn't take them off. Next time I play I'll start messing with it.

Varion

Yeah, I found the same quests on the other boards as I did in Ebel City too. So as long as that one's empty, you're good to advance.

Beat the chapter 9 boss earlier and am now stuck trying to get a Luxury Meat for the quest. Ugh. I can't remember who it was complaining about this one a few pages back, but you have filled me with dread for this one. Determined to do all the submissions, so I'm not skipping it. Need to go grind a few more rare metal shards too, only got one.

Reactivated the vast majority of hexes now too, just missing a few more. Want more, it was always a great feeling to unlock a new floor full of untouched ones to activate and treasure to find. Especially that one floor with 8 bezel shards :lol

great game, even if the battle system and customization are vastly inferior to vp2.

radiata stories is another tri-ace masterpiece btw (unfortunately the battle system in that game is pretty bad)

i would kill for a sequel of BoF5 with vp2 battle system,resonance of fate story and atmosphere, and radiata stories world and subquests.

leng jai

So this game should arrive in the mail on tuesday, any tips for a new player? Sounds like might be a fair few tricks that would make things easier in this game.

leng jai said:
So this game should arrive in the mail on tuesday, any tips for a new player? Sounds like might be a fair few tricks that would make things easier in this game.
  • There are two FMVs before the start screen. Watch both of them, they add important backstory.
  • A lot of the story is told through pre-combat chatter. Try to listen to some of it before you start blazing at anything that moves.
  • Behind the City of Ebel there is an arena with tutorials. Complete all tutorials before you try to explore the rest of the world.

Defuser

Unlocked neverland and wtffff the enemies here are fucking high level and hard!!!!! I can level here like there's no tomorrow!!!wooooooooooo

Error said:
chicken ramen:I don't see how tri-Ace is a crappy developer. Sure they made IU, but heck, even world class rpg developers make shit games once in a while.

That's a whole other argument. I can't stand any of their other games that aren't Valkyrie Profile games. They're usually mashy and dumb, but that's just my opinion. I will accept that there are people who like their other games. That aside they still have two big failures this gen though, at least in a perception sense.

duckroll

chicken_ramen said:
That's a whole other argument. I can't stand any of their other games that aren't Valkyrie Profile games. They're usually mashy and dumb, but that's just my opinion. I will accept that there are people who like their other games. That aside they still have two big failures this gen though, at least in a perception sense.

But tri-Ace has only released 11 games in their entire studio career. 3 of those games are VP games, so if you count RoF as well, that's 4 games out of 11. That's over 1/3 of their entire output being really good games. I'm not sure how that's a very, very low batting average at all.

They have two major IPs: SO and VP. Regardless of quality, SO sells very well, while VP is more of a critics darling. So they have both a cash cow and a more "artistic" series which is relatively critically acclaimed. Aside from those two, they have attempted 3 new IPs over the years. RoF is an amazing game, so even if the other two are trash, that's once again, a 1/3 score in terms of launching a successful new IP.

It's not like tri-Ace releases 10 games every generation, and only 1 of them is great. It's more like 2-3 games every generation, and 1 of them is great. Since they have more games lined up for this current generation, I guess we'll see if the ratio slips much more in the coming years...

distantmantra said:
Snagged a brand new copy off Half.com for $45. Not sure when I'll have time to play it, but at least I've got it.

Also, I've yet to see this anywhere other than Gamestop and Best Buy. Low print run?

We got a few copies at Kmart. They will set until they are clearanced out in 2011.

duckroll said:
But tri-Ace has only released 11 games in their entire studio career. 3 of those games are VP games, so if you count RoF as well, that's 4 games out of 11. That's over 1/3 of their entire output being really good games. I'm not sure how that's a very, very low batting average at all.

They have two major IPs: SO and VP. Regardless of quality, SO sells very well, while VP is more of a critics darling. So they have both a cash cow and a more "artistic" series which is relatively critically acclaimed. Aside from those two, they have attempted 3 new IPs over the years. RoF is an amazing game, so even if the other two are trash, that's once again, a 1/3 score in terms of launching a successful new IP.

It's not like tri-Ace releases 10 games every generation, and only 1 of them is great. It's more like 2-3 games every generation, and 1 of them is great. Since they have more games lined up for this current generation, I guess we'll see if the ratio slips much more in the coming years...

No, you're right. But you can look at this math as half full or half empty. I like 4 of 11, I also really don't like 7 of 11. I like 1 of 3 new IP, I also thought 2 of 3 were terrible. This is personal math though, based purely on my own opinion. And the numbers are small. I look at them from the glass half empty side most of the time, which is my problem.

My needless troll/jab wasn't really helpful to the point I was really making. Tri Ace has a bad image this gen. Which is a part of the lack of hype around their latest game. Which is why some reviews are phoned in. We've sort of moved past that question now though.

duckroll

chicken_ramen said:
Tri Ace has a bad image this gen. Which is a part of the lack of hype around their latest game. Which is why some reviews are phoned in. We've sort of moved past that question now though.

This is absolutely true. I think IU managed to single-handedly poison enough of the well this entire generation that it'll take at least 1-2 more games like RoF from tri-Ace to salvage their reputation with gamers in general.

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
This is absolutely true. I think IU managed to single-handedly poison enough of the well this entire generation that it'll take at least 1-2 more games like RoF from tri-Ace to salvage their reputation with gamers in general.

STAR OCEAN, man
STAR OCEAN
:(

I beat this game earlier this week. I'm playing it again on new game+ with retained levels so I can try and catch stuff in the story that I'm sure I missed.

This game may be my favorite RPG this generation so far. I loved the music! Motoi Sakuraba is awesome as usual. This game is the first time I've ever heard from Kohei Tanaka though. I've since listend to some of his stuff from Gunbuster's (I think that was the name of the show) OST. The guy's pretty good. :)

This game proves to me that great music is a necessity for me when playing long games like this. I can't put up with games like Etrian Odyssey for long (I liked EO's arrange album, but didn't dig the in-game tunes too much) but with this game, I just feel my blood pumping when I took on the tough bosses during the final chapter. I just HAD to beat them. I got to the last boss with characters around level 59-65 I believe (they were all under 70). That last boss was kicking my backside though, so I had to pay a visit to Neverland and grind to level 90-100 with my char's and upgrade my weapons a bit and then revisit the final boss. He was not too hard after that.

Game was pretty good. I really liked it. It took me around 70 hours to finish this beast. I don't think I've ever taken this long with a game since Baten Kaitos Origins.

I wasn't originally planning to buy this game in March. I was going to wait for the Toys R Us sale later in the year, but hearing that Sega didn't ship that many copies got me worried and I picked up early instead. I'm glad I did too. I'm happy I didn't get to miss out on this title.

vocab

I know I bashed this game in the past for some design choices I'm not that found of, and I played the demo which didn't impress at all, but is the story actually worth a damn? Please someone who knows what good story telling is give me an honest answer. If your benchmark for good story, and good story telling is FFXIII, don't bother answering my request.

Also, someone tell me about the characters. Likable, interesting, any sense of humanity in them? If you like FFXIII characters, once again, don't bother.

Thanks for this odd request.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
ULTROS! said:
Hey... I really liked SO4. :mad:

2ahfbro.jpg

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
vocab said:
I know I bashed this game in the past for some design choices I'm not that found of, and I played the demo which didn't impress at all, but is the story actually worth a damn? Please someone who knows what good story telling is give me an honest answer. If your benchmark for good story, and good story telling is FFXIII, don't bother answering my request.

Also, someone tell me about the characters. Likable, interesting, any sense of humanity in them? If you like FFXIII characters, once again, don't bother.

I would say the story is "humanized", it feels natural for the characters and the world they live in. The story is presented in chapters, which each can take from 2 to 6 hrs depending of how much you enjoy the fighting. The main cutscenes are short, I believe there aren't more than 1 or 2 hrs of cutscenes in general, which is great. So far IMO the characters are really likable, Persona 3/4 likeable characters. They just feel right and their english voices are great. Also there will be hilarious chapters and others will be serious, and when it gets serious it touches some good subjects. In general I'm loving the story for what it is, is not your Oscar winning script, but is great and it doesn't put you in overly extensive non-story/character development cutscenes like other RPGs. Most of the comedy cutscenes help a lot to identify the characters more and that works great IMO. And most of the story is told during chats in battle while you are in story missions.

-DarKaoZ- said:
FUCK YES!

Spending 50 hrs in this game is enough to prove it!

EDIT: BTW this is what I do after the first Tri-Attack, hope this strategy helps some people:

RoFStrategy.png

Woah! That's cool! I've been wondering what to do after the initial double-Tri-Attack. This is awesome! I take it that the one taking two turns is the MG wielder?

I'm speculating, but is it better to have 2 MG guys, and 1 HG guy? Or keep doing 2 HG and 1 MG?

I'm on the last chapter of the game now. Let me axe you guys sumthin'.

Is the "key" to Neverland still happily idling somewhere in Basel, waiting to leap lovingly into Leanne's yummy raisins? A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.

duckroll

vocab said:
Please someone who knows what good story telling is give me an honest answer. If your benchmark for good story, and good story telling is FFXIII, don't bother answering my request.

I like the FFXIII characters. Therefore you should obviously not get this game.

*shakes head*

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Woah! That's cool! I've been wondering what to do after the initial double-Tri-Attack. This is awesome! I take it that the one taking two turns is the MG wielder?

I'm speculating, but is it better to have 2 MG guys, and 1 HG guy? Or keep doing 2 HG and 1 MG?

Not really, it all depends you can change the order to which character to move first just select them by pressing R1/L1 or RB/LB before decided which one to use first.

In my case I have 1st character with HG and Grenades, 2nd with MG and Bullet Box, 3rd with HG and MG. That way I have 2 characters with MG if I need them, if not I just use 2 HG and 1 MG to break the HP bar faster.

duckroll

Did you guys know that you can also change who acts second in the tri-attack by pressing triangle? I only found that out after about 50 hours in the game! :eek:l

vocab said:

The characters are better than XIII's IMO.

The story is better than XIII's but that isn't saying much either.

The storytelling is a bit different in that
the first few chapters start off as "slice of life" stories from the perspectives of the main character with the main plot initially running parallel to this. Eventually both stories join together.

The dialogue writing is great, especially in battle stuff, and the VA's are good. Some ham and cheese roles, but the characters who are that way were clearly done on purpose.

The ending
was weird and left lots of things unanswered. Kinda feels like they ran out of room for the real ending. Though there might be stuff explaining all that in the optional content.

Top Bottom