• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

SamuraiX-

Snuggler said:
I didn't know there was a tutorial. I visited the arena but they said they weren't ready for me so I thought I didn't need to be there.
Will check out.

Those are the guys behind the first counter. There is an adjacent counter to your left with someone else who will guide you through the basics.

Jay Sosa

The dungeons in this game are basically a big battlefield, with some rooms having enemies in them. There's no transition to a battlescreen unless you're exploring the outer regions of the Basel map, in which there are random encounters.

4qn8r9.jpg

roxya

I'm really put off from all the wacky shooting guns while doing somersaults and shit. Should I buy it anyway? As a VP1 and 2 lover.

squall211

I'm enjoying what I've played so far, although after about 10 hours I think I'm just now starting to grasp the combat system a little better.

I'm only in chapter three, but I've finished the first 5 ranks in the arena. Speaking of which, at what rank do you start earning silver and gold coins?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I shouldn't have left the arena stuff until so late into the game, it's boring to do all these boring ranks :(

It's funny seeing the positive reactions now, I remember the game getting shat on in the demo thread. with people saying it looked like a bargain bin game, and another pimping Tales of Graces (with its game breaking bugs) and FFXIII. :lol

Vlodril

Cant believe i like this game alot more than FF13. I am not sure if thats because this game is really good (which it is) or its the fact the FF13 sucks but there you go. Need to do more Arena's though. IS there somewhere where the whole colored tiles and stations are explained (like what each color gives as a bonus and how to connect multiple levels)?

desverger

Vlodril said:
Cant believe i like this game alot more than FF13. I am not sure if thats because this game is really good (which it is) or its the fact the FF13 sucks but there you go. Need to do more Arena's though. IS there somewhere where the whole colored tiles and stations are explained (like what each color gives as a bonus and how to connect multiple levels)?

Well, the bonuses are tied to the stations, so you just need to connect the proper station to the proper dungeon or the arena. And you can link through the elevators.

I think the colors matter only if you're combining multiple stations with the same color, but otherwise I'm not that far in the game to explain this fully :p

duckroll

Error said:
It's funny seeing the positive reactions now, I remember the game getting shat on in the demo thread. with people saying it looked like a bargain bin game

People are still saying this though! :lol

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Beat the ch.4 part. I retried a few times though because I was afraid the game might crash again if I let the boss attack once. So I made sure to kill him before he could :lol

Speaking of glitching, one glitch that I am constantly experiencing is the audio dropping out randomly for a second every 10-15 mins. It only happens during battle when I'm doing a hero action and firing the sound will just DROP OUT for 1-2 seconds. It's semi-rare, but it happens enough that's it's kind of annoying. No other game gives me dropouts, and RoF doesn't have any drop outs during non-battle segments. I'm playing it on PS3 using optical audio out.

This happen to anyone else?

Yes, the audio glitch happens to me too, but not that frequently. Sometimes sound fx completely drops out for a second or two in battles, but the music doesn't. It's very obvious especially when a ton of bullets are hitting the enemy and you don't actually hear the usual CRUSHING sound. :lol

Volcynika said:
Does the final boss have a badass battle theme? I must know.

The final boss theme was good, but not great imo. Sakuraba's style definitely fits the game's theme well, but he's still a rather lazy composer in terms of bringing his A game imo. The bonus dungeon music is really, really good though.

zurra

duckroll, if you have the soundtrack, do you know which song is the bonus dungeon music? i think it's going to be quite a while before i get there... having too much fun NOT making any progress. :D

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I had dreams all night about this game last night... mainly that I was charging, charging, charging, waiting for that perfect moment where I'm maxed out and almost out of time to pull the trigger. Over, and over, and over, and over again.

Go buy that accessory that uses up all your charged shots, it makes it so much easier. All my chars have it on at all times, so really I only use 1 accessory.

duckroll

zurra said:
duckroll, if you have the soundtrack, do you know which song is the bonus dungeon music? i think it's going to be quite a while before i get there... having too much fun NOT making any progress. :D

Last two tracks on the final disc.

BluWacky

duckroll said:
The final boss theme was good, but not great imo. Sakuraba's style definitely fits the game's theme well, but he's still a rather lazy composer in terms of bringing his A game imo. The bonus dungeon music is really, really good though.

My favourite piece of music so far is the music that plays when you're in the Guild office. It doesn't sound like Sakuraba - is it a Tanaka piece?

Got the game just before Easter (£10 off at Zavvi three days after release!). Haven't played that much of it - it's a lot of fun (even if I spend a LOT of money retrying boss battles so I never go into Critical Condition...) but it's very easy to play little bits of rather than having the "just one more hour" impetus of FFXIII. Not a bad thing, just doesn't mean I feel the need to play it for huge stretches of time.

zurra

ohh thanks. very nice. the soundtrack style's nothing mindblowing, but there's a lot of interesting variety present here. really loving the themes for the different areas. i'm curious about how some of the themes, especially Square Garden, are going to work in practice.

duckroll

BluWacky said:
My favourite piece of music so far is the music that plays when you're in the Guild office. It doesn't sound like Sakuraba - is it a Tanaka piece?

Got the game just before Easter (£10 off at Zavvi three days after release!). Haven't played that much of it - it's a lot of fun (even if I spend a LOT of money retrying boss battles so I never go into Critical Condition...) but it's very easy to play little bits of rather than having the "just one more hour" impetus of FFXIII. Not a bad thing, just doesn't mean I feel the need to play it for huge stretches of time.

Sakuraba composes all the battle and dungeon tracks, the first pre-title cutscene track (Fighting with the devil), and the second credits track. Tanaka composes all the rest - cutscenes, towns, world map, shops, etc.

Bebpo

Banned
Error said:
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I shouldn't have left the arena stuff until so late into the game, it's boring to do all these boring ranks :(

It's funny seeing the positive reactions now, I remember the game getting shat on in the demo thread. with people saying it looked like a bargain bin game, and another pimping Tales of Graces (with its game breaking bugs) and FFXIII. :lol

Graces is still a really good rpg and one of the best Tales, RoF being great doesn't change that. The "bugs" are all new game+ stuff. If you just play the game once like most people, you won't hit any bugs. Plus they fixed those new game+ bugs and re-issued the disc.

Yazus

Speaking of music, does this game have Mission to the Deep space?

It's been two games that doesn't feature it, I'm really wanting a rearrange of that!:D

duckroll

Yazus said:
Speaking of music, does this game have Mission to the Deep space?

It's been two games that doesn't feature it, I'm really wanting a rearrange of that!:D

No. After tri-Ace was sued for commercial fraud after repeatedly selling the lie to gamers that they would be going into deep space, they no longer use that track.

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Lololol Shit Ocean.

Volcynika

duckroll said:
No. After tri-Ace was sued for commercial fraud after repeatedly selling the lie to gamers that they would be going into deep space, they longer long used that track.

:lol

Volcynika

How many chapters are in the game again? (You can spoil tag it I guess for the people that don't want to know)

I think this game will take me quite a while to finish, I'm about to finish Chapter 6 after one more sidequest + maybe some arena stuff, and I'm already at 25 hours :lol

duckroll

Volcynika said:
How many chapters are in the game again? (You can spoil tag it I guess for the people that don't want to know)

I think this game will take me quite a while to finish, I'm about to finish Chapter 6 after one more sidequest + maybe some arena stuff, and I'm already at 25 hours :lol

It's not really a spoiler. There are 16 chapters in total. It's a long game, but mostly because it's really addictive and the optional content is very compelling.

Volcynika

duckroll said:
It's not really a spoiler. There are 16 chapters in total. It's a long game, but mostly because it's really addictive and the optional content is very compelling.

Didn't you say you had around 64 1/2 hours or so when you beat it? How much of the extra content did you get through after that run?

duckroll

Volcynika said:
Didn't you say you had around 64 1/2 hours or so when you beat it? How much of the extra content did you get through after that run?

I beat the game with everything completed (all quests, all danger zones, powered all of Basel, etc) except the bonus dungeon and the arena battles. I'm doing a Normal NG+ now, up to chapter 7, and I've gotten about 1/3 through the bonus dungeon. ~72 hours now I think.

Yazus

duckroll said:
No. After tri-Ace was sued for commercial fraud after repeatedly selling the lie to gamers that they would be going into deep space, they no longer use that track.

But.. but.. but... that is my favourite music :(

Anyways, I'm getting this game since its does seem to really fun !

duckroll

Has anyone gotten the Material Creator achievement/trophy? Do you literally have to sit there and scrap/tinkle 1 item, exit, talk to him again, repeat over and over until you get it? I haven't really been counting how many times I've been using them, but still not having the trophy is starting to bother me! :lol

duckroll said:
Has anyone gotten the Material Creator achievement/trophy? Do you literally have to sit there and scrap/tinkle 1 item, exit, talk to him again, repeat over and over until you get it? I haven't really been counting how many times I've been using them, but still not having the trophy is starting to bother me! :lol
I don't think so. I did end up making a crap load of molotov cocktails and metal coated bullets though.

Maybe the counter was reset when you began a new game +.

edit: Looking through my achievement list, I didn't get it till right before finishing chapter 15, so it took awhile.

Defuser

duckroll said:

Just start doing the beta scopes trick and continue making grenades.I got it a few chapters back before chapter 16

duckroll

Okay, the only trophies left I need are:

- Use 1000 throw weapons
- Kill 30 enemies barehanded
- Beat Neverland
- Beat 2nd playthrough
- Beat all arena battles
- Star rank all arena battles

I reckon I can achieve all that in under 10 hours. I'm almost done with Neverland anyway, the golden weapons are insane. :lol

Edit: Eagle Eye is also pretty insane. :lol

Volcynika

I didn't get a lot of progress done yesterday, unfortunately! Got back from work late, leveled up Leanne a good bit with some molotovs I threw together, but when I went to the arena (keep in mind that in earlier chapters, you only unlocked a 2-3 ranks max per chapter and the previous chapter only had up to rank 11), it was unlocked all the way up to like rank 23 :lol. Maxed rank 12 and did one or two of 13 and was done for the night.

Probably should move forward chapter wise to see if I can get some new parts for my weapons.

orion434

When do you start getting new weapons? I'm about 1/2 way through with Chapter 5 and I still only have the initial 3 + the 1 for 100K in the shop. I love upgrading and my weapons have a ton of parts attached to them. Where is a good place to farm Glass Shards?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is getting ridiculous... my post which indicated that I had bought this game:

Yoshichan said:
Bought!!!!!

One weeks shipping :(
was posted 03-29-2010... it's now 04-07-2010 :(!

Awesome game. Finally managed to beat the Chapter 4 dungeon...is there a trick to the Omega Doll battle there? Why the hell was there even a boss after that battle?

orion434

Flachmatuch said:
Awesome game. Finally managed to beat the Chapter 4 dungeon...is there a trick to the Omega Doll battle there? Why the hell was there even a boss after that battle?

Yeah those Omega Dolls were tougher than the Boss, and I barely made it with that statue having just a sliver of HP left.

Dizzle24

I picked this up on Monday and f'in love it. I have been an RPG hater for my entire life. I hated all RPG's as a whole and thought they were a waste of time, since I like my action games over everything.

I watched some game play videos and was intrigued by the gun battles and simple party system. After playing for about 3 hours and finally understanding what the fuck was going on with the battle system, I was hooked!

But, don't get me wrong, I will never play any Final Fantasy game or other RPG with magic spells and shit, but this game is awesome. The only RPG I have ever played, aside from Folklore, which really isn't that much of an RPG. Well, I guess I'm not into "typical RPGs"

I get a "Folklore" kind of vibe from it. Like it's a cool game that not everyone will play or even hear about, but it's so awesome.

Hand Guns are much more useful than I thought they would be, even without scratch damage.

Their ability to gauge break with high interrupt procs make them incredible weapons at close range.

Gauge breaking makes it so easy to restore lost bezels. A good strategy is to use HG to gauge break, then use MG to scratch, and then use HG again to convert. Massive damage, plus more bezels restored!

desverger

Allright, another noob question time! I'm at ch4 and I still don't understand half of the terms the game uses.

Sometimes when I shoot an enemy with a high bullet count a yellow circle begins to fill around their target reticule. What's this? When it fills, I literally shoot an enemy into the orbit which looks completely hilarious, but why would I want to do that? :p

Also, sometimes when this yellow circle appears, there's the option to keep it or cancel it. What's this?

I figured out how to shoot enemies in the air, and then jump during a hero action to do a Smackdown, but what's the benefit of this? Sometimes gold coins appear, is this just to make more money?

Gauge break - Ok, the enemy's HP gauge breaks, but is this essentially a stun and a 50% cut to the maximum hitpoints of the enemy?

desverger said:
Allright, another noob question time! I'm at ch4 and I still don't understand half of the terms the game uses.

Sometimes when I shoot an enemy with a high bullet count a yellow circle begins to fill around their target reticule. What's this? When it fills, I literally shoot an enemy into the orbit which looks completely hilarious, but why would I want to do that? :p

That is a bonus hit. You have to make the cursor stop on the yellow circle. Basically the charge gauge can fill up far beyond your current level with that weapon and skills that you don't actually have access to can be triggered during a bonus hit. You also get silver and gold chips.

desverger said:
Also, sometimes when this yellow circle appears, there's the option to keep it or cancel it. What's this?
You can preserve the yellow ring if you cancel or something like that?

desverger said:
I figured out how to shoot enemies in the air, and then jump during a hero action to do a Smackdown, but what's the benefit of this? Sometimes gold coins appear, is this just to make more money?
If you pay close attention you will notice that the enemy receives extra damage when it bounces off the ground. You can do this repeatedly with lighter enemies.

desverger said:
Gauge break - Ok, the enemy's HP gauge breaks, but is this essentially a stun and a 50% cut to the maximum hitpoints of the enemy?
That seems about right. You can break an enemies gauge multiple times, but most don't seem to be able to be broken more than five times (some can be broken more though). Whenever you reduce the parts hp to below where the gauge break line is you receive a hero action point (bezel or whatever they are called).

desverger

Thanks for the answers! For such a deep battle system the game explains very little :p

According the almost-useless manual, the Gauge Break only awards you with a hero point if you reduce the enemy's hp below the mark. The stun happens immediately, I suppose.

Guess I'll have to keep playing.. :lol

Top Bottom