• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

Just loaded up the PC version of Sonic Mania, it has a 1x window mode that should translate over to a PVM, but in widescreen. Should have a chance to play with it this weekend and see. Also has a 2x and up window, built in scanline shader as well. Great release for retro fans.

Oh man, I didn't even think of the possibility of cropping the game to 4:3.

It wouldn't at all surprise me if the game functioned fine that way. When revisiting S3&K I kinda found myself preferring 4:3 to 16:9, for whatever reason.

Setting up a Framemeister after not having one for a while, looking for comprehensive profiles. The ones the Implant Gamer puts out are ok but he doesn't cover every setting for each console, just a few settings, and his zoom settings mess my screen up. Anyone else have this problem trying to copy the zoom settings from his?

Then there's the Pixel Purist, and his profiles are downloadable and more comprehensive, but he doesn't use scan lines. I am unsure how adding scan lines would impact his profiles, other than it would necessitate some amount of increase in gamma or other visual settings to compensate for the loss in brightness.

Are there any new resources for this? I'm not super picky but N64 in particular looks like str8 dooky through my FM compared to on my little JVC monitor right now, and without the zoom settings (which mess up my scan lines when using Implant Gamers settings) I can see the overscan crawling crap on the bottom of NES screens.

Madao

Nearly every GCN game that doesn't natively support 480p can be forced into 480p by Nintendont.

the thing is that that method won't work if you want the highest quality possible since GC component > Wii component and GC lacks a nintendont variant.

i dunno if swiss can pull that force or if it defaults to supported modes in case a game doesn't support a mode.

the thing is that that method won't work if you want the highest quality possible since GC component > Wii component and GC lacks a nintendont variant.

i dunno if swiss can pull that force or if it defaults to supported modes in case a game doesn't support a mode.

Swiss has better video forcing support then Nintendont since you can so force 240p. The only game I've seen that can't be forced in 480p by Swiss, on a gamecube, is one of the megaman collections and I belive the sonic collection won't either.

Timu

I personally rather use HDMI on Wii U TBH.

That may be true but from the comparison shots I've seen, the quality difference between GCN Component and Wii Component is not enough (for me personally) to overcome the extremely high cost of getting GCN component cables, as well as sacrificing the convenience of USB loading with Nintendont. Nintendont supports HDDs large enough to hold the entire GCN library, all regions, all demo discs etc. Getting an equivalent solution on an actual cube would involve a $200+ component cable, swapping out multiple SD cards to load ISOs, which afaik, have read speed issues that I've yet to experience on Wii/Nintendont with a USB 2.0 HDD, or some kind of expensive/rare/dangerous IDE-EXI solution that could fry your cube. Having broad accessibility to the whole GCN library and compatibility with off the shelf storage and cheap component cables have make the choice easy for me. I also have no interest in giving money to the resale market for GCN games as I've been burned too many times with fucked up discs, so I have no interest in running the original optical media and worrying about optical disc drives.

In fact, even though the Wii U is the only Nintendo console I've ever skipped, I plan to track one down eventually for a very specific use case: playing GCN games upscaled internally to 1080p and output over HDMI, a relatively future proof solution. Nintendont also works on Wii U and can similarly force games into 480p, and the Wii U can output 480p, 720p, and 1080p through HDMI. I imagine the internal upscaler will do a better job than most displays out there, with less lag. I recently hooked up my Wii via component to my parents' new 4K TV, and the input lag made it barely playable. I don't have such issues on my 1080p set, but I imagine I wouldn't get such bad lag feeding an already upscaled 1080p signal from a Wii U to a 4K TV. Anyway, I digress.

To each his/her own. I personally don't think GCN component is worth it, unless used for the GB Player, in which case I might just get a PAL cube and use RGB.

In fact, even though the Wii U is the only Nintendo console I've ever skipped, I plan to track one down eventually for a very specific use case: playing GCN games upscaled internally to 1080p and output over HDMI, a relatively future proof solution. Nintendont also works on Wii U and can similarly force games into 480p, and the Wii U can output 480p, 720p, and 1080p through HDMI. I imagine the internal upscaler will do a better job than most displays out there, with less lag. I recently hooked up my Wii via component to my parents' new 4K TV, and the input lag made it barely playable. I don't have such issues on my 1080p set, but I imagine I wouldn't get such bad lag feeding an already upscaled 1080p signal from a Wii U to a 4K TV. Anyway, I digress.

If you're concerned about scaling performance, buy a Samsung 4K TV soon while they still have analog inputs. They have really nice internal scalers and are FAST.

Setting up a Framemeister after not having one for a while, looking for comprehensive profiles. The ones the Implant Gamer puts out are ok but he doesn't cover every setting for each console, just a few settings, and his zoom settings mess my screen up. Anyone else have this problem trying to copy the zoom settings from his?

If you're setting up Implant Games' profiles on your framemeister, you need to reset to default settings before putting in the settings he lists. Basically you reset everything and then just need to change the settings he gives, then you save that profile. I've never had any issue at all with any of his Zoom settings.

I've got an itch to buy a widescreen BVM (or PVM if they made those too?) How fucked am I in that endeavor?

I do love my 20L5 though, it's wonderful

fb0.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Then there's the Pixel Purist, and his profiles are downloadable and more comprehensive, but he doesn't use scan lines. I am unsure how adding scan lines would impact his profiles, other than it would necessitate some amount of increase in gamma or other visual settings to compensate for the loss in brightness.

Are there any new resources for this? I'm not super picky but N64 in particular looks like str8 dooky through my FM compared to on my little JVC monitor right now, and without the zoom settings (which mess up my scan lines when using Implant Gamers settings) I can see the overscan crawling crap on the bottom of NES screens.

The 720p profiles that FBX (Pixel Purist) provides are meant for scanlines. That's the only reason to provide 720p profiles as that resolution will display scanlines at the correct thickness.

If you're setting up Implant Games' profiles on your framemeister, you need to reset to default settings before putting in the settings he lists. Basically you reset everything and then just need to change the settings he gives, then you save that profile. I've never had any issue at all with any of his Zoom settings.

Ok I'll try that thanks.

Ashby

So finally got a 4K tv. Should I look at an OSSC now? I seem to recall 1080p sets don't get full resolution "coverage" with the way scaling up 240p works but 4K does?

So finally got a 4K tv. Should I look at an OSSC now? I seem to recall 1080p sets don't get full resolution "coverage" with the way scaling up 240p works but 4K does?

4K = 2160p.

2160/240 = 9. A clean integer scale from 240p to 4K. 240 does not divide 1080 evenly. I think what many people with OSSC's are doing is 240p -> Line3x -> 720p -> either a 1080p set upscales 720p to 1080p (a non-integer scale) or a 4K (2160p) set upscales 720p to 2160p (a clean 3x integer scale).

I think what you might mean by "coverage" is some people have 1080p or 4K sets that accept the OSSC's Line4x (960p) or Line5x (1200p), and depending on the situation the set may crop the image above and/or below to fit into a 1080p frame.

The holy grail is a new OSSC that can do Line9x, ie 240*9 = 2160p.

Got a Famicom Disk System on the way! Excited to test it out once it gets here.

I'll save you the trouble. It's fucking garbage.

Not only is the drive a fucking piece of shit but so are the disks. A large number of disks have corrupt all on their own.

Fuck the fds. Buy an fds stick ASAP

Peltz

Not only is the drive a fucking piece of shit but so are the disks. A large number of disks have corrupt all on their own.

I feel lucky. All my FDS stuff works without issue.

catabarez

I planned on getting an FDS stick as well. I'm hoping the FDS I receive can backup games to the FDS stick.

I know we're not supposed to make piracy accusations, but I have a hard time believing you own the entire GCN library.

Like you make it very clear "fuck actually owning these games"

Love too show my respect and love for developers and publishers by paying *checks ebay* 215 dollars to play Gotcha Force, a game digitally available nowhere, legally.

You know nothing about me. Jog on.

Peltz

Love too show my respect and love for developers and publishers by paying *checks ebay* 215 dollars to play Gotcha Force, a game digitally available nowhere, legally.

You know nothing about me. Jog on.
Or... you could show respect by simply not playing the game you didn't pay for.

Looks like the one I'm getting has a fresh belt. So hopefully it lasts.

Would be really interested to hear your experience. My drive seems to be a bit off. It's been a while since I've hooked it up. I want to do the FDSStick, but ... as I said a few posts back, I'm too dumb to figure it out - so far. Going to try again this weekend. But I LOVE the idea of collecting those yellow disks. It's so cool.

I hadn't heard about the FDSStick before. My twin works pretty wonderfully but I wouldn't mind getting one of these to prepare for the inevitable. Unfortunately, it looks like using it with a Twin is a bit more complicated but I guess that's the price for greatness.

Rirse

Neo Member
How do PS2 games look on the OSSC? I know My Life in Gaming briefly showed some of it in their video, but OSSC got a lot of changes since then from the looks of it.

TeaJay

Or... you could show respect by simply not playing the game you didn't pay for.

Life's too short for that kinda thinking, at least when it comes to retro (new games are of course a different thing). Flashcarts honestly saved me from obsessive-compulsive game collecting where I was more focused in looking at pretty boxes on my shelf than actually playing games.

Life's too short for that kinda thinking, at least when it comes to retro (new games are of course a different thing). Flashcarts honestly saved me from obsessive-compulsive game collecting where I was more focused in looking at pretty boxes on my shelf than actually playing games.

well put

Yeah, if you really want to support retro games, you buy the re-releases, especially the well done ones, as opposed to patrolling the forums and calling people pirates

Kawika

Most games did 480p. In fact, I think the only game on GCN I own that didn't do 480p was Super Monkey Ball.

Kawika, how did you acquire the 20l5?

I never check craigslist and for some reason i decided to and someone nearly 70 miles away had it. I offered a trade (my BVM20F1U with expansion cart) and he accepted. Was a horrible day as my truck broke down and I had to tow it nearly 70 miles.

worth it

Peltz

I never check craigslist and for some reason i decided to and someone nearly 70 miles away had it. I offered a trade (my BVM20F1U with expansion cart) and he accepted. Was a horrible day as my truck broke down and I had to tow it nearly 70 miles.

worth it
What made you want to do the trade? Does the BVM not do 480p?

My FDS and games work fine AND I have a FDS stick. Belt works perfectly, no corruption on the discs whatsoever.

I hadn't heard about the FDSStick before. My twin works pretty wonderfully but I wouldn't mind getting one of these to prepare for the inevitable. Unfortunately, it looks like using it with a Twin is a bit more complicated but I guess that's the price for greatness.

Since we don't have the ram cable on our twin I made my own adapter. Works like a charm!

Kawika

What made you want to do the trade? Does the BVM not do 480p?

It only does 240p/480i. I posted a link earlier in this thread when I picked up a JVC 17" last week that i thought might be progressive scan. Its a list of PVM/BVM and other monitors that display colors accurately. The list also includes which resolution they support. The reason I wanted the 20L5 over the BVM 20F1U is that they have the same picture tube but the hardware in the 20L5 can accept up to 1080i and does so without any lag. There is only 1 monitor I would rather have and its the D24E1WU but considering how much larger BVMs are than PVMs I just don't want to make the room.

If anyone is near Los Angeles/OC area and wants a 14M4U, PM me because I am going to keep the JVC as my back up monitor. It doesn't have many hours on it and it was a lot cleaner looking than my BVM was (likely due to total hours being in the low thousands instead of 20K-30K ish).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom