• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Went through the dungeon in Chapter 2. Just when I start to think I have the battle system down, a group of spider mech looking things just destroy me. I think I need to upgrade my weapons some.

Having a lot of fun with it though. I really like the structure of the quests.

Bebpo

Banned
dramatis said:
You mean more like scrape by on the skin of your teeth :D

I dunno, I definitely powered my way through most of the game so far! (ch.12 now looking forward to the tough dungeons coming up)
lvl.80+ characters with 10 bezel shards and super customized dual MG & dual HG using multiple elite scopes from the arena and other great parts have pretty much destroyed everything in my way.

Hardest thing in the game so far was definitely the 3 mad Goliath fight. But when AP rounds are so cheap at the arena, I didn't feel too bad about pumping a max AP MG round straight into each one.

I wouldn't call RoF easy so far, but especially if you use your magazine case, it's very standard difficulty for a mainstream rpg: stick to the main story and have a good challenge, or do all the side stuff along the way and be overpowered. That basically applies to 90% of rpgs, w or j, and I'm finding RoF to be no different.

Then again there are like 10 harder difficulties, so I'm sure they are hard as hell later on! :lol

Replicant

WTF at the sudden difficulty spike in Chapter 6??!!! The difficulty spike in 5 was bad enough but this is getting frustrating.

I couldn't even beat some random thugs who are 10 levels below me. It's like they have so much health despite being on lower levels. Also, the henchmen kept shooting with me machine guns, destroying my bezels over and over again.

I somehow managed to defeat the rebellion chopter though and that satisified me but what am I suppose to do with the other blockades in Level 7?
I need to get medicine for Leanne.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So what level should I be in chapter 6? I'm currently lvl 44 with everyone...

Yoshichan said:
You are about 22 levels higher than I was in Chapter 6, so you should be okay. :lol

Bebpo said:
I wouldn't call RoF easy so far, but especially if you use your magazine case, it's very standard difficulty for a mainstream rpg: stick to the main story and have a good challenge, or do all the side stuff along the way and be overpowered. That basically applies to 90% of rpgs, w or j, and I'm finding RoF to be no different.
Honestly you seem to be way over leveled if you are level 80 on chapter 12. Most rpg's are pretty easy if you are 25-30 levels higher than you need to be at that point in the game.

Replicant

Yoshichan said:

T_T

No way!! I'm only at level 31-32 (and I think Leanne is still stuck at 29). No wonder I'm having difficulty. But the thing is the enemies are only at level 23-27. I don't get it.

Volcynika

Yeah, the arena basically power levels you highly (especially with the terminal upgrades you can put on it eventually), I'm sitting on Ch 14 still maxing out the arena ranks I passed over (37 of them are star'd currently) and I have levels 96/83/80.

N30RYU

It's recomended to do the mission 20-4 cheat? I'm in chapter 7 in the level 15-1 arena linked to the x3 EXP terminals and i'm level 67 62 62 with SMG+gun SMG+gun and gun+gun... and I don't want the game to become too easy and more repetitive... so i think that i will left the arena in the 20-4 just in case, go for the story... and if it becomes too hard i'll do the 20-4 cheat...

Bebpo

Banned
N30RYU said:
It's recomended to do the mission 20-4 cheat? I'm in chapter 7 in the level 15-1 arena linked to the x3 EXP terminals and i'm level 67 62 62 with SMG+gun SMG+gun and gun+gun... and I don't want the game to become too easy and more repetitive... so i think that i will left the arena in the 20-4 just in case, go for the story... and if it becomes too hard i'll do the 20-4 cheat...

I don't think it'll do much for you. I was under the impression it's really only useful to get to lvl.50-60 for players ~lvl.30-40. I was already around 50s when I got to 20-3 so I never bothered. You sound like you're around the same levels as I was, maybe even higher so I wouldn't bother.

Then again I never got the 3x exp terminals to the arena. Had it at 1.5x while I was doing the ranks. Didn't and still don't have enough colored hexes to activate the 2x effect terminal :(

Volcynika said:
Yeah, the arena basically power levels you highly (especially with the terminal upgrades you can put on it eventually), I'm sitting on Ch 14 still maxing out the arena ranks I passed over (37 of them are star'd currently) and I have levels 96/83/80.

I kind of want to star them for the achievement, but it just seems like sooo many battles. I'm just doing the "3 then move on" approach for the arena and after I beat the game I'll decide if I want to grind the battles to the achievement. Then again it might be good grinding for levels before the bonus dungeon anyways.

vesp

Saw on CAG that the game is $37 at Kmart as an unadvertised special and ran out and picked up the game today. Went through the tutorial and prologue chapter and am digging it so far. Really digging the look and design of the game (though have worries it's not going to vary much if i understand the structure of the game correctly) and the combat seems pretty cool.

It's already 1000x better than any Tri-Ace game since VP:Silmeria given that I don't want to shoot any of the main characters in the face yet. That crazy ass kid at the end of the prologue came pretty close though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There, I'm tired of dying...

lvl 50 with everyone, chapter 7. Let's try this out.

Edit - level 54 now... damn farming is addicting.

Edit 2 - Zephyr just dinged 60, same place :lol other two at 58.

Edit 3 - aaaaaand I'm done farming in chapter 7 :lol everyone at 61... I swear if I die now, I'm going to be mad.

duckroll said:
A friend of mine just discovered something AMAZING! :lol

For those of you playing on a PS3. Set the system language to Japanese, and start the game up. The entire game is in Japanese, including the original names (Reanbell), and you still have dual language audio options. OMG! :lol

It's too bad doing this doesn't magically enable the secret super-hires cutscenes as well.

Volcynika

Bebpo said:
I kind of want to star them for the achievement, but it just seems like sooo many battles. I'm just doing the "3 then move on" approach for the arena and after I beat the game I'll decide if I want to grind the battles to the achievement. Then again it might be good grinding for levels before the bonus dungeon anyways.

It's a ton of battles yes, 10 x at least 50 ranks is a LOT :lol

But I've got some podcasts to catch up on, so I just listen to those while working through them, since the battle chatter in the story missions is good to listen to due to plot references. I'll probably at least star all the silver ones, maybe do some danger zones I left on level 12, then go to the dungeon of 14 and work my way through that.

Yoshichan

Great tip: don't play for 18 hours and then immediately go to bed. I kept dreaming about having 0 red stuff and that song stressed the fuck out of me while I was sleeping.

Ugh, not a single minute of good rest since I started playing this game...

*goes to continue with this amazing piece of art*

Got all my chars to ~185 last night. The right helicopter in 45-3 gives MASSIVE exp for your grenades/handguns (3-4 levels per kill) with the XP terminals and two xp accessories and can easily be 100% Scratched to main body unlike the left heli.

Person 1 - 100% Scratch
Person 2 - Kill using Mototov+/HG, level 3-4 times.
Person 3 - Walk out and repeat.

I think I will grind out to 300 over the next two days and then do last two sub bosses and see how hard Neverland really is.

Also, upgraded my SMG to the exact same as this (non-Golden) -

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4456/pict0965y.jpg

orion434

radiantdreamer said:
what's this 20-3 thing that everyone keeps mentioning?

In the Arena Rank 20-3 puts you up against a Gold Jewel that recovers scratch-damage insanely fast.... it can't really do much damage to you and if you link enough + EXP terminals and Accessories... you can basically exploit this and exit before you kill it and level-up your MG to hih levels in relatively short time.

Volcynika

Man, you two's guns tear up mine :lol

I'm still sort of confused with my weapon customizing, I've only got a certain set of parts, nothing close to filling up the screen like that :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Wait, can you move the gun body itself and reposition it on the grid like RoodyPooUS's picture? I thought you couldn't move the base but it's way up high in his MG.

Volcynika said:
I'm still sort of confused with my weapon customizing, I've only got a certain set of parts, nothing close to filling up the screen like that :lol

You were in ch.14 last time you posted so you should be able to make everything I have in my gun at the tinker guy in the shop. What's currently stopping you from filling up the screen mainly? Don't forget if you need a specific item to build something at the tinker guy you may have that item in an older part and you can scrap that part and get the item back.

Bebpo said:
Wait, can you move the gun body itself and reposition it on the grid like RoodyPooUS's picture? I thought you couldn't move the base but it's way up high in his MG.
Yeah you can. I didn't realize that myself till I had already beat the main game.

Volcynika said:
Man, you two's guns tear up mine :lol

As your weapon levels get higher charge acceleration (the barrels) becomes more important than charge speed (scopes). Most of my weapons were 140 charge speed and around 66% charge acceleration.

As far as positioning goes you will want to move the gun to the upper right corner with enough room for a long scope to fit. You need to make a few of the expander grips and adapter handguards/barrel adapters as well. Once you have those you can get really creative with how you set up your barrel configuration. But you definitely want to fill up the whole left portion of the screen with barrel pieces.

Volcynika

Bebpo said:

You were in ch.14 last time you posted so you should be able to make everything I have in my gun at the tinker guy in the shop. What's currently stopping you from filling up the screen mainly? Don't forget if you need a specific item to build something at the tinker guy you may have that item in an older part and you can scrap that part and get the item back.

Mostly I'd add parts then it'd tell me that all parts that are added incorrectly will be removed, so apparently I was just putting them on incorrectly :lol

dramatis

Volcynika said:
Mostly I'd add parts then it'd tell me that all parts that are added incorrectly will be removed, so apparently I was just putting them on incorrectly :lol

So lazy.

You could probably try to plot out what customizations you want first on paper, and then get the materials together for the whole thing and snap them on.

Volcynika

dramatis said:
So lazy.

You could probably try to plot out what customizations you want first on paper, and then get the materials together for the whole thing and snap them on.

So mean :(

That takes work though!

Mudkips

Banned
Holy shit at people way above the necessary levels!

I'm 60-65 and finishing up chapter 13, and so far I haven't had any issues.
In fact, I'm avoiding the arena now (I have about 20 new ranks open to me) because I don't want to get leveled any more.

Vashyron with 2 machine guns, hero action, full scratch 2 or 3 enemies (always jump).
Pop em with Leanne (double handgun, always jump) and break open any stupid gremlins in barrels or whatever.
Tri Attack (yes, with 2 resonance points) starting with Vashyron (and Leanne as number 2) to pick off 3-4 more enemies. Again, always jumping.

Fuck Zephyr.

dramatis

Mudkips said:
Holy shit at people way above the necessary levels!

I'm 60-65 and finishing up chapter 13, and so far I haven't had any issues.
In fact, I'm avoiding the arena now (I have about 20 new ranks open to me) because I don't want to get leveled any more.

Vashyron with 2 machine guns, hero action, full scratch 2 or 3 enemies (always jump).
Pop em with Leanne (double handgun, always jump) and break open any stupid gremlins in barrels or whatever.
Tri Attack (yes, with 2 resonance points) starting with Vashyron (and Leanne as number 2) to pick off 3-4 more enemies. Again, always jumping.

Fuck Zephyr.

Don't jump all the time, breaking body parts sometimes net you items. There's also a trophy for breaking body parts too.

I think the reason why so many of us are always overleveled is because we're all whacked out going off and shooting everything except the story mission.

Mudkips

Banned
dramatis said:
Don't jump all the time, breaking body parts sometimes net you items. There's also a trophy for breaking body parts too.

I think the reason why so many of us are always overleveled is because we're all whacked out going off and shooting everything except the story mission.

I get plenty of items from jumping. The body parts get busted anyway when I finish 'em off with Leanne. I'm doing everything, not just the main story. Double machine guns is just way overpowered.

dramatis said:
I don't know, I finished the main game with all my characters in the high 70s - low 80s and had completed everything except for Neverland and the last five arena ranks (wasn't going for stars in each rank though).

When people are claiming they need to be level 60 to make it through Chapter 7 it really has me wondering if they understand what is going on with the game.

I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I never really switched the characters weapon types around. I adopted a 2 handguns Vash/machingun-ammo case Zeph/grenade-first aid kit Leanne setup about half way through and just used that on the same characters for the rest of the main game.

dramatis

Schopenhauer said:
I don't know, I finished the main game with all my characters in the high 70s - low 80s and had completed everything except for Neverland and the last five arena ranks (wasn't going for stars in each rank though).

When people are claiming they need to be level 60 to make it through Chapter 7 it really has me wondering if they understand what is going on with the game.

I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I never really switched the characters weapon types around. I adopted a 2 handguns Vash/machingun-ammo case Zeph/grenade-first aid kit Leanne setup about half way through and just used that on the same characters for the rest of the main game.

It's not quite that people feel they need to be higher levels to beat chapters, I meant just that a lot of people are having fun monkeying around.

I know I dont' really need those levels and fully customized weapons to beat a lot of the stuff, but I love min/maxing, farming and powerleveling.

dramatis said:
It's not quite that people feel they need to be higher levels to beat chapters, I meant just that a lot of people are having fun monkeying around.
Well there have been quite a few posters in this thread that have implied that they did feel that need. My comments were not aimed at people who hadn't.

People should play games in the manner that they most enjoy, but when a poster complains about a game being too easy or too hard and they are way over leveled it shouldn't be that surprising when someone comments on that fact.

Yoshichan

How long is this game? How many chapters (spoiler tag it please!).

I'm progressing like 4 chapters per day and that seems to be a lot (based on how much I'm playing every day).

Volcynika

Yoshichan said:
How long is this game? How many chapters (spoiler tag it please!).

I'm progressing like 4 chapters per day and that seems to be a lot (based on how much I'm playing every day).

Well it's been said multiple times and not spoiler tagged, but I'll do it anyways
16 chapters

Bebpo

Banned
Schopenhauer said:

Yeah, I dunno. I haven't really grinded. I just started each chapter and did:
-side missions
-danger hexes
-any new optional dungeons opened up
-any new arena chapters opened up (just 3 times each to unlock the next rank)
-main mission

But I'd get about 5-10 levels per chapter doing that. I mean I'm on ch.14 now and have done everything in it besides the story dungeon and my party is lvl.85 each.

I have 2 HG on 1 character, 2 MG on 1 character, Grenade/First Aid (mainly for escape hex) on 1 character. That way I'm leveling all 3 level types at the same time on different characters. Then every 2-3 levels I switch around who is holding what so the levels are generally close. I think everyone in my party is about 28 HG, 29 MG, 28 Grenade.

For accesories:
2 HG person - shooting star + hawk eye (mash O while running to get bonus hit -> break body parts)
2 MG person - shooter star + armor
Gre/Kit person - armor + strongman's bangle (substitute for exp trainer in dungeons/arena/danger hexes)

I basically avoid all random encounters and just do what's necessary. I do try to link item drop/rare item/exp terminals to the arena or just to dungeons in general though. Hitting the 51 hour mark now.

Bebpo said:
Then every 2-3 levels I switch around who is holding what so the levels are generally close. I think everyone in my party is about 28 HG, 29 MG, 28 Grenade.
This would explain the difference then. I never switched my parties weapons around unless I had to. So each character had around 75% or more of their level tied into one weapon.

Bebpo

Banned
Schopenhauer said:
This would explain the difference then. I never switched my parties weapons around unless I had to. So each character had around 75% or more of their level tied into one weapon.

Well, my goal was to get my levels up high as fast as I could so my HP would be high and less worry about going into CC. Plus more weight for customization and dual guns.

Volcynika

How does the game end in the sense that once you beat the game, you go straight to credits and NG+? Or are you able to go for the bonus dungeon after beating the last boss?

Also I have 999 stars for sidequest rewards, I'm guessing the last story quest is the one I need to beat for that trophy? I don't remember missing one!

Volcynika said:
How does the game end in the sense that once you beat the game, you go straight to credits and NG+? Or are you able to go for the bonus dungeon after beating the last boss?

Also I have 999 stars for sidequest rewards, I'm guessing the last story quest is the one I need to beat for that trophy? I don't remember missing one!
You can get the hexes to open up the bonus dungeon before the final boss. You can do it then or in a NG+.

999 is the limit on your first time through the game. You don't get the achievement till you beat the final boss.

Volcynika

Schopenhauer said:
You can get the hexes to open up the bonus dungeon before the final boss. You can do it then or in a NG+.

999 is the limit on your first time through the game. You don't get the achievement till you beat the final boss.

Hrm, I must've missed the hexes. I just
beat the two cardinals prior to Rowen (sitting in the room right before the last room of the Basilica.
Did I miss them in an earlier room?

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I see how I have them now.

Also have the shiny clothes for everyone :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, yeah the 3x exp at the arena + double xp trainers (if they really are stacking, might as well equip three) is insane.

I did 44-1 through 44-star to get enough gold coins to buy the HG from the arena and in 20 mins doing those 10 battles my party went from lvl.90 -> lvl.125 ^^; I basically gained a level everytime I scratched/killed an enemy, so 4-5 levels per battle. Craaaaaazy stuff.

Just got to chapter 16. Kind of tempted to just rush through the final dungeon to see the ending, then reload my save and do all the side missions for the chapter and the final dungeon again. Want to see how it turns out! ...but don't want to spend 1-2 hours doing all the optional side stuff before the next cutscene :|

Volcynika

Bebpo said:
Just got to chapter 16. Kind of tempted to just rush through the final dungeon to see the ending, then reload my save and do all the side missions for the chapter and the final dungeon again. Want to see how it turns out! ...but don't want to spend 1-2 hours doing all the optional side stuff before the next cutscene :|

Yeah, right now I'm at the point of where I star'd the first 40 ranks, unlocked the bonus dungeon, and no real obstacles other than going through the rooms are between me and the final boss. I'm not sure what I'll do next :lol

rayner said:
In the Arena Rank 20-3 puts you up against a Gold Jewel that recovers scratch-damage insanely fast.... it can't really do much damage to you and if you link enough + EXP terminals and Accessories... you can basically exploit this and exit before you kill it and level-up your MG to hih levels in relatively short time.

Ah I see. Sweet! Will try that out. I guess I need to farm good colored hexes to hook them up.

I did the money exploit, maximized the amount of scopes I could buy and sell using a calculator. It's interesting to see the numbers increase exponentially (well not quite, but you know what I mean) each run. Got up to about 4 million in an hour and a half.

If only real business ventures were that easy...

oblo

So plenty retries on the end boss later... I finished it, after almost 90 hours, been one hell of a ride. Awesome game.

squall211

Alright I have a question.

Where can I get a second machine gun? Unless I've overlooked it, I haven't found another one anywhere and it doesn't look one one is available to purchase.

Top Bottom