• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaJay

What do you want to hear? OSSC is perfect for you but not within your price range.

You could drop 70 EUR on crap and not be happy, or you can drop 200 or so and actually have something which brings you enjoyment and makes games look correct without lag.

Most of us have dropped serious dough on this stuff because there are no cheaply made products that do this type of thing correctly. If you want good image quality and aren't willing to pay for a premium device and proper cables, then just emulate.

Don't bother with the unknown stuff from random manufacturers that haven't been vetted. You will repeatedly waste your money over and over again.

Any one of us could have warned you against buying the device you bought, because trust me, that's how we all likely got started.... by buying stuff like that. So... I guess what I'm saying is, welcome to the rabbit hole.

What Peltz said. Framemeister and the OSSC are the best choices for a reason. Save up for a little while and spend 200 € instead of 70 €. You'll be much happier.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Quicknquestion: do hd crts have significant input lag? As bad as modern sets? Like are light gun games still unplayable

Peltz

Quicknquestion: do hd crts have significant input lag? As bad as modern sets? Like are light gun games still unplayable

Depends on the HD CRT. Some do scale the image and likely lag. Others don't, (but these are far more rare outside of the context of broadcast monitors).

I would that assume light gun games would be playable on non-scaling HD CRTs and hit or miss on scaling CRTs.

You can convert RGB to vga to hdmi on the cheap (relatively, talking about 100 bucks) but compatibility will be worse than the ossc, let alone the framemeister

ShowDog

I ran a 480i component signal split to two Trinitrons, one a 16:9 HD and one 4:3 SD. Running Burnout Revenge there was about a 16ms difference on the screen timer that I could see when I reviewed 120fps video footage of the two side by side. So there is a little bit of lag when it's upscaling.

Madao

i can vouch for the price thing. it takes some hundreds of wasted dollars on crap to realize the good stuff doesn't come cheap.

Mega

Banned
Will the OSSC be upgradeable to do more than line doubling/tripling? Perhaps implausible if the FPGA isn't powerful enough, but wondering if anyone knows for sure if in the future it could have the functionality to do line multiplication up to 4k/2160p.

Will the OSSC be upgradeable to do more than line doubling/tripling? Perhaps implausible if the FPGA isn't powerful enough, but wondering if anyone knows for sure if in the future it could have the functionality to do line multiplication up to 4k/2160p.
He's starting to run into fpga limitations but I think 4x and 5x are still on the table. Compatibility might be shit though

Mega

Banned
He's starting to run into fpga limitations but I think 4x and 5x are still on the table. Compatibility might be shit though

Thanks. Yeah, I'm already screwed on my TV when it comes up 720p and 960p. It actually sucks as I'm basically using it for 480p passthrough unless I run it through a capture card that can in fact display the higher line-multiplied resolutions. And with the added lag and extra steps (log into PC, boot up Amarec)... it's a little blah.

I ran a 480i component signal split to two Trinitrons, one a 16:9 HD and one 4:3 SD. Running Burnout Revenge there was about a 16ms difference on the screen timer that I could see when I reviewed 120fps video footage of the two side by side. So there is a little bit of lag when it's upscaling.

I think input lag would be identical if you compared a game at 480p on the HD CRT vs same game at 480i on the SD CRT. It's the lack of native 15KHz on some HD sets that necessitates processing and adds lag. If you have a multisync HD CRT than can native display 240p, 480i, 480, etc., there is no lag problem. My JVC HD CRT at 240p/480i has slightly better input lag than the BVM.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm already screwed on my TV when it comes up 720p and 960p. It actually sucks as I'm basically using it for 480p passthrough unless I run it through a capture card that can in fact display the higher line-multiplied resolutions. And with the added lag and extra steps (log into PC, boot up Amarec)... it's a little blah.
It's definitely clear that the ossc is better suited to a computer monitor. Yet to have any issues. Will be testing my SNES this month.

Mega

Banned
It's definitely clear that the ossc is better suited to a computer monitor. Yet to have any issues. Will be testing my SNES this month.

Indeed. I regret so much buying a Korean IPS monitor with no internal scaler. It cannot display anything below 1440p!

LeleSocho

Banned
Meh... i'll stick with what i have then.

OSSC is far less than ideal, it doesn't accept composite or scart and does not output HDMI and even with an adapter it seems that an audio jack is needed to port audio over. Aside all of that it's still way too expensive.

XRGB is ideal but that cost is bonkers and if Framemeister is soon to be dead the price can only go up.

As i said i hardly wanted a perfect image just something that outputs at the correct aspect ratio and doesn't destroy the colors too much, whatever man i'll just stream with that crappy thing i have what can you do.

OSSC is far less than ideal, it doesn't accept composite or scart and does not output HDMI and even with an adapter it seems that an audio jack is needed to port audio over. Aside all of that it's still way too expensive.

XRGB is ideal but that cost is bonkers and if Framemeister is soon to be dead the price can only go up.

Whatever man i'll just stream with that crappy thing i have what can you do.
Ossc takes scart. Can be passively converted to hdmi, audio can be integrated with an add-on board, and it's the cheapest a similar device will be without mass manufacturing. Framemeister will still be msrp on Solaris next year.

Can you please read the thread before you whine about not getting what you want? I know this stuff is new to you, just as it was once to the regulars here, but not educating yourself is a sin.

Mega

Banned
What brand? I've been looking at some of those Korean monitors.

QNIX QX2710. The listing should specify if it does or doesnt have built-in scaler. At the time I bought it strictly for PC use... lack of scaler is a non-issue since the video card takes care of all that. I didn't think I'd be messing around with old native hardware and external scalers at some point in the future.

Timu

Indeed. I regret so much buying a Korean IPS monitor with no internal scaler. It cannot display anything below 1440p!
I love mine I got back in 2013 with that res, for PC gaming, but thankfully I use my capture cards to be able to play console games with that Korean monitor.

I'm looking forward to a new monitor though.

QNIX QX2710.
Dude, that's what I have!!!

QNIX QX2710. The listing should specify if it does or doesnt have built-in scaler. At the time I bought it strictly for PC use... lack of scaler is a non-issue since the video card takes care of all that. I didn't think I'd be messing around with old native hardware and external scalers at some point in the future.
So there's an identical model with internal scaling or do you just mean it's a feature that they make note of?

LeleSocho

Banned
Ossc takes scart. Can be passively converted to hdmi, audio can be integrated with an add-on board, and it's the cheapest a similar device will be without mass manufacturing. Framemeister will still be msrp on Solaris next year.

Can you please read the thread before you whine about not getting what you want? I know this stuff is new to you, just as it was once to the regulars here, but not educating yourself is a sin.

Get the heck out with that "higher that thou" attitude man, if you "read the thread" you would see that i'm literally doing the opposite of complaining but i accepted the fact that there is nothing on the market for me.
The only thing you were right to correct me was inputting scart which my brain confused with s-video for whatever reason and my point still stands with the xrgb price thing as if i ever decided to spend that amount of money i would need to wait at least until next year because i'm not made of money and after the supposedly last batch the price will go up.

Mega

Banned
So there's an identical model with internal scaling or do you just mean it's a feature that they make note of?

Almost identical models. One with DVI that only accepted 1440p or lower resolutions as handled scaled by a video card's scaler. The other had multi inputs (VGA, DVI, HDMI etc) and had more flexibility.

So this one is no good for the OSSC:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...40-SAMSUNG-PLS-Panel-PC-Monitor-/130933173797

But I think this one would suffice:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...E-10-Matte-27-2560x1440-Monitor-/131131920531

Peltz

As i said i hardly wanted a perfect image just something that outputs at the correct aspect ratio and doesn't destroy the colors too much, whatever man i'll just stream with that crappy thing i have what can you do.

I don't agree with your assessment of the OSSC. You should really read up on it. I consider what it does to be better and more pure than the Framemeister.

I'd probably never have bought my Framemeister if the OSSC existed when I got into all this stuff.

Madao

Almost identical models. One with DVI that only accepted 1440p or lower resolutions as handled scaled by a video card's scaler. The other had multi inputs (VGA, DVI, HDMI etc) and had more flexibility.

So this one is no good for the OSSC:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...40-SAMSUNG-PLS-Panel-PC-Monitor-/130933173797

But I think this one would suffice:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...E-10-Matte-27-2560x1440-Monitor-/131131920531

maan, i didn't know 1440p monitors could be that cheap. shows how clueless i'm about the PC side of things (my monitor is 1080p and the first time i put something that wasn't native resolution was testing the OSSC's 960p mode)
i think i'll get one of these after this month is over.

maan, i didn't know 1440p monitors could be that cheap. shows how clueless i'm about the PC side of things (my monitor is 1080p and the first time i put something that wasn't native resolution was testing the OSSC's 960p mode)

Korean monitors are the way to go for cost/performance

Mega

Banned
Why did you buy something like that? Just curious.

The DVI-only monitors could be overclocked to run at a higher-than-60 refresh rate. Typically 96hz, but sometimes up to 120Hz depending on how lucky you got with your individual purchase. Input lag I believe is also around 8ms.

The True10 monitors generally could not be overclocked, have 33~ms lag from the built-in scaler. They may have also cost a little more when I bought the one above. At the time I had no retro consoles, no external scalers and saw no need to own this one when I needed it strictly to play PC games, Dolphin, Retroarch, etc.

These were great when branded 1440p IPS monitors were expensive, but I don't think you should bother anymore as those specs are now the expected minimum. It would be best to look into a more future-proof gaming monitor that has at least some of these features: some sort of adaptive sync or high max refresh, very low input lag, maybe even 4K resolution and HDR. The panel quality will probably end up being better too.

Timu

Well it's more res that the developer intended. I understand tha it interferes with your game capturing, but I'd be more angry about there not being enough modern devices that don't quickly handle 480i/240p switching.
Yes, this is true, this has to be fixed.

Madao

The DVI-only monitors could be overclocked to run at a higher-than-60 refresh rate. Typically 96hz, but sometimes up to 120Hz depending on how lucky you got with your individual purchase. Input lag I believe is also around 8ms.

The True10 monitors generally could not be overclocked, have 33~ms lag from the built-in scaler. They may have also cost a little more when I bought the one above. At the time I had no retro consoles, no external scalers and saw no need to own this one when I needed it strictly to play PC games, Dolphin, Retroarch, etc.

These were great when branded 1440p IPS monitors were expensive, but I don't think you should bother anymore as those specs are now the expected minimum. It would be best to look into a more future-proof gaming monitor that has at least some of these features: some sort of adaptive sync or high max refresh, very low input lag, maybe even 4K resolution and HDR. The panel quality will probably end up being better too.

thanks for the advice. i plan to build a new PC by the end of next year so i guess i'll hold off on a new monitor until then.

Peltz

It seems the Behar Bros have announced an HDMI box for the Dreamcast. Not much details but its called Akura I believe. Looks like it'll have a lot of the same features as the Hanzo just over HDMI instead.

Finally, the transition is complete. Very cool stuff.

Is there any reason why they wouldn't be able to do something similar for all consoles so that they do not need to be modded? I'm not sure what their process is to do what they do, but it all seemed very pure and mechanical (for lack of a better word). It's just line doubling for 240p and straight 480p output for all other games, right?

It seems similar to the OSSC.

Fularu

Banned
So I just won a Micomsoft XC-15 DISPL for 40$

Probably the score of the year for me so far. Can't wait to have it on hand, now I just need to purchase an euro to JP21 scart adapter from Retro_cables and tell them it's for this specific unit so that they make sure it will work (a regular repining won't work).

RedSwirl

So I took a look at some of the Retro AV videos. I think I'm just going to try to get the Framemeister by itself first, maybe with that D-Terminal thing, and then acquire other cables and whatnot piece-by-piece over time.

I'm not gonna try any modding, so with my NES I'll make do with composite either through the Framemeister or into my current CRT (which I might not be able to keep forever out of space concerns). I saw the comparison in the videos between direct composite and Frememeister composite and it still looks like a significant improvement, just not ideal.

I'll try to see about RGB cables for my SNES and Genesis in the future, but switching cables looks like a problem. I currently have switchers that do composite, S-video, and component so I may have to settle for S-video for the SNES.

I'll probably also settle for S-video for my N64 and Dreamcast. I might look for a VGA box at a later point.

Dealing with my PS2 and original Wii (for Gamecube games) seems like the easiest. To be honest I haven't even tested PS2 direct component on my current TV so I don't know if it looks unbearable or not.

televator

So I took a look at some of the Retro AV videos. I think I'm just going to try to get the Framemeister by itself first, maybe with that D-Terminal thing, and then acquire other cables and whatnot piece-by-piece over time.

I'm not gonna try any modding, so with my NES I'll make do with composite either through the Framemeister or into my current CRT (which I might not be able to keep forever out of space concerns). I saw the comparison in the videos between direct composite and Frememeister composite and it still looks like a significant improvement, just not ideal.

I'll try to see about RGB cables for my SNES and Genesis in the future, but switching cables looks like a problem. I currently have switchers that do composite, S-video, and component so I may have to settle for S-video for the SNES.

I'll probably also settle for S-video for my N64 and Dreamcast. I might look for a VGA box at a later point. The strongest feature that the FM has over the OSSC is motion adaptive deinterlacing, IMO.

Dealing with my PS2 and original Wii (for Gamecube games) seems like the easiest. To be honest I haven't even tested PS2 direct component on my current TV so I don't know if it looks unbearable or not.
You really should get that Dterminal adapter...

Finally, the transition is complete. Very cool stuff.

Is there any reason why they wouldn't be able to do something similar for all consoles so that they do not need to be modded? I'm not sure what their process is to do what they do, but it all seemed very pure and mechanical (for lack of a better word). It's just line doubling for 240p and straight 480p output for all other games, right?

It seems similar to the OSSC.

It's not like the OSSC at all. You realize this isn't a 1080p or 720p HDMI box. All this is doing is taking the VGA signal the dreamcast makes and sending it out through HDMI. What they do couldn't be done for other systems since other systems don't have/support a VGA box the way the Dreamcast does. I think you're mistaking this for something else.

D.Lo

It's not like the OSSC at all. You realize this isn't a 1080p or 720p HDMI box. All this is doing is taking the VGA signal the dreamcast makes and sending it out through HDMI. What they do couldn't be done for other systems since other systems don't have/support a VGA box the way the Dreamcast does. I think you're mistaking this for something else.
The Hanzo/Toro can already accept other sources with an adapter cable, I used it on a Wii for a while, it can accept either RGBS and RGBHV and output in either, and add scanlines. Basically for 480p to VGA it does the same thing as the OSSC, it just lacks the line doubling of 240p and 480i and HDMI out.

For most Dreamcast games (aka ones that support VGA), an HDMI Toro would achieve everything an OSSC would. It could also theoretically work for Gamecube/Wii 480p. Basically a high quality component to HDMI transcoder with scanlines. Obviously not for 240p consoles however.

So is there some kind of guide on how best to setup a Wii on a sd crt for 240p retro gaming?

Virtual Console NES color palette is so dark so I assume retroarch all the way.

Is there a way to link to individual games instead of retroarch cores?

Einhandr

Hey guys been away for a while busy fixing up stuff in my new house (yay?). I acquired an rgb modded n64 to add to my retro gaming den and I was trying to think of what else I would like to add to my OSSC setup. So far I've got SNES, Genesis, PCE, N64 through rgb and I was trying to come up with the best/easiest way to play my ps1 games. I've got a PSPGo with a cradle and component cables which I know would output at 240p, and I own digital copies copies of most of my physical library. What is rather do is play those same games through my PS TV but it doesn't output ps1 classics at 240p. Would it make sense to try and "downscale" it to 240p through other means? I think I could using at DVDO VP30 and then output through the RGBHV into the VGA of the OSSC, assuming this would actually work. All else fails I could just buy some SCART cables for ps1, but that would be too easy.

Edit: Just dig up the mlig video: rgb 206 on PlayStation 1 titles and the PSPGo with component out + DS3 is the clear winner for digital psn titles in 240p.

Mega

Banned
Wii Retroarch is the best all in one app with tons of features, but it can be information overload and you could spend lots of time messing around with settings. I have no problem using it, but it sometimes feels totally opposite to the simplicity and peace of mind of just playing games.

If you want to be up and running with minimal fuss, try standalone FCEUGX. It has a number of palettes, including one that gives a bluish sky in SMB and another that makes it purplish if that's what you feel is authentic from your childhood!

Well ... my RGB monitor might be screwed. I usually only plug in one console at a time so I'm always plugging stuff in. I plugged in my NES just now and the TV lost power. Some kind of short?

EDIT: TV is fine. Shorted a socket in my power strip.

Wii Retroarch is the best all in one app with tons of features, but it can be information overload and you could spend lots of time messing around with settings. I have no problem using it, but it sometimes feels totally opposite to the simplicity and peace of mind of just playing games.

If you want to be up and running with minimal fuss, try standalone FCEUGX. It has a number of palettes, including one that gives a bluish sky in SMB and another that makes it purplish if that's what you feel is authentic from your childhood!

How can I add palettes in retroarch wii? My version (1.3.6) comes with unsaturated v5 and I want to use firebrandx's latest. I seem to have the cores running well, I just want a better NES palette.

Peltz

The Hanzo/Toro can already accept other sources with an adapter cable, I used it on a Wii for a while, it can accept either RGBS and RGBHV and output in either, and add scanlines. Basically for 480p to VGA it does the same thing as the OSSC, it just lacks the line doubling of 240p and 480i and HDMI out.

For most Dreamcast games (aka ones that support VGA), an HDMI Toro would achieve everything an OSSC would. It could also theoretically work for Gamecube/Wii 480p. Basically a high quality component to HDMI transcoder with scanlines. Obviously not for 240p consoles however.
Yep, this is what I was trying to say before in my own crude way. I was thinking about the Toro, specifically.

Mega

Banned
I set up the MIST FPGA console last night. Only tried the Commodore 64 core so far and played Gianna Sisters. What a strange Mario clone, like something out of an alternate timeline! I am liking the C64 audio which I have only had a chance to hear on YouTube videos and one VC game I tried (Last Ninja)... I know some peeps don't like the "warbling" but I see it as different from your typical NES sound, not necessarily worse. Otherwise easy to configure and use and it ran perfectly with a pair of iBuffalo SNES pads I ordered.

I'm excited to set up the Apple II core (childhood nostalgia), ZX Spectrum and the Amiga core. I'm also curious to see how the NES, PC Engine and Sega cores compare to the original hardware. Overall hyped to own this little box (it's tiny!) because I always wanted to try various old computer systems' games but obviously don't have the space for all that original hardware. With this I just needed a wireless keyboard, SD card and USB pad (Genesis pads and old joysticks also work with the pin connectors on the side). FPGA consoles are the future too! Nice to finally own one.

How can I add palettes in retroarch wii? My version (1.3.6) comes with unsaturated v5 and I want to use firebrandx's latest. I seem to have the cores running well, I just want a better NES palette.

Not sure, I was preoccupied with other aspects of the Wii and OSSC when I was testing it. I'll have a look maybe later today. I didn't see any way to use shaders either, despite manually putting a bunch on the SD card.

Fularu

Banned
Does the MIST suport SCD games? Or just the Hucard portion?

Also since it now has up to AGA support (albeit only for a 68020 and no FPU/MMU) it should have no issues with Megadrive/MegaCD and even SNES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom