• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Volcynika

Any tips for the danger zone on the same level as the Waterless Bridge with the
return of Chapter 6 boss......well three of them?
Yeesh!

Just got to Chapter 7 and used the codes to unlock the special T-shirts.

Not gonna wear product placement shirts... seems cheap. But at least the 8-bit Girl shirt is kinda cute.

Oh yeah, was fooling around with the costumes:

rof_l1.jpg

The closest you will ever come to putting L from Death Note into Resonance of Fate.

rof_l2.jpg

Kira... I WILL capture you!

It kinda works because Zephyr's run is kinda wacky, like what you'd expect from L. Seeing him go all John Woo is pretty cool. :)

Bebpo

Banned
I dunno, I think the product placement can lead to funny situations. It's fun watching the team of famitsu staffers run around and shoot giant robots.

Ricker said:
still,when someone says make sure you shoot body parts,i`m not quite sure what they mean by that...I only have one circled aim target on the dolls,how am I suppose to aim on the legs?,most of the time if you circle them to hit their backs let`s say,they circle with you so they face you...
Just leave the enemy that drops the part you want till last and then destroy the body parts one at a time.

The concentric rings around the enemies bodies represent their parts. It is not so much aiming at the legs as it is aiming at the ring that represents the legs.

duckroll

A friend of mine just discovered something AMAZING! :lol

For those of you playing on a PS3. Set the system language to Japanese, and start the game up. The entire game is in Japanese, including the original names (Reanbell), and you still have dual language audio options. OMG! :lol

oblo

That's pretty cool, not that I'll ever try it, but still...

Started the last chapter yesterday, I actually don't want it to end yet.

demonkaze

Just finished this yesterday, I'm glad the last boss lived up to the difficulty of the rest of the game (Lv's 73, 70, 72) so it was satisfying when I beat it.

I enjoyed the story but damn if I have any idea what went on, I have a vague idea but pretty much the majority of it was a big question mark. I would love to see them expand on this game for sure.

zlatko

Banned
demonkaze said:
Just finished this yesterday, I'm glad the last boss lived up to the difficulty of the rest of the game (Lv's 73, 70, 72) so it was satisfying when I beat it.

I enjoyed the story but damn if I have any idea what went on, I have a vague idea but pretty much the majority of it was a big question mark. I would love to see them expand on this game for sure.

I think my thoughts exactly. I loved how the story was paced and put together. I also really enjoyed the dialogue in the game. It was like every chapter was the next episode of something like an anime series. It really resembles something like Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star to me. I'm always big on games that have some sort of philosophy and God talk behind it.(Probably why Shin Megami games are so awesome in my book) I think I just would have liked more clear cut explaining of key elements.

Overall this game is worth just about all JRPG fans' time. Plus the final boss was level 194 if I remember right and most of my party being level 83ish. I beat him on my third restart, so it was great to see a final boss that needed some strategy behind it, rather than a lot of grinding.

tri-ace = fully redeemed and I eagerly await their next project/s.

chris-013

Damn I didn't complete the quest with the puppet at chapter 1...
I have 5-6 puppets in my inventory and now I can't trade them, right ?

Einbroch

Banned
How much customization is in this game in terms of skills/equipment/stats? Obviously you can change clothes but what about character development?

radiantdreamer said:
Just got to Chapter 7 and used the codes to unlock the special T-shirts.

Not gonna wear product placement shirts... seems cheap. But at least the 8-bit Girl shirt is kinda cute.

Oh yeah, was fooling around with the costumes:

The closest you will ever come to putting L from Death Note into Resonance of Fate.

Kira... I WILL capture you!

It kinda works because Zephyr's run is kinda wacky, like what you'd expect from L. Seeing him go all John Woo is pretty cool. :)

I thought the exact same thing when you posted this pic! Pretty damn close to looking like Kira. Awesome! I will get this game soon. :D .... :(

duckroll said:

For those of you playing on a PS3. Set the system language to Japanese, and start the game up. The entire game is in Japanese, including the original names (Reanbell), and you still have dual language audio options. OMG! :lol
Are you fucking serious!?!? That's a nice easter egg. DAMN I WANT THIS GAME MOAR!

Replicant

duckroll said:
It's like Valkyria, you can't change the voice track in-game, it has to be changed at the main menu and you have to start a new game for it to take effect.

It works with continues (or load games) as well (I'm playing the PS3 version). For example, I've been using English voice for Chapter 5 (wanted to hear Nolan North's raisins dialogue). But I saved the game at the end of Chapter 5 and quit to main menu. After I changed the language to Japanese in the menu, I just load my save and it'll start playing in Japanese for Chapter 6. It doesn't matter whether you're in the midst of a chapter or if you have completed it either.

And oh, I was amused to know that I auto-completed some of my missions without realizing it. I got all of the mannequin bodyparts without even realizing and when I went to get a brief for the mission, voila, I already have everything. Ditto with the medal and many others. I guess I was over-eager to jump into every single danger zone and leveling up that I didn't realize I automatically completed some of the sub-missions.

duckroll said:

Just tried it out and that is also the case for the 360 version.

duckroll

Replicant said:
It works with continues (or load games) as well (I'm playing the PS3 version). For example, I've been using English voice for Chapter 5 (wanted to hear Nolan North's raisins dialogue). But I saved the game at the end of Chapter 5 and quit to main menu. After I changed the language to Japanese in the menu, I just load my save and it'll start playing in Japanese for Chapter 6. It doesn't matter whether you're in the midst of a chapter or if you have completed it either.

That doesn't make any sense. I changed the language to Japanese. I watched the opening in Japanese. Then I loaded my clear save to start a NG+, and the game was still in English!

Replicant

duckroll said:
That doesn't make any sense. I changed the language to Japanese. I watched the opening in Japanese. Then I loaded my clear save to start a NG+, and the game was still in English!

Weird. I swear to God, I've done this many times (switching from Japanese to English back to Japanese). And all I did was save the game first, then quit (you have to use XMB to quit since there's no option to do so within the game - so yeah, you have to restart the game). When the game restart, just go to option, change the language to Japanese and voila, it's Japanese.

My set up is as follows:

PS3: 40GB Metal Gear Solid 4 SE (so it's Japanese)
Disc: Australia (or Europe, I guess).

I started the game playing in Japanese track though so maybe that's the key? I don't know.

And oh, IIRC, the cut scenes that alternate with the menu basically turns into English or Japanese depending on your language option in the menu.

duckroll

Replicant said:
Weird. I swear to God, I've done this many times (switching from Japanese to English back to Japanese). And all I did was save the game first, then quit (you have to use XMB to quit since there's no option to do so within the game - so yeah, you have to restart the game). When the game restart, just go to option, change the language to Japanese and voila, it's Japanese.

My set up is as follows:

PS3: 40GB Metal Gear Solid 4 SE (so it's Japanese)
Disc: Australia (or Europe, I guess).

I started the game playing in Japanese track though so maybe that's the key? I don't know.

And oh, IIRC, the cut scenes that alternate with the menu basically turns into English or Japanese depending on your language option in the menu.

I will give it another try later.

Volcynika

Ugh, Chapter 14's story mission has some rough enemies!

Might need to rework some new parts on my weapons, but I get confused a lot when I do that :lol

Volcynika

Another update since I've made a lot of progress this weekend! :D

Levels: (Minus the weapon levels, but Vash is my SMG man)

Vashyron 75
Zephyr 68
Leanne 66

Chapter 14 50hrs 45min / all sidequests done as far as I can go, with arena ranks 1-23 maxed, and gone as far as rank 36 (30-3 and 35-3 were easy peasy, 25-3 was a pain in the ass though).

I enjoyed the quest earlier where I just had to complete a floor of hexes :lol I had done it earlier so I talked to the client right after and he's like "Wow, you work fast" :lol

I need to tackle the main dungeon of 14 though, maybe get some of those hexes duckroll mentioned.

When am I able to access the secret dungeon anyways (I know I'd get a beat-down, I'm just curious)? I see where it is and all, but I have no idea when they'd give you access to it.

Also, I got Resonance Miser today! That was kind of annoying.

Ricker

Chapter 5 is hard...my guys are around level 22,I got the Basilica delivery quest but I can`t get there yet,I have the third statue to take a picture of but I have no clues on where it is and the main quest is really hard with all the freezing going on...I finally managed to beat the mechanical thing with the Shop sign on it,barely,so I have to gring for now.

Also why do I have random hex fights now where the ennemy is really hard to beat(there`s like 6 of them)? I had to hex escape to Ebel and barely made it last time hehe, because I didn`t want to lose the level ups I had from the previous fight....

orion434

RoodyPooUS said:
If you really want to powerlevel your chars, wait until you unlock 20-3. Then link the 2x effect and 1.5x xp terminals to the arena using either the straight line colors or the green ones. You need about 80 of them. YOu might need to put a station up to get started.

I farmed the straight line ones on the roads by the forest. There is a rare item and item multiplier right by there and it only takes 15 or so of almost any color to link to those roads right by the forest. You also get mimics there which you should kill the shields for chance for the rare metal shard, which are very useful I heard for the scopes and the physical resist rings.

Once you get to 20-3, there is a gold slime. Kill the other two slimes and then with the person you want to level (wearing EXP trainer from the doll quests, auto trigger and the station bonuses) have them charge up to about 20-25x or so. It should take off 60-70% of the slimes HP. By the time you charge again, it should be full health. If it isn't, then just take off some gun mods. Just make sure the slime is targeting someone other than your dual MG user and stand right next to the slime. Skip everyone else's turn. It should take about 1-2hr at most to level from 20s on MG, to 100. Took me about 70 mins or so.

Do this with all 3 chars and you are now probably set until you need to prep for Neverland.

If you still want to level, do not kill the slime, just exit the arena and do it again. Once you kill the slime, it won't show up again since it will be 20-4.

I just did this last night while watching some TV, looking forward to being much more powerful now. Going to farm Arena 31 and 37, 38? For the rare scrapped parts and some other parts and try to almost fully upgrade my guns for charge accel and charge rate and I should be set for the rest of the game.

I knew I was doing this wrong... I don't have the EXP Trainer from the Doll Quest and I also didn't have the 2X Effect Terminal ( 220 tiles is alot in the beginning ) and I'm attempting this way too early ( Chapter 7 ) I did use this method to raise MG on each of my characters to lv 25 so it wasn't a total waste of time.

Volcynika

Ricker said:
Chapter 5 is hard...my guys are around level 22,I got the Basilica delivery quest but I can`t get there yet,I have the third statue to take a picture of but I have no clues on where it is and the main quest is really hard with all the freezing going on...I finally managed to beat the mechanical thing with the Shop sign on it,barely,so I have to gring for now.

Also why do I have random hex fights now where the ennemy is really hard to beat(there`s like 6 of them)? I had to hex escape to Ebel and barely made it last time hehe, because I didn`t want to lose the level ups I had from the previous fight....

Statue locations

Cranktown Seminary (same level as freezer place), Theresa's manor (Chandelier), and the end of Lucia where Leanne put that flower down

dramatis

Ricker said:

Nah, level isn't a huge deal in this game. I got into a Lvl 71 encounter while lvl 52 (highest) and I kicked the leader's ass. Your gun customization and battle tactics are probably more important than how high level you are. In random hex fights, there's usually a leader—attack only him rather than trying to wipe everyone out.

If you're having freezing problems (I take it you mean character freezing, not game freezing), what you should grind for are colored hex pieces to link the ice damage halved and fire damage up terminals to Silver Canyon. If you think you can't link any further on some narrow paths, try building an energy station to extend one more hex of reach and continue linking.

Idol pictures are at:
  • Jean Paulet's Manor, one of the two idols in front (if you talk to Gargiliano's maid outside his manor she'll say Jean Paulet has idols)
  • Lucia, where Leanne put the flower waaay back in the beginning
  • Crank Seminary, inside

People seem to have difficulty finding the idols for some reason, when Garg himself says, "Ask the people around your place" (only need to talk to lady in pink dress) but I guess I wouldn't have known about the Jean Paulet one if I didn't just talk to his maid after I received his camera.

Volcynika said:
Statue locations

Cranktown Seminary (same level as freezer place), Theresa's manor (Chandelier), and the end of Lucia where Leanne put that flower down

You! Still got one of them wrong.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's a better way of starting a new game when you're sick? :D

Finally got this game, yay! Gonna start right now.

Ricker said:
Lol Radiantdreamer,sorry to go off topic a bit but how do you get your avatar to be a slideshow like that,it`s pretty cool hehe...

Just copy and paste this, and follow the instructions.

Code:
<?php
/*
How to use:
1. Place suitable images in the same folder as the script resides.
The images should have a .jpg, .gif or a .png ending.

2. Copy the source of this script in a textfile, rename it avatar.php
(or any other name, as you please) and save it in the same directory as the images.

3. Call the script by appending a random name with the filetype ending.
Example:
http://www.fungifun.org/rotate/avatar.php/example.jpg

avatar.php is the name of the script

example.jpg is a random name, you could also use asasd.jpg or qwfpoa.jpg, the name doesn't matter,
what is important is the ending. The ending determines which files from the folder are used.
So, if you use example.gif, then the gif files in this folder will be used.
*/

$filetype = end(explode(".",$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']));
if($filetype != "jpg" && $filetype != "gif" && $filetype != "png") exit;
if ($handle = opendir('.')) {
   while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
       if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && stristr($file, ".".$filetype)) $files[]=$file;
   }
   closedir($handle);
}
if ($files) {
    $imagenr = rand(0, sizeof($files)-1);
    if($filetype == "jpg") $filetype = "jpeg";
    $fp = fopen($files[$imagenr], 'rb');
    header("Content-Type: image/$filetype");
    header("Content-Length: " . filesize($files[$imagenr]));
    fpassthru($fp);
    exit;
}
?>

Bebpo

Banned
chris-013 said:
I did chapter 6-10 in 2 hours maybe less... I think the game become very easy with dual SMG/dual HG. ^^;

Skipping the side missions and danger hexes? I can't even imagine how to do 5 chapters in 2 hours otherwise. Just the running up and down floors for the quests takes a good amount of time.

If I don't spend time in the arena and just do main mission + side missions + danger hexes, a chapter still takes about 2-3 hours. Add in the latest arena battles each chapter and it takes me about 4-5 hours a chapter.

I just finished ch.10 at 44 hours. I'm pretty sure this will take me 65-80 hours. Then again I'm doing the entire arena + all the content in the game. Trying to get 100% completion on my first playthrough.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How is the experience shared? Every shot on an enemy gives exp with that specific weapon?

Do I need to kill the enemy to get the exp? If that's the case, how will scrap (?) weapons get exp?

chifanpoe

duckroll said:

I wonder if this will work for Yakuza 3.... ;)

Riptwo

I'm officially terrible at this game, but this is the first time that I've ever really enjoyed a JRPG's combat system. Additionally, I'm proud of myself for beating the chapter 1 boss. This is gonna be rough.

Yoshichan said:
How is the experience shared? Every shot on an enemy gives exp with that specific weapon?

Do I need to kill the enemy to get the exp? If that's the case, how will scrap (?) weapons get exp?
I am pretty sure it is only shots that hit the main body that give exp.

Yoshichan

Ok explain why sometimes it takes 40 minutes to load an attack and sometimes 2 frames.

Yoshichan

That simple huh? :lol Thanks!

tenton

Ricker said:
No,that`s another thing i don`t quite understand so I`m not bothering with it so far...there is one terminal,on the initial floor,that says 7/3 on it,and that confuses me...some say like 0/65 for example,so why is that one saying 7/3? shouldn`t it say 3/3?

No, it's like this. It take 3 connected colored hexes to activate that terminal's power. You have 7 colored hexes connected to that terminal now. As long as you're at or above that number, the areas that are connected (with that same color) have that power/effect. You can then try to hook up other terminals. If you do, the amount required will be increased; e.g. if you can hook up the 0/3 terminal to the 0/65 terminal, you will need 68 hexes of the same color connected; when you do, then you get both effects along those colored hexes.

You can send the effects up and down elevators (not Core Lifts) so you can connect a bunch of effects together and get them all. If you cover a dungeon area with activated terminals, the whole dungeon gets the effect(s).

Yoshichan

Something tells me I'm playing this game way too slow but I'm really loving it (battle and graphics at least).

But I just started chapter 3 after 5 hours <,< arena and getting 100% is _addicting_ in this game!

Volcynika

I'm kinda confused at the meaning of the "Tera-Driver" trophy, I just kinda randomly got it. Anyone know what it was for, exactly? Is it beastiary related?

Also what are enemies fascination with BEES? :lol

dramatis

Volcynika said:
I'm kinda confused at the meaning of the "Tera-Driver" trophy, I just kinda randomly got it. Anyone know what it was for, exactly? Is it beastiary related?

Also what are enemies fascination with BEES? :lol

If you read the description, it'll say you loaded over 1 terabit of data from the disc.

Volcynika

dramatis said:
If you read the description, it'll say you loaded over 1 terabit of data from the disc.

Seems like such an odd thing to keep track of :lol

Anyways, did a little hex farming in the Ch 14 dungeon and shortly after, was able to attach a x1.5 exp / x1.5 item drop rate / 2x all terminal effects on the arena. Will at least make arena progress somewhat more rewarding! :lol

And while also I could power my way through earlier chapters with some tweaks here and there, nice to see that the Ch 14 dungeon you can't really attempt that with the number of enemies and their levels.

dramatis

Volcynika said:
And while also I could power my way through earlier chapters with some tweaks here and there, nice to see that the Ch 14 dungeon you can't really attempt that with the number of enemies and their levels.

You mean more like scrape by on the skin of your teeth :D

Top Bottom