• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madao

before i forget

Congrats Peagles!
the kid is so lucky since he'll will grow up knowing so much classic gaming. i'm sure little kids enjoy a lot seeing these old consoles since things aren't made like that anymore.
(it's scary to think that consoles that haven't even been invented will be retro by the time he's as old as we are now)

now to what i was gonna post.

i decided to pull the trigger and sell my Framemeister. i don't see myself using it much nowadays and the OSSC seems to fit my setup just as well and comes with added benefits (very low input lag).
looking back, i clocked over 1700 hours in it. i definitely got a lot out of it at the time. most of that was with the Wii and 480p games like the Metroid Primes which were the unit's weak spot so i didn't really feel completely satisfied.
i hope the sucessor can handle 480p games better and is better at input lag (i knew the predecessors were better in that area). if it does 4K (which it should), that gives a lot more leeway in scaling options.

Brhoom

Banned
Congratulations Peagels!!!

Dino Crisis also switches between 240p and 480i...

It's like I'm finding a new game everyday that I can't play with the Framemeister.

Since a lot of you are talking about selling your Framemeister, I'll ask around here and hopfully I can find a sweet deal.

BTails

It's like I'm finding a new game everyday that I can't play with the Framemeister.

Good to know! I was mulling grabbing a copy of this as I've never played it, but I guess I'll stick with the digital one I bought for like, $2 a while back. Maybe it'll be a good game to play through on my Vita.

Brhoom

Banned
Good to know! I was mulling grabbing a copy of this as I've never played it, but I guess I'll stick with the digital one I bought for like, $2 a while back. Maybe it'll be a good game to play through on my Vita.

Don't take my word for it, someone on shumps said it.

If anyone can check for us if it's true or not.

Brhoom

Banned
My parents' TV broke, so they took my LED TV and said I had another TV (which is a CRT btw) tried playing Wii U on it, not that good.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Congrats Peagles.

Aww thanks you guys. We're loving this little guy. Can't wait to pose him with the Famicom mini controllers :p He's a pretty chill babby so I'm hovering around here reading a bit still. When I recover a bit better from the surgery I'll finish my retro setup with the OSSC!
Now I want to do this with my 4 month old niece.

Timu

Since a lot of you are talking about selling your Framemeister, I'll ask around here and hopfully I can find a sweet deal.
I played this on PS3 so I didn't encounter that issue, however I seriously can't believe yet another game does that on PS1. I'm tired of that bullshit!!!

televator

I played this on PS3 so I didn't encounter that issue, however I seriously can't believe yet another game does that on PS1. I'm tired of that bullshit!!!

Well it's more res that the developer intended. I understand tha it interferes with your game capturing, but I'd be more angry about there not being enough modern devices that don't quickly handle 480i/240p switching.

bodine1231

Can someone help me with this?

I'm running Retroarch on the Wii through the Framemeister and I can't get the scanlines to display evenly. I'm running Retroarch at 512x240 through component. 480p is fine but any other resolution gives me these messed up scanlines.

televator

Can someone help me with this?

I'm running Retroarch on the Wii through the Framemeister and I can't get the scanlines to display evenly. I'm running Retroarch at 512x240 through component. 480p is fine but any other resolution gives me these messed up scanlines.

Use an interger scale like smart 2x or setting to 720p

RedSwirl

So if I grabbed an XRGBmini and wanted to use it with multiple consoles, would using a separate switcher work? The mini seems made only for one console at a time.

I have a couple old GameStop-branded switchers for composite/s-video/component signals. Would it work if I routed the consoles through a switcher, then the XRGB?

I guess it would be like 3 consoles --> switcher --> XRGB --> TV.

How does hooking things up even work? From the pictures I'm guessing an s-video signal would come from the back of the console (or switcher) into the front of the XRGB, then an HDMI signal comes from the back of the XRGB into the TV. And I'm told component would go through an adapter into the D-Terminal in the back of the XRGB?

And is Solaris Japan the only place for reasonable prices on this thing?

This is really cool. I tried doing something similar to this about a year ago except over JAMMA but couldn't figure out a way to get the timing right and gave up.

So if I grabbed an XRGBmini and wanted to use it with multiple consoles, would using a separate switcher work? The mini seems made only for one console at a time.

I have a couple old GameStop-branded switchers for composite/s-video/component signals. Would it work if I routed the consoles through a switcher, then the XRGB?

How does hooking things up even work? From the pictures I'm guessing an s-video signal would come from the back of the console (or switcher) into the front of the XRGB, then an HDMI signal comes from the back of the XRGB into the TV. And I'm told component would go through an adapter into the D-Terminal in the back of the XRGB?

You can do something like you're describing and it would work great. When I was using my XRGB-3, I didn't use a switch, I just plugged in whichever JP-21 RGB cable I needed at the time.

I don't have a Framemeister but it looks like it has HDMI out. XRGB-3 connected via VGA (although you can also use DVI).

I think Solaris Japan is the best option.

Yes the switch box would work fine. You set what input the Framemeister is displaying/outputting in the menu. It flows as you say - console source - xrgb - hdmi - tv.

Solaris is the place to get it.

bodine1231

Thanks,I fixed it. All I did was update the firmware which erased all the settings. I guess the previous owner had something messed up but now it looks amazing! (still not as good as the AVS though :p ). I'm finding the Wii retroarch a little blurry no matter what I set the sharpness at (without introducing sharpness artifacts).

RedSwirl

Yes the switch box would work fine. You set what input the Framemeister is displaying/outputting in the menu. It flows as you say - console source - xrgb - hdmi - tv.

Solaris is the place to get it.

Okay. There are bundles at Solaris Japan too. Which one would I need?

How much would it cost for me to grab S-video cables for an NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and possibly Dreamcast if a VGA box is too expensive? Assuming I can find the best price.

Okay. There are bundles at Solaris Japan too. Which one would I need?

How much would it cost for me to grab S-video cables for an NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and possibly Dreamcast if a VGA box is too expensive? Assuming I can find the best price.
You probably want the Euro SCART option if you are USA or Europe because the cables and switches are more plentiful. You also should pick up the D-Terminal while your at it to hook up component.

You need to understand what each system is capable of outputting. There is a chart Mega made on the first page of this thread. Some of those consoles don't output S-Video and some do better. The biggest benefit and main reason to get a framemeister is that it accepts an input called RGB. That is the best picture output possible. Of the consoles you listed the NES only outputs composite (unless modded), Genesis/SNES does RGB, N64 does S-Video (rgb if modded), and Dreamcast does S-Video or RGB if you get a toro box or similar. I assume S-Video cables are around 15 bucks a piece. RGB cables are roughly 25 a piece shipped.

You should really watch some of the My Life in Gaming RGB episodes if you haven't to get a good primer on what the Framemeister is capable of and the benefit of RGB. LINK

Aww thanks you guys. We're loving this little guy. Can't wait to pose him with the Famicom mini controllers :p He's a pretty chill babby so I'm hovering around here reading a bit still. When I recover a bit better from the surgery I'll finish my retro setup with the OSSC!

It's great that you will be able to get back to the things that really matter in life.

RedSwirl

You probably want the Euro SCART option if you are USA or Europe because the cables and switches are more plentiful. You also should pick up the D-Terminal while your at it to hook up component.

You need to understand what each system is capable of outputting. There is a chart Mega made on the first page of this thread. Some of those consoles don't output S-Video and some do better. The biggest benefit and main reason to get a framemeister is that it accepts an input called RGB. That is the best picture output possible. Of the consoles you listed the NES only outputs composite (unless modded), Genesis/SNES does RGB, N64 does S-Video (rgb if modded), and Dreamcast does S-Video or RGB if you get a toro box or similar. I assume S-Video cables are around 15 bucks a piece. RGB cables are roughly 25 a piece shipped.

You should really watch some of the My Life in Gaming RGB episodes if you haven't to get a good primer on what the Framemeister is capable of and the benefit of RGB. LINK

I'm probably just going to go for the best any console can do without modding or without the individual parts getting TOO expensive.

IrishNinja

Peagles i just know you'll raise a fantastic child that will do right by this world & not invert controls

for real, nothing but health & happiness going forward, love <3

D.Lo

ghosts-n-goblins-congraturation-final1.jpg

dhonk

I ended up getting rid of the Micomsoft DVI capture card lol. The driver situation is just annoying. I wanna look into Magewell but no info on 240p RGB anywhere. People keep saying they are gonna try it but no one has yet.

Timu

I ended up getting rid of the Micomsoft DVI capture card lol. The driver situation is just annoying. I wanna look into Magewell but no info on 240p RGB anywhere. People keep saying they are gonna try it but no one has yet.
What was wrong with the driver? I didn't have any issues using the default one on my card.

BTails

So, after upgrading to a 4k TV, I've put the 51" Plasma downstairs in my retro setup. It's kinda crazy having NES so huge, as the couch is pretty close to the TV, but the colours and lack of blurring during fast motion makes it really shine.

However, I need a recommendation for a SCART Audio breakout box now! This new TV doesn't have an analog audio out, and the TV speakers just aren't doing it for me. Thoughts?

Asked before but I don't think anyone answered: anyone know of a splitter that can basically take DVI and output both DVI and HDMI without an additional box/cable to convert? preferably on the small and cheap side.

Maybe someone here can help me. I was really looking forward to getting into the world of HD upscalers this holiday, so I asked for the framemeister. But I got a text a few minutes ago saying that the price was way higher than I had originally said, and it is, and now I'm finding out that it's discontinued.

Can someone give me an alternative? I don't want to buy a bulky tv, the whole point was to get my old systems working with an HD setup. Let me know, thanks!

Maybe someone here can help me. I was really looking forward to getting into the world of HD upscalers this holiday, so I asked for the framemeister. But I got a text a few minutes ago saying that the price was way higher than I had originally said, and it is, and now I'm finding out that it's discontinued.

Can someone give me an alternative? I don't want to buy a bulky tv, the whole point was to get my old systems working with an HD setup. Let me know, thanks!

The OSSC is a good alternative. It's a bit cheaper, it has no lag, but it's a line doubler and not a scaler and because of this it can have some issues depending on your TV. But it's hard to get too (there's a waiting list a mile long) and by the time you get your hands on one the FM would be back in stock (February). It would probably be easier to just wait.

There are some other options too outside the traditional scaler route that aren't shit. If your TV takes 240p over component sanely a SCART to Component box is pretty good. I found that my TV with a VGA input can handle 240p over that so a SCART to VGA cable with sync separator might be workable for some TVs... but it's hard to know what would handle 240p properly.

dhonk

What was wrong with the driver? I didn't have any issues using the default one on my card.

Mainly the 100 percent CPU bug, which is fixed at higher revisions but it breaks the 240p RGB capture. Not an issue for most I figure (framemeister) but it also didnt handle the weird PC DOS stuff I was doing either. Similar stories on shmupforums. Guessing that isnt a problem for 99.9 percent of the target audience!

Timu

Mainly the 100 percent CPU bug, which is fixed at higher revisions but it breaks the 240p RGB capture. Not an issue for most I figure (framemeister) but it also didnt handle the weird PC DOS stuff I was doing either. Similar stories on shmupforums. Guessing that isnt a problem for 99.9 percent of the target audience!
All you have to do is go to your power saving plans, pick change plan settings on one of the choices, click restore default setting for this plan and then you'll be back to low cpu usage as it won't be 100% anymore.

Brhoom

Banned

A couple of users here wanted to sell theirs, go back a few pages and search for someone who said he would sell his with an English remote for 300$ only.

Maybe he changed his mind after it was discontinued, but ask him.

A couple of users here wanted to sell theirs, go back a few pages and search for someone who said he would sell his with an English remote for 300$ only.

Maybe he changed his mind after it was discontinued, but ask him.

I have an XRGB-3 that I stopped using because I've gone into the world of PVMs. I was planning on putting it up on ebay soon but if anyone's interested I'll be happy to sell it on GAF instead. I never had a remote or box for it but it works fine without.

Madao

out of nowhere, i checked the OSSC wiki and noticed this:

R/Pr / G/Y / B/Pb offset

Adjusts Red/Pr / G/Y / B/Pb channel offset (brightness)

0-255: [default=127]

R/Pr / G/Y / B/Pb gain

Adjusts Red/Pr / G/Y / B/Pb channel gain (contrast)

0-255: [default=26]

the bolded caught my attention. i went and edited those a bit (the G/Y setting only) and now the image looks correct with my setup. now i'm finally set.

Peltz

Congrats <3

It seems the Behar Bros have announced an HDMI box for the Dreamcast. Not much details but its called Akura I believe. Looks like it'll have a lot of the same features as the Hanzo just over HDMI instead.

It seems the Behar Bros have announced an HDMI box for the Dreamcast. Not much details but its called Akura I believe. Looks like it'll have a lot of the same features as the Hanzo just over HDMI instead.

If it's external it would likely just be taking the VGA output and converting it to digital + formatting it for HDMI output.

End of an era. I should sell mine. I've only used it like 10 times in the past 2 years.

It's just not my cup o tea. Any gaffers looking to grab one on the cheap can send me a pm. It's practically new and I'll probably let it go for the right amount.

I'm potentially interested. I live in Canada. I'll PM you

LeleSocho

Banned
So i bought one of those super cheap composite->hdmi upscalers and while it's bad i didn't expect it to be SO bad...
First of all, is there a way for this thing to display in proper 4:3 instead of stretching it to 16:9? While i can force 4:3 on the tv i can't on the capture card while streaming....
Second, is there a way to not let this thing destroy the colors? It's a mix of oversaturation plus blown up lightning as you can see from the Mario Sunshine video here.

Last but not least, if the other two things cannot be fixed, is there an alternative that doesn't break the bank like the xrgb but it doesn't suck like this one i have? i'm willing to spend 70€ for it, it doesn't even need to upscale to be honest but just doing a clean analog->digital conversion at native resolution.

Peltz

So i bought one of those super cheap composite->hdmi upscalers and while it's bad i didn't expect it to be SO bad...
First of all, is there a way for this thing to display in proper 4:3 instead of stretching it to 16:9? While i can force 4:3 on the tv i can't on the capture card while streaming....
Second, is there a way to not let this thing destroy the colors? It's a mix of oversaturation plus blown up lightning as you can see from the Mario Sunshine video here.

Last but not least, if the other two things cannot be fixed, is there an alternative that doesn't break the bank like the xrgb but it doesn't suck like this one i have? i'm willing to spend 70&#8364; for it, it doesn't even need to upscale to be honest but just doing a clean analog->digital conversion at native resolution.

What do you want to hear? OSSC is perfect for you but not within your price range.

You could drop 70 EUR on crap and not be happy, or you can drop 200 or so and actually have something which brings you enjoyment and makes games look correct without lag.

Most of us have dropped serious dough on this stuff because there are no cheaply made products that do this type of thing correctly. If you want good image quality and aren't willing to pay for a premium device and proper cables, then just emulate.

Don't bother with the unknown stuff from random manufacturers that haven't been vetted. You will repeatedly waste your money over and over again. Any one of us could have warned you against buying the device you bought, because trust me, that's how we all likely got started.... by buying stuff like that. So... I guess what I'm saying is, welcome to the rabbit hole and you are hereby urged to stop wasting your money on more cheap stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom