• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubc35

MPjN4r8.jpg
Nice! Congrats! Looking forward to more impressions!

I'll do some testing once I get it. I'm really scraping the bottom of my funds at the moment, though, so more extensive testing with different configurations might have to wait until I can get a few more cables. Especially interested in splitting the output to my moniter and framemeister for use with recording. Hopeful my Asus monitor is as compatible as the others folks have used.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Quick framemeister question: Can I use the two HDMI inputs as simple passthroughs in standby to my TV? I only have one HDMI input with low lag and 4k 60hz support that I use for retro stuff, but I also have a PC and PS4 I'd like on that input. Eventually I'll get a good HDMI switch but for now Can I just use the FM to pass the signal along lag free and unchanged?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Quick framemeister question: Can I use the two HDMI inputs as simple passthroughs in standby to my TV? I only have one HDMI input with low lag and 4k 60hz support that I use for retro stuff, but I also have a PC and PS4 I'd like on that input. Eventually I'll get a good HDMI switch but for now Can I just use the FM to pass the signal along lag free and unchanged?

Yes. But you need to have your firmware up to date and turn on the HDMI pass through mode for the input you are using. It's in the menu somewhere.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Yes. But you need to have your firmware up to date and turn on the HDMI pass through mode for the input you are using. It's in the menu somewhere.

Thanks, just found the settings and got my PC to output 1080p. Yeah I'm on the latest FW. It looks like I can manually enable 4k resolution on my PC when it recognizes the FM, but is there any danger in doing so besides the FM not displaying an output? Nvidia control has some long disclaimer about damaging displays and I've already broken my FM once...

Ramune

Speaking of the colors in Super Mario 1, back when I first had my NES, for the longest I had the sky as pink because our TV had the tint that way for some reason. Friends and Family had their sky blue. Think it took me a year after to discover what the Tint dial does. ^_^;

Forgot I was on the mailing list for the OSSC. I am having money problems atm, and I'm exactly #1234 of all things @_@;

Hope I can scrounge up enough when it's time!

Peagles

I'm curious how many NES RGB people here have the palate switch in the console? Is it cool or just another thing to dick around with and drive you crazy?

Yeh I put a three-way switch at the back of mine, I keep it on improved 99% of the time, sometimes switch to natural, kept garish in for the lols...

I'm curious how many NES RGB people here have the palate switch in the console? Is it cool or just another thing to dick around with and drive you crazy?
I've got the three way switch. I never touch it, I looked at them when I first got it, set it on the one I liked the best and haven't touched it since.

Galdelico

Congrats guys!
Any of you is gonna be using the OSSC with a 1080p monitor? I want to upgrade to a new gaming monitor around Christmas/early 2017, but since I don't plan to get an XBOX One or a PS4, I was wondering whether to stick with a full-HD panel, or look at a 4K model anyway... I feel like I could use some help, in order to decide for the best.

Edit - Seems like they hit around #740 in the waiting list... If the next batch is going to be of 500 unit again, I'll be finally able to get my OSSC, woot!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thanks, just found the settings and got my PC to output 1080p. Yeah I'm on the latest FW. It looks like I can manually enable 4k resolution on my PC when it recognizes the FM, but is there any danger in doing so besides the FM not displaying an output? Nvidia control has some long disclaimer about damaging displays and I've already broken my FM once...

I have no idea but I can't imagine passing a 4k signal through an HDMI port that doesn't support it will do any damage.

Einhandr

Congrats guys!
Any of you is gonna be using the OSSC with a 1080p monitor? I want to upgrade to a new gaming monitor around Christmas/early 2017, but since I don't plan to get an XBOX One or a PS4, I was wondering whether to stick with a full-HD panel, or look at a 4K model anyway... I feel like I could use some help, in order to decide for the best.

Edit - Seems like they hit around #740 in the waiting list... If the next batch is going to be of 500 unit again, I'll be finally able to get my OSSC, woot!

What was your number again? Bucko said out of 500 invites that went out only 150 ordered. If your in the low 1000's, you might actually have a shot this batch.

Congrats Mr Fish! I ordered mine this morning as well. *high five* Now I need to get some more cables.

out of curiosity, was the issue you had (i assume you're the guy on shmups who said they had an issue) related to zip codes lol
Congrats guys!

I'm using a 1080p monitor. I wouldn't go 4k until you can get a better price, especially if you use your monitor for PC games, too.

And they're in to the 800s now, afaik. Like Einhandr said, the rate at which they're being picked up is really low. And there seems to be a push for a proper storefront so I imagine you'll be able to get one early next year if not in the batch.

Einhandr

out of curiosity, was the issue you had (i assume you're the guy on shmups who said they had an issue) related to zip codes lol

I'm using a 1080p monitor. I wouldn't go 4k until you can get a better price, especially if you use your monitor for PC games, too.

And they're in to the 800s now, afaik. Like Einhandr said, the rate at which they're being picked up is really low. And there seems to be a push for a proper storefront so I imagine you'll be able to get one early next year if not in the batch.

Yeah that was me, not related to zip codes (my CC company flagged the transaction as fraudulent because of the foreign currency).

I'll be using mine on a 4K Vizio d40u-d1 only because I couldn't find any 1080p displays around 40" that had a low enough input lag (13.8ms). It supports the line triple mode and has no sync issues with SNES which is what I play most out of all my retro consoles. Only problem is the Vizio has only one HDMI input that will get you those speeds. The other 4 are trash for gaming.

I have a Framemeister XRBG Mini and a couple years ago I bought an RGB cable for my Model 1 US Sega Genesis. I got it from retrogamingcables.com and it's the type with an audio plug for the headphones port. I've never been able to get the image to fully stabilize no matter how much I mess with the sync options. The sync level of 17 works the best, but it still jumps on screens with a lot of red or similar colors.

Is there a setting I might be missing or should I try buying another cable? Anyone buy one recently that works well or have a seller they would recommend?

Galdelico

What was your number again? Bucko said out of 500 invites that went out only 150 ordered. If your in the low 1000's, you might actually have a shot this batch.

Unfortunately, I'm in the 1100 zone... Can't remember the exact number, but it was right past 1100 for sure. It would be AWESOME if I make it with this current batch, but I don't even want to hope, so it won't be a bummer if I end up in the next wave (and it's already fantastic news being sure about that!). :D

Good to know, and please share your impressions, once you get your unit. :)

You guys said there was a monitor-compatibility list, somewhere on VGP or SHMUPS forums, but I can't seem to find it.
It's pretty confusing out there, at the moment. IPS, TN, G-Sync, HDR... I only use high-grade monitors for work, not gaming, so I'm actually quite clueless about what I shoul look for. Other than size, latency, color fidelity and a pivot option for TATE games, I don't really have any other useful indication, as for right now.

I have a Framemeister XRBG Mini and a couple years ago I bought an RGB cable for my Model 1 US Sega Genesis. I got it from retrogamingcables.com and it's the type with an audio plug for the headphones port. I've never been able to get the image to fully stabilize no matter how much I mess with the sync options. The sync level of 17 works the best, but it still jumps on screens with a lot of red or similar colors.

Is there a setting I might be missing or should I try buying another cable? Anyone buy one recently that works well or have a seller they would recommend?
Set it to Auto.

Manual sync tries to duplicate frames in order to normalize the sync info to HDMI spec. Auto just forwards the same sync timimg to your TV, and even if it's slightly out of spec most TVs will be fine with it.

Galdelico

That's great, thank you. For some reason, I completely missed it. ^^
Also - according to this other document - it seems like the Asus I was eyeing is Linex3 compatible. Good.

Btw, what's the deal with Line Triple mode 'PAL'? Is it literally just Linex3 with PAL consoles, or is it something else that needs to be taken into account? I read some PAL modded machines can behave a little odd:

- Some hardware (typically PAL modded machines and Neo Geo hardware) have off-spec vertical refresh rates. If a display cannot tolerate this, you will see stuttering or a white streak across the picture

It looks I may run into troubles with one of my two PS2s (which is PAL, modded with the Messiah 2 Pro chip).

Bought a B&O MX4002. Waiting for it to be delivered.

20161028_161332.jpg

How are those TVs, in general, when it comes to geometry? You don't seem them popping out all that often, in this thread.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
That's great, thank you. For some reason, I completely missed it. ^^
Also - according to this other document - it seems like the Asus I was eyeing is Linex3 compatible. Good.

Btw, what's the deal with Line Triple mode 'PAL'? Is it literally just Linex3 with PAL consoles, or is it something else that needs to be taken into account? I read some PAL modded machines can behave a little odd:

- Some hardware (typically PAL modded machines and Neo Geo hardware) have off-spec vertical refresh rates. If a display cannot tolerate this, you will see stuttering or a white streak across the picture

It looks I may run into troubles with one of my two PS2s (which is PAL, modded with the Messiah 2 Pro chip).

How are those TVs, in general, when it comes to geometry? You don't seem them popping out all that often, in this thread.

They don't have the quality of the BVMs/PVMs but they are very good as far as consumer CRTs are concerned. If you get a Beovision B&Q the most important thing to check for is the software revision number at the back. It follows after the letters "SW"

In general:

SW 1.X to 2.X = Soft picture, not that good.
SW 3.x = Decent
SW 4.x to 5 (rare) = Best possible

Some videos I've found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iujx0-JcFn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnIt7QNTI88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Db7NzRMk4

The thing with these B&Q CRTs is that they are "girlfriend/wife friendly" They look good in a living room and have a shorter tube on the back so therefore you have less of a behemoth CRT taking up your space ;)

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Set it to Auto.

Manual sync tries to duplicate frames in order to normalize the sync info to HDMI spec. Auto just forwards the same sync timimg to your TV, and even if it's slightly out of spec most TVs will be fine with it.

Anecdotally, my FM did not like Auto sync on my model 1 genesis. Had to set sync to 3 to get it 99% stable.

Anecdotally, my FM did not like Auto sync on my model 1 genesis. Had to set sync to 3 to get it 99% stable.

Mine's still fried but I remember having issues changing some settings. That might have been one of the ones that required shutting down the FM after changing.

That or your TV just doesn't like the out-of-spec sync timing.

Galdelico

they're no PVM but the Philips tubes are pretty good.

They don't have the quality of the BVMs/PVMs but they are very good as far as consumer CRTs are concerned. If you get a Beovision B&Q the most important thing to check for is the software revision number at the back. It follows after the letters "SW"

In general:

SW 1.X to 2.X = Soft picture, not that good.
SW 3.x = Decent
SW 4.x to 5 (rare) = Best possible

Some videos I've found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iujx0-JcFn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnIt7QNTI88
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Db7NzRMk4

The thing with these B&Q CRTs is that they are "girlfriend/wife friendly" They look good in a living room and have a shorter tube on the back so therefore you have less of a behemoth CRT taking up your space ;)

Very helpful, thank you.
Just out of curiosity, I asked about it to some person who is selling an MX-7000 near where I live. Aside from the price - they're asking 190 euros, and I'm not sure it's negotiable - I believe it's a little bit too tall for my actual retro setup, so I'll most likely leave it.

Only gold-plated SCART cables are lag free. Using a cheap copper cable is like putting a dam in a river. It slows down the electrons.

just making sure, but this is a joke, right?

This really feels like one of those you might read on some ebay sales page or something.

Voliko

just making sure, but this is a joke, right?

This really feels like one of those you might read on some ebay sales page or something.

Some of us are more sensitive to lag than others. Gold-plated cables are an absolute must for serious speed runs. I could tell the difference right away when I switched from my old copper cables.

TeaJay

Some of us are more sensitive to lag than others. Gold-plated cables are an absolute must for serious speed runs. I could tell the difference right away when I switched from my old copper cables.

Judging from my own experiences with various cables and CRT TV's I'm gonna respectfully disagree with you here but you are of course free to have an opinion.

Listen. If you chumps never want to compete with top tier pros just keep your cheepo cables. I'll be over here in the winners circle with the big dogs. You get what you pay for, sorry you have to be so poor and can't afford gold plating.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Once you join the retro AV club, you suddenly find yourself broke AF. Also, you spend more time making your games look better than you do playing them.

Lol, this is the truth.

Interesting discussion on the SMB purple/blue sky. Personally I've always taken the purple hue to be correct. But the game really looks great when you adjust the TV to make the palate tilt toward "true blue."

And yeah, the comparison to Star Wars is very apt.

I have it and actually really enjoy checking itout on all games. Mostly play on normal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom