• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

What's best way to go in terms of ps1 games on crt use my ps2 or hook up my old audiophile psx

PS2 has optical out. So if you have a good receiver, the PS2 has better audio option. PS2 might make dithering worse on ps1 games, but a CRT might mask it anyway. It'd be a different story on a flat panel.

Galdelico

So guys, I'm doing my first tests with the OSSC, everything seems to work just perfect, yet I'm having some troubles setting it up (it's certainly due to my monitor)... For examples, scanlines. LineX3 works fine, I'm in generic 4:3, scanlines 87% aligned to bottom, but it looks like a line every other one is lighter than the the previous and the next one. Any tip on what I should tweak?

Edit - to be honest, they don't seem perfecly even either. I've set them on auto.

Self-quote because, after some testing last night, I can tell it's most likely my monitor not being able to display LineX3 100% correctly. It's pretty old, and I was totally expecting some issues with that mode mode.
Line Double, on the other hand - aside from outputting at a slightly wider ratio, even with the screen forced to 4:3 (but I've read that's normal) - looks pretty phenomenal.

I mean:

BK_zpsmz8nz9am.png

FFCD_zpsyyqefr6q.png

Sonic_zps9wfkbelc.png

Wow...

Gorgeous!

It really is, in spite of the 'fatter' look and the less vibrant colors. In a way, the rougher rendering makes it feel more analogue, to my eyes.
And, needless to say, this is pushing me to buy a new monitor way before I planned to. Wallet is already dead.

Crynox

Neo Member
Hi guys Im wondering if anybody can help me figure something out ?

I'm using my OSSC primarily, (at first), to play Original Xbox games on my PC CRT monitor. This was driven by the fact that I really wanted to play in 480P/Progressive.

I have one NTSC game which is Splinter Cell and, it looks fantastic, better than 480i on my PVM which was expected.

However as I'm in Pal land, (UK), all of the rest of my games are not the NTSC versions. I heard that as well as switching my Xbox region via Enigmah I would have to get NTSC games to be able to play in 480P. Yet I've tried a handful of my Pal games and they seem to work ? What I mean is, the OSSC reports 525P, (which is another thing, does this mean that a Pal Xbox runs 480P games at a higher resolution ?). The other games do look better but I want to be 100% sure.

Do I need to re purchase my library or not ?

Cheers.

zmet

I got my OSSC last week and I'm wondering what are the correct euro scart cables I should be buying for it to get the best picture quality from it. I have a Japanese Saturn, Genesis 1 & 2, PS2 and U.S. SNES/SFC.

Crynox

Neo Member
I got my OSSC last week and I'm wondering what are the correct euro scart cables I should be buying for it to get the best picture quality from it. I have a Japanese Saturn, Genesis 1 & 2, PS2 and U.S. SNES/SFC.

RGB Scart cables of each.

dubc35

Wow, those shots do look amazing! I am close to a yes on purchasing one when my number gets called. Do we know when the next batch will go out? I realize one just did but there's a chance I could be on the next one (1800's).

Galdelico

Keep 'em coming! :D

Looking good!!

Wow, those shots do look amazing! I am close to a yes on purchasing one when my number gets called. Do we know when the next batch will go out? I realize one just did but there's a chance I could be on the next one (1800's).

Thanks. ;)

A couple more... First a few zooms, just to show how good and authentic OSSC scanlines can look (they are at 100% in Line Double)

Mix_zpsvpym66iz.png

and then - apologies for the craptastic quality - this one to confirm that it's actually possible to pixel-perfectly cut off the Mega Drive overscan, once the image is centered.

Overscan_zpsmhe4ed0k.png

Curious thing, though (I don't know if it's once again my not-so-up-to-date monitor causing this, or the Mega Drive itself), some games seem to require specific centering anyway... It happened to me that I set the mask and the H/V backporch with Sonic, but then I had to H-center the frame a second time, with Bari-Arm on the Mega CD. Once again, it could be the monitor being a bit stupid...

That said, my old Asus didn't like my Japanese PS2 at all. Y_Y
I couldn't get any sync on AV1 RGsB, but only on RGBS, yet sync drops were constant, making the PlayStation2 (unmodded NTSC-J system, connected to the OSSC through a Sony branded RGB scart cable) a complete no go.
I must say that I had no clue about what to look into, in order to fine-tune 480i - or whether or not PS2-specific settings for the OSSC even exist - so I decided to suspend the tests, and hook everything up again once I'll get my new display.

Speaking of which, any tips on what I should look at?
Basically, I'd like to buy a 27" which can be rotated for TATE games, perfectly compatible with LineX3 mode and good for both 240p sources and PS2/XBOX/GameCube as well. Not really sure I need a 4K screen - I don't own a gaming PC, an XBOX One or a PS4 - and I'm not too fond of IPS panels, due to some shortcomings that still worry me alot. Basically, it would be for retrogaming only.
There are two Asus monitors I'm eyeing around:

Asus Rog Swift PG278Q

Asus MG278Q

Any of you using a recent monitor has some suggestion?

Galdelico

your cable might be composite video for sync, which i believe the ossc isn't a fan of.

You mean the PS2 cable? If so, I have no clue. It's one of those official Sony cables that were sold in EU when the console came out. On the box, it's called Euro AV Cable.

Edit - Also, I'm pretty sure that my RGB cable for the MegaDrive II (and for the Saturn too, but I didn't test that system yet) is composite video for Sync, as it was advertised as 'euro AV RGB cable' by the manufacturer. Could it be the reason why my Japanese MDII looks odd in LineX3 mode?

your cable might be composite video for sync, which i believe the ossc isn't a fan of.

Yeah so about that. The more I've been reading about SCART the more it sounds like composite video as sync is the "to spec" way to wire things up. Modern equipment like the OSSC and FM that don't do well with them are just lacking a sync stripper that old TVs would universally have.

I think the right thing to do things in this case, rather than buy all new cables, would be to wire a sync stripper into say a SCART extension lead for the OSSC. I know some people sell SCART to 8-pin-mini-din cables with a sync stripper built in for the FM, but it doesn't seem like an extension is easily available.

Yeah so about that. The more I've been reading about SCART the more it sounds like composite video as sync is the "to spec" way to wire things up. Modern equipment like the OSSC and FM that don't do well with them are just lacking a sync stripper that old TVs would universally have.

I think the right thing to do things in this case, rather than buy all new cables, would be to wire a sync stripper into say a SCART extension lead for the OSSC. I know some people sell SCART to 8-pin-mini-din cables with a sync stripper built in for the FM, but it doesn't seem like an extension is easily available.
I think, more likely, it's a matter of a consumer vs professional spec difference. If composite video for sync was the to spec sync wiring as you say, it seems extremely strange that some professional monitors would need csync

I think, more likely, it's a matter of a consumer vs professional spec difference. If composite video for sync was the to spec sync wiring as you say, it seems extremely strange that some professional monitors would need csync

PVMs (usually?) didn't take SCART, they took RGB over BNC connectors.

Galdelico

To me, it would be probably easier - as in, less confusing - to just buy new C-Sync cables for all my systems. I'd need 4 of them I believe - Mega Drive, Saturn, PS2 and GameCube - and probably a component cable for my XBOX.
Only thing is... I already had issues with C-Sync cables on my Japanese model 2 Saturn. I guess I'll try everything up again once I upgraded the monitor, and see if all those anomalies still persist. In case, I'll switch to new cables.

I'd go for luma sync for PS2. it'll work on almost everything a csync cable will work on, typically for a bit cheaper.
Good, I'll look for one of those then. Thanks. ;)

PVMs (usually?) didn't take SCART, they took RGB over BNC connectors.
Oh, duh. I'm with you, then.
To me, it would be probably easier - as in, less confusing - to just buy new C-Sync cables for all my systems. I'd need 4 of them I believe - Mega Drive, Saturn, PS2 and GameCube - and probably a component cable for my XBOX.
I'd go for luma sync for PS2. it'll work on almost everything a csync cable will work on, typically for a bit cheaper.

Peagles

Doesn't the OSSC already include a sync cleaner? Is that different to a sync stripper?

I really want to upload some photos, might have a go today. I'm just finding it very difficult to move around lmao.

I think composite video as sync is fine. I've used my Wii RGB Scart cable which uses composite video as sync..
My impression is that it'll take it, but some folks have found sync issues are resolved by using csync or luma.

Might be that folks are attributing the cable issues to the wrong thing, though.

Crynox

Neo Member
My impression is that it'll take it, but some folks have found sync issues are resolved by using csync or luma.

Might be that folks are attributing the cable issues to the wrong thing, though.

Yeah maybe, it's all a bit new for all of us. Just need some more people to get some experience before the absolute facts emerge..

johnhandy

I think there are some issues with my SNES. I haven't turned it on in a few years (~10 years?) and recently tried it with an OSSC and a SCART cable. Certain colors seem to produce a jailbar effect, but it's not consistent across the screen.
This looks like it's only across the 'score' and the right bottom of the visible part of the building.

The effect shows up in the Turtles in Time' text here, and on the pink/purple foot soldiers and the wrecking ball in the first level.

Any ideas if it's a power issue or something else? I've ruled out cables, screen, and OSSC ssince the same thing happens with the stock composite A/V cable and trying both cables on different sets. Thanks.

EDIT: Don't think it's related to OSSC in this case because I see the same issue without it while plugged in via stock composite cable.

Timu

I think there are some issues with my SNES. I haven't turned it on in a few years (~10 years?) and recently tried it with an OSSC and a SCART cable. Certain colors seem to produce a jailbar effect, but it's not consistent across the screen.

This looks like it's only across the 'score' and the right bottom of the visible part of the building.

The effect shows up in the Turtles in Time' text here, and on the pink/purple foot soldiers and the wrecking ball in the first level.

Any ideas if it's a power issue or something else? I've ruled out cables and screens since the same thing happens with the stock composite A/V cable and trying both cables on different sets. Thanks.
From what I heard it seems the OSSC has issues with SNES.

Timu

Don't think it's related to OSSC in this case because I see the same issue without it while plugged in via stock composite cable. Edited original post to be more clear.

most of the snes issues with the OSSC aren't actually the fault of the OSSC, so much as TVs not being tolerant of off-spec signals, which the snes outputs.
Thanks for explaining this, guess it's something else.

Conezays

I feel like my PVM's been making slightly more sound upon startup/degaussing than it did in the past (or I'm going crazy). Is this anything to worry about?

Edit: False alarm, seems to just be due to when my speakers are on (with the gscartsw); no noise when they're off. Well...let this be a lesson to any other fools like me out there :p

Mega

Banned
Does the OSSC linedouble 480p? From a Dreamcast or Wii. Says it can be done in the wiki but this is all new to me and I really can't tell how to toggle this on/off with the remote.

480p/576p lineX2
Controls whether EDTV sources are linedoubled and 2x integer scaled horizontally
Off: 480p/576p sources are output as is. [default]
On: 480p/576p sources are linedoubled and 2x scaled horizontally. With 480p sources, resulting output mode is 1440x960 or 1280x960 depending on 480p in sampler setting. With 576p sources, resulting output mode is 1440x1152. NOTE: these output modes are best compatible with CRTs/PC monitors/capture cards - not many flat-panel TVs accept / show them correctly.

Brhoom

Banned
Does the OSSC linedouble 480p? From a Dreamcast or Wii. Says it can be done in the wiki but this is all new to me and I really can't tell how to toggle this on/off with the remote.

480p/576p lineX2
Controls whether EDTV sources are linedoubled and 2x integer scaled horizontally
On: 480p/576p sources are linedoubled and 2x scaled horizontally. With 480p sources, resulting output mode is 1440x960 or 1280x960 depending on 480p in sampler setting. With 576p sources, resulting output mode is 1440x1152. NOTE: these output modes are best compatible with CRTs/PC monitors/capture cards - not many flat-panel TVs accept / show them correctly.

According to Mylifeingaming video about the OSSC it can, they also show it as well.

bodine1231

Man I'm so fed up with my PVM's geometry,I'm SOOO close to just buying a Framemeister and being done with it. I spent hours this weekend messing with it and I just cannot get it straight,now its all I see and its driving me nuts!

I'm playing most games on a hacked Wii but I'm in the process of buying all the systems and running Everdrives on them so I'm not sure if I should get all that first,or the Framemeister and continue using the Wii for a while. I just sold a bunch of video game stuff so I have about $800 to put towards my retro setup so I'm just deciding on what to get now.

televator

Man I'm so fed up with my PVM's geometry,I'm SOOO close to just buying a Framemeister and being done with it. I spent hours this weekend messing with it and I just cannot get it straight,now its all I see and its driving me nuts!

I'm playing most games on a hacked Wii but I'm in the process of buying all the systems and running Everdrives on them so I'm not sure if I should get all that first,or the Framemeister and continue using the Wii for a while. I just sold a bunch of video game stuff so I have about $800 to put towards my retro setup so I'm just deciding on what to get now.

Join the club. :p

Krelian

and then - apologies for the craptastic quality - this one to confirm that it's actually possible to pixel-perfectly cut off the Mega Drive overscan, once the image is centered.
That looks great. I tried something similar but had trouble centering the picture, so I ended up with a small border on one side. Is that a PAL Mega Drive, too?

Any of you using a recent monitor has some suggestion?
I don't have a suggestion but if you find one, let us know!

Galdelico

Phonedork got an OSSC and is looking to join GAF.

If you see this man, it'll be great to have you.
Awesome news!

That looks great. I tried something similar but had trouble centering the picture, so I ended up with a small border on one side. Is that a PAL Mega Drive, too?
It's a Japanese Mega Drive 2.

This is what I did (keep in mind I tested it in LineX2):

1) I set the vertical/horizontal mask, until it touched one vertical and horizontal side of the frame (so, no more colored overscan was visible, say, at the bottom and on the left)

2) then I counted how many pixels were left visible on the opposite sides, by increasing the mask until it covered them as well

3) I set back the mask as it was at 1)

4) I went to Sampling opt. > Advanced timing tweaker > Horizontal/Vertical backporch length, and changed those settings accordingly (say, I had 2 unmasked pixels at the top and 4 to the right... I moved upwards the vertical backporch by 1, and then the horizontal backporch to the right by 2). The result is that now the overscan's leftovers are symmetrical (1 pixel at the top/bottom, 2 pixels to the left/right)

5) I got back to the mask, and increased it by 1 (v) and 2 (h).

Sounds super complicated, but it's very easy in reality.

Crynox

Neo Member

480p/576p lineX2

I've tried this function with my OG Xbox using a PC CRT. It makes the screen smaller and to be honest, it doesn't seem to make the image much better although perhaps it's just me. I prefer it off.

But line triple mode with 240P source, mmmmm that looks nice, but again a smaller image.. I prefer the screen to be filled although I suppose I could just stretch it using the OSC controls.

televator

I've tried this function with my OG Xbox using a PC CRT. It makes the screen smaller and to be honest, it doesn't seem to make the image much better although perhaps it's just me. I prefer it off.

But line triple mode with 240P source, mmmmm that looks nice, but again a smaller image.. I prefer the screen to be filled although I suppose I could just stretch it using the OSC controls.

It "makes the screen smaller" precisely because it is line doubling 480p to 960p. Which in turn does not fill your 1080p screen. Which is exactly the point. The function exists so you can have 480p fill an exact interger on your screen, resulting in a sharp image.

Madao

i tried linedoubled 480p with the OSSC on my monitor but my monitor only fills the whole screen so it isn't as crisp as it should.

can the OSSC change this or it depends on the monitor? i don't know if it can even do that since it's a rather basic monitor...

Mega

Banned
It "makes the screen smaller" precisely because it is line doubling 480p to 960p. Which in turn does not fill your 1080p screen. Which is exactly the point. The function exists so you can have 480p fill an exact interger on your screen, resulting in a sharp image.

Yeah, I was about to say the same. The Hi-Def NES and UltraHDMI N64 have 4x integer scaling to 960p, which is windowed but highly preferable over 480p output upscaled to 1080p by my display (looks kind of blurry/hazy). Same goes for the GBA emulator on Wii U. I don't know if the OSSC's 960p will remain windowed in a 1080p frame, but even if it isn't, I still think my display will do a better job of upscaling that a bit to 1080p than 480p.

So, what command on the remote does this? I'm pressing the line mult. button (TV/AV) and it does nothing. I feel like I'm missing something because the wiki has a large section of Settings and no instructions on what commands to press in order to use them.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/OSSC#Settings

Krelian

It's a Japanese Mega Drive 2.

This is what I did (keep in mind I tested it in LineX2):

1) I set the vertical/horizontal mask, until it touched one vertical and horizontal side of the frame (so, no more colored overscan was visible, say, at the bottom and on the left)

2) then I counted how many pixels were left visible on the opposite sides, by increasing the mask until it covered them as well

3) I set back the mask as it was at 1)

4) I went to Sampling opt. > Advanced timing tweaker > Horizontal/Vertical backporch length, and changed those settings accordingly (say, I had 2 unmasked pixels at the top and 4 to the right... I moved upwards the vertical backporch by 1, and then the horizontal backporch to the right by 2). The result is that now the overscan's leftovers are symmetrical (1 pixel at the top/bottom, 2 pixels to the left/right)

5) I got back to the mask, and increased it by 1 (v) and 2 (h).

Sounds super complicated, but it's very easy in reality.
Thanks! Will give this a try at home.

So, what command on the remote does this? I'm pressing the line mult. button (TV/AV) and it does nothing. I feel like I'm missing something because the wiki has a large section of Settings and no instructions on what commands to press in order to use them.

I think you're looking for the menu? The first time I pressed the menu button I had to go back one step because I was in a sub menu (I think post proc.)

Crynox

Neo Member
Yeah, I was about to say the same. The Hi-Def NES and UltraHDMI N64 have 4x integer scaling to 960p, which is windowed but highly preferable over 480p output upscaled to 1080p by my display (looks kind of blurry/hazy). Same goes for the GBA emulator on Wii U. I don't know if the OSSC's 960p will remain windowed in a 1080p frame, but even if it isn't, I still think my display will do a better job of upscaling that a bit to 1080p than 480p.

Press menu, then scroll to I think Output Opt. Should find it in there.

Understand what is said above about 480P line doubled on a 1080P display but I'm using an old PC 4:3 CRT which is only 17in to start off with so don't want it any smaller!

I will have to try it with my 42in 1080P TV for comparison.

Galdelico

Is there any risk of blowing/frying something up, by connecting a scart switch box (the Hama AV-100S, in my case) to the OSSC, for the conveniency of not swapping cables all the times on the device's socket? Will I run into a noticeable loss, in terms of image quality?

Peagles

Is there any risk of blowing/frying something up, by connecting a scart switch box (the Hama AV-100S, in my case) to the OSSC, for the conveniency of not swapping cables all the times on the device's socket? Will I run into a noticeable loss, in terms of image quality?

I'm testing mine with my daisy chained switch setup, seems good as ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom