• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this is why I say playing imports on a PAL SNES is quite a mess even with a flashcart. It's a great looking console but for ease of use maybe a Super Famicom or a US SNES would be easier.

It is tempting to pick up a Famicom off eBay. Problem is I'd then have to sort out a UK compatible power supply and spend another £30 on a compatible scart cable, whereas a mod kit costs a couple quid and I'm handy with a soldering ion.

I'll see what I can get from what I already have. If it's lousy I'll go another route.

Um,so,like,can I pay you to do one for me....

(always wanted an RGB fami twin)

I'll do it for a stack of Bvms.

I'll check back in once I finish the mod. If it goes well I may look into potentially doing a few more.

I often think about doing modding as a side business but it's so tedious and it doesn't seem like I'd make enough $$ to be worth giving up my free time.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'll do it for a stack of Bvms.

I'll check back in once I finish the mod. If it goes well I may look into potentially doing a few more.

I often think about doing modding as a side business but it's so tedious and it doesn't seem like I'd make enough $$ to be worth giving up my free time.
Not to mention nobody will be crazy enough to ship up to Canada when there are cheaper modders in the US.

BTails

Pshh, Torontonians. Calgary represent!

I probably fly to Toronto 5 times a year for work. It's a lovely city, despite being so muggy during summer

Wait are you saying you do NES RGB mods and live in Canada? Do you happen to be in Ontario?

Yup I'm in Toronto. I dont *do* nes rgb mods however I just got an RGB board to put in my twin fami. If it goes well and the demand is there I may be up for doing installs.

edit: I've modded just about every console under the sun so I don't see why this wont go well!

u guys gonna meet in real life?

only if he's DTF

bodine1231

Speaking of mods I just modded my AES stick and soldered some Sanwa's in,HUGE improvement over the original buttons!

6FoEx8Ah.jpg

You should try to come to the next TO meetup.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419492

I've been meaning to but I'm always busy on the days ! I'm working during the next august meetup :(

Speaking of mods I just modded my AES stick and soldered some Sanwa's in,HUGE improvement over the original buttons!
[/IMG]

Man...I'm all for sanwas but I'm not so sure about touching a NeoGeo! Looks great though.

Impressions on the neosd?

bobble

Blasphemous looking!! Yeah tell us more about the NeoSD. I cant afford AES games
(cant afford a NeoSD either but still).

bodine1231

I can't decide between a white,black or red balltop on the stick,lol.

rEUuypcl.jpg
uVPJz2ql.jpg

The NeoSD is pretty great. Waiting for the games to load into ram does take a while. However, when you turn off the console and come back later the last game you loaded plays instantly. I really don't mind the waiting though because it makes me focus on one game. That's always a problem I've had when using flash carts is that I never stick to one game for very long.

Dambrosi

Banned
The NeoSD is pretty great. Waiting for the games to load into ram does take a while. However, when you turn off the console and come back later the last game you loaded plays instantly. I really don't mind the waiting though because it makes me focus on one game. That's always a problem I've had when using flash carts is that I never stick to one game for very long.
So it's just like the old Everdrive MD, then? Interesting, since the Neo Geo is pretty much an overclocked Megadrive with arcade parts and more RAM.

And I hear you about the temptation to switch out games on a whim. It's just too easy with flashcarts like these, you have to have some discipline.

By the way, black looks cleaner, but red looks sexier. Depends what you want out of your stick looks-wise. That's no help, I know.

I can't decide between a white,black or red balltop on the stick,lol.

rEUuypcl.jpg
uVPJz2ql.jpg

is that a metroid movie poster?

if metroid was a movie who would you like to see play Samus?

dubc35

is that a metroid movie poster?

if metroid was a movie who would you like to see play Samus?

I'm not sure if Rhonda Rousey would be my first choice but at least she wants to play the role.
What movie based on a video game would you want to be the star of?

I've always wanted to be Samus. That would be badass. I love how people found out later that it was a hot chick on the inside. And then most of the day you're in a suit, so you can just hang out and eat donuts and be the star of Metroid. I hope they make a movie out of that.

Yup I'm in Toronto. I dont *do* nes rgb mods however I just got an RGB board to put in my twin fami. If it goes well and the demand is there I may be up for doing installs.

edit: I've modded just about every console under the sun so I don't see why this wont go well!

only if he's DTF
ROFL
If you ever get enough demand shoot me a PM, I'll definitely be down to get my NES RGB modded. I'm not really down to ship it out of the country to get it modded so a local installer is always nice to have.

You should try to come to the next TO meetup.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1419492

I've yet to make it out to one. Something always comes up. August's meetup I have a nieces birthday, have to help a friend move, and then watch the McGregor/Mayweather fight with him.

I'm trying to wait for Darksoft's NeoGeo SD Cart, and for it to hopefully be cheaper than the NeoSD. I really want one since my Phantom 1 converter does this now

and no one seems to be able to figure out a way to permanently fix it.

If I deoxit the fucking hell out of it with deoxit gold I can USUALLY get it to not do that for at least a play session on 1 game. It'll go right back to doing it if I switch games, or try again the next day.

AES games play PERFECTLY though, so I know it's not the system and it's my damn converter. At this point I'm just going to try to get one of the AES SD carts for it.

ToD_

I'm trying to wait for Darksoft's NeoGeo SD Cart, and for it to hopefully be cheaper than the NeoSD. I really want one since my Phantom 1 converter does this now

If I deoxit the fucking hell out of it with deoxit gold I can USUALLY get it to not do that for at least a play session on 1 game. It'll go right back to doing it if I switch games, or try again the next day.

AES games play PERFECTLY though, so I know it's not the system and it's my damn converter. At this point I'm just going to try to get one of the AES SD carts for it.

That sucks. My Phantom 1 converter doesn't have those issues, but generally requires some wiggling and leaning it one way or the other in the system before I get artifact free video (AES carts are totally fine for me as well). In addition, it is really hard to insert MVS carts in the converters. Taking them out also requires some force. Enough that some of the plastic around the contacts broke off on one side.

So yes, I feel the same - I want one of those AES SD carts. If UPS behaves I'll have one today.

bodine1231

Yeah I wish the aes cart came out the same time as his mvs one. I'm gonna buy it and see which is better. I think he said the price is gonna be over $400, so not much cheaper.

That sucks. My Phantom 1 converter doesn't have those issues, but generally requires some wiggling and leaning it one way or the other in the system before I get artifact free video (AES carts are totally fine for me as well). In addition, it is really hard to insert MVS carts in the converters. Taking them out also requires some force. Enough that some of the plastic around the contacts broke off on one side.

So yes, I feel the same - I want one of those AES SD carts. If UPS behaves I'll have one today.

Yeah I wish I had known about the 60 dollar MVS to AES converter that hit indiegogo a few years back. It sounded like it was better than all the previous insanely expensive ones. It just kills me. If I remember right I think I paid more or just as much for this fucking converter as I did for my AES. Granted it worked perfectly for a few years, but now its a 300 dollar paper weight effectively. I can't even sell it to make money for an AES SD Cart because it doesn't work right.

Although it looks like that dude is now making more of the converters just really slow about it. May have to try and get on the waiting list.

It is INSANELY hard to get MVS carts out of it and yeah it has broken plastic around the contacts as well. It's a shame that all the available converters are all 300 - 400 bucks. At that price point I'll just get an SD Cart.

Yeah I wish the aes cart came out the same time as his mvs one. I'm gonna buy it and see which is better. I think he said the price is gonna be over $400, so not much cheaper.

The little bit cheaper definitely helps though. Has Darksoft's MVS cart shipped yet? I wonder if his will have such long loading times as well.

bodine1231

Yeah I wish I had known about the 60 dollar MVS to AES converter that hit indiegogo a few years back. It sounded like it was better than all the previous insanely expensive ones. It just kills me. If I remember right I think I paid more or just as much for this fucking converter as I did for my AES. Granted it worked perfectly for a few years, but now its a 300 dollar paper weight effectively. I can't even sell it to make money for an AES SD Cart because it doesn't work right.

Although it looks like that dude is now making more of the converters just really slow about it. May have to try and get on the waiting list.

It is INSANELY hard to get MVS carts out of it and yeah it has broken plastic around the contacts as well. It's a shame that all the available converters are all 300 - 400 bucks. At that price point I'll just get an SD Cart.

The little bit cheaper definitely helps though. Has Darksoft's MVS cart shipped yet? I wonder if his will have such long loading times as well.

https://youtu.be/OBfC5i8Eoe0

It loads much faster. However it looks like the boot up time for the cart is very long so I'm not sure how much time your saving. What's cool though is you can store three games for instant access like an mvs. I'm wondering if it comes with all the pre launch bios options that the SD has.

Really want to get myself a Toro box for my DC and run it through my Framemeister, but I'm confused about what cables I'll need. It seems like a male to male SCART cable is necessary, but I get confused with the VGA options.

It seems VGA is the clearest image I can get from my DC, what will I need to make that work with a Toro and a Framemeister? Any help would be appreciated!!

Rimshot

Just a fast question I hope you all could help me with. Is the OSSC a good investment, or should one just fork out the money for a Framemeister?

catabarez

Really want to get myself a Toro box for my DC and run it through my Framemeister, but I'm confused about what cables I'll need. It seems like a male to male SCART cable is necessary, but I get confused with the VGA options.

It seems VGA is the clearest image I can get from my DC, what will I need to make that work with a Toro and a Framemeister? Any help would be appreciated!!

The Toro outputs 480p via SCART. You'll just need the SCART cable.

Just a fast question I hope you all could help me with. Is the OSSC a good investment, or should one just fork out the money for a Framemeister?
The OSSC is definitely the better buy for the cash. Only concern is compatibility with less common hardware (on both ends, display and the actual game hardware like pcbs or fringe consoles)

lepo

The ossc is a great investment... 90% of my systems are hooked to an ossc while only a pal game cube with a game boy player is connected to the framemeister, and just because I can scale the gba output..otherwise it would be 100% ossc

bodine1231

The ossc is a great investment... 90% of my systems are hooked to an ossc while only a pal game cube with a game boy player is connected to the framemeister, and just because I can scale the gba output..otherwise it would be 100% ossc

Are you using anything to zoom the GBA picture? I was thinking about grabbing a DVDO just for this but I'm not sure how zooming the picture would work with scanlines,I HAVE to have scanlines.

lepo

Are you using anything to zoom the GBA picture? I was thinking about grabbing a DVDO just for this but I'm not sure how zooming the picture would work with scanlines,I HAVE to have scanlines.

I'm using ULL gbi so no scaling out of the box and the framemeister allow me to scale the image and output 720p in order to get scanlines ( I have to have scanlines as well :) )

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That's weird because the images show up for me fine. Hmm. There are a few ways to share from Photobucket, they have all been disabled?
It's because they're cached in your browser. I know this is a retro GAF thread but join us in the future and stop using PB.

bodine1231

Anyone have a framemeister they want to get rid of? I need one to do some tests. I have a spare PVM 14L2 that I'll trade for it plus PayPal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom