• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galdelico

Just got my email :D Gonna order when I get home from work!

Edit: Actually scratch that, re-read the email and thought I better order ASAP so battled through in mobile. Done! Babby better appreciate retro games :p
Haha, no doubt! And great you went through the line as well.

We actually listen to the soundtracks of old games so often that I'm sure he or she will be hearing them through my tummy, especially when we crank them in the car with the subwoofer, lol. Actually I hum the tunes enough that it probably reverberates through me too haha... They're gonna grow up surrounded by games because we are both crazy geeks, so exposure will be sky high hehe.

On a more serious note, I strongly believe that videogaming - when there are mindful parents/relatives to share the experience with - can be a huge creativity boost, for a kid.

MattyH

Got a slight issue with my crt in 60hz it knocks the setting I have for the screen size out by 10 and I can't change it any ideas

BTails

On a more serious note, I strongly believe that videogaming - when there are mindful parents/relatives to share the experience with - can be a huge creativity boost, for a kid.

100% agreed. I basically learned how to read while playing Sierra Adventure Games with my father. I can't wait to share those with my daughter when she's a little older (only four months old still!)

Galdelico

Got a slight issue with my crt in 60hz it knocks the setting I have for the screen size out by 10 and I can't change it any ideas

Vertical or horizontal size? If it's vertical, could it be it just boots up in 16:9 and you need to set the screen to 4:3 with the remote?
That said my Trinitron (well, all Trinitrons I had, to be fair) H-shifts the RGB center by 5 to the right, every time you exit the service menu. It's tied to RGB only, because S-Video doesn't do that for example.

100% agreed. I basically learned how to read while playing Sierra Adventure Games with my father. I can't wait to share those with my daughter when she's a little older (only four months old still!)

Yeah, exactly what I meant. That's wonderful!

MattyH

Vertical or horizontal size? If it's vertical, could it be it just boots up in 16:9 and you need to set the screen to 4:3 with the remote?
That said my Trinitron (well, all Trinitrons I had, to be fair) H-shifts the RGB center by 5 to the right, every time you exit the service menu. It's tied to RGB only, because S-Video doesn't do that for example.

On the vertical Its all set to 4:3 I can visually see it in the service menu when I switch to 60hz from 50 goes from 38 to 46

Galdelico

On the vertical Its all set to 4:3 I can visually see it in the service menu when I switch to 60hz from 50 goes from 38 to 46

I think it's normal, and your TV is saving a different value you may have set for 50 and 60hz games.
I personally leave the vertical settings the same for all systems, no matter if they run at 60hz or 50. I found values that fit all cases pretty well, with just a couple of pixels of overscan to deal with (the frame isn't 100% straight, though, so there are geometry imperfections that I can't fix, via the service menu).

That said, I can confirm that horizontal settings at 50 and 60hz can be different and saved separately on my TV. So, let's say I keep my Japanese (60hz) Mega Drive at H-size 47, and my PAL Gamecube and XBOX (they both boot up in PAL50) at H-size 41, every time I turn on one of said systems, I can tell the diiference in H-size on screen.

Edit - Uneducated tip (as in, I noticed it happens, I'm sure there is a technical reason behind it, but I can't figure out what it is... ^^; ). If you want to save different sets of values for 50 and 60hz games separately, do it while your TV runs at 50 and 60hz only. Don't let the refresh rate change while you're still in the service menu. It can screw things a bit also on my Trinitron. What I do is, turn on the TV in service mode, turn on a PAL50 system (GameCube and original XBOX both start up with PAL50 dashboards), do all my setting, then turn off the TV to save. Same goes for 60hz systems.

MattyH

I think it's normal, and your TV is saving a different value you may have set for 50 and 60hz games.
I personally leave the vertical settings the same for all systems, no matter if they run at 60hz or 50. I found values that fit all cases pretty well, with just a couple of pixels of overscan to deal with (the frame isn't 100% straight, though, so there are geometry imperfections that I can't fix, via the service menu).

That said, I can confirm that horizontal settings at 50 and 60hz can be different and saved separately on my TV. So, let's say I keep my Japanese (60hz) Mega Drive at H-size 47, and my PAL Gamecube and XBOX (they both boot up in PAL50) at H-size 41, every time I turn on one of said systems, I can tell the diiference in H-size on screen.

yeah i cant actually change any settings when its in 60hz i guess il have to get used to it

Peltz

Thanks :) I'm excited and nervous but mostly excited! Only really nervous about the birth part actually ugh...

You'll be fine. Raising a kid is more or less the same thing as calibrating a PVM.

The only difference is, if we mess up, we can't make new PVMs.

:p

Galdelico

Sony Trinitron KV-14m1u

Weird you can't change vertical settings. It's a PAL Trinitron and - as far as I know - they all share the same service menu structure. Higher-end models give you more options to fiddle with, but the basic numbers - including V size, V slope and V zoom - should be the same for all models, no matter if you're on RGB, or composite/S-Video.

MattyH

Weird you can't change vertical settings. It's a PAL Trinitron and - as far as I know - they all share the same service menu structure. Higher-end models give you more options to fiddle with, but the basic numbers - including V size, V slope and V zoom - should be the same for all models, no matter if you're on RGB, or composite/S-Video.

i have
Ver. Size
Ver. Breath
Pin Ampl
Par Tilt
V. Linear
Corn Corr
Vcen or EW
V. Position
H. Centre
Blue HWB
Green HWB
Red HWB
B&W Delay

Galdelico

Ok, well... Clearly, not all Trinitrons share the same service menu. :D
If you want to get in touch via PM, I can see if I can help on there, without going full chat-mode here.

MattyH

Ok, well... Clearly, not all Trinitrons share the same service menu. :D
If you want to get in touch via PM, I can see if I can help on there, without going full chat-mode here.

yeah il just note down the values ive got and drop them in a PM thanks

Peltz

I'll second having heard from a couple of sources that Voultar is supposed to be good.

Gah... I was about to order and his site just changed. Now it says $0.00 for the NES RGB mod. His site looked totally different when you originally posted the link.

I hope it's just in the middle of being updated because it looked legit before.

One day, I'll have perfect RGB output from my NES system. It will be so glorious.

dubc35

Gah... I was about to order and his site just changed. Now it says $0.00 for the NES RGB mod. His site looked totally different when you originally posted the link.

I hope it's just in the middle of being updated because it looked legit before.

One day, I'll have perfect RGB output from my NES system. It will be so glorious.

I watched a bit of the interview linked previously (on youtube with RetroRGB). He said he was doing all orders via email at the time since his site was so bad (his opinion). You might want to just email him.

Peltz

I watched a bit of the interview linked previously (on youtube with RetroRGB). He said he was doing all orders via email at the time since his site was so bad (his opinion). You might want to just email him.

Cool. Thanks for letting me know.

Galdelico

When did you pay?

I just paid for mine earlier today.

On Thursday, late afternoon. I missed the daily shipping, so my unit has been dispatched the day after, on Friday.
I guess if you paid in the morning/early afternoon, you can expect your package to be shipped the same day.

Edit, so I won't double post - I was wondering about RGB cables to use with the OSSC... I'm not in a massive urge to get 100% set-up right now, as I'll upgrade to a new monitor around/after Christmas. Still, these are my retro systems and the cables I'm currently using them with, on my CRT TV:

- PAL Original XBOX -> official Microsoft S-Video and RGB scart cables (I mostly use S-Video)
- PAL GameCube -> official Nintendo RGB scart cable (both my consoles don't come with a digital-out, so I'm forced to stick with RGB scart... It still looks good though, even great with the GBI)
- Japanese and PAL PlayStation 2 -> official Sony RGG scart cable (I've also got a third-party component cable for them, but I can't use it on my Trinitron)
- Japanese Saturn and Japanese Mega Drive 2 + Mega-CD 2 -> third-party Euro RGB scart cables, not C-Sync (I've bought them both from thefoo.83... This is the Saturn cable, this is the one for the MD2)

Will I need to replace any of said cables, in order for them to work properly/give me the best possible IQ with the OSSC?

On Thursday, late afternoon. I missed the daily shipping, so my unit has been dispatched the day after, on Friday.
I guess if you paid in the morning/early afternoon, you can expect your package to be shipped the same day.

Edit, so I won't double post - I was wondering about RGB cables to use with the OSSC... I'm not in a massive urge to get 100% set-up right now, as I'll upgrade to a new monitor around/after Christmas. Still, these are my retro systems and the cables I'm currently using them with, on my CRT TV:

- PAL Original XBOX -> official Microsoft S-Video and RGB scart cables (I mostly use S-Video)
- PAL GameCube -> official Nintendo RGB scart cable (both my consoles don't come with a digital-out, so I'm forced to stick with RGB scart... It still looks good though, even great with the GBI)
- Japanese and PAL PlayStation 2 -> official Sony RGG scart cable (I've also got a third-party component cable for them, but I can't use it on my Trinitron)
- Japanese Saturn and Japanese Mega Drive 2 + Mega-CD 2 -> third-party Euro RGB scart cables, not C-Sync (I've bought them both from thefoo.83... This is the Saturn cable, this is the one for the MD2)

Will I need to replace any of said cables, in order for them to work properly/give me the best possible IQ with the OSSC?
no S-video on the OSSC as far as I'm aware. If you're getting audio from the SCART cables, you'll need an extra board to integrate audio, or you'll need to break it out/get it from the console via a seperate cable.

Fallen92

Since the OSSC doesn't have nor support s-video inputs you're going to have to use the SCART cable for you Xbox that being said I think it'd be better to get yourself some component cables for the Xbox since that would allow you to play almost all of your games with a progressive signal instead of an interlaced one.

Both your GameCube and PS2 SCART cables should work fine specially since they're official and you wanna use the SCART on PS2 since it not only gives you a better picture but the OSSC supports RGsB so you can play PS2 games in 480p over SCART if they have a 480p mode.

As for your Saturn and Genesis, those cables will probably work and the only thing you might have to do is adjust the analog sync LPF (Low pass filter) setting on the OSSC to get them working. If you any problems with the video signal with those cables then you can think about replacing them with csync ones.

Both your GameCube and PS2 SCART cables should work fine specially since they're official and you wanna use the SCART on PS2 since it not only gives you a better picture but the OSSC supports RGsB so you can play PS2 games in 480p over SCART if they have a 480p mode.
Moreover, the PS2 scart output is cleaner than the component, so RGsB SCART is the highest quality signal you'll get out of a PS2.

Fallen92

no S-video on the OSSC as far as I'm aware. If you're getting audio from the SCART cables, you'll need an extra board to integrate audio, or you'll need to break it out/get it from the console via a seperate cable.
I don't think you need to do that to get audio from SCART, at least not anymore, since the wiki says:
"Analog audio from SCART input is bypassed to a 3.5mm stereo output jack next to video output connector."
I think he just needs a normal 3.5mm audio cable to get sound. Unless I'm misunderstanding?

I don't think you need to do that to get audio from SCART, at least not anymore, since the wiki says:
"Analog audio from SCART input is bypassed to a 3.5mm stereo output jack next to video output connector."
I think he just needs a normal 3.5mm audio cable to get sound. Unless I'm misunderstanding?

Ah I had forgotten that. You're probably right. I break out audio so I'm not totally up to date with that.

Galdelico

Thanks everyone. ;)

no S-video on the OSSC as far as I'm aware.

Since the OSSC doesn't have nor support s-video inputs you're going to have to use the SCART cable for you Xbox.

Oh sure, I'm aware that the OSSC doesn't support S-Video. I mentioned it only because it's what I'm using at the moment to connect the XBOX to my CRT TV.

That being said I think it'd be better to get yourself some component cables for the Xbox since that would allow you to play almost all of your games with a progressive signal instead of an interlaced one.

As for your Saturn and Genesis, those cables will probably work and the only thing you might have to do is adjust the analog sync LPF (Low pass filter) setting on the OSSC to get them working. If you any problems with the video signal with those cables then you can think about replacing them with csync ones.

Moreover, the PS2 scart output is cleaner than the component, so RGsB SCART is the highest quality signal you'll get out of a PS2.

Awesome, thank you again.

I went for Euro scart RGB cables (for the Saturn and the MD) because I had some serious problems with both Saturn C-Sync cables I bought from Retrogamingcables.uk... Since they couldn't figure out whether the cables were faulty or not - later on, I found out it could've depended on some Saturn model 2 motherboards acting kinda weird with C-Sync - I just moved on and ordered regular ones from TheFoo83. I'll see if they work, before doing anything else.

Just out of curiosity, is component still preferable over RGB scart, on a PAL XBOX (not sure how many 480p games we got, here in Europe)?

Yeah, that's how it should work. On top of that, I'm already using a Creative audio set, to bypass the weaker speakers of my TV.

Einhandr

Does anyone know how often retrogamingcables refreshes stock? I'm looking to buy some PAL GameCube RGB with the sync stripper built in but they've been out of stock for the last week. Should I just email them to see if they can make me one rather than just waiting?

Ashby

Finally got my PC Engine running RGB to my PVM. Good freakin' Lord. I was hoping for a modest improvement at best but I really was not prepared for just HOW MUCH better it looks than composite. It's stunning!

Fallen92

Just out of curiosity, is component still preferable over RGB scart, on a PAL XBOX (not sure how many 480p games we got, here in Europe)?

Oh well in that case RGB SCART is the way to go since the PAL region got shafted when it came to 480p or higher signal support with only a couple of games supporting it.

You could softmodd it though it's not too difficult and you can switch your Xbox's region to NTSC and benefit from 480p and also importing NTSC games. Not sure if it's worth it for you personally though.

Fallen92

Spent most of today playing outrun 2 through rgb on ps2 beautiful game still to this day
It really is an amazing looking game. I was playing the Xbox version through component and it blew me away still. Wish I had Outrun coast to coast on Xbox but I haven't been able to find one for cheap.

Finally got my PC Engine running RGB to my PVM. Good freakin' Lord. I was hoping for a modest improvement at best but I really was not prepared for just HOW MUCH better it looks than composite. It's stunning!

It's like jumping from DVD to Blu Ray. :eek:D

Timu

It really is an amazing looking game. I was playing the Xbox version through component and it blew me away still. Wish I had Outrun coast to coast on Xbox but I haven't been able to find one for cheap.
I have Outrun 2 on Xbox but seeing prices for Coast to Coast is pushing me towards the PS2 version which is like 20 some bucks. I wonder why the Xbox version is over 100 bucks CIB.

Timu

It's like a night and day difference, truly worth it.

Fallen92

I have Outrun 2 on Xbox but seeing prices for Coast to Coast is pushing me towards the PS2 version which is like 20 some bucks. I wonder why the Xbox version is over 100 bucks CIB.
Yeah it's ridiculous especially since the PS2 version is so much cheaper. I guess coast to coast didn't sell many copies on Xbox so it's "rarer" on it. Still, one can dream *sigh*.

Khaz

Does anyone know where you can get an RGB modded NES Top Loader? They're rare as hell...

You're better off doing it yourself, or buying the parts and sending them to a modder. It would most likely be cheaper too.

They're rare because people do theirs and stop there, the few you see on sale are from people changing hobby or needing some cash.

Einhandr

I don't have my PCE running though a PVM, but I do have mine with a grafx booster running to my VP30 and holy shit you're not kidding, it's gorgeous. What are you running to get RGB on yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom