• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn (Titanfall, Stig) making 3rd person action/adven Star Wars game w/ EA, UE4

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just double-checked this thread and can;t see a thread or comment about this tweet: https://twitter.com/VG_Dave/status/727900327253520384

Yea didn't Amy retweet that? Why aren't people talking about the Bioware game, we could be getting a Kotor spiritual successor.

Also you people need to stop asking for Republic Commando, Kotor, and Jedi Knight sequels. We are not getting sequels to non-cannon games ever.

I'd be down for a third person action adventure game but not a third person shooter type one.

They both might be 3rd person but I highly doubt they are both shooters. One of them will almost certainly be lightsaber-based combat.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yea didn't Amy retweet that? Why aren't people talking about the Bioware game, we could be getting a Kotor spiritual successor.

Also you people need to stop asking for Republic Commando, Kotor, Jedi Knight sequels. We are not getting sequels to non-cannon games ever.
The last time BioWare was asked about their Star Wars game, they said it was a reference to SWTOR and that they were too busy with other projects to make something else.

Maybe that changed eventually, but as of the last update, this is not a new game.

"And more" might also be a reference to their other planned mobile titles.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The last time BioWare was asked about their Star Wars game, they said it was a reference to SWTOR and that they were too busy with other projects to make something else.

Maybe that changed eventually, but as of the last update, this is not a new game.

"And more" might also be a reference to their other planned mobile titles.

Maybe, but there was nothing definitive in that nugget so I'm gonna keep the faith for now.

With this and Amy Hennig's game we could have some really amazing star wars games coming up. I'm happy that EA isn't using the license to just churn out trash.

You just put up a neon sign that says 'Battlefront shitposting here'

Kinyou

With this and Amy Hennig's game we could have some really amazing star wars games coming up. I'm happy that EA isn't using the license to just churn out trash.

Markitron

Someone remind me why 1313 was canceled.

It started development before the Disney buyout. When they came in they scrapped everything. It may have still come out if it was further along but that was obviously not the case.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Holy Christ this might be the first game I pre-order since The Witcher 3. Respawn + Star Wars= perfection. And here I was the other day just talking about how I bet Respawn could make a killer MMX reboot..... this will suffice.

poodaddy

Gold Member
A lot of publishers are learning from the Arkham games.

Thank god. The Dark times are ending! Now when are we gonna get the Venom, Punisher, Deadpool, and Wolverine games that we deserve and that I've been pining for the better part of three decades?

Markitron

Thank god. The Dark times are ending! Now when are we gonna get the Venom, Punisher, Deadpool, and Wolverine games that we deserve and that I've been pining for the better part of three decades?

There are still gonna be a lot of trash licensed games, but nowadays they seem more limited to mobile and/or children's films at least.

Also, I haven't played it myself, but didn't everyone like that 2009 Wolverine game from Raven?

poodaddy

Gold Member
There are still gonna be a lot of trash licensed games, but nowadays they seem more limited to mobile and/or children's films at least.

Also, I haven't played it myself, but didn't everyone like that 2009 Wolverine game from Raven?

Oh yeah that game was great don't get me wrong, it was just so short though and I feel it was inevitably harmed, through no fault of Raven's mind you, by being inexorably linked to the terrible film's plot and set pieces. A spiritual sequel to the game released today would hopefully be based on either the comics, or do what Arkham did and create a stand alone video game universe for some more freedom with the script.

But yeah that game was cool.

Epcott

So this was the other Star Wars game being worked on? Or is there a third? Or am I thinking of the VR game? I can't keep up anymore.

Markitron

Link? They can easily make a game inside of the JK universe without it being a sequel.

The JK Universe is full of references and links to the old EU and has some pretty mental stuff of it's own. I don't see Jerec, Luke's Jedi Temple and Kyle Katarn (who stole the Death Star plans) fitting into the new timeline. They are not going to put time and resources into a game from the old cannon.

So this was the other Star Wars game being worked on? Or is there a third? Or am I thinking of the VR game? I can't keep up anymore.

There's some kind of Battlefront VR experience coming to PSVR, but nobody knows exactly what it is yet, it may not even be a game. Along with Visceral and Respawn's games, that makes 3 confirmed upcoming SW games.

Epcott

There's some kind of Battlefront VR experience coming to PSVR, but nobody knows exactly what it is yet, it may not even be a game. Along with Visceral and Respawn's games, that makes 3 confirmed upcoming SW games.

Great! The more SW games the better!

How's it a knee jerk reaction, because I don't agree with you?

You did kinda imply that it should be like the old games by saying "Give us a new Jedi Knight" then going on about why the old games were so great.

Saying new jedi knight, is not the same thing as saying it should be like the old games. Get real.

I explained how the old games were. There is a vast difference in that.

It's a knee jerk reaction because you assume without thought. You read into it and then just logically just assert what other people meant. You didn't understand what I meant at all.

Kolx

They join our other great studios – Visceral Games, DICE, Capital Games, BioWare, Motive and more – who are currently working on Star Wars projects

Why does the article mention this casually? Did we know this before?
Does that mean Bioware is making an RPG star wars game? Or are they just helping other studios?

Watch it be a fucking multiplayer focused shooter.

watch it be something completely not that.

I don't doubt mutliplayer, but I very heavily doubt it to focus on shooting mechanics... There aren't enough guns in the star wars universe to make an effective shooter. Even Republic Commando was slower paced for an FPS and this game will likely have force powers and lightsabres... So yeah, I am calling NOT a "fucking multiplayer focused shooter"

Even if its a revival of that 1313 game... Shooter elements will not be the primary focus. Melee and force powers likely will though. Likely a more adventure focused Force Unleashed.

If you told me the guys who made Battlefield and Call of Duty were making star wars games 10 years ago I'd laugh in your face. This is insane.

Top Bottom