• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

SamuraiX-

A couple questions about inventory...

Is it worth shelling out money and synthesizing items to tinkerers for item synthesis or should I save everything I can because I'll find most of it later through rewards or off bosses?

duckroll

SamuraiX- said:
A couple questions about inventory...

Is it worth shelling out money and synthesizing items to tinkerers for item synthesis or should I save everything I can because I'll find most of it later through rewards or off bosses?

It doesn't matter what you find later through rewards or in chests. Even thought you can indeed get really good parts through rewards or chests, that's just 1 piece which can only be used on a single gun. The tinkerers in Ebel is how you will be doing most of your customization in the game. Ignoring it is a huge mistake.

oblo

So...

2ec_reanbell.jpg

...I made her my avatar. :D

SamuraiX-

duckroll said:
It doesn't matter what you find later through rewards or in chests. Even thought you can indeed get really good parts through rewards or chests, that's just 1 piece which can only be used on a single gun. The tinkerers in Ebel is how you will be doing most of your customization in the game. Ignoring it is a huge mistake.

Awesome. Good to know. Thanks a lot for letting me know about that! :D

oblo said:
So...

2ec_reanbell.jpg

...I made her my avatar. :D

Hawt! I haven't gotten to any good clothing choices yet. :(

dramatis

oblo said:
So...

http://imagehosting.jumbee.net/show/image/2ec_reanbell.jpg

...I made her my avatar. :D[/QUOTE]

Fabulous. Sunglasses are so awesome in this game.

I like dressing my characters in ways that compliment each other too, it becomes like equipment customization except superficially so :lol

duckroll said:
Holy crap, Neverland is HARD! :lol

Congrats on beating the game. And yes, Neverland is freaking hard. It's just palette swaps with higher stats, but if you don't have very very good damage reduction and high HP, the enemies will just 1-2 shot you and it's impossible to get anywhere.

I think the easiest first fight to 'get your foot in the door' is the
one vs 3 elephants and 1 tank.. once you jump the tank you can dance around the slow elephants and they can't hit you.. takes a while to kill them though
.. forgot which location it was.

Nose Master

I apologize if this has been answered but, does the pacing change? I feel like I have no idea what's going on, and I'm almost two hours in. It's just... sidequesty missions.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Nose Master said:
I apologize if this has been answered but, does the pacing change? I feel like I have no idea what's going on, and I'm almost two hours in. It's just... sidequesty missions.
the first half of the game is the day-to-day affairs of the crew. the game gives hints here and there of the big picture, and the NPCs sometimes give info on the world view... but the first half is mostly character interaction, and the weird situation their job get them into, plus you get to meet some of the eccentric Cardinals.

duckroll

Nose Master said:

The pacing doesn't change drastically, but the picture will become clearer, and things will start to make sense. The game isn't about saving the world, and it isn't about some epic story. It's character centric, and even after finishing the game, there are many questions left up to the player to speculate about. Replaying the game after finishing the game provides a more interesting perspective to certain story scenes as well, while many plot points can also be filled in if you talk to all the NPCs in every chapter, and pay attention to what some people say and how it connects to various other plot points.

Volcynika

Oh wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

I just finished the Chapter 6 boss by the skin of my teeth!

I'll spoil tag my luck and awesome.

Well I had Vashryon with ammo box + SMG, and then Zephyr with two HGs. I had Vashryon running around the wall baiting the boss around it, putting in some shots every now and then and then Zephyr removing the scratch damage. Whenever the thugs appeared, I'd take them out quickly. Unfortunately, enough stray shots over time and one attack destroyed the barrier, so I was a panicking a bit with how to strategize now.

Fortunately, I had removed a couple pieces of his armor and did some damage to his main life bar. I only had a few bezel shards left, so I had to be desparate! I ran Zephyr away from the boss and hit one of his parts that was almost down and got another shard. I then ran Vashryon past the boss twice and jumped above to deal what seemed like enough damage to beat him ine one hit, but I couldn't tell if there was any green left on the bar. Accidentally attacked the boss with Vashryon standing, and he was close with Vashryon almost being knocked into critical. I then had one bezel left, so I took a chance with Zephyr running, jumped above the boss and shot...and then I saw the new shard I got appear and was amazed and relieved.

I know not many people will read it, but wow! I was overjoyed to finish that battle and not have wasted the time I spent on the battle.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I'm doing Ch 14 Story Mission and damn, I can't kill the Guards in the 2nd Hex. :lol

Any tips for me in this case? This is my level setup:

Vashyron: *HG 26 + MG 26 + G9 = 61
Zephyr: HG25 + *MG28 + G10 = 63
Leanne: *HG26 + *MG26 + G12 = 64

* = Weapon in Use atm.

I haven't really bother in buying parts for Upgrade guns, I only use the things I have gotten for free and its been working fine for now, but it seems I might need to upgrade more uh?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I should be getting this from Gamefly tomorrow. Cannot wait. Just in time as well. FFXIII is starting to wear very thin on me.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
I should be getting this from Gamefly tomorrow. Cannot wait. Just in time as well. FFXIII is starting to wear very thin on me.

Dude, I had it sealed until yesterday, I said to myself "let me try FF13, it looks lonely in there all sealed". God... what was SE thinking with the Dialog?!

"I'm a Hero! We must save you!" and the way Vanilla runs... makes her look like she is faking it. :lol

I need to give it more time, but damn, after RoF, FF13 looks off, well dialog wise. I mean RoF is not great either, but the voice acting and the dialog itself feels "natural" on how its been used. Dunno, I know I will enjoy FF13 too, but damn, I didn't expect the game to be like this.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
-DarKaoZ- said:
Dude, I had it sealed until yesterday, I said to myself "let me try FF13, it looks lonely in there all sealed". God... what was SE thinking with the Dialog?!

"I'm a Hero! We must save you!" and the way Vanilla runs... makes her look like she is faking it. :lol

I need to give it more time, but damn, after RoF, FF13 looks off, well dialog wise. I mean RoF is not great either, but the voice acting and the dialog itself feels "natural" on how its been used. Dunno, I know I will enjoy FF13 too, but damn, I didn't expect the game to be like this.

Holy shit man this is exactly what both me and my girlfriend said when I first booted it up to play. Snow calms down with the hero business though and you don't really see Vanille run anymore after that. Even still, the game is just kinda.... dull. All I have done, ALL I have done, is run down some straight hallway, fight some battles and watch a cutscene. RoF just looks so much more interesting.

Error

best tri-Ace story, and worldview... even better than VP1, because imo that borrowed a lot from an existing source.

also is it just me? or the cutscenes are actually pretty good? sure the animation ain't FF13 levels, but the overall direction and dialogue is REALLY good. The scene in chapter 10 at
crank seminary
was pretty awesome, and the delivery spot on specially Vashyron.

Vashyron is tri-Ace best character since Lenneth.

Must say it's a bit weird to see people pointing real-life guns at each other in a jrpg.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Holy shit man this is exactly what both me and my girlfriend said when I first booted it up to play. Snow calms down with the hero business though and you don't really see Vanille run anymore after that. Even still, the game is just kinda.... dull. All I have done, ALL I have done, is run down some straight hallway, fight some battles and watch a cutscene. RoF just looks so much more interesting.

You will enjoy the difference, I mean RoF does run down into some repetitions, but dunno the characters, the world and the gameplay makes the repetition run. The story as duckroll said, its different in a way that its more like watching a sitcom and enjoying the everyday life of a group of Bounty Hunters who do odd jobs. Yet there is a story behind that its getting there slowly and you will learn about the characters past, which adds more to the characters. In the end its a really intriguing new way to deal with JRPG story, you don't feel like a "HERO" from the start or during most of the story, but that is refreshing. :D

Error said:
best tri-Ace story, and worldview... even better than VP1, because imo that borrowed a lot from an existing source.

also is it just me? or the cutscenes are actually pretty good? sure the animation ain't FF13 levels, but the overall direction and dialogue is REALLY good. The scene in chapter 10 at
crank seminary
was pretty awesome, and the delivery spot on specially Vashyron.

Vashyron is tri-Ace best character since Lenneth.

Indeed, the world and the story are just great and refreshing. The cutscenes dialog and direction/pacing are great IMO too, animation they could do better but man I still enjoy them.

And about Vashyron been a great character, you must give proper credit to Nolan North for that, his voice acting made Vashyron way more appealing that what I heard he was in the Japanese ver.

-DarKaoZ- said:
I'm doing Ch 14 Story Mission and damn, I can't kill the Guards in the 2nd Hex. :lol

Any tips for me in this case? This is my level setup:

Vashyron: *HG 26 + MG 26 + G9 = 61
Zephyr: HG25 + *MG28 + G10 = 63
Leanne: *HG26 + *MG26 + G12 = 64

* = Weapon in Use atm.

I haven't really bother in buying parts for Upgrade guns, I only use the things I have gotten for free and its been working fine for now, but it seems I might need to upgrade more uh?
Honestly, you should have let at least one character specialize with MG and one with HG. With those stats end game stuff is going to be pretty challenging regardless of upgrading gun parts.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Schopenhauer said:
Honestly, you should have let at least one character specialize with MG and one with HG. With those stats end game stuff is going to be pretty challenging regardless of upgrading gun parts.

Oops... I think I should had done that... what level of HG and MG do you recommend?

duckroll

Schopenhauer said:

I dunno, it's not that bad. Up until chapter 15, I had my guys all really even. About 30+30+20 on everyone. It worked fine. I only started specializing in the last two chapters, and by the time I fought the final boss Leanne was over lvl100, with SMGs close to 50, and Zephyr had his HG lvl at about 45. No problems at all. Customization is everything imo, while weapon levels and total level aids in how you apply strategy in combat. The actual stats are all in the weapon itself, not on characters or their levels.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Oops... I think I should had done that... what level of HG and MG do you recommend?
Your levels are about right, but you need a least one character with a MG stat that is around 75% of your total level for the damage multiplier and a higher chance of activating skills.

duckroll said:
I dunno, it's not that bad. Up until chapter 15, I had my guys all really even. About 30+30+20 on everyone. It worked fine. I only started specializing in the last two chapters, and by the time I fought the final boss Leanne was over lvl100, with SMGs close to 50, and Zephyr had his HG lvl at about 45. No problems at all. Customization is everything imo, while weapon levels and total level aids in how you apply strategy in combat. The actual stats are all in the weapon itself, not on characters or their levels.
I guess I played a bit differently from you then. I didn't even hit 80 till the end of the final dungeon. I was referring more to the damage multipliers and skill activation when I mentioned stats, since that relates directly to the characters level with specific weapons.

duckroll

For what it's worth, I'm on NG+ now (normal again), and I've cleared the West Park and Central Park battles in Neverland (the bonus dungeon). Leanne is about lvl110 now, and Zephyr is about lvl108, and Vashyron is lvl90.

Leanne's using dual SMGs with charge at about 140, and charge acceleration at about 32%, her SMG level is over 50. Zephyr is using dual HGs with similar stats, maybe a little bit lower, his HG level is either 50 or almost 50. The bonus dungeon is hard, but totally doable with a bit of planning. The final boss was really fun, and challenging, but wasn't a problem at all.

So yeah, even without dedicating 75% of the total level to SMGs, it's totally doable.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Einbroch said:
Has the price dropped on this puppy yet?

You all are making this way too hard to resist.

BUY IT NEW! :mad:
EDIT: FULL PRIZE! :mad:

duckroll said:

Hmmm... I think I should try to specialize them in that, maybe using 2 HG and 2MG during Arena will make them level up faster?
I haven't really done Arena after Rank 2.

Schopenhauer said:
Your levels are about right, but you need a least one character with a MG stat that is around 75% of your total level for the damage multiplier and a higher chance of activating skills.

Well I do get FULL SCRATCH Skill often with both Leanne and Zephyr, that is how I have managed to kill the bosses so far.

duckroll

-DarKaoZ- said:
Hmmm... I think I should try to specialize them in that, maybe using 2 HG and 2MG during Arena will make them level up faster?
I haven't really done Arena after Rank 2.

The fastest way to level up is to equip an exp trainer accessory, link the 1.5x exp terminal and the 2x all terminal effects terminal on lvl6 all the way to the arena, and fight enemies with tons of HP, using dual SMGs and dual HGs.

But you don't really have to use the arena to grind at all. I didn't. You just need to make sure that for the last 2-3 chapters (14 onwards) you keep dual SMGs on one character, and dual HGs on one character, and fight all the dungeons, quests, bosses with that set up, and then do all the danger zones left throughout all the levels of Basel.

If you do that with a dedicated team with fixed weapons, you'll be more than prepared for the final dungeon, assuming you customize your weapons well to keep the stats high to maximize the benefits of the levels gained.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Well I do get FULL SCRATCH Skill often with both Leanne and Zephyr, that is how I have managed to kill the bosses so far.
Part of the problem is that the full scratch damage skill doesn't work on the endgame bosses main body. So you need to have a decent damage modifier for your MG.

duckroll

Schopenhauer said:
Part of the problem is that the full scratch damage skill doesn't work on the endgame bosses main body. So you need to have a decent damage modifier for your MG.

Full Scratch might not work on the main body, but Stun and Gauge Break still do. Bosses can't do much when they can't act, and when you're regaining 2-3 bezels every 2 turns. :D

Waikis

D: I just played this game for 9 hours straight. This game is surprisingly good and addictive. If there is a sequel (lol) , I hope they will put in unique skills for each weapon types and assign special animations to it .... kinda like Front Mission 3.

duckroll said:
Full Scratch might not work on the main body, but Stun and Gauge Break still do. Bosses can't do much when they can't act, and when you're regaining 2-3 bezels every 2 turns. :D
Yeah, that ended up trivializing more than a few of the endgame battles. It was kind of disappointing that the boss fights were easier then the rooms with a large number of enemies since you could keep the bosses stunned almost indefinitely.

duckroll

Waikis said:
D: I just played this game for 9 hours straight. This game is surprisingly good and addictive. If there is a sequel (lol) , I hope they will put in unique skills for each weapon types and assign special animations to it .... kinda like Front Mission 3.

I don't think it's out of the question for there to be a sequel in a few years. It sold over 200k in Japan, and the word of mouth in Japan is VERY strong. As far as unique skills go, I would honestly prefer if they keep the current battle system as it is, but instead allow the player to customize skills into "slots".

For example, I think it would be neat if you learned tons of different skills as you level up, but you have fixed slots at # of charges. So you can for equip different skills at "5x charge" or "10x charge" etc. But I wouldn't want to make the actual battles more complicated than they are in execution because it's very fast and fun as it is.

Schopenhauer said:
Yeah, that ended up trivializing more than a few of the endgame battles. It was kind of disappointing that the boss fights were easier then the rooms with a large number of enemies since you could keep the bosses stunned almost indefinitely.

Well, the final boss was certainly harder than the normal mobs, for several reasons. Don't really want to spoil it for those who haven't beaten the game though. As far as real challenge goes, I think Neverland is really well tuned to challenge players who have "mastered" the normal parts of the game entirely. :)

Error

You were right about what we were discussing earlier, the boss in forest of idols drops the only Scrapped GunB alpha in the game, don't even know how I got them :eek:

duckroll said:
Well, the final boss was certainly harder than the normal mobs, for several reasons. Don't really want to spoil it for those who haven't beaten the game though. As far as real challenge goes, I think Neverland is really well tuned to challenge players who have "mastered" the normal parts of the game entirely. :)
True, my post was in reference to Neverland's combat rooms and boss battles but also included the last 5 ranks of arena battles as well.

On one hand I sort of wish they had added some kind of chance for the end game bosses to resist stun or at least not have the charge gauge reset. On the other I realize I wouldn't have stood a chance against Neverland's final encounter if that was the case.

Fongul

Einbroch said:
Has the price dropped on this puppy yet?

You all are making this way too hard to resist.

The game will be on sale at Kmart starting next Sunday (4/11) for $37.99. In the Kmart clearance thread on CAG, the nationwide buyer of games for Kmart has been posting on a regular basis. He wanted to experiment putting a few other games on sale & advertise it solely on CAG. The price is too good to keep it locked down just in that thread. I know I'm waiting for the sale myself ($22 off is enough of a carrot for me to wait)

Nose Master

I guess there's a reason I hadn't heard of this game... it's pretty awful :lol :lol :lol Only saving grace is the battle system, but everything else about the game is absolutely lazy. About as bad as IU and SO4. Worse, probably. It'll be $20 in about 2 months.

It's a decent game. The repetitive content (3-4x of the same battle in a row often) and time wasting map/elevator travel can be irritating, but the combat system is still good. I just wish the developers did more with it, because once you figure out the combat basics, almost every fight plays out the same way. And of course like every RPG you can grind/exploit/retry spam any difficulty away.. the combat system is easy to break with a few hours of grinding in the arena.

It's no secret that this game will be in bargain bins like every other low profile RPG/SRPG. That's not a knock against it. I've seen SRPGs I really loved sadly in the bins.

lljride

Just started playing this over the weekend. I'm about 6 hours in, still in Ch 2 (I've been *ing the Arena ranks available so far). Some of the presentation elements were pretty jarring coming straight off FFXIII (even the text in the menus was weird at first), but I'm over that part now.

I'm still not completely hooked yet, but there's something compelling me to keep playing which is good. I'm not convinced that I understand the battle system yet either, but I'm getting a little more comfortable.

desverger

Noob question time: (I'm just starting chapter 3).

So, character level = combined level of their weapon levels, right? I haven't swapped weapons around a lot, but should I do that to get more levels?

From reading this thread I've gathered that it doesn't really matter who uses which weapon (there aren't any character specific skills or anything like that), and that I should specialize more into certain weapons.

In regard of this, is the 1 MG and 2 HG ratio decent? I'd rather swap them around (2 MG and 1 HG), my handguns do pitiful damage at this point of the game and I always need Zephyr to put some heavy scratch damage before I can actually kill anything.

oblo

Yes, switching weapons around is the best way to level quickly, as for your ratio question, me personally I usually prefer two MG's and one dual HG, but you'll have to wait a few chapters before you can start doing that.

desverger

oblo said:
Yes, switching weapons around is the best way to level quickly, as for your ratio question, me personally I usually prefer two MG's and one dual HG, but you'll have to wait a few chapters before you can start doing that.

Ok, good to know. Guess I could at least swap Zep's and Leanne's weapons around.

Also, how do I get more bezel shards? I've gotten half a bezel already into my hero gauge but I've no idea where I got them :lol

Btw, nice avatar :p

Ricker

Okay now that i`m done with the main game in FFXIII,time to devote most of my time in this one...Chapter 4 is kicking my ass so far,time to concentrate lol...

And yeah Oblo,nice screenshot there.

chris-013

desverger said:
Ok, good to know. Guess I could at least swap Zep's and Leanne's weapons around.

Also, how do I get more bezel shards? I've gotten half a bezel already into my hero gauge but I've no idea where I got them :lol

Btw, nice avatar :p

I think you obtain part of a new bezel when you complete the red circle encounters on the world map.

desverger

Ricker said:
Okay now that i`m done with the main game in FFXIII,time to devote most of my time in this one...Chapter 4 is kicking my ass so far,time to concentrate lol...

Same here! Just finished FFXIII main game yesterday.

Top Bottom