• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE |OT| Your entire childhood rolled into one

I remember reading in the Retro section of Games TM years ago, about a little game called Grand Theftendo. It's been a while :)

Edit: ooh very late with that.

GrayFoxPL

This thread and game =
iboLYQlZe3qcae.png
:)

I hope you can turn off that CRT TV border. I use my Wii on an actual CRT, so that would just end up being redundant. :p

The dev mentioned when showing off the vita version there are many different filters you can use for the game. For instance one I think was a gameboy color scheme So I am sure you could turn off the CRT border.

ShaneB

I think I'm looking forward to the virt and Norrin Radd music more than anything, but the game looks awesome regardless.

Same here. I have no idea when I'll get around to playing this. I've been waiting forever for it, but right now, I'm buried under games I should already be playing. I'm so excited for the soundtrack however like you mentioned, Virt and Norrin Radd are some of my favourite chiptune composers.

Aeana

I'm actually kinda wondering whether this appeals at all to people who didn't grow up with these games, or if it is pretty much only of interest to those who did. Is anybody in here young enough that NES gaming is out of your realm of nostalgia, but you're still interested in the game?

Mrbob

There is a RCR page on Steam, but no pre order option available. Anyone know when this is going up?

Who's publishing it on XBLA?

I wouldn't be surprised if ms put a bullit in it, they hate having stuff late.

If it gets great reviews that would probably secure it tho.

It would be a shame if MS buried RCR. Especially since it sounds like MS has been the reason the game has been held up from release on other platforms.

edeo

The demo left a bad taste in my mouth. It felt like Family Guy: The Video Game. Lots of empty references with no nuance.

LQX

$15 for game that looks like a NEC game...but you can swim in Scrooge McDucks money bin. Hopefully the demo blows me away and is as good as some are saying.

I'm actually kinda wondering whether this appeals at all to people who didn't grow up with these games, or if it is pretty much only of interest to those who did. Is anybody in here young enough that NES gaming is out of your realm of nostalgia, but you're still interested in the game?

Im 22, so NES misses me and I'm still super interested. Considering day one.

JEKKI

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan I pre-paid for this on the guy's website ages ago!!

I got mp3s and pdf files to show for it!!

KalBalboa

Banned
$15 for game that looks like a NEC game...but you can swim in Scrooge McDucks money bin. Hopefully the demo blows me away and is as good as some are saying.

What platform would you be buying on? As a big PlayStation guy it seems like the biggest bonus is Cross-Buy, so the $15 would be going a long way.

I don't know if you should judge the game simply because of its graphics style. It seems to be a very lengthy and meaty game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Funny, I always assumed this was a remake of River City Ransom.

But I'm pretty excited to play this now that I know what it actually is. Kind of anyway.

Yeah, having read up on the game, there's certainly potential. It's just the title that threw me off.

Aeana

If the game looking like an NES game is a negative for you, I'm not really sure you're going to like it. The entire driving force behind the game and its marketing is to appeal to nostalgia. Not just in the graphics, but in all of the homages and things in the game as well.

I'm 25, I grew up on the NES as a wee lad so. This game is an absolute nostalgia-fest for me.

Takao

Banned
Who's publishing it on XBLA?

I wouldn't be surprised if ms put a bullit in it, they hate having stuff late.

If it gets great reviews that would probably secure it tho.

D3 showed it off at E3 but they don't appear to be involved anymore.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Always loved the idea of the game. Really depends on execution at this point.
Assuming all is good, I'll probably bite on both Steam and PS3/Vita x-play.
Seems a shame not get on Wii, though.

Hiltz

I don't even like Grand Theft Auto, but Retro City Rampage is something I can probably dig since it's over the top and not grounded in realism.

Ath

23 here, it was all about the SNES, Mega Drive and Game Boy for me growing up (though my next door neighbour had a NES which was awesome!), I'm definitely interested! What drew me to the game first was the ambitiousness of trying to port GTA3 to the NES (this was back when it was first announced as Grand Theftendo).

Now that we know it's coming out in just a couple of days my excitement is also coming back. I think I may set aside Dishonored and XCOM for this. Buying on Steam, will probably get the PSN version at some point to have it portable. (Vita)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I was reading an interview with the creator of the game, and he said there's also tons of references to tv shows and movies. He mentioned Saved by the Bell as an example. Lol

Top Bottom