• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Volcynika

squall211 said:
Alright I have a question.

Where can I get a second machine gun? Unless I've overlooked it, I haven't found another one anywhere and it doesn't look one one is available to purchase.

End of the Dakota Vein dungeon.

dramatis

squall211 said:
Alright I have a question.

Where can I get a second machine gun? Unless I've overlooked it, I haven't found another one anywhere and it doesn't look one one is available to purchase.

What chapter are you on?

Once you can go down Core Lift 2, you can go to Dakota Vein optional dungeon and get one from a gold chest at the end.

Bebpo

Banned
Jeez, 45-3 is killer. I have a feeling this is what every battle in the bonus dungeon is going to be like :lol
Took me a lot of deaths and leveling before I got to the point where I can kill these helis whenever I want to stop grinding.

Even with lvl.160+ characters with 10k+ HP and armor+30 DEF on, 1 attack from a heli can almost kill me (sometimes it does!). It's almost like a bad thing to have so much HP because with only 14 bezel shards, it can immediately put you into C.C.

Think I'll try the final dungeon now.

I am @4.5 hours into the game and on Chapter 1 atm. So far I am loving the game, but this game is nucking futs hard!!! I am doing the first "dungeon" (can't remember the name of the town I entered, it's on level 4 and begins with the letter L iirc) and I cannot beat the fucking boss.

I must have tried it at least a dozen times last night, before giving up.

I generally
take out the 2 walking exploding cannister guys on the platform first, then try to destroy the barrel in the field because it seems the boss regenerates from it.

At one point I had him down to 1/3 health, but then something went wrong.

My characters are level 6-7 (the main guy is level 4 pistols, 1 machine gun and 2 grenades, the chick is 4 x pistols, 1x smg and 1x health, and the other guy is 1x pistol and 4 or 5 smg).

I think I might need to grind more and try and get extra guns so I can duel wield.

Generally I suck at JRPG's/SRPG's and either give up, or leave it and get back to it at a later date, but this game really does have me hooked and I don't want to give up on it :p

Volcynika

Bebpo said:
Jeez, 45-3 is killer. I have a feeling this is what every battle in the bonus dungeon is going to be like :lol
Took me a lot of deaths and leveling before I got to the point where I can kill these helis whenever I want to stop grinding.

Even with lvl.160+ characters with 10k+ HP and armor+30 DEF on, 1 attack from a heli can almost kill me (sometimes it does!). It's almost like a bad thing to have so much HP because with only 14 bezel shards, it can immediately put you into C.C.

Think I'll try the final dungeon now.

I got to 44-1 (I think) and the enemy setup (yeti-type + 4 soldiers) is just annoying to deal with. And the bonus dungeon beats my ass as well :lol

dramatis

Samurai Penguin said:
I am @4.5 hours into the game and on Chapter 1 atm. So far I am loving the game, but this game is nucking futs hard!!! I am doing the first "dungeon" (can't remember the name of the town I entered, it's on level 4 and begins with the letter L iirc) and I cannot beat the fucking boss.

I must have tried it at least a dozen times last night, before giving up.

I generally
take out the 2 walking exploding cannister guys on the platform first, then try to destroy the barrel in the field because it seems the boss regenerates from it.

At one point I had him down to 1/3 health, but then something went wrong.

My characters are level 6-7 (the main guy is level 4 pistols, 1 machine gun and 2 grenades, the chick is 4 x pistols, 1x smg and 1x health, and the other guy is 1x pistol and 4 or 5 smg).

I think I might need to grind more and try and get extra guns so I can duel wield.

Generally I suck at JRPG's/SRPG's and either give up, or leave it and get back to it at a later date, but this game really does have me hooked and I don't want to give up on it :p

It is going to take a while in the beginning to get a second gun, and a second handgun doesn't guarantee victory. What you were doing with your strategy is correct, but try to balance attacking the barrel and blowing off body parts from the boss. If you feel like you're in danger, use healing items and don't use hero actions, try just running from the boss's attack range.

I also picked to stand in places where he would have difficulty getting to.

My of my attacks were Hero actions, so no doubt that may have contributed to my ownage. Plus I think I did focus too much on the barrel. I think I did best when I was just focusing on him and not the barrel, and that's what got me to notice the barrel.

I'll try not to use hero actions and just run and gun around cover.

I still need to work out on how to aim for the body parts. I generally never play these types of strategy rpg games (except for Valkyria Chronicles which I <3) so it takes me while to get used to it.

Plus this game really doesn't try all that hard to explain everything to you, which, in some ways is appealing, because it allows me to try things out differently and hand holding can also sometimes put me off a game, especially if it holds your hand for the majority of the game.

Thanks for the tips :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So it took 60 hours and 15 chapters for the game to finally open it's wings out in terms of story? Yeah it's been a joke until now but it's starting to get really interesting now, good stuff!

Gameplay is as good as always. My second best JRPG this gen for sure!

Edit: Though I must say I was hoping they'd force you to use Tri-attack more often because I haven't used it once except for that tutorial. I don't feel like I'm missing something out by not using it, since I'm pretty much wooping ass anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
full scratch rate 100%
stun rate 100%
omggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

I am less worried about the bonus dungeon now!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Uh, how do I move the weapon when I customize them? I can only have them in the middle...?

zurra

so... question about neverland. the structure, that is. is it set up in one big batch of hexes where you gauntlet through to the boss/bosses/whatever, or is it broken up into pieces?

i'm only starting chapter 9, about 60 hours played, loving every minute of it so far, especially the challenging fights that come up from time to time! all signs point to favorite tri-ace game unless there's a crazy nosedive later.

oh yeah, it's fun describing some of the enemies to friends that haven't played it. like the armored ogre with an explosives vest and a construction tower for an arm. or the tank tractor bulldozer. or jabba the hut wearing a monster truck for armor with a surface-to-air missile launcher backpack. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Uh, how do I move the weapon when I customize them? I can only have them in the middle...?

Move with the right analogue while you are placing a piece. They really should have put this somewhere in the help screen :(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There's no mistake about it, this is a grind-heavy game, huh...

Not that it's necessarily bad, mind you, but even I who happen to just love grinding in games is finding it rather difficult to play this game in long stretches anymore.

I need a break for this game a little...

/rant.

It depends on how you define 'grind'. Is playing the game 10 times over a grind? How about the arena and some quests where you fight the exact same battle 3-4 times in a row? Or is grinding just running in circles doing the same fight solely to raise your stats?

If you're smart you can minimize grinding by using the arena and XP terminals/accessories to hit 100 MG/HG in a few hours. But then once you reach 50-100% scratch/stun/gague break chance, you break the games mechanics, making enemy stat boosts (up to 5x on the highest difficulty) fairly meaningless.

What were the devs thinking?

Bebpo

Banned
Finished the final dungeon, watched the ending, finished neverland, finished the last 5 arena ranks and I think I'm about done with this game now at 64 hours. Doing all the arena battles another 6 times is way too tedious for me and I don't really see any reason to do a new game+ if you've already hit the level caps and have all the clothes and best weapons/items.

Gonna have to sleep on it to really figure out how I feel about the game. But I did enjoy it very much and think it's one of this gen & tri-ace's best. I really liked the character driven story that was the first 14 or so chapters, the actual "story" though seemed kinda lol jrpg lol in the end. Gameplay-wise I think this is probably the best playing tri-ace rpg, but story/worldview I think I'm still partial to the original Valkyrie Profile and parts of VP2.

Oh and the 2nd section of Neverland was really really hard for me. It's about the only part of the game that made me rage a bit. The east terminal in the 2nd block must have taken me 20-30 retries over 60 mins. 100x harder than anything else I faced in the game. >_< I really enjoyed the final boss of neverland though. The fight felt closer to a traditional rpg and I really liked that. Maybe RoF2 can have more non-gun battles.

mjemirzian said:
It depends on how you define 'grind'. Is playing the game 10 times over a grind? How about the arena and some quests where you fight the exact same battle 3-4 times in a row? Or is grinding just running in circles doing the same fight solely to raise your stats?

If you're smart you can minimize grinding by using the arena and XP terminals/accessories to hit 100 MG/HG in a few hours. But then once you reach 50-100% scratch/stun/gague break chance, you break the games mechanics, making enemy stat boosts (up to 5x on the highest difficulty) fairly meaningless.

What were the devs thinking?

Yeah, I don't think it's a very grind heavy game. Between the terminals and the arena (which I don't see as grinding, since you are making progress toward new challenges) you can gain levels pretty easily and the game is actually kind of anti-grinding as you can buy the "no random encounters" ring super early in the game and basically not fight at all when you don't need to.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Do you think I'll like this game?

I like JRPGs however only certain types like Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles and hate pretty much all others, would you reccomend me this game based on these preferences?

Mr_Brit said:

I like JRPGs however only certain types like Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles and hate pretty much all others, would you reccomend me this game based on these preferences?

That's....pretty vague.

Varion

Mr_Brit said:

I think you'll have to expand on exactly what you like about those and hate about all others before anyone can honestly say whether you'd like this or not. Even then it's quite difficult because this game's pretty unique.

Yoshichan

All right! Final chapter now :D

I just noticed something. Not sure if anyone else has. If you do a hero action, and jump at the last possible second before you reach your end point, you actually get to exceed your run and charge more because of air time.

If you've done your acceleration properly, this usually means 3, sometimes 4 levels of extra charge if you're right next to your enemy.

Ricker

I`ll try that,I need all the help I can get...twice now i`m trying to do the chapter 5 main mission and run out of molotov`s,at my level,26 to all 3,since I still have the beginner guns,I don`t do enough damage without the cocktail so it`s pretty useless to keep going,and it`s a long run...just barely managed to come out of that level last evening,otherwise I would of wasted about an hour of playtime,since there`s no saves along the way...

Next time,i`ll buy 200 of the damn things. :lol

Varion

radiantdreamer said:
I just noticed something. Not sure if anyone else has. If you do a hero action, and jump at the last possible second before you reach your end point, you actually get to exceed your run and charge more because of air time.
Yeah I've been doing this for a while, though I quite often jump straight away because it makes parts damage easier.

I dunno if it's just me but machinegun fire from a jump seems to have less effect than if you're on the ground though. Maybe that's how they balance it out, can charge for longer if you jump at the end but it does a bit less damage?

Yoshichan

I really don't understand how they couldn't make the scratch-system flawless (where a game is 99% based on it). This boss requires you to pretty much kill them only with scratch damage and even if the game TELLS me I've got their shield to 100%, when I shoot it it won't kill them. Is there something I'm not understanding with this system?

MechaX

Okay, just got this for $37 from a K-Mart sale rather randomly. I'm a bit worried since Tri-Ace has been a constant stream of disappointments lately. The rather mixed press doesn't really worry me too much when considering that the consistent complaint is "This game is too complex for casual players, but if you're a JRPG fanatic, you'll love it!". 1UP's review was also interesting, as its complaint was that it takes 20 hours to get good (after FFXIII, I'm used to this by now). But I loved the demo and VP2 was one of my favorite RPGs, let alone my favorite Tri-Ace game bar none.

Welp, time to take a plunge into this.

Bebpo

Banned
1up said it takes 20 hours to get good? wat.

Nothing changes in the game from the start to finish, lol. The only changes are you, the player, learning how to play and enjoying it more as you do.

Bebpo

Banned
Yoshichan said:
I really don't understand how they couldn't make the scratch-system flawless (where a game is 99% based on it). This boss requires you to pretty much kill them only with scratch damage and even if the game TELLS me I've got their shield to 100%, when I shoot it it won't kill them. Is there something I'm not understanding with this system?

The shields are probably regenning a bit between scratch -> direct so you aren't totally killing the armor.

I found using tri-attacks extremely useful in the final dungeon because of the scratch recover rates. Just simple 1 or 2 resonance ones in a small triangle around the boss to do scratch and immediately convert it.

Bebpo said:
What is it about this game that makes people retarded when they talk about it? The combat mechanics are a little much to take all in right away, but it's not THAT difficult or complicated. What is it? ADD, people not willing to read shit? Wtf??

Yoshichan

Well, I'm on final boss and decided to go back...

Time for arena... *sigh*

How many hours will this take? 20? 30?

dramatis

Yoshichan said:

If what you're shooting at is the shield then obviously the boss won't die.

Keep in mind that as time passes the enemy HP also recovers from Scratch damage.

Ricker said:
I`ll try that,I need all the help I can get...twice now i`m trying to do the chapter 5 main mission and run out of molotov`s,at my level,26 to all 3,since I still have the beginner guns,I don`t do enough damage without the cocktail so it`s pretty useless to keep going,and it`s a long run...just barely managed to come out of that level last evening,otherwise I would of wasted about an hour of playtime,since there`s no saves along the way...

Next time,i`ll buy 200 of the damn things. :lol

You can try linking the Fire Damagex2 terminal to the story dungeon. On top of that, using a machine gun + Incendiary Rounds will help more than Molotovs alone.

Bebpo said:

Nothing changes in the game from the start to finish, lol. The only changes are you, the player, learning how to play and enjoying it more as you do.
The impression I got from listening to the ATB podcast was that this game had run over the reviewer's dog somehow, because he made it sound like it was the most complex and difficult battle system ever which had scarred him for life over the 20 hours it took for him to fully grasp everything. I assumed he was overreacting...

Mr_Brit said:
You can move around the battlefield like in VC, change clothing like in FF X-2, and the male lead has long hair ala Lost Odyssey. So the answer, clearly, is yes.

Laughing Banana said:
There's no mistake about it, this is a grind-heavy game, huh...

Not that it's necessarily bad, mind you, but even I who happen to just love grinding in games is finding it rather difficult to play this game in long stretches anymore.

I need a break for this game a little...

/rant.
You are doing it wrong. Grinding and high levels are not necessary if you understand how the game systems work.

chris-013

I just finished chapter 11 with solo Vashyron, the cutscene was fun. ^^

32 hours, chapter 12, party level 46-55... 4 chapters left right ? I try to not level up and customize my weapons to have enough difficulty because it's very easy since chapter 6.

I tried the arena but it's too boring to rank up at my level. ^^;

Ricker

dramatis said:
If what you're shooting at is the shield then obviously the boss won't die.

Keep in mind that as time passes the enemy HP also recovers from Scratch damage.

You can try linking the Fire Damagex2 terminal to the story dungeon. On top of that, using a machine gun + Incendiary Rounds will help more than Molotovs alone.

My stash of incendiary rounds are long gone and I can`t buy or make those yet...that`s one bad thing about me running back to Ebel or the nearest save/rest place,all scratched up in order to save my levels though,I used a lot of good ammo...i`ll play with 3 saves from now on.

Bebpo

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Well, I'm on final boss and decided to go back...

Time for arena... *sigh*

How many hours will this take? 20? 30?

3 x 50 battles = 150 battle * 3 mins each on average = 450 mins = 7-8 hours.

God help you if you want to star them all though and do 500 battles >_<

Yoshichan

Arena #14 after 3 hours... and it's only going to get slower from here. Oh my God.

Yoshichan

Arena #17 now... after 1 hour and 10 minutes (from #14)... :lol My god why am I even doing this?

Update 2: Time is 3:41, I'm at arena #23... Thank god I have Youtube and a bunch of Final Fantasy OSTs... I would've died of boredom without it.

Update 3: Time is 4:44, at arena 25... I know I slowed down a lot, but that's because I accidentally slept for a couple of minutes in a battle.

hamchan

Ok, now that I'm done with FFXIII and GOW3 and pretty much every other PS3 game I currently have, I actually started playing this game. At the end of chapter 1 and I already have multiple game overs :lol

Yoshichan

I remember your post :lol ! Something like "Finally got the game! Now to leave it on the shelves for a couple of months..." :lol :lol

Update 4: Ugh... time: 6:58am... arena #29

Update 5: *cough* time: 8:46am... arena #32... yes, I know... 1h 45min for 3 arenas ... :lol ... sigh.

Update 6: 9:52am... arena 36...

Yoshichan

I give up. Came to arena 43 and can't proceed for every coin in the world.

I've never hated a game this much in my entire life. Spent so much time just to stop in such a way.

Volcynika

Yoshichan said:

I've never hated a game this much in my entire life. Spent so much time just to stop in such a way.

It's not really the game's fault you decided to go through the entire arena in one chapter :lol

Yoshichan said:

I think this is one of those times when its best to say you're doing it wrong? I think the proper pacing for them should be whenever you can't go any further in a given chapter. T least that's how I've been approaching.

Although, I haven't proceed past chapter 4 in a month due to wonders of fair work & college studies.

Einbroch

Banned
Well, I caved.

This game is...amazing! It REALLY reminds me of Star Ocean: The Second Story, just in a different setting. The arena is addicting, character customization is deep and enjoyable, and the battle system is top-notch. When I lose, I'm forced to switch my strategy around. I don't die due to the game being cheap, I die because I get comfortable with battling one way and a new encounter forces me to try another.

Yoshichan

But... I'm at the last chapter, I'm level 120 and my weapons are crazy good and I can't win. But then again, I might've just been tired... I'm going to give it a try today, ugh.

Volcynika

Gonna go ahead and beat the game and tackle Neverland in NG+. Got through minimum arena ranks to beat 50, and got a star on 50 along with about 45 others, so 4 more left to finish that are under 50. Maxed SMGs for Vash and handguns for Zephyr/Leanne, Just really need to improve my handgun customization, it's a little crappy :lol

How do you get the max bezel shards of like 20 in the second playthrough? Bosses?

Bebpo

Banned
Yoshichan said:
But... I'm at the last chapter, I'm level 120 and my weapons are crazy good and I can't win. But then again, I might've just been tired... I'm going to give it a try today, ugh.

Concentrate on tri-attacks and taking out the high damages assault rifle dudes first. If you can nail one on your way to tri-attack & then 2+ others during the tri-attack clearing up the remaining ones won't be a problem.

Keeping going! 45-3 is soon and will max your MG to lvl.100 (useful for neverland)

Good God I'm on the second chapter where it's used the genius mechanic of splitting my party up and I just can't be arsed any more. I'm finding this game way too competitive, even after FFXIII, think I might come back after a break but I'm not too sure that I'll want to.

Yoshichan

Bebpo said:
Concentrate on tri-attacks and taking out the high damages assault rifle dudes first. If you can nail one on your way to tri-attack & then 2+ others during the tri-attack clearing up the remaining ones won't be a problem.

Keeping going! 45-3 is soon and will max your MG to lvl.100 (useful for neverland)
Wait, LEVEL 100 MG? Jesus Christ I'm not even close (60 something)... Is it a boss in 45-3? Should I not kill him and farm him instead?

Edit: Also, when I tri-attack, should I just spam X?

Top Bottom