• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

Wait, Mylifeingaming dudes check this thread?!

If you guys see this know that you are the reason I'm into all of this, your videos are top quality and I enjoy every single video you guys make.

I don't know what's that.

Yeah, they've mentioned GAF before, I think. Or maybe I'm confused with dark10x

ULL = ultra low latency

Peltz

It's nice when people actually know what they're talking about. I don't watch them regularly, but they definitely have good videos.

Anyone know how long a Scart cable can go before it goes to shit? I'm going to have to completely change my setup if I can't get one that's about 2 meters instead of the normal 1.5 from retro console accessories. I don't even know if she makes longer ones.

Khaz

Anyone know how long a Scart cable can go before it goes to shit? I'm going to have to completely change my setup if I can't get one that's about 2 meters instead of the normal 1.5 from retro console accessories. I don't even know if she makes longer ones.

2m is fine. Ask them if they can add some length to their cable, as they are custom made I'm pretty sure they can.

As usual with every analogue cable, the more length the more interferences it can catch, be they external or internal. So it can be a good idea to increase the quality of the cable when going for longer lengths. External shielding and coax wires are a must imo.

2m is fine. Ask them if they can add some length to their cable, as they are custom made I'm pretty sure they can.

As usual with every analogue cable, the more length the more interferences it can catch, be they external or internal. So it can be a good idea to increase the quality of the cable when going for longer lengths. External shielding and coax wires are a must imo.
I sent a message, hopefully it's no problem because I'll have to change my setup otherwise. I was waiting around for the N64 HDMI but the availability and price and the fact I probably won't play it much anyways has pushed me to do the RGB upgrade. It's my last non-rgb system so I want to get that lone s-video hook-up out of there.

Yawnny

I received my Sony-PVM-1342Q in the mail yesterday. So far really liking the picture quality out of the little guy (still waiting for my snes RGB cables to show up so only ran S-VIdeo PSX so far).

I have a question about the infamous 15Khz high pitch frequency that emits from most CRT's. Is there any way to determine how loud is too loud? It's been so long since I've gamed/watched on a CRT/PVM that I forgot these babies usually emit some kind of noise constantly when turned on.

The noise isn't tooo loud, but it's certainly noticeable. It hits my ears initially then seems to just worm its way in to my cerebral and I only somewhat notice it after about 5-10 minutes of listening.

Some people have recommended headphones (preferably closed headphones) while gaming and you won't even notice.

Does everyone here who owns a PVM notice the high pitched frequency noise? I believe 80% of people you talk to will say that's typical of the flyback transformer and it's just the way it is, while the remaining 20% will say a qualified tech could do something to dampen the noise.

I'm looking forward to the Retro AV Club's input on this!

Thanks,

I'm old enough not to be able to hear it any more, beyond when I first fire up the TV. Not a problem for me. Gotta play these games on a CRT, in my opinion. Accept no substitutes.

TeaJay

I hear it, and it's quite loud on my PVM, but I really only pay attention to it when I start the monitor and/or there's no game running. Usually game audio drowns it out.

Peltz

Could anyone here recommend a reliable modder for the NES RGB mod other than Bapho? I haven't heard from him in a long time and am not sure if he is still doing the mods. I feel bad for being impatient, but it's been 3 months with no solid communication.

dubc35

I can't hear anything from my PVM besides the degaussing at power on...of course now that I read the comments here I will hear something now, lol.

Could anyone here recommend a reliable modder for the NES RGB mod other than Bapho? I haven't heard from him in a long time and am not sure if he is still doing the mods. I feel bad for being impatient, but it's been 3 months with no solid communication.

I sent him a PM a week ago or so and no reply as well. I was thinking of looking into one of the options the My Life in Gaming guys recommend: Voultar or RetroFixes. Has anyone used either?

KC-Slater

Does everyone here who owns a PVM notice the high pitched frequency noise? Thanks,

I love the idea of gaming on a CRT more than the actual practice most of the time. The high-pitched noise and the flicker from interlaced sources sort of irk me now. It never bothered me growing up, but my precious eyes and ears have been spoiled over the years, lol. Physically, I find them very awkward to place in a smaller room. There are alternatives now that are reasonable enough facsimiles that don't suffer from these detriments (although they do have some of their own, obviously) that are my go-to options now.

I'll see myself out...

Fularu

Banned
Speaking of switches, anyone have a good automatic HDMI switch to recommend for cheap?

The Monoprice one is both cheap (sub 30$) and great.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=8463&seq=1&format=2

Of course it depends on the number of HDMI ports you need.

so, with my 1084 on its last legs (screen shows geometrical distortion that I just can't fix) I purchased a Dell U2410 that should arrive today.

Only waiting on my amiga out to VGA adapter from Amigakit and I should be fine.

While I'll miss the beauty of the 256p signal, I'll at last be able to use high resolution workbench desktop resolutions and it's one of the very few good LCD panels able to process a 15khz signal.

I tried using a scart to component and a scart to hdmi adapter and both don't play nice with my Amiga, so I had to go that route since finding a good old trusty CRT monitor that would take 15 khz is proving to be very difficult here in Québec city.

Peltz

A PVM's high pitched noise is a non-factor in my opinion. It is inaudible in actual in-game situations. Plus, it doesn't even bother me when I turn on the set. It's just part of the tech that I'm used to having grown up in the late 80s and 90s.

P.S. Thanks so much for the recommendations on those modders. I'll be in touch with them.

Fularu

Banned
eh, I wish I could find a 20" Sony PVM but there's none in the province of Québec either on ebay or kijiji.

I'm too late for that market QQ

televator

The squeal tends to penetrate through most other noises so I notice it constantly. In and of itself, it's not enough to stop me from playing a game, but I would definitely prefer it gone.

Yawnny

The squeal tends to penetrate through most other noises so I notice it constantly. In and of itself, it's not enough to stop me from playing a game, but I would definitely prefer it gone.

It seems like accepting that it's part of the tech and making the conscious decision to decide your happy with it are some key factors.

I'm just happy I own a PVM and it functions, as we all know they are a dying breed.

Peltz

It seems like accepting that it's part of the tech and making the conscious decision to decide your happy with it are some key factors.

I'm just happy I own a PVM and it functions, as we all know they are a dying breed.

Honestly, it's not very perceptible to me if you have any volume of noise coming out of bookshelf speakers. Maybe my PVM squeals less than some others? If I closed my eyes during gameplay and was forced to blind sample gameplay noise - one with PVM on and the other with the PVM off - maybe, just maybe, I'd be able to accurately tell which was which.

But only in that circumstance. Otherwise, it doesn't affect the experience of playing at all.

I'll second having heard from a couple of sources that Voultar is supposed to be good.

dubc35

Voultar is an amazing modder and has great communication.
He cares a lot about his mod work.

If you want to hear a bit from Voultar there was an amazing interview with him and Bob (from Retro RGB) that I think is a worthwhile listen to anyone involved in the scene (hobbyist, tinkerer, enthusiast, or otherwise)

I'll second having heard from a couple of sources that Voultar is supposed to be good.

Awesome, thanks! I'll check that video out.

Yawnny

I have tinnitus, so I'd rather hear capacitor squeal than "silence".

As a note: I believe the frequency is typically the Flyback transformer as opposed to capacitor squeel (which could be another case of noise, but not as consistent as the frequency emitted from the flyback transformer ie: the pitch might go up and down if it's a capacitor squeel).

Great page discussing the whine/squeel/high pitch noise/15Khz frequency tone/sine wave:
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq/tvwhine.htm

This page for TV repair is a veritable deep well of knowledge:
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq.htm

I have tinnitus, so I'd rather hear capacitor squeal than "silence".

i also have some sort of (admittedly minor) tinnitus. it's kind of an indescribable sound, though, and one I've weirdly gotten kinda comfortable with as I get older. Used to terrify me as a kid. Can't deal with high pitched squeals like capacitors or dog whistles or those mosquito noises that you can find on the net, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom