• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pvms auto terminate unused outputs @ 75ohm so that's not needed. BVMs do not auto terminate and require the resistor caps.

So, how exactly do I know if I have a BVM or PVM? My model number (it's a JVC) starts with BM so I always assumed BVM. It has switches for opening and closing the circuit/whatever right by the input. I've flipped it and never seen a difference in the PQ. Should I get a cap for it?

bodine1231

So, how exactly do I know if I have a BVM or PVM? My model number (it's a JVC) starts with BM so I always assumed BVM. It has switches for opening and closing the circuit/whatever right by the input. I've flipped it and never seen a difference in the PQ. Should I get a cap for it?

Only Sony makes BVM and PVM branded monitors.

You can Google your model number and see what the manual says. The official manual for the 20m2u states:

Automatic termination (connector with mark only) The input connector is terminated at 75 ohms inside when no cable is connected to the loop-through output connector. When a cable is connected to an output connector, the 75-ohm termination is automatically released

Did a no cut Composite video mod on my Atari 7800 today. I removed the RF unit completely, and the switch for channel selection. I've got both of them saved, so it can be reverted if anyone ever wants to do that. This way it has a TRRS jack where the RF should plug into.

DIGzt9JXoAArBBM.jpg

I have a JVC TM-H150CG with the IF-C01COMG component/rgb input card. The screen is small for my tastes, what is the biggest monitor that can take this input card? Can these things be used cross-brand, as in an rgb input card from a JVC into a Sony or vice versa? Haven't seen much discussion of this yet.

Kawika

Does anyone know the URL of retro console accessories new store? The one not on ebay. I thought i heard she has a store where you can see all the cables the ebayer sells.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Heh, this scart cable order is going to fucking sting. I forgot how goddamn expensive they are.

Also kinda forgot what kind of cables I need to get for the various systems (ie: csync vs luma). Fuck. I'll figure it out. I guess I kinda have to -- can't play any of my old school stuff until I finally buy this shit.

The good news, though, is that I've got all my retro stuff in place in the new TV cabinet, and I somehow got everything plugged into the 16 outlet surge protector I bought... so once I have the SCART shit, I should be ready to rock.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It was around the time that Chacranajxy spent $160 on SCART cables that he started reevaluating his life.

What brought him to this point?

Was it nostalgia? Unbridled madness?

No. It was a predilection for 2D anime girls, adorned with '90s verve and made flesh by unflinching scanline emulation.

He was truly a man among men.

Snazzy

Neo Member
Has anyone used the Everdrive X7 for the Genesis/Megadrive? Or the SD2SNES for the SNES? How happy are you with them?

I'm looking into getting these and some HDretrovision cables so I can play on original hardware on my old Toshiba CRT and avoid issues like input lag and poorly emulated sound.

catabarez

Has anyone used the Everdrive X7 for the Genesis/Megadrive? Or the SD2SNES for the SNES? How happy are you with them?

I'm looking into getting these and some HDretrovision cables so I can play on original hardware on my old Toshiba CRT and avoid issues like input lag and poorly emulated sound.

They're both great.

Rirse

Neo Member

Have both and a HD Retrovision and Component CRT (Panasonic) and they are amazing on it. I am loving the save function the X7 has a lot, plus the SMS FM music option for games and the ability to use the Master System bootup bios on the start of a game.

Yes Boss!

Heh, this scart cable order is going to fucking sting. I forgot how goddamn expensive they are.

Also kinda forgot what kind of cables I need to get for the various systems (ie: csync vs luma). Fuck. I'll figure it out. I guess I kinda have to -- can't play any of my old school stuff until I finally buy this shit.

The good news, though, is that I've got all my retro stuff in place in the new TV cabinet, and I somehow got everything plugged into the 16 outlet surge protector I bought... so once I have the SCART shit, I should be ready to rock.

They have gone way up over the years. I could not remember where I had some of my Saturn scart cables so just ordered a new one...freaking $40 delivered. Now I likely have three.

Kawika

It was in his last video.

Everything runs together for me these days. Price of getting older, no sleep and young children. Also, i figured it wasn't that video and I looked through the past few weeks skipping the latest. /facepalm

TeaJay

I have both and I've been very happy, the extra features are worth the extra cost.

eEK!

Neo Member
So what the point of selling the Dreamcast sd loader if it only up for one day in a single year?

Seems to be stuck between being too popular for one person to meet demand in their spare time and not popular enough to justify expanding production. Guess we'll just have to be patient and hope our GD-ROM drives hold out.

bodine1231

I have the X3 but I'm considering upgrading to the X7 because of the save states. It's so nice to be able to save right at a boss and replay him over and over to learn the patterns. I wish the SD2SNES would add this but its not possible with the SNES from what I've read.

Well I finally had time to install my nesrgb in my twin famicom turbo and everything went well! It looks fantastic. I don't have time tonight but I'll take some pictures tomorrow!

SScorpio

I have the X3 but I'm considering upgrading to the X7 because of the save states. It's so nice to be able to save right at a boss and replay him over and over to learn the patterns. I wish the SD2SNES would add this but its not possible with the SNES from what I've read.

The X7 getting SMS FM sound is also great. I was debating grabbing an FM Power Base and SMS Everdrive, and the new firmware just saved me a lot of money.

Conezays

Anyone ever have issues with their SD2SNES not turning on at times? Most of the time mine has worked fine. Seemingly out of the blue however sometimes the lights on the cart do not flash and the cart does not boot. Using regular carts work fine and I am using a SNES Mini in pristine condition, OEM AC adapter, etc. Is this clearly an SD card issue? Using San Disk for what it's worth (as I have done with other Everdrives).

catabarez

Anyone ever have issues with their SD2SNES not turning on at times? Most of the time mine has worked fine. Seemingly out of the blue however sometimes the lights on the cart do not flash and the cart does not boot. Using regular carts work fine and I am using a SNES Mini in pristine condition, OEM AC adapter, etc. Is this clearly an SD card issue? Using San Disk for what it's worth (as I have done with other Everdrives).

Try taking out the SD card and see if the same thing happens.

Heres some pictures of my NESRGB install in my Twin Fami. Unfortunately I only have FDS games available for testing and I only have my shop PVM( 1342q) So it's not the greatest representation of the RGB mod

I tried to keep the console looking as original as possible so I used the original 8 pin din for A/V which allowed me to remove the original audio jack and mount the palette switch in its spot.

Composite

RGB with "Original" Palette

RGB with "Improved" Palette

RGB with "Garish" Palette

BTails

Heres some pictures of my NESRGB install in my Twin Fami. Unfortunately I only have FDS games available for testing and I only have my shop PVM( 1342q) So it's not the greatest representation of the RGB mod

That's some clean looking Mod work! And even with the wrong PVM, it's clear to see the improvements (look at the Health Bar and how sharp it is compared to composite!).

Also, the Garish Palette is totally like the show room settings for most modern TVs with everything jacked up, haha.

Timu

I tried to keep the console looking as original as possible so I used the original 8 pin din for A/V which allowed me to remove the original audio jack and mount the palette switch in its spot.

Composite

RGB with "Original" Palette

RGB with "Improved" Palette

RGB with "Garish" Palette
Man, RGB makes this look way better!

GloriousNL

Neo Member
PVM 2950: anyone know how to increase the color saturation? I have the remote, but cannot find anything in the service menu.

On the lower series (2130, 2530, 2730) you can adjust the color intensity with the PICTURE control keys.

Conezays

Try taking out the SD card and see if the same thing happens.

Lights flash yellow/red and nothing appears on the screen. Putting the SD card back in flashes briefly and then the screen turns on properly. This issue doesn't always occur; I just don't remember it occurring at all in the past for me. Not sure why it doesn't work once in a blue moon. Hmm.

Peltz

Does anyone here prefer their 14" PVM over their 20" PVM?

I feel like 14 inches is a nice sweet spot because everything looks so sharp at that size, yet it's still big enough so that you're not squinting or anything.

My 20 incher is still my main PVM but something about the 14 inch one is way more magical in person.

That's some clean looking Mod work! And even with the wrong PVM, it's clear to see the improvements (look at the Health Bar and how sharp it is compared to composite!).

Also, the Garish Palette is totally like the show room settings for most modern TVs with everything jacked up, haha.

Man, RGB makes this look way better!

Thanks guys ! I'm really impressed by how good it looks. I've been playing through castlevania (fds version with saves, yay) and I'm frequently blown away by how much better it looks.

I just switched it over to my OSSC and I'm in awe!

I definitely wont ever use the Garish palette. When I have some more free time I'll look into flashing some other palettes onto it and get rid of garish. It totally does look like a showroom TV tune! Look at that....saturation...!

I feel like 14 inches is a nice sweet spot because everything looks so sharp at that size, yet it's still big enough so that you're not squinting or anything.

My 20 incher is still my main PVM but something about the 14 inch one is way more magical in person.

Yeah, I like the picture better on my 14" over my 20", but it's just too small for me.

dubc35

I don't. I used to have a 14" and 20". I sold the 14" when I got the 20" and haven't regretted it once.

I have a 14 as a spare and I haven't turned it on since the day I got it. It did look really quaint and very retro but I gotta have size. I downsized to get a PVM (had a 24" Trinitron before) and it was worth it but I would hate to go smaller. I've been playing on least a 20" tube since about the mid 90s.

Kawika

Looks fantastic. I like the Firebrand X palettes on my NT. Now I want to un-HDMI my NT. Probably going to sell it tbh and get the Mini. The mini will save me in the long run because i have been wanting sms and some older stuff. I keep trying to justify it. I wish the fpga could do TG16. Anyone have a non-hdmi modded nt? I really wish that the AVS was rgb and hdmi.

Also, I finally got my white whale. PVM 20L5.

IMG_20170828_220140.jpg

IMG_20170828_221927.jpg

480p finally the oddball resolution has a proper display. Time to get some 480p games and finally re-buy a dreamcast.

If I remember right a lot of Gamecube games did 480p, I think it was a lot of 1st party Nintendo ones, with some splattering of 3rd party stuff.

Peltz

If I remember right a lot of Gamecube games did 480p, I think it was a lot of 1st party Nintendo ones, with some splattering of 3rd party stuff.

Most games did 480p. In fact, I think the only game on GCN I own that didn't do 480p was Super Monkey Ball.

Kawika, how did you acquire the 20l5?

Vespa

Paper Mario is a gorgeous looking game in 480p <3

Great job on that twin Famicom mod, socksfelloff. How difficult was it to do?

I would say at least 95% of the gamecube library does 480p. A few of them you have to force but almost everything does it officially.

Paper Mario is a gorgeous looking game in 480p <3

Great job on that twin Famicom mod, socksfelloff. How difficult was it to do?

Thanks for the compliment! Overall the mod was very easy except for desoldering the ppu. It was the most tedious part because you don't want to lift any traces or break any legs. If you use too much heat you'll fry the chip or the traces and if you use too little you'll leave residue that will cause the legs to stick to the trace and lift it or break the leg.

Overall I think it took me ~4 hours from start to finish.

Vespa

That's some good info, I'll make sure to remember that about the PPU. Do you think you'll play around with other colour palettes? I'm guessing it's quite fiddly to add them.

That's some good info, I'll make sure to remember that about the PPU. Do you think you'll play around with other colour palettes? I'm guessing it's quite fiddly to add them.

I really want to try the firebrand palette as Kawika mentioned above. Flashing profiles requires you to use a jtag connection so it's something I'll do whenever I get around to lengthening the damn controller wires since I'll have to open it back up for that.

grendelrt

Just loaded up the PC version of Sonic Mania, it has a 1x window mode that should translate over to a PVM, but in widescreen. Should have a chance to play with it this weekend and see. Also has a 2x and up window, built in scanline shader as well. Great release for retro fans.

Peltz

Just loaded up the PC version of Sonic Mania, it has a 1x window mode that should translate over to a PVM, but in widescreen. Should have a chance to play with it this weekend and see. Also has a 2x and up window, built in scanline shader as well. Great release for retro fans.

What's the native res of the 1x mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom