• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
OniShiro said:
Sorry if this has been answered before, but will the game have an option to use the japanese voices with english subtitles?

It seems it has, but for what I heard of impressions, the English voices are the way to go, because it has Nolan North!! :lol

mAcOdIn

Yay, got the message while at work that my pre-order(PS3)should be in Wednesday afternoon, at my Gamestop, so essentially it's Yakuza 3 all over again. I live in a pretty small town so it's very common for my city to miss out on certain things on the release date, so if we're getting it Wednesday the rest of the civilized world should also be getting it.

Since I was at work I didn't call them back and ask how many copies total they were getting or anything like that.

mAcOdIn said:
Yay, got the message while at work that my pre-order(PS3)should be in Wednesday afternoon, at my Gamestop, so essentially it's Yakuza 3 all over again. I live in a pretty small town so it's very common for my city to miss out on certain things on the release date, so if we're getting it Wednesday the rest of the civilized world should also be getting it.

Since I was at work I didn't call them back and ask how many copies total they were getting or anything like that.

Ironically, you didn't miss the release date for this title. Sega changed the released date so the official release date was Weds, instead of the normal Tuesday release day. Why Sega, did that? The same reason why we don't know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop. The world may never know...

2044558169_10225315ca.jpg

hmm just beat the 2nd 'major' boss.. the first one being the lava dude from the demo. it was a little rough.. my party was lv 8-9 and I think the game is unhappy with me not grinding because the boss was lv 28.

And then there are these glowing red squares that look innocent enough.. but when you enter them there's a lv 48 enemy waiting to destroy you.. and you can't escape without using an item that costs money.

Still alive! Oh wait, it's 'victory' now.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Sooooo GAF what is the consensus on this? I am not excited for FFXIII at all... and my brother is picking me up 2 games and Resonance of Fate seems to be a pretty firm "GET IT" for me from what I've seen.

But I'd like to hear what people say about it, this generation has really crushed me in terms of lovable RPGs... the only one that after finishing it and retrospecting on it that I truly enjoyed is Valkyria Chronicles...

Dragon Age was fun to play through but after finishing it I have a bitter taste in my mouth from the ridiculous amount of flaws the title has... Lost Odyssey was great but the game seems to spike "TOO EASY" "TOO HARD" "TOO EASY" far too often and could have used some balancing... and Bethesda is probably one of the most inept developers I've ever seen who has so much unused potential that they seem to throw away every time :/

mjemirzian said:
hmm just beat the 2nd 'major' boss.. the first one being the lava dude from the demo. it was a little rough.. my party was lv 8-9 and I think the game is unhappy with me not grinding because the boss was lv 28.

And then there are these glowing red squares that look innocent enough.. but when you enter them there's a lv 48 enemy waiting to destroy you.. and you can't escape without using an item that costs money.

Still alive! Oh wait, it's 'victory' now.

They changed that? It's purely decorative, but I think still alive was a nice touch. It fits with the theme, and also the difficulty of some of the encounters. Were you able to beat the leader fat barrel thing in that early lvl48 encounter, or did you give up? Nothing I did could keep me in the game for long enough when I found it. I also think you're at the normal level for that chapter. Boss fights are all good little puzzles, and although there were a whole lot of hard ones, I never had to grind. I know you're philosophically against grinding or something so yeah I just want to confirm that the game doesn't require it. Then again, I did fill out the maps, and all the side quests but I don't think that's grinding.

mAcOdIn

lsslave said:
Sooooo GAF what is the consensus on this? I am not excited for FFXIII at all... and my brother is picking me up 2 games and Resonance of Fate seems to be a pretty firm "GET IT" for me from what I've seen.

But I'd like to hear what people say about it, this generation has really crushed me in terms of lovable RPGs... the only one that after finishing it and retrospecting on it that I truly enjoyed is Valkyria Chronicles...

Dragon Age was fun to play through but after finishing it I have a bitter taste in my mouth from the ridiculous amount of flaws the title has... Lost Odyssey was great but the game seems to spike "TOO EASY" "TOO HARD" "TOO EASY" far too often and could have used some balancing... and Bethesda is probably one of the most inept developers I've ever seen who has so much unused potential that they seem to throw away every time :/
Why just VC? I mean, I love that game to death but it was hardly free of standard JRPG/JSRPG flaws, exception being the kinda laid back attitude.

So far I've played everything you have except Lost Odyssey so I can let you know tomorrow night if I think it's similar, but looking at the intro I think it'll be a bit darker than VC, even considering some of the dark stuff that happened in VC. VC had one thing in spades, charm and while I expect RoF to be good, hence hwy I pre-ordered it I don't see it having that same atmosphere.
Crazypanda_85 said:
Ironically, you didn't miss the release date for this title. Sega changed the released date so the official release date was Weds, instead of the normal Tuesday release day. Why Sega, did that? The same reason why we don't know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop. The world may never know...
I just expect this from Sega these days.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
mAcOdIn said:
Why just VC? I mean, I love that game to death but it was hardly free of standard JRPG/JSRPG flaws, exception being the kinda laid back attitude.

So far I've played everything you have except Lost Odyssey so I can let you know tomorrow night if I think it's similar, but looking at the intro I think it'll be a bit darker than VC, even considering some of the dark stuff that happened in VC. VC had one thing in spades, charm and while I expect RoF to be good, hence hwy I pre-ordered it I don't see it having that same atmosphere.

I just expect this from Sega these days.

VC gave me something new while not completely abandoning what I've loved about the genre since I was a child.

FFXIII on the other hand follows FFXII in suit of destroying things for me..

VC just felt... "right" to me. I'm not into SRPGs and I loved the game, my favorite game released this entire console generation (followed closely by No More Heroes)

RoF seems to be exactly what I'm looking for in an RPG, some old school design with some new ideas. It could be terrible but my hype train is about as high for this title as it is for Alpha Protocol :D

chicken_ramen said:
They changed that? It's purely decorative, but I think still alive was a nice touch. It fits with the theme, and also the difficulty of some of the encounters. Were you able to beat the leader fat barrel thing in that early lvl48 encounter, or did you give up? Nothing I did could keep me in the game for long enough when I found it. I also think you're at the normal level for that chapter. Boss fights are all good little puzzles, and although there were a whole lot of hard ones, I never had to grind. I know you're philosophically against grinding or something so yeah I just want to confirm that the game doesn't require it. Then again, I did fill out the maps, and all the side quests but I don't think that's grinding.

I'm still not sure how to hook up the white colored terminals. I got the one near the starting power station. I don't consider doing the side quests grinding.

I didn't try it too much but that lv 48 guy seems pretty easy to interrupt his attacks. So just attack him with whoever he is not targeting and you'll theoretically be able to wear him down, assuming you can keep his henchmen from interfering. I would probably have had better luck if I started switching gear around earlier to boost levels (pass the MG and grenades around, etc.)

I couldn't care less if people grind. I do care if they declare grinding is required when they are just bad at teh vidya.

Hmm.. just did the chapter sidequests while swapping equipment. Meaning everyone got a turn with the MG, grenades.. so everyone got a very quick level boost because previously Vash and Leannes MG were only lv 1, Zephyr's HG was only lv 1, and everyone still had lv 1 hand weaps. So now everyone is lv 18 with only a little weapon swapping.

mjemirzian said:
I'm still not sure how to hook up the white colored terminals. I got the one near the starting power station. I don't consider doing the side quests grinding.

I didn't try it too much but that lv 48 guy seems pretty easy to interrupt his attacks. So just attack him with whoever he is not targeting and you'll theoretically be able to wear him down, assuming you can keep his henchmen from interfering. I would probably have had better luck if I started switching gear around earlier to boost levels (pass the MG and grenades around, etc.)

I couldn't care less if people grind. I do care if they declare grinding is required when they are just bad at teh vidya.

Hmm.. just did the chapter sidequests while swapping equipment. Meaning everyone got a turn with the MG, grenades.. so everyone got a very quick level boost because previously Vash and Leannes MG were only lv 1, Zephyr's HG was only lv 1, and everyone still had lv 1 hand weaps. So now everyone is lv 18 with only a little weapon swapping.

The way leveling works is neat, encourages you to give the weapons to the people least capable to use them. Weird, but it also means that everyone does everything.

The henchmen in that fight were the least of my problems. They were very easy to get rid of before the big guy could even get close, and the splash damage they create on breaking their bomb packs was also helpful, I just had a hard time interrupting him enough to keep him from wiping someone out, and at that point you only have 3 gems, so you'd be down to one and shards, scampering around to pick up the pieces before trying to break something else to refill them. I did try keeping the henchmen around for a cheap refill, but I couldn't keep everyone positioned well enough to stop them from being too big of a hassle.

chicken_ramen said:
The way leveling works is neat, encourages you to give the weapons to the people least capable to use them. Weird, but it also means that everyone does everything.

The henchmen in that fight were the least of my problems. They were very easy to get rid of before the big guy could even get close, and the splash damage they create on breaking their bomb packs was also helpful, I just had a hard time interrupting him enough to keep him from wiping someone out, and at that point you only have 3 gems, so you'd be down to one and shards, scampering around to pick up the pieces before trying to break something else to refill them. I did try keeping the henchmen around for a cheap refill, but I couldn't keep everyone positioned well enough to stop them from being too big of a hassle.

I cleared all of these with a party level of 16-20, no grinding needed. In order to keep your levels up, swap your MG, HG, and Grenades around so everyone has a turn leveling up with them.

Dolled-up Dwellest, level 48, 1250 HP
Reward: Bridal Doll
Kite him with Zephyr.. his melee dive is avoidable if you keep running, so what I did was let him attack out of Zephyrs range, then quickly mash cancel back to zephyr to blast him with 4 charges of scratch damage while he gets back up from his melee dive. Standing far behind Zephyr was Vash who would quickly HG to cash in on the scratch before tubby got too close again. Once Vash fired, I would take Zephyr and kite tubby away from Vash to do it again.

Frag Dwellest, level 44, 900 hp
Reward: Bezel Fragment
Same strategy as the Dolled-up Dwellest..

Rocketfoot, level 28, 1100 HP
Reward: Bezel Fragment
Hide behind the bunker wall while taking out the henchmen, and rocketfoot will keep firing into the bunker. Eventually the bunker will blow up because its cannon does a ton of damage. Break the cannon (front armor), then finish off the last henchmen, then kite rocketfoot to death same as the Dwellers. His attack is shorter range but it has kind of a side swipe so you have to flee away from the swipe. He also has crazy scratch regen so you need to hit him with HG asap after MG. reward was another 1/4 hero fragment.

3 gangsters & some feral dogs.
Reward: Perfect Aid
Kill the dogs first, they die quickly. Then take out the 3 gangsters. Easy.

hmm maybe the game has more of those red hexes with nasty enemies in store? Still alive.. for now.

hmm some more newly learned strategies.. in the demo all I would use is HAs and grenades. Now in the real game, scratch damage is king. If you don't have something scratched up, there's no point using HGs unless the thing is 5% health. Also normal attacks are just as important as HAs.. I don't usually use a HA unless I know there's a part I can pop off to earn that bezel point back. With that in mind, I've noticed that when you are firing at an enemy that is targetting you, they will fire at you while you are trying to charge up. But if you fire at an enemy that is targeting someone else, the enemy will not actually fire at them until you've finished your characters turn. In other words, it's better to use someone who isn't under fire if you're trying to get off normal attacks.

mjemirzian said:
hmm.. I beat the lv 48 dolled-up dwellest (the one on level 6) by kiting him with Zephyr.. his melee dive is avoidable if you keep running, so what I did was let him attack out of Zephyrs range, then quickly mash cancel back to zephyr to blast him with 4 charges of scratch damage while he gets back up from his melee dive. Standing far behind Zephyr was Vash who would quickly HG to cash in on the scratch before tubby got too close again. Once Vash fired, I would take Zephyr and kite tubby away from Vash to do it again. Party level was 18 as I said, although honestly I don't think level matters much in this case.

The reward was a Bridal Doll.. might be able to give it to the shopkeeper.. it has a ! mark on it so it may be for a quest.

I believe there is one more big dwellest on level 5 as well. name is Frag Dwellest, reward is a 1/4 hero fragment. It was funny when he friendly fire one shotted one of his henchmen with a grenade.

There's one last guy on lv 5, a big thing named rocketfoot. hmm that fight was interesting.. hid behind the bunker wall while taking out the henchmen, rocketfoot just kept firing into the bunker.. eventually the bunker blew up though because the cannon does a ton of damage. I had to break the cannon (front armor), then finish off the last henchmen, then kite rocketfoot to death. his attack is shorter range but it has kind of a side swipe so you have to flee away from the swipe.. and he also has crazy scratch regen so you need to hit him with HG asap after MG. reward was another 1/4 hero fragment.

hmm maybe the game has more of those red hexes with nasty enemies in store? Still alive.. for now.

Yeah there are, I went back to fighting them in chapter 5, and by then that first guy was still a pain but much more manageable. I probably had a much better hold on the battle system by then too. From memory I found not breaking his gun arm important, being a ranged attack it can take along time to charge up if you keep good distance and is also very easy to dodge. Once the gun is broken he will always close the gap and the physical move charges quite fast. It still took some time and good positioning but wasn't that hard of a slog. I was up to early 20s I think.

There are some even better fights later that had me tearing out hair. The battle system is just so good. It takes a very small number of simple tools and combines them in very interesting ways.

chicken_ramen said:
There are some even better fights later that had me tearing out hair. The battle system is just so good. It takes a very small number of simple tools and combines them in very interesting ways.

I am looking forward to the challenge, barring things that I've already heard break the game (lv 100 MGs doing full scratch damage in one attack..)

atomsk

Party Pooper
huh, gamefly actually shipped this out today. usually new releases are a crap shoot.

now i know what i'm doing until Strange Journey comes out :lol

Dead

well not really...yet
Man I have $20 Best Buy from reward zone to use, but it doesn't look like they will have the game today :\

zurra

ps3

their website has the ps3 version listed as releasing on 3/17 and 360 on 3/16 for whatever reason, though... and now both are backordered. maybe i'll get boned this evening and finally have a chance to flip a table in public.

Dead

well not really...yet
hmm well Gamestop said they should be getting the game in about an hour, so hopefully Best Buy gets it out this afternoon as well.

Gamestop (Louisiana) has it in. Try calling in the afternoons. UPS should be dropping them off : D going to pick it up after work unless best buy magically put up a special RZ offer :lol.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Got mine! 360 version, so hopefully it plays well. I had no problems with FFXIII so, maybe I just can't see any flaws. :lol

survivor

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
Got mine! 360 version, so hopefully it plays well. I had no problems with FFXIII so, maybe I just can't see any flaws. :lol
I assume US? Did you see if there were any PS3 copies?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I just got my copy from my local gamestop, they just got it in.

Installing it (PS3 ver) :D

And yes, the game does have both English and Japanese voices, its on the menus.

-DarKaoZ- said:
I just got my copy from my local gamestop, they just got it in.

Installing it (PS3 ver) :D

And yes, the game does have both English and Japanese voices, its on the menus.

Is the install optional?

Also, does selecting Japanese change Leanne's name?

jiien

Just got a call from my GameCrazy, where I had it preordered, and the copy is in today. Will be picking it up in a few hours. WOO.

If/when I open it up and start playing, hopefully I can help answer some questions. Still debating whether or not to hold off on this while I finish up FFXIII.

Dead

well not really...yet
Well I gave in. Just bought it at Gamestop for 360, traded in Darksiders and got $30 credit. Guess Ill save the BB reward bucks for GOWIII or something else

survivor

Banned
RRRAAAGGGEEE

Just called Gamestop and the dude that answered said they already got the 360 version, but not the PS3 version. First he said it was sold out, but then I was like I have a damn pre-order. Then he just said they probably didn't even receive any PS3 copies cause it doesn't look like they sold any.

Just got off the phone with Amazon customer service, and he said the internal ship date had always been the 17th.

I am sort of pissed that amazon charged me early Tuesday morning knowing that was the case.

blackflag

I just picked up the PS3 version at Gamestop. Didn't have a preorder but they had extras. Hadn't heard anything about the game but this thread sold me on it.

Gonna at least start it tonight but I still need to finish my first GOW3 playthough.

survivor said:
RRRAAAGGGEEE

Just called Gamestop and the dude that answered said they already got the 360 version, but not the PS3 version. First he said it was sold out, but then I was like I have a damn pre-order. Then he just said they probably didn't even receive any PS3 copies cause it doesn't look like they sold any.

It's a conspiracy!

survivor said:
RRRAAAGGGEEE

That's odd. The Gamestop near me has more PS3 versions but no 360.

hayama987

So I'm finishing up ff13, and I want to pick up this game after. I have 360 and ps3 and no performance towards either, is there any consensuses on which version to buy yet?

Sora_N

survivor said:
PS3 or 360 version? It seems a lot of stores only have 360 version for some reason.

The TRU I work at only has the 360 one too...wtf is up with that. The EB I preordered at said they won't get until tomorrow and they said people only have until closing that night to pick it up after they get called, I asked them to hold it until Friday (can't go due to classes). Next time I won't expect any non-big releases to come out on time just so I won't get mad...

survivor said:
RRRAAAGGGEEE

Same thing. My preorder is paid in full too! RAAAAAAAAGE!!!

Oh well, I'll go in tomorrow and see if they have it, I suppose.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Going to grab the PS3 version on Monday if my check gets in then! Pretty damn excited for the game, but meanwhile I'm going to play me some Soul Silver. Liking the RoF Touch alot, I'd actually I'd only get an iPod touch if it was that one since I wouldn't use it and just have it on display. :lol

Top Bottom