• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

survivor

Banned
radiantdreamer said:
Same thing. My preorder is paid in full too! RAAAAAAAAGE!!!

Oh well, I'll go in tomorrow and see if they have it, I suppose.
Ya I payed full price too so I wanna know about this 48 hours deal with Gamestop. What will exactly happen if I don't pick my game after 48 hours?

Median

My EB didn't get any PS3 copies and we got just enough to cover our 360 preorders. The PS3 version is dated for tomorrow in our system for whatever reason.

At last, I was able to purchase my copy from work not to long ago. Only 2 came in, for each console including my order and a 360 order. Optional 5GB install is worth it for the music that accompanies the game. Will post impressions....later. I think I may just go right ahead and order the 6 CD OST from play-asia come pay day.

survivor

Banned
Game Informer Review
Overall, Resonance of Fate may appeal to the JRPG connoisseur who is looking for an interesting and challenging new take on combat. Others most likely will be thrown off by the silliness, steep learning curve, required grinding, and other pains – especially when there are so many recent well-rounded RPGs out there.
Score: 6.75
Looks like RoF is worse than Pokemon HG/SS.

mjc

Overall, Resonance of Fate may appeal to the JRPG connoisseur who is looking for an interesting and challenging new take on combat. Others most likely will be thrown off by the silliness, steep learning curve, required grinding, and other pains – especially when there are so many recent well-rounded RPGs out there.

Does he view this as a bad thing? Silliness is welcome to me as well since its a nice change of pace. Bring on the learning curve too.

Game Informer Review said:
Also be aware that this game is extremely wacky, only moving in a more serious direction later on. The worst offender is horndog team leader Vashyron, who has no bones about expressing his love for looking up skirts and cartoonishly ogling big-chested women.

I'm so getting this game.

mjc said:
Does he view this as a bad thing? Silliness is welcome to me as well since its a nice change of pace. Bring on the learning curve too.

Works like this: if it's a niche title people complain about accessibility. If it's for everyone they complain about game design (FFXIII) or graphics (anything for Wii).

mjc said:

Honestly I read that quote as a nod as to why I wanted to purchase this very game.

zlatko

Banned
I got about 2 hours in. Knowing all the ins and outs of the battle system now from the tutorial you can do has blown my mind on how varied fights can be. It seems it is a game where you can't watch TV while you grind, because just smashing X the game will not play itself lol.

I'm busy knocking a few rounds back and forth on SF4 that came in with a buddy, but will try to get a more detailed consensus of the first few hours later.

1) Lip syncing isn't FF game quality, but it tends to be on spot for the most part.

2) Voice acting is great in English which is hard to say since most JRPGs this gen have not stepped it up in that department.

3) The dialogue is great. The few serious scenes have really well written parts and the few funny lines have been worth smiling or giggling at. Unlike something like SO4 where the funny parts make you feel sick to your stomach that you are "x years old" and playing something this childish for dialogue. *shudders at SO4 dialogue*

4) Battles are awesome! Nothing super hard yet.

5) World map system is interesting and leaves room for exploration in a unique way.(Look at OP and vids for more info on that, but I'm just here to say it is a great idea)

6) Creating items, customizing weapons, and changing clothes are all well done. My Zephyr looks like a totally hung over type of guy and Vashyron has this Michael Jackson moon walker style going for him. :lol The weapon and item creating seems like it COULD really lead to you need to have "x attachments" in order to beat this boss, because the earlier ones weigh you down apparently but give you more bullets or faster charging.(More on this later to see if it'll be a game where you hold onto everything you get)

7) NPCs in town are well voiced and although they usually have only 1 line of dialogue it isn't too cheesy or without feeling like that person belongs where they are.

8) Every piece of music not only fits where it's put but is someones best work ever as a videogame music composer. Big props to the person in charge of this soundtrack.

That's about all I can comment on for the first 2 hours, but the big thing that's got me so blown away is even with all the info about the battle system I had and the demo experience it's still insane to learn all what the tutorial covered that I had overlooked. Things like cover shooting, raising enemies into the air for extra turns, then smashing them to the ground to break parts and extra damage...any RPG fan will fall in love with this really fast I think.

Does the tutorial in the game explain the battle system in a good way? Are there any points left out, or any complicated things whichi you might not get at the beginning? Is it onyl text, or maybe video + battle example, etc.?

survivor

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Compared to pokemon of course but then again most games would be as well based on average review scores. Speaking of which I hope gametrailers has their review up soon, that will be rather interesting to watch.
You see I love Pokemon games and probably value them above RoF, but it's really ridiculous that in the review RoF gets docked points because battles can be really easy and repetitive which is pretty much what happens in every Pokemon game.

But whatever, both reviews were written by 2 different people so I probably shouldn't be comparing them in the first place.

Dead

well not really...yet
zlatko said:
I got about 2 hours in. Knowing all the ins and outs of the battle system now from the tutorial you can do has blown my mind on how varied fights can be. It seems it is a game where you can't watch TV while you grind, because just smashing X the game will not play itself lol.

I'm busy knocking a few rounds back and forth on SF4 that came in with a buddy, but will try to get a more detailed consensus of the first few hours later.

1) Lip syncing isn't FF game quality, but it tends to be on spot for the most part.

2) Voice acting is great in English which is hard to say since most JRPGs this gen have not stepped it up in that department.

3) The dialogue is great. The few serious scenes have really well written parts and the few funny lines have been worth smiling or giggling at. Unlike something like SO4 where the funny parts make you feel sick to your stomach that you are "x years old" and playing something this childish for dialogue. *shudders at SO4 dialogue*

4) Battles are awesome! Nothing super hard yet.

5) World map system is interesting and leaves room for exploration in a unique way.(Look at OP and vids for more info on that, but I'm just here to say it is a great idea)

6) Creating items, customizing weapons, and changing clothes are all well done. My Zephyr looks like a totally hung over type of guy and Vashyron has this Michael Jackson moon walker style going for him. :lol The weapon and item creating seems like it COULD really lead to you need to have "x attachments" in order to beat this boss, because the earlier ones weigh you down apparently but give you more bullets or faster charging.(More on this later to see if it'll be a game where you hold onto everything you get)

7) NPCs in town are well voiced and although they usually have only 1 line of dialogue it isn't too cheesy or without feeling like that person belongs where they are.

8) Every piece of music not only fits where it's put but is someones best work ever as a videogame music composer. Big props to the person in charge of this soundtrack.

That's about all I can comment on for the first 2 hours, but the big thing that's got me so blown away is even with all the info about the battle system I had and the demo experience it's still insane to learn all what the tutorial covered that I had overlooked. Things like cover shooting, raising enemies into the air for extra turns, then smashing them to the ground to break parts and extra damage...any RPG fan will fall in love with this really fast I think.
^ you pretty much summed up how I feel after a couple of hours as well.

Great VAs for the 3 leads, battle system is BOSS, world map exploration is pretty cool, weapon and appearance customization out of the ass, etc. I'm definitely going to have fun with this one, unlike SO4.

Dead

well not really...yet
Castor Krieg said:
Does the tutorial in the game explain the battle system in a good way? Are there any points left out, or any complicated things whichi you might not get at the beginning? Is it onyl text, or maybe video + battle example, etc.?
There is an arena and a guy who will give you a list of tutorials. 15 or so steps, text explanation + actual in combat training for every single one of them

zlatko

Banned
Dead said:
There is an arena and a guy who will give you a list of tutorials. 15 or so steps, text explanation + actual in combat training for every single one of them

Yup and to add to this the tutorial is extensive and you can repeat any part of it as much as you want if you feel you aren't comfortable with it yet. The way it sets itself up is very well done to go from basic things to more complex---honestly I'd find it hard for anyone to be confused by the games system once you do this and read it. If you have a problem retaining information then you might be in trouble, but reread everything twice if that's the case.

When I played the demo in Japanese I had no clue when you are closer to enemies your meter fills up faster to attack, so it is important to set your anchor line towards enemies before you start doing John Woo action attacks so you get the most out of your damage per turn.

Castor Krieg said:

The tutorial is adequate for a basic understanding, but it's missing an advanced section. If you want to master the game you'll have to look elsewhere.

Also talk to the old man that hangs out in front of your base for some more advice.

Install size is like 6GB.

on the back of the box it says it supports 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. I unticked 720p and 1080i and it doesn't go to 1080p but revert to 480p? WTF.

Oh i see what they did
they showed a bunch of outputs but in red that's the one it can only use. WTF.

Kronotech

I'm surprised there isn't more hoopla regarding this game. Everyone still blasting through FFXIII like I am?

I'm looking at this game after my previous is done with.

teekun

Kronotech said:
I'm surprised there isn't more hoopla regarding this game. Everyone still blasting through FFXIII like I am?

I'm looking at this game after my previous is done with.

Yeah. Lucky for me (I guess) it doesn't come out for another week here, so that gives me more time to work through FFXIII before I dig into RoF. I'm just glad that I've actually got two good RPGs to play in a row. It's about time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DMPrince said:
ps3. no inside art. b/w manual. used bink for their video compression. wtf

Yeah... they used the same videos for both systems... meh.
Found a copy though after trying two stores. Sega undershipped for reals.

Clevinger said:
This game is a lot of fun. I wish more rpgers knew/cared about it.

It will probably end up like Valkyria Chronicles, a slow burn to 200,000 units sold. Of course, the vast majority of those units will be sold at $20. I don't know how Sega thinks they can make money releasing games when they do. :lol

Kagari said:
Yeah... they used the same videos for both systems... meh.

Well Sega, I guess I'm going to be one of those $20 guys then. Well done! :lol

Tenkei

I picked up both this and Infinite Space today. I was debating between starting RoF or IS after dinner, but the TV's in use right now, so my choice was made for me! :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Unknown Soldier said:
It will probably end up like Valkyria Chronicles, a slow burn to 200,000 units sold. Of course, the vast majority of those units will be sold at $20. I don't know how Sega thinks they can make money releasing games when they do. :lol

Well Sega, I guess I'm going to be one of those $20 guys then. Well done! :lol

There's a comparison site around somewhere. You can see the video macroblocking :(

can someone explain to me how to do Tri-Attack?

Oh and tutorial is messed up it's like the clock overlay on xmb :Lol.

EDIT:
Condition Critical. :lol.

EDIT: got it. confusing tutorial.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
DMPrince said:
can someone explain to me how to do Tri-Attack?

Oh and tutorial is messed up it's like the clock overlay on xmb :Lol.
Build up at least 3-4 Resonance, then press Square then Triangle. Can't wait to get this next week!

Poking around Chapter 5, where you can access Level 7/8. It's one of those RPGs where you can access areas ahead of the game and end up facing enemies twice your level. Started poking around the Cranktown area on level 7 (the opposite direction of where you're supposed to go, in other words) and got into a random encounter with two lv 44 frag dewllests and some other enemies.. and my party is still lv 22.

survivor

Banned
mjemirzian said:
Poking around Chapter 5, where you can access Level 7/8. It's one of those RPGs where you can access areas ahead of the game and end up facing enemies twice your level. Started poking around the Cranktown area on level 7 (the opposite direction of where you're supposed to go, in other words) and got into a random encounter with two lv 44 frag dewllests and some other enemies.. and my party is still lv 22.
So did you get annihilated or did you stand a chance? Just wanna know if a 10-20 level difference means it's one hit kill for your entire party. Also is the Game Informer right by saying in some dungeons, the enemies will be around your level, but the boss will be double your level?

InfiniteNine said:
Build up at least 3-4 Resonance, then press Square then Triangle. Can't wait to get this next week!

You can do it with just one resonance, each resonance will make you move one more point around the triangle. Also if the target isn't in the middle only two people will take part I think, I'll have to check that. Figuring out when to use this took longer than anything else for me. The tutorial explains the basics of actually doing one, but fitting it into the strategy took a few chapters for me.

survivor said:
So did you get annihilated or did you stand a chance? Just wanna know if a 10-20 level difference means it's one hit kill for your entire party. Also is the Game Informer right by saying in some dungeons, the enemies will be around your level, but the boss will be double your level?

It's definitely doable, earlier in the thread mjemirzian and I talked about taking out the first danger zone you'll probably come across he did it in the late teens and I did in the early twenties, but the enemy was level 48. Bosses tend to be a good deal higher level than regular enemies, that's not the game telling you you need to be the same level to stand a chance, but I can see how someone might read it that way. They tend to have more hitpoints, in their bodies and in their shielding, and they tend to do a bit more damage, but none of the ones I fought were one shotting anyone, maybe two shotting people, but losing all your health is only a giant problem when you're low on crystals. It will crack and break up some crystals, but it won't be game over.

survivor said:

hmm.. I didn't try because you can flee from all random encounters, but I'll probably give it a shot.

I did manage to beat all of the Ch 3-4 danger zone spots that have tough enemies (see my previous posts on this thread)

Yes the bosses will be high level but it doesn't really mean much. I'd guess level factors into damage and possibly skill activation.

There's a ch 5 danger zone on level 7, but it's pretty pathetic.. just has 3 lv 19 gangsters.

Anyone looking for a decent review should check this one out:

http://rpgfan.com/reviews/End_of_Eternity/index.html

So how's the game so far? There are no reviews so I'm relying on you guys for impressions! :D

But also, does it have a lot of exploration and role-playing in it, like cities, areas to explore, etc. Or is it like a SRPG where you point and click to the areas you want to go?

Thanks!

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
So how's the game so far? There are no reviews so I'm relying on you guys for impressions! :D

But also, does it have a lot of exploration and role-playing in it, like cities, areas to explore, etc. Or is it like a SRPG where you point and click to the areas you want to go?

Thanks!

Not much exploration in what I'd think of as the traditional sense. Areas are very simple. There are towns, if that makes things better. There is a 'world map' which is split into floors which you open up and can move a pointer around on. The pointer may as well be a running guy, but it's not. Looking at it from the reverse direction, the running guy in most JRPGs is just a pointer anyway. While moving the pointer you will be attacked by random monsters. Dungeons also have no real exploration, they're a bunch of monster fight rooms linked together. Theres branching paths with treasure and stuff.

The world design is very coherent and interesting, but you won't really be wandering around in it. You will be opening up the map by placing pieces, finding treasure and fighting things, but is that really exploration when it's done on a hex grid and with a pointer? I don't know. I don't think so but it certainly didn't bother me. The only JRPG I can think of with actual exploration right now is FFXII, and Skies maybe? Most are just maps where you slide a pointer around, or click from place to place. This is like that with some tile placing stuff.

edit: I've confused myself by waffling on about irrelevant crap. Short answer: It's more like a regular JRPG than a SRPG. Better because theres usually challenging fights to do and treasure to pick up outside of the places you are told to go.

chicken_ramen said:
Not much exploration in what I'd think of as the traditional sense. Areas are very simple. There are towns, if that makes things better. There is a 'world map' which is split into floors which you open up and can move a pointer around on. While moving the pointer you will be attacked by random monsters. Dungeons also have no real exploration, they're a bunch of monster fight rooms linked together.

The world design is very coherent and interesting, but you won't really be wandering around in it. You will be opening up the map by placing pieces, finding treasure and fighting things, but is that really exploration when it's done on a hex grid and with a pointer? I don't know. I don't think so but it certainly didn't bother me. The only JRPG I can think of with actual exploration right now is FFXII, and Skies maybe?
Is this about right, it's like Valkyrie Profile 2?

If so, that's fine by me.

jiien

Woo, picked it up earlier today. Haha, the GameCrazy I got it at literally only had two preorders for this game: mine, and a store employee's. And this isn't a quiet area/store either, it had over 500 preorders for MW2...poor RoF. I wish it got more love. Looks like it deserves it.

jiien said:
Woo, picked it up earlier today. Haha, the GameCrazy I got it at literally only had two preorders for this game: mine, and a store employee's. And this isn't a quiet area/store either, it had over 500 preorders for MW2...poor RoF. I wish it got more love. Looks like it deserves it.
Yeah. The Best Buys I went to said they're only getting in two copies! Just two! While they have hundreds of FFXIII's everywhere.

Sega sent this game to die.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah. The Best Buys I went to said they're only getting in two copies! Just two! While they have hundreds of FFXIII's everywhere.

Sega sent this game to die.

Which is a shame because this is a good title. Sega did, however, try to promote Valkyria Chronicles but since your average gamer didn't realize how great of a game it was, it didn't sell. I think Sega realize with the current market, that this title is aimed at a niche market so they are trying to be careful and not produce too many copies and put too much funding behind this title. Is it wrong? Yes. Is it a smart business move? Kindof.

Top Bottom