• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC-Slater

Looking at grabbing a smaller monitor to use for gaming with my OSSC. Something that I can throw in tate mode, and small-ish that I can put away easily when I'm not using it (unlike my PVM.)

Would be using it for my Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, Naomi and presumably an SNES at some point.

What's the ideal aspect ratio to look for; 5:4 or 4:3?

Peltz

Looking at grabbing a smaller monitor to use for gaming with my OSSC. Something that I can throw in tate mode, and small-ish that I can put away easily when I'm not using it (unlike my PVM.)

Would be using it for my Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, Naomi and presumably an SNES at some point.

What's the ideal aspect ratio to look for; 5:4 or 4:3?

4:3

How is this even a question? Am I missing something?

Yes. Aspect ratio is different for different consoles because retro games when displayed on a CRT do not have square pixels. NES & SNES is 8:7 output at 4:3 with analog stretching. It's why 1:1 pixel mapping looks so narrow and wrong, and 4:3 looks slightly stretched.

A 6:5 with slight vertical over scan looks nice. 5:4 with jailbars looks nice. Both are nice integer scales for fixed pixel 1080p displays.

Umibozu

MLiG put up RGB208 :: Getting the Best Picture from your Game Boy / GBC / GBA Games. It's an hour long. I'm starting it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjtD1mOZlPc
Great video.
One small correction though. They said that the Gameboy vc games on the 3ds only had the black and white colour pallette, but if you hold L+R down and press Y you can switch to the nostalgic green pallette. It's not super Gameboy levels but still something.

KC-Slater

I'm looking at getting an LCD (if that was unclear) and 5:4 typically has a native res of 1280x1024, while 4:3 typically has a native res of 1600x1200 for 19" displays. Scaling with the OSSC is my primary concern.

Yes. Aspect ratio is different for different consoles because retro games when displayed on a CRT do not have square pixels. NES & SNES is 8:7 output at 4:3 with analog stretching. It's why 1:1 pixel mapping looks so narrow and wrong, and 4:3 looks slightly stretched.

A 6:5 with slight horizontal over scan looks nice. 5:4 with jailbars looks nice. Both are nice integer scales for fixed pixel 1080p displays.

I'm leaning towards a 5:4 display, but I wanted to post in here to see if there were any sound arguments against it.

I'm looking at getting an LCD (if that was unclear) and 5:4 typically has a native res of 1280x1024, while 4:3 typically has a native res of 1600x1200 for 19" displays. Scaling with the OSSC is my primary concern.

I'm leaning towards a 5:4 display, but I wanted to post in here to see if there were any sound arguments against it.

If 5:4 looks good to your eyes I don't see any drawbacks. While not perfect, it looks great to my eyes. I prefer overscanning to 6:5 (usually 1200p) and tweaking top/bottom over scan on a game by game basis.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Are those cheapo VGA to HDMI boxes awful? I want to play Dreamcast but I don't feel like spending that much to do it.

Mega

Banned

A 6:5 with slight vertical over scan looks nice. 5:4 with jailbars looks nice. Both are nice integer scales for fixed pixel 1080p displays.

I don't think it matters if you get a display that's 4:3, widescreen or whatever... as long as you can adjust aspect ratio in its OSD. Unless I'm crazy here, the NES hardware + OSSC will output a picture that looks authentic (not wide) when stretched to 4:3 on a pixel display. This is not like taking raw output from a NES emulator and stretching it to 4:3 (too wide).

I'd prefer to get a very low input lag, low ghosting widescreen monitor to use everything on OSSC ranging from 8-bit to gen 6 widescreen games.

I'm really not a fan of this completely disparaging attitude against anything that isn't a framemeister, OSSC, or some kind of enthusiast BeharBros VGA box. With the exclusion of the framemeister, I have owned all of these and more. Are some better than others? Obviously, but you shouldn't only have the option of sinking 100 bucks to play a system.

We are trying to play our old consoles, let's not discourage people from doing that even on an entry level.

This thing is 25 bucks with Amazon prime and will get the job done fine.

TeaJay

But unfortunately sometimes the more expensive option is the better choice for a reason. If someone asks for for good but cheap options for the Framemeister, you want me to lie so I wouldn't discourage their entry level endeavours? Sure, there are options, just not as good.

televator

Are those cheapo VGA to HDMI boxes awful? I want to play Dreamcast but I don't feel like spending that much to do it.

A cheapo box that scales will more likely be awful, yes. Especially in contrast if your TV does at least a decent job at scaling 480p. Just get a box that doesn't scale. That way it only has to get one thing right - analog to digital conversion... Well that and not squish DC's 720x480 total frame into a 640x480 output.

But unfortunately sometimes the more expensive option is the better choice for a reason. If someone asks for for good but cheap options for the Framemeister, you want me to lie so I wouldn't discourage their entry level endeavours? Sure, there are options, just not as good.

Best/better option is entirely relative to the user:

I want to play Dreamcast but I don't feel like spending that much to do it.

Why would a $400 (conservative on the pricing here) even be on the table here?

I guess the thing is, when you've been in this thread long enough you see the same thing over and over again. Someone comes in all like damn this is expensive, can't I just get this cheap junk thing? To which the regulars respond with well no, you get what you pay for and unfortunately it's a rabbit hole for your wallet as well as your life lol, and you'd really be better off saving and investing in something decent. That inevitably turns into well I bought this cheap junk anyway, how bad can it be? About 1/10 people leave the thread satisfied with their cheap junk. The other 9/10 come back all like oh god this is awful I don't like it, what about this slightly more expensive but still cheap junk thing, will that be better? And they get a chorus of GOD NO please just invest in something decent! Different people have wasted various amounts of money on said junk usually before coming around to buying something decent, and usually wish they hadn't wasted time and money on cheap junk.

This isn't just high and mighty regulars giving their high and mighty opinion either. Most people here went through the exact same thing themselves and are speaking from experience.

Maybe we need a big bolded warning in the OP? Lol.

This is why I can't afford children. Why have a baby if it means I have to make a sacrifice in picture quality for my Sega Saturn?

congrats by the way!

BTails

I guess the thing is, when you've been in this thread long enough you see the same thing over and over again. Someone comes in all like damn this is expensive, can't I just get this cheap junk thing? To which the regulars respond with well no, you get what you pay for and unfortunately it's a rabbit hole for your wallet as well as your life lol, and you'd really be better off saving and investing in something decent.

Peagles with the mad truth bombs. The greatest thing I ever did was not buy any cheap junk, thanks to this thread. I saved and went straight for a Framemeister and high quality SCART cables, though I was tempted by the cheaper alternatives many times.

D.Lo

The main difference is that you will have to drill your AV output, just like on the original frontloader.
There is a slot-in 3D printed SNES multi AV out available, no drilling required.
rgb_nes_rear_1024x1024.jpg

Fallen92

I guess the thing is, when you've been in this thread long enough you see the same thing over and over again. Someone comes in all like damn this is expensive, can't I just get this cheap junk thing? To which the regulars respond with well no, you get what you pay for and unfortunately it's a rabbit hole for your wallet as well as your life lol, and you'd really be better off saving and investing in something decent. That inevitably turns into well I bought this cheap junk anyway, how bad can it be? About 1/10 people leave the thread satisfied with their cheap junk. The other 9/10 come back all like oh god this is awful I don't like it, what about this slightly more expensive but still cheap junk thing, will that be better? And they get a chorus of GOD NO please just invest in something decent! Different people have wasted various amounts of money on said junk usually before coming around to buying something decent, and usually wish they hadn't wasted time and money on cheap junk.
That's right on the money. And I understand where those people are coming from but retro gaming in this day and age takes time, effort, and money if you want to have a near perfect experience on a modern audio/video setup. Hell I've bought one of those cheap scarf to HDMI scalers before and I instantly regretted it. If people really want the cheapest solution though getting a regular consumer CRT to plug in your retro consoles would be 100% better than all that cheap garbage.

Peltz

This isn't just high and mighty regulars giving their high and mighty opinion either. Most people here went through the exact same thing themselves and are speaking from experience.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to play an old console on a modern set, you've got a few good options:

1. Buy the premium stuff that is made for gaming that other gamers have vouched for ike the OSSC or Framemeister.

2. Emulate and forget original hardware altogether.

3. Use composite or S-video directly on your HDTV.

Just don't waste your money on some half-measure piece of non-gaming hardware that is designed with some non-gaming application in mind. If you think "well, I'd rather gamble $25 dollars on some unknown hardware that may look slightly better than composite," well.... I don't know what to tell you. That's likely $25 wasted. It will probably lag and still not look how you want it to. And then you'll realize that it isn't much better than composite anyway and you'll go back to allowing your HDTV try to resolve the composite source.

You're just better off letting the brand-name HDTV try to do its thing with the composite image than to trust some other random piece of hardware that no one has ever heard of.

And if you think there is something we missed -- some sort of $25 solution that you think looks good because you took a chance on it and feel like it was money well spent-- then post some screens and allow others in on the secret. But don't just say "hey this thing is a good solution" without pics or evidence and expect everyone else to not immediately assume it sucks without more information.

When it comes to image quality, if you're going to be cheap about it, just be cheap all the way and use options 2 or 3 above. If you want a good image, then go the other route with a CRT or a good known product. But whatever you do, just don't drop a few bucks here and there because you feel like dabbling in a different flavor of shit sandwiches for a while. It's a waste of time and money and poor image quality is already possible right out of the box.

bodine1231

I bought this cable from retro console accesories on eBay a couple years ago and I can't seem to get a picture on my XRGB. Whats weird is I am getting sound but just a blue screen. I tried increasing the sync level but that didnt work.I tried contacting them but no answer for 3 days now,can anyone tell me why this wouldnt work with a SNES on the XRGB?

There are other good options that don't break the bank. If your TV supports component or VGA 240p sanely (Samsung TVs do a good job) you can transcode or split the sync from SCART to one of those. Or maybe you live in Europe and just have SCART-in that is handled well.

I also feel like once the OSSC gets open sourced like it's supposed to we'll start to see a flood of cheap OSSC/FPGA based scalers from China, which will only get cheaper as FPGAs go down in price.

I bought this cable from retro console accesories on eBay a couple years ago and I can't seem to get a picture on my XRGB. Whats weird is I am getting sound but just a blue screen. I tried increasing the sync level but that didnt work.I tried contacting them but no answer for 3 days now,can anyone tell me why this wouldnt work with a SNES on the XRGB?

If you're trying to use this on an SNES Mini it natively doesn't have RGB out. What model SNES are you trying to play it on?

The other possibility, did you get a JP21 or Scart to Framemeister cable?

Maybe we need a big bolded warning in the OP? Lol.

I know others have already said but perfectly said Peagle. I know a lot of us regulars in this thread have tried the cheap options, and they're just not good products. They're not made with gaming in mind, which is what sets the Framemeister and OSSC apart from the other scallers out there.

To those reading, trust us. If we could get good results from something that was only 20 - 30 bucks, the majority of us would probably be using it. I'd rather not have paid 300 bucks for a framemeister (although trust me it is worth every fucking penny) if I could have gotten the same quality and low lag upscalling from something else.

When it comes to image quality, if you're going to be cheap about it, just be cheap all the way and use options 2 or 3 above. If you want a good image, then go the other route with a CRT or a good known product. But whatever you do, just don't drop a few bucks here and there because you feel like dabbling in a different flavor of shit sandwiches for a while. It's a waste of time and money and poor image quality is already possible right out of the box.

I have 2 PVMs, an OSSC, a bunch of cheap converters and scalers and don't consider any of it a waste of money.

To automatically assume that the most expensive premium quality stuff would suit every instance is ridiculous. You're telling me that the only things you can recommend are either that or emulation?

There exist middle ground alternatives and shelling out 25 bucks as opposed to 100-400 just to play Dreamcast is a lot more reasonable for many people. I am not implying by any means that the image quality approaches that of more expensive options, but this entire dialogue started because a poster wanted cheap way to accomplish that. I do not buy into the "all-in" mentality prevalent in this thread and if it works out for the person, let them decide to dig deeper of their own volition. There certainly isn't any lack of info in here should they choose to do so.

RedSwirl

What's this about the Jan 31 date on the Solaris page for the Framemeister? Is there a new revision coming out or is that just the earliest expected shipping date?

Oh, and I see two different EUR ones on the page at different prices. Are those just different bundles? I can't immediately see the differences on the page except one has selections for extra cables and stuff and the other doesn't.

Edit: The EUR models have the right power cables and everything right?

Yeah but a lot of times when a person goes the cheap solution, the 25 dollar upscaller from amazon, the experience is so poor they don't stick with it. So what is the point?

I think its been brought up but we regularly in this thread see people come in and say Im going to try this thing, oh it sucks what else can I try, and eventually they're buying a framemeister, CRT or OSSC.

If this stuff leaves so many people with a bad enough experience they either stop playing, or just say fuck it and go the expensive route, it seems like there's no point in recommending or pointing some one in the cheap direction.

There are times when there are valid good solutions from low price, mid range to high price. This is one of those rare situations where there just isn't. It's not a clear lineation in regards to price/performance.

What's this about the Jan 31 date on the Solaris page for the Framemeister? Is there a new revision coming out or is that just the earliest expected shipping date?

Oh, and I see two different EUR ones on the page at different prices. Are those just different bundles? I can't immediately see the differences on the page except one has selections for extra cables and stuff and the other doesn't.

Edit: The EUR models have the right power cables and everything right?

The Framemeister is being discontinued to because one of the ICs has reached end of life and isn't being made anymore. Solaris is taking pre-orders on the next shipment that will come in February. Micomsoft is saying there should be enough stock for 2017, after that there's no more. They have not announced a successor or anything of that sort.

I can't say about the European ones but the one I ordered came with a power adapter that worked in the US. But clicking on one it says right in the description that it includes a power adapter.Plus it's not hard to figure out what the different versions are, it says so in the description.

One comes with a JP21 adapter, and one comes with the Scart adapter. Once you pick that, you are given the option of bundling it with the component to d-sub adapter as well.

Not trying to be snarky but a lot of your answers were right on the page.

RedSwirl

I did try one of those "cheap" component-to-HDMI converters on Amazon for like $50. The only reason was because my current TV has no composite input. It's pretty much no different than directly connecting composite cables into a modern TV (if it even accepts them). It looked like the left Chrono Trigger gif on that XRGB solaris Japan page.

lepo

After watching the latest MLiG dedicated to the game boy, I've tried to get the wiU gba virtual console to work with the ossc in order to get some scanlines.

Wii U is connected via component to the ossc and I'm getting the audio from the game pad to an external speaker

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

Mega

Banned
The OSSC at $200~ already seems like the middle of the road option (scalers and converters not targeted at gamers can cost a lot more). I've said this before, but there's quite a bit of "race to the bottom" mentality among gamers, meaning an unwillingness to pay for quality hardware, settling on buying garbage, being surprised when it looks and feels cheap, runs poorly and finally breaks. $200 is not a lot in the grand scheme of buying a nice TV, receiver, consoles, games, etc.

I myself bought two cheap HDMI to Component converter/scalers from Amazon and regretted it. Both did one or more things poorly or lacked useful features. I paid more (but not a lot) for a much higher quality HDFury converter/scaler that did everything and did it well. I knew about it first but I tried cutting corners and paid more than necessary as a consequence. Buying the upfront costlier but superior option is what I should have done in the first place!

There is one cheap option, and only one: a consumer CRT. If you can make space for it, it opens up everything in one move. If you can't make the room for it, then you have to open your wallet. (And there are still ways to drop lots of money on a CRT, too.)

After watching the latest MLiG dedicated to the game boy, I've tried to get the wiU gba virtual console to work with the ossc in order to get some scanlines.

Wii U is connected via component to the ossc and I'm getting the audio from the game pad to an external speaker

You've got some scan lines but some of them are half as thick as the others. That's the curse of the Wii U.

MattyH

There is one cheap option, and only one: a consumer CRT. If you can make space for it, it opens up everything in one move. If you can't make the room for it, then you have to open your wallet. (And there are still ways to drop lots of money on a CRT, too.)

i second this i paid £15 for my 14" Trinitron and about £15 a piece for a Gamecube RGB cable and a good quality PS2 cable found a decent scart switcher for £3 in a charity shop and its worth every penny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom