• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn (Titanfall, Stig) making 3rd person action/adven Star Wars game w/ EA, UE4

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no, please don't be a Jedi game. Nothing is worse in the Star Wars franchise than Jedi/Sith and the subsequent light saber fighting. The expansion and focus on force users in the EU really killed any of the EU's potential.

You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think this will not be heavily multiplayer focused.

The only question is whether it will be online-only or not.

Hubble

I am excited. Vince knows what makes great games and not the typical factory produced games year by year. If his team gets the resources, they can be fantastic.

theWB27

If he can do something as grandiose as GOW3 I'm all in. Not really a star wars fan, but I appreciate the universe. Can't wait.

CamHostage

please don't be a shooter
Isn't stig from god of war? Anyway, as long as it's sp I'm hyped.

He's known for directing God of War 3, but Stig came up through the ranks as an Art Director, so hopefully he was hired on for his bold creative vision and not just for his credits in making big, burly punch-em-ups. Respawn is probably a more pidgeonholed company (since more's riding on their financial shoulders, and also since the core team has been making FPSes for well over a decade and have tech oriented towards that genre) but they too could be looking for a chance to expand their portfolio. So could be anything.

I'm hoping for SP as well (Battlefront has that covered for a while, and if somebody's going to make a SW racer or some other type of game then this isn't the team I'd look to first), but it's a great big galaxy with lots of room to play with different game concepts.

Compsiox

Banned
Please don't go out of business for some reason. I've heard so much of this happening. Studios taking up a licensed project then have incredible delays and then boom it's too late. No more funding. Dead.

Surfinn

Tell me it's a game in the Jedi Knight franchise. Please.. is it possible? Hope there's a major focus on saber dueling and force powers that aren't just simply pressing a button.

Super pumped!

Give us a new Jedi Knight.

7iwjWbF.gif
GracefulNippyDonkey.gif
7WKAHq5.jpg
iok0DWw.gifv
zCmU72D.gif
arYfq5V.gif

Acrobatic lightsaber combat. WASD determines your movement, and the mouse is aiming of your upper torso. This allows 360 degrees of saber slashing when moving in any direction.

You can kick, roll, dodge, wall jump, backflip, lounge, forward stab, lightsaber clinch. You can do somersaults, you can wall run.
There are single, dual handed and double wielded lightsabers. Servers were played with both forces powers on and off. You had to choose.
And it sort of added up into making your own character. Even though Jedi Outcast and Academy where not real RPGs, they had that customized element that allowed you to identify with your character. Not only that, but they nailed the super tight sensation of wielding a lightsaber better than any game. there was force and feedback to your swings, and your lightsaber had different forms. that had different strengths and weaknesses.

The Force Unleashed was flashy, but misunderstood what what made Jedi Knight such fantastic star wars games. you would wack many times at stormtroopers, and you cannot have that. The whole point of a lightsaber is that its supposed to carve through bodies like butter. In Force Unleashed it felt like wack a mole with a glowing dildo. It killed the entire thing right there.

Customize your own character online. From race, gender, hairstyle to lightsaber hilts and outfits. This is how you should incentive long term play. Make years worth of cool cosmetics to unlock, and keep the game skill based (not based on gear or levels).
This is also how you should seek to monetize the game. Keep map packs and such free for all players. Make more money by adding cool outfits and optional cosmetic to a store. This makes sure that the playerbase is not separated by some people not own the dlc pass, and people are more incentivized to want to buy stuff when they don't feel forced to buy it.
If the game has a lot of cool outfits, robes, boots, lightsaber hilts and apperance options, nobody is going to complain if you try to make money post-launch by adding this sort of items in the cash shop.

It's one of the best online games I have ever played, and the way the community played this one was the stuff of legends. Due to its quake 3 nature it was easy as pie to make new skins and drop them into the game. There is no way developers can keep up with what the community wants, so the community was able to make tons of great new character models, maps and modes. Everything from dismemberment, to gameplay mods that made the game play more like the movies and so on.
Going up to another player and pressing K would challenge them to a duel in the middle of the server. If they accept, both parties become unvulnerable until one of them is dead. What would happen is that other people on the server would stop fighting, and just join around in a circle and watch the two guys fight. Many clans had initiatives where you had to beat their best guys in a duel to join their clan.

Many servers where "chat servers" where fighting Free for all was forbidden. You could only duel each other, and people who didn't follow the rules would get penalized. They would try and kill people when no mods were watching, and this created massive amounts of drama.
The games animations also became a sort of emote system. people would say it was proper etiquette to bow before beginning the duel to signalize that they were ready. But there is no bowing animation in the jedi knight games. So people would just crouch.
In the beginning it looks silly and extremely nerdy, but once everyone is doing it, you end up doing it to.
Very few game has entrenched such a strong dedicated online culture. There is no online sword based martial arts games like this one.
It has a speed and momentum not found in anything else you have played. Mirage and For Honor are not going to be games that tap into what these games tapped into either.
You could have 24-30 players with glowsticks backflipping through the air like techno vikings on meth. it would be impossible to see what was going on due to the sheer carnage and dismembered body parts. Its the most glorious thing you have ever seen, when you darth maul twirl into a mosh pit of jedis and siths who just keep throwing themselves into random saber thrusts, low sweeps and overhead forward attacks. heads and limbs flying everywhere.

It became fashionable for players to have a padawan/apprentice. a sort of community driven nerd intiative for experienced players to teach newer players how to play. The game, like virtually all others had animation cancelling that could be exploited, overpowered moves when turning mouse sensitivity up to untold levels. ping was an important factor, and playing mayweather conservatively, where you try to "out box" your opponent could frustrate them into making a mistake.
some people would be one trick ponys who would spend all their time in a single lightsaber stance. The heavy was popular for the single saber. It was slow but had high damage. you could kill someone in a single direct hit if it was perfect, but it required massive precision and understanding the opponents movement. the large slow swings left you open to the faster styles.
The dual handed style was seen as noob style. A skill based game like JKA also had a lot of elitism and looking down on people who didnt play right.
It was very interesting because it was the community who created this culture, these customs and traditions and it shaped the game. The community ended up playing the game in a very different way from the way it was intended.
Because clans would run their own servers, they would have their own rulesets. Seeing shooting weapons were almost never the case. But Jedi Knight doesn't need lasers and pistols. it wasn't what was fun. It was the acrobatic fantasy of being a space samurai ninja wizard that was so incredible.

A new Jedi Knight game could be incredible popular. Don't go the route of other EA titles where you split up the community with DLC. That is self sabotage.
Embrace mods. If you do, you'll garner a different sort of loyalty. Content makers are making content for your game. If you do release maps, make them free.

If you're going to do a progression system like COD, don't make more powerful items, weapons and abillities be unlocked through higher progression. Keep it cosmetic. Make it so that when you reach level 20 on your account, you unlock a new race like Randorian or whatever the hell Yoda is.
Keeping the game skill based makes sure that people who don't have a lot of time can have fun.
Make way for the tools. Allow people to host their own servers, make their own rulesets and embrace the imersion. It's time to have maps with day/night cycles and weather effects. It's time to prioritize a good netcode. Forget all those useless bells and whistles like vehicles and AT-AT walkers.
Just make a great saber combat system. Just allow 32 players to go at it until they develop epilepsi. Don't make this half baked star wars fan service experience that does 10 different things mediocre. Just make a really focused experience that is terrific at that one thing. Star Wars games often fall into this pit where they try to do too much.
People want breathe and variety, (lots of maps, lots of gameplay) but they also want high quality, and balance and polish, and that is only achieved through a focused experience.

Jito

Banned

Unpopular opinion but no, those gifs look pretty terrible, players flying around with lightsabers flying all over the place, it's like watching the prequel films again.

Unpopular opinion but no, those gifs look pretty terrible, players flying around with lightsabers flying all over the place, it's like watching the prequel films again.

The games are very old and runs on a old engine. I don't think a new interpretation of the series would have that such of Jumps and physics. It's a shame you go right for the knee jerk reaction and doesn't take the limitations od Q3A engine into consideration.
I didn't try to imply that a new version of the game would need to take everything 1:1.

scitek

So, if this is a third person shooter, what is the game Visceral has been working on with Any Hennig? I was expecting that one to be Uncharted-esque.

Jito

Banned
The games are very old and runs on a old engine. I don't think a new interpretation of the series would have that such of Jumps and physics. It's a shame you go right for the knee jerk reaction and doesn't take the limitations od Q3A engine into consideration.
I didn't try to imply that a new version of the game would need to take everything 1:1.

How's it a knee jerk reaction, because I don't agree with you?

You did kinda imply that it should be like the old games by saying "Give us a new Jedi Knight" then going on about why the old games were so great.

Mortemis

Banned
Sounds awesome. Hard to get excited for something that' probably won't come for a long ass time, but a big budget SW action adventure game is something I've been craving for.

Phamit

Please don't go out of business for some reason. I've heard so much of this happening. Studios taking up a licensed project then have incredible delays and then boom it's too late. No more funding. Dead.

Respawn seem to have a safe second project with Titanfall, so it would lower the chance to go completely out of Business

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Fuckin aye, I wouldn't give two shits if EA put every developer on making SW games, I want MORE. Especially as we only had two real ones in the entire last generation (TFU 1&2). TOR, SW Kinect and the Lego games don't count because reasons.

Top Bottom