• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, got mine too. I'm on the fence right now. With the way it's going through the waiting list it will probably be for general sale in the not to distant future.

Peagles

There up to 1183 so if you're within 100 orders of that then you still have a chance to make it.

Hmm nah just outside of that high 1200s. Oh well maybe next time. Although I'll likely have a newborn in the next couple of weeks so if I don't order now I might not get around to it, lol.

Galdelico

Same here man. Now I just need to work things out with my bank so that they actually let me buy the damn thing without declining my card.

Arg, do they really only accept payments through credit card?
After a pretty awful experience a couple years ago, I promised myself to never put a cc online again (I know it's silly, but I still freak out when I think about what happened), so - since then - I only use PayPal and, if possible, the debit card tied to my PayPal account. I asked the guy who emailed me to clarify, because it would be almost comical to be actually unable to complete the purchase, now. :D

Edit - Just got a reply, debit cards seem fine and accepted. Just for information's sake, I'll give you an update tomorrow.

Einhandr

I got the notification email too, right now!
I totally didn't expect this, can't believe I made in this batch. O_O

Congrats on getting yours! I think Bucko said they're about halfway through the 500 units now. Must have been a lot of people who signed up and couldn't or didn't want to commit.

Fallen92

Arg, do they really only accept payments through credit card?
After a pretty awful experience a couple years ago, I promised myself to never put a cc online again (I know it's silly, but I still freak out when I think about what happened), so - since then - I only use PayPal and, if possible, the debit card tied to my PayPal account. I asked the guy who emailed me to clarify, because it would be almost comical to be actually unable to complete the purchase, now. :D

Edit - Just got a reply, debit cards seem fine and accepted. Just for information's sake, I'll give you an update tomorrow.
Yeah I use PayPal too so I'm relieved to hear that they accept debit. Thanks for letting me know hopefully everything goes well.

Fallen92

Hmm nah just outside of that high 1200s. Oh well maybe next time. Although I'll likely have a newborn in the next couple of weeks so if I don't order now I might not get around to it, lol.
Ah yeah you're just shy. Not sure how many more he has left or if this is the last couple he had so you may still have some hope.

Voliko

My OSSC should be here soon. If it lives up to the hype I want to retire my CRT and FM and buy the fastest modern monitor I can find. I've been using a CRT for a while, have had an FM for years but only played a couple of games on it. The noise on that thing is too much. I've come to realize that I would rather take the tradeoffs with using a modern display coupled with a scaler or linedoubler if it means having pixel perfect geometry. Honestly thinking about just emulating as an option as well...

Kawika

I just bought a Extron Crosspoint 300 42 HVA. Does anyone know what cable I need to google to route my audio inputs?

My OSSC should be here soon. If it lives up to the hype I want to retire my CRT and FM and buy the fastest modern monitor I can find. I've been using a CRT for a while, have had an FM for years but only played a couple of games on it. The noise on that thing is too much. I've come to realize that I would rather take the tradeoffs with using a modern display coupled with a scaler or linedoubler if it means having pixel perfect geometry. Honestly thinking about just emulating as an option as well...
144hz monitors are God's gift to man

Galdelico

Congrats on getting yours! I think Bucko said they're about halfway through the 500 units now. Must have been a lot of people who signed up and couldn't or didn't want to commit.

Thanks. ;)
Yeah, I've got the same feeling. I was past 1100, and sincerely didn't expect to get into this wave. And it seems like they still have quite a few units ready to go.

Yeah I use PayPal too so I'm relieved to hear that they accept debit. Thanks for letting me know hopefully everything goes well.

You must have found it out, by now, but my payment went through no problem. All good with VISA debit cards.

Once again, don't give up hope yet. When Matt replied to me last night, he said they still have 'plenty of units' ready to be offered to those who are waiting. You may be able to luck one out of this batch.

144hz monitors are God's gift to man

I'll get my new monitor after Christmas, now, but I was looking at something like these two Asus models: the 27", which would be just the perfect size, and it's pivotable too, but it seems to get alot of negative reviews due to the usual problems you can run into with IPS screens (bleeding and dead pixels for the most part). The 24" appears to get higher scores, in spite of being TN, but I'm afraid it would be a tad too small for my setup.
Not sure I even want to look at top tier stuff like the ROG Swift, considering I don't own (and I'm not interested in) a PS4/XBOX One/gaming PC.

Peltz

I know we are supposed to focus on retro systems in this thread, but I hope no one will mind a brief question on the 3DS (which I consider be somewhat retro).

So I own an OG 3DS, 3DS XL, and N3DSXL.

On Black Friday, the New 3DS will be available from all retailers for just $99.

I think I'm going to pick one up due to the increased pixel density because I feel like the XL's screen is too large to do the games justice.

My only question is this: How well are the screens calibrated on the normal sized N3DS compared to the N3DSXL? The N3DSXL has better contrast ratio and clearer colors than my other two 3DS systems. But for some reason, the original 3DS (not XL) still looks the best to my eyes visually, even with regard to color accuracy. N3DSXL, in comparison, seems to have a very cool color temperature which isn't very enjoyable to look at in my humble opinion, despite far better contrast.

Does anyone know how the normal sized N3DS screen compares? I am going to go to the Nintendo Store in NY in a few minutes to compare, but has anyone heard anything about whether there's any manufacturing variance in the calibration of N3DS screens?

For instance: it seemed like getting nicely calibrated DS-lite screens back in the day was a bit of lottery. But every DSiXL screen I've seen has looked perfect from a color representation standpoint. (Unfortunately, I still think the screens are a bit too big).

So, is the N3DS a lottery or do all the screens look the same? Because it seems like Nintendo is unpredictable in how it cobbles together its DS-line of systems on the manufacturing chain.

Galdelico

Very surprised to see my number come up, too. I was up there in the 1100-1200s.

Looks like the most eager ones on here managed to grab their unit, in the end. Congrats everyone. :)

Yeah I did. All that's left now is to wait for it to show up. Can't wait to try it out.

Nice! And yeah, can't wait either.
Also, AVGAF, get your OSSC for Dummies ready. I tried to give the Wiki a quick read, and this is how I feel...

l3v4P3s.jpg

Einhandr

Looks like the most eager ones on here managed to grab their unit, in the end. Congrats everyone. :)

Nice! And yeah, can't wait either.
Also, AVGAF, get your OSSC for Dummies ready. I tried to give the Wiki a quick read, and this is how I feel...

l3v4P3s.jpg

Eating lunch, basically spit my food out when I scrolled down to that image. That's exactly how I felt! A few of us should be getting ours around the same time so we could learn from each other. As In to this stuff as I am, im admittedly stil a novice. Any scaler/RGB problems I've run into so far I've either resorted to:

A) bang my head against the wall until I make a hole.

B) waste more money trying different things until I find that right thing that works.

C) Google for hours until I realize that I'm actually looking at different pages of the same three threads on the shmup forums.

Galdelico

Eating lunch, basically spit my food out when I scrolled down to that image. That's exactly how I felt! A few of us should be getting ours around the same time so we could learn from each other. As In to this stuff as I am, im admittedly stil a novice. Any scaler/RGB problems I've run into so far I've either resorted to:

B) waste more money trying different things until I find that right thing that works.

C) Google for hours until I realize that I'm actually looking at different pages of the same three threads on the shmup forums.

Aw man, sorry for your food!
We share alot, and I completely see myself in your 3-points-list. :D

That said, you're most definitely right. There will be more of us getting started with the OSSC pretty much at the same time, and I'm sure this will also make things easier for those like... Me.

what's this OSSC? is it like XRGB mini... i need to do some research after reading these posts about ordering one =)

Take a look here, Dave:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/07/08/source-converter-verdict/
and
https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

If you scroll down, there are links, reviews etc...
The OSSC - Open Source Scan Converter - is not a proper scaler, and compared to the Framemeister, on top of being noticeably cheaper and uglier looking, offers quite alot of goodness, especially with 240p sources.

I mean, how gorgeous does the Saturn look through this little box?

Peagles

Once again, don't give up hope yet. When Matt replied to me last night, he said they still have 'plenty of units' ready to be offered to those who are waiting. You may be able to luck one out of this batch.

Thanks :) I'm not giving up hope just yet. I'm just aware I could pop any day now and will probably descent into a universe devoid from the internet when that happens. Hope the timing works out!

Fallen92

l3v4P3s.jpg
Wow o haven't looked at the wiki yet but I know what to expect now xD. Like other are saying we can help each other decipher that wiki and find good settings for our set up. I wouldn't mind providing some tips and working towards a FAQ once I get the OSSC so any new people could learn from our tinkering.

Peltz

what's this OSSC? is it like XRGB mini... i need to do some research after reading these posts about ordering one =)

It's a different type of upscaler that does not have a framebuffer. This means it has far less options but it also has no input lag.

For the most part only upscales to 480p, then your HDTV must scale it from there. But by every account that I've seen, it offers a far better image than the Framemeister and I would gladly trade my FM for an OSSC.

Check out this review for more details:

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ossc.html

It also appears to be the best thing to happen for Dreamcast fans who want to play on HDTV's without a VGA port.

Aw man, sorry for your food!
We share alot, and I completely see myself in your 3-points-list. :D

That said, you're most definitely right. There will be more of us getting started with the OSSC pretty much at the same time, and I'm sure this will also make things easier for those like... Me.

Take a look here, Dave:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/2016/07/08/source-converter-verdict/
and
https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

If you scroll down, there are links, reviews etc...
The OSSC - Open Source Scan Converter - is not a proper scaler, and compared to the Framemeister, on top of being noticeably cheaper and uglier looking, offers quite alot of goodness, especially with 240p sources.

I mean, how gorgeous does the Saturn look through this little box?

It's a different type of upscaler that does not have a framebuffer. This means it has far less options but it also has no input lag.

For the most part only upscales to 480p, then your HDTV must scale it from there. But by every account that I've seen, it offers a far better image than the Framemeister and I would gladly trade my FM for an OSSC.

Check out this review for more details:

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ossc.html

It also appears to be the best thing to happen for Dreamcast fans who want to play on HDTV's without a VGA port.

Galdelico, Peltz. thanks for the links, i'm reading them while taking a break to eat lunch.

A couple years ago I had a really bad few days where I just binged on information about analog video signals, how it relates to how a CRT works, trying to figure out what I'd need to make my own line doubler in an FPGA... it was just totally consuming me.

Good thing was coming out the other side with a lot of info on how this all works.

TeaJay

Gonna ask this here too:

A friend of mine claims that turning CRT's or PVM's sideways in tate mode might cause damage because the components inside them can be connected in a way that's not meant to support their weight sideways. I'm not tech savvy enough to comment if it's true or not. Does anyone here know enough about the insides of those monitors to comment?

Gonna ask this here too:

A friend of mine claims that turning CRT's or PVM's sideways in tate mode might cause damage because the components inside them can be connected in a way that's not meant to support their weight sideways. I'm not tech savvy enough to comment if it's true or not. Does anyone here know enough about the insides of those monitors to comment?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_orientation#Rotation_of_CRT_monitors
Rotation of CRT monitors
Very few CRT monitors are designed to permit rotation into portrait mode. It is not wise to turn a standard CRT monitor or television on its side due to a number of technical issues:
  • The cooling vents are normally designed for natural air convection flow from bottom to top; turning the case sideways can lead to unintended heat buildup and component failure.
  • The typical CRT monitor plastic case is not designed to sit stably when turned sideways without a custom-made supporting stand.
  • The weight of a large CRT is typically meant to bear on the base frame. A plastic case may flex or crack if the CRT weight is supported only by the thin plastic surround

Galdelico

Thanks :) I'm not giving up hope just yet. I'm just aware I could pop any day now and will probably descent into a universe devoid from the internet when that happens. Hope the timing works out!

Congrats dude, what's going to happen to you is way more exciting than just getting an OSSC. :)
Fingers crossed, though, you can always keep it aside until you can finally squeeze some gaming out of your free time again.

Wow o haven't looked at the wiki yet but I know what to expect now xD. Like other are saying we can help each other decipher that wiki and find good settings for our set up. I wouldn't mind providing some tips and working towards a FAQ once I get the OSSC so any new people could learn from our tinkering.

Dude, that would be awesome, a total blessing.
And of course, very glad to contribute, as limited as my knowledge of such wizardries comes.

I've been meaning to get to the bottom of this for a while. I have a Genesis 2/Sega CD 2/32x outputting scart. Do I need a special scart cable to output the stereo cd audio? The audio from the scart is kind of distorted, maybe the mono signal. This happens if I run it out of the 32x or the Genesis. Definitely not the same signal I get outputting directly from the sega cd rca. Am I missing something or is it a bad cable.

Peagles

Congrats dude, what's going to happen to you is way more exciting than just getting an OSSC. :)
Fingers crossed, though, you can always keep it aside until you can finally squeeze some gaming out of your free time again.

Just got my email :D Gonna order when I get home from work!

Edit: Actually scratch that, re-read the email and thought I better order ASAP so battled through in mobile. Done! Babby better appreciate retro games :p

Just got my email :D Gonna order when I get home from work!

Edit: Actually scratch that, re-read the email and thought I better order ASAP so battled through in mobile. Done! Babby better appreciate retro games :p

play chip tunes to him/her. Gotta get that power of suggestion going early.

BTails

Peagles, congrats and good luck! As a recent father, I can easily say you're in for the time of your life, OSSC or not.

And get used to putting retro games on hold! The only gaming I've had time for recently is anything that can be put on hold at a moment's notice. Vita, 3DS and PS4 are great for this!

I skipped on OSSC, waiting for 1080p solution down the road but I'm really glad that so many others got what they want.

FWIW pro monitors should have no problem with TATE if they have side vents.

televator

I skipped on OSSC, waiting for 1080p solution down the road but I'm really glad that so many others got what they want.

FWIW pro monitors should have no problem with TATE if they have side vents.

You holding off too? Yeah, I keep hoping someone else takes a crack at offering a more fully featured device based on the same design.

You holding off too? Yeah, I keep hoping someone else takes a crack at offering a more fully featured device based on the same design.

To me the OSSC is the Retro AVS which is great for a lot of people but I want the Analogue NT Mini so I wait. If I have to pay more that's fine too.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Oh, I had gotten the OSSC email yesterday. Almost missed it.
Guess I have to try it out.

To me the OSSC is the Retro AVS which is great for a lot of people but I want the Analogue NT Mini so I wait. If I have to pay more that's fine too.

Is that possible? The OSSC isn't technically a scaler, and just a line doubler no?
It does 480p (240x2) and 720p (240x3) but 1080 is 4.5x.

But 2160p (240x9)... maybe?

televator

Is that possible? The OSSC isn't technically a scaler, and just a line doubler no?

With a framebuffer thrown in and the fact that it's already FPGA based, I think it's possible that it can switch between scaling and line multiplication functions. Heck, the PS3 has an option to either scale on multiply DVD movies.

Windowbox and cropping options at 1080p. Still integer. Preferable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom