• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaJay

Just spent the last hour or so working on the geometry on my PVM. The line where the white and red meet on the left is a little crooked in the middle and I can't get that to go away but its by far the best I've ever gotten. Btw,what the hell does the "Sexy" setting do?

I'm a bit annoyed that despite everyone says PVM's have great adjustability there doesn't seem to be a simple setting to move the picture horizontally. I can stretch it, but not move it. Vertically you can which puzzles me. (my model is 20M4E)

bodine1231

I'm a bit annoyed that despite everyone says PVM's have great adjustability there doesn't seem to be a simple setting to move the picture horizontally. I can stretch it, but not move it. Vertically you can which puzzles me. (my model is 20M4E)

On mine it's called "video phase" and controls horizontal shift. It doesn't shift it as much as the vertical shift but it does the job.

TeaJay

e: Thanks, looks like I have the same option, and it works. I can't believe I didn't try that one before. Was just looking for a H SIZE or something.

I'm using a bit of overscan to hide the curving edges of the screen. It's kind of an exact science so you won't hide too much.

bodine1231

e: Thanks, looks like I have the same option, and it works. I can't believe I didn't try that one before. Was just looking for a H SIZE or something.

I'm using a bit of overscan to hide the curving edges of the screen. It's kind of an exact science so you won't hide too much.

I do the same thing.

Peltz

You'd need to transcode it (or hack firmware of Wii to make it think it's an EU model and output RGB).

You don't think an extron device could take a component signal into its VGA port? It would have to be externally transcoded to RGB?

Has anyone tested this?

I found this post on the shmups forum:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51976

After spending a day building a sync-stripper and figuring out how to trick my Xbox 360 and Wii into doing RGB, something dawned on me: my Extron RGB 201 Rxi has a SoG (Sync on Green) mode. Then I thought, "wait, component video is kinda like RGsB, maybe the Extron will just process the sync like normal and pass the color information through unadulterated".

So I put my Wii in component 480i mode, used a simple 3-RCA to VGA adapter cable, and sure enough, it worked! Whether in 480i mode or "fake 240p" mode, it looks just as good as RGB with a sync-stripper. The only difference is I have much less cable clutter this way, since I don't have my amateurish LM1881 circuit thrown into the mix.

I searched the forum and didn't see any mention of the Extron RGB working this way. Maybe not all models have the SoG mode? Anyway, I figure this might be a pretty big deal for those of you without RGB capable monitors. I haven't tried this on a consumer set, but so far it works great on my component-compatible PVM.

Can the 201 Rxi convert 480i to 240p by itself? If so, I'm buying the shit out of one.

If not, what are the extron devices that can deinterlace 480i into 240p? I'm looking to grab one if the price is right. I'm a huge Mega Man fan and can't stand the 480i presentation in MM9 and 10.

Khaz

Not to pick on anyone specifically, especially has I did it myself several times, but I see this verb "transcode" frequently, notably to discuss the great Scart to Component adapters. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe you encode RGB to PAL/NTSC, you decode PAL/NTSC to RGB, and you transcode PAL to NTSC.

Now, RGBS <-> VGA is hmm... I suppose it depends whether you simply split/combine the sync or also line double the signal to conform to 480p VGA?

Peltz

Not to pick on anyone specifically, especially has I did it myself several times, but I see this verb "transcode" frequently, notably to discuss the great Scart to Component adapters. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe you encode RGB to PAL/NTSC, you decode PAL/NTSC to RGB, and you transcode PAL to NTSC.

Now, RGBS <-> VGA is hmm... I suppose it depends whether you simply split/combine the sync or also line double the signal to conform to 480p VGA?

Oh this is like the scanlines vs. non-scanlined discussion all over again. :-/

I don't get it. He dismisses their cables because they use epoxy to strengthen the plug? I don't make cables but if I did, I'd drown the thing in epoxy as well to prevent solder points to break every time I bend my cables.

He had a bunch of tweets. Apparently they're not wired correctly (not to spec at least) and fixing them isn't feasible because of the epoxy. Also he hates epoxy.

I could fix that broken cable in a minute. I'm more concerned about things that can't be fixed. I'll buy from her again, no problem.

He had a bunch of tweets. Apparently they're not wired correctly (not to spec at least) and fixing them isn't feasible because of the epoxy. Also he hates epoxy.

OK, I'm confused. If it was wired wrong, return it, right?

Well until there is someone better making cables I'll keep buying from her since I can't make my own. Would like to know if the bad wiring on that cable was a mistake or something that is normal from her though.

dubc35

It depends on what cable you're trying to make.

I've recently done 3 SCART to BNC cables. To connect TVs to the RGB matrix switcher (£23.99 on retrogamingcables for one btw) for next to nothing. Just bought two thick double shielded 5m SCART -> SCART cables (2$) and 12 screw in BNC connectors (3$). Cut the SCART cable in half. Used multimeter to check which cable is which, stripped the izolation using cable stripper, and attached the connectors using screwdriver and pliers. All of this can be done without any tools other than pliers, knife, and screwdriver.

Things are more tricky with console cables, because the proprietary plugs are impossible to buy. So the next best thing is buying cheap RGB cable and dissasembling the plug. Which is not fun thing to do but worth for picture quality.

As for tools that make the job easier. I would recommend:
1. good set of pliers
2. good soldiering iron and great solder (don't skimp on solder buy a very good one it'll last for very long time, and it's a pleasure to use which is not the case with cheap stuff)
3. cable izolation stripper (it's not really necessary, but it's one of those items that when you have one you can't go back)
4. multimeter
5. those plastic tubes that shrink when you heat them up (don't know what they called in english), and a heater for good measure

And that's pretty much it. Added bonus... it's really fun and satisfying to make something on you own.
Cool, thanks for the write up, very informative. It's definitely something I want to do...just not sure when I'll be able to.

Peagles

To be honest (some regular folk might remember this) the first cable I bought from her was faulty. She just replaced it for me. I still have it somewhere, never bothered to try fix it but maybe I should. I'm pretty sure it wasn't full of epoxy though.

It's not necessarily a terrible thing but it reminds me of Drakon and his hot glue lol.

EmiPrime

There's another reason why Retro Console Accessories sometimes uses epoxy which seemed valid to me but as it was told to me privately I am not sure if I should repeat it and I can't find the emails so I could mangle the explanation.

Doesn't it upscale though?
The Hammerhead said:
Minimum Lag For Gaming

The Sewell Hammerhead is also a preferred adapter for those needing to connect gaming rigs to their HDTVs. With a 43 millisecond lag, this adapter is a great choice (anything under 50 milliseconds is undetectable by the human eye and inconsequential).

Yikes.

Oh god. I assume that that is all the device's input lag and not even taking into account your televisions'? Or if they are saying stuff like that then it's reason to believe it is just whatever set they tested it on at the time.

Khaz

I've been looking a their NTSC SNES SCART cable. Assuming I buy from them, I should be able to use any old SCART to HDMI adapter, correct? There isn't any weird Euro PAL SCART standard that will much things up?

Scart is Scart. The PAL/NTCS for some consoles refers to the pinout on the console side, which can differ depending on the region of origin of the console. SNES and Saturn are two that I remember of now, there may be more.

I've been looking a their NTSC SNES SCART cable. Assuming I buy from them, I should be able to use any old SCART to HDMI adapter, correct? There isn't any weird Euro PAL SCART standard that will much things up?

SCART is just a cable standard designed to carry several different types of analog signals. The weirdness comes from the fact that Japan decided to create a standard of its own using the same connection but with a different pinout. Unfortunately, some of these lines carry a 5-V DC voltage which can damage your equipment if used in the wrong device.

Just noticed Mega was banned again. Just can't stay un-banned.

All the best people get banned a lot. I wonder if it was for openly talking about downloading from a torrent.

Roge_NES

Finally got a good desk for my PVM.

nmlNgFb.jpg

ufbL9zL.jpg

Needlecrash

I've decided to give the PS2 a visual makeover treatment. I want to run it through my Panasonic Plasma and I've used the SCART-HDMI converter before with no issues. Thinking about getting a SCART cable for my PS2. Anyone else done this? It will be run through my converter.

just finished it. Pretty good video, though I think the fact that they only did console everdrives and the sd2snes somewhat limits the utility of the video. Like a video on TVs that exclusively looks at sony tvs or something. Just doesn't give a good picture of the different options. Could be I'm biased, though, since handhelds are the main thing I like flashcarts for.
I've decided to give the PS2 a visual makeover treatment. I want to run it through my Panasonic Plasma and I've used the SCART-HDMI converter before with no issues. Thinking about getting a SCART cable for my PS2. Anyone else done this? It will be run through my converter.
I use a proper upscaler, but I've done my fair share of PS2 research.

You're not going to get 480p via that adapter unless -- and this seems exceedingly unlikely -- it takes RGsB sync-on-green, so that's a concern. If your display is shit at deinterlacing or if the box fucks up 480i you'll have issues.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
just finished it. Pretty good video, though I think the fact that they only did console everdrives and the sd2snes somewhat limits the utility of the video. Like a video on TVs that exclusively looks at sony tvs or something. Just doesn't give a good picture of the different options. Could be I'm biased, though, since handhelds are the main thing I like flashcarts for.
Which is why I'm glad they'll be doing other videos showcasing those also.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Pretty sure Cory said a couple minutes in that handhelds would be touched on in a future video. They seem to prefer to be more specific with their videos, so not surprising.

Which is why I'm glad they'll be doing other videos showcasing those also.

Pretty sure Cory said a couple minutes in that handhelds would be touched on in a future video. They seem to prefer to be more specific with their videos, so not surprising.

I realize that, but segregating the videos like that makes it more difficult to have direct comparisons and showcase the utility of flashcarts more generally. I just think they're narrowing the scope of the individual videos for the worse.

TeaJay

He talks about the MSU-1 patches, and I'm so happy he showcased the Super Metroid MSU1 which is probably the best of them I've tried.

he even mentioned the conflicting RAM problem on the PC Engine when using the Everdrive and CD games, which was awesome. I really appreciate this kind of stuff when someone actually does his research - and presents it in a really interesting way.

Khaz

Why not use Component? 480p and no adapter / no additional lag

Needlecrash

I use a proper upscaler, but I've done my fair share of PS2 research.

You're not going to get 480p via that adapter unless -- and this seems exceedingly unlikely -- it takes RGsB sync-on-green, so that's a concern. If your display is shit at deinterlacing or if the box fucks up 480i you'll have issues.

So, I guess I'm better off getting a Framemeister or the OSSC once it's available again.

So you know how there's all of these CRT shaders and scan line generators for old console games emulated on PC? What if you want to play old computer games? I was thinking an easy way to do that would be to buy an old PC with an old Windows version running and just find discs, but what if you wanted to use your new PC? Sites like GOG sell a lot of gems, but I don't always like the way they look on new monitors. Something like Diablo looks fantastic on a CRT monitor running on an old PC, but upscaled and whatever else needs to be done to display it on fixed pixel, not so great. Are there CRT effects that can be applied to old PC games displayed on new PCs?

purdobol

Are there CRT effects that can be applied to old PC games displayed on new PCs?

Haven't heard of such shaders for regular PC games. I mean it can be done in a way of writing a dx9 wrapper similar to ENB series for example. But the caveat would be compatibility with older games that use dx8 and below. It's not impossible but more effort than it's worth in my opinion. Adding to this the fact that old PC games (and old PCs) are not exactly highly popular items for retro collectors, compared to the consoles and conosle games. So the support and demand for such application is not that high.

So in reality the best way to go right now is buying old CRT and uisng it as a secondary monitor for older games that handle lower resolutions only (up to 1024x768).
For stuff from golden age (late 90 to early 2000) cheap core2duo based PC is not giving me any problems. And most of the games that are having issues launching, have some sort of fan made patches to resolve the issues.

For really old stuff DosBox is the way to go. It's not ideal but unless you wan't to deal with configuring old games, especially sound ( choosing IRQ and stuff) i would not recommend original hardware (386,486 IBM PCs).

That of course leaves a huge gap in between meaning all windows 3.x games and aplications. Don't know of any (working) emulator for that system, so the only option here is real hardware.

Khaz

I agree with the idea of keeping a CRT as a secondary monitor in a lower resolution, it's probably the easiest to get the old visuals back. But I'm biased towards CRTs.

Even then there hare hurdles: games without a fan patch or GOG port are likely to run into problems on your modern 64bit OS, the newest graphics cards are ditching the analogue VGA output, and configuring the PC to output the very low definition needed can be really difficult, if not impossible. Modern OSes and drivers are simply not designed with a variable definition in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom