• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE |OT| Your entire childhood rolled into one

Ultimadrago

Aaand you ruined the cool gif streak this thread had.

creepypandaijj4x.gif

Hah, it has been too long since I last saw this.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm waiting for reviews. No game gets a free pass from me based solely on nostalgia and retro graphics.

Endo Punk

That cereal commercial is so good it reminds me I have to brush up on my 80's slang in preparation for the best game of the year! Radicaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Given the existance of 10 Min Video Demos like THIS, The Soundtrack/Demo Mixtape, and the insane amount of mini vids on the Youtube channel (detailing special moves, cameos, and various retro-nods)... I think this game has done a pretty good job at spilling it's guts to the masses, letting them know exactly what they're getting with it.

The only things I could see REALLY detracting from it now are HORRIBLE controls, or an ocean of glitches and bugs.

Some games give you the impression that they use retro graphics, or loads of nostalgic grabs, in order to cover up poorly-concieved gameplay. I've never gotten that feeling from this game.

If anything, it seems like he's taken the retro look, and used it to give himself the capability to build a game with modern-day level content, but with a smaller budget and workforce.

I enjoyed reading this Interview with Brian a few years back.

We’ve made a decision to add a number of Xbox Live features which will delay the game’s release, but will result in a much more social game. These features include a character creator in which players can share their creations with their friends, the ability to record and share replays, and challenge friends’ scores throughout the game. With the additional development time, I’m also adding a number of missions which I had hoped to fit in before, but was unable to due to the previously tighter schedule. We’re also adding some fantastic cameos in the vein of Super Meat Boy.

I wonder how much of that still rings true? Is a lot of that XBLA version only now, or maybe those features made it to all versions now? Considering the PSN version has cameos by Playstation Blog people + #YOPO, I wouldn't be surprised if the base game was the same on all platforms, but a few special features helped make each version unique...

I think the only thing this game is missing, for me, is couch co-op. But hey, that's what sequels are for! And it's great you basically get 2 copies of the game on PSN for 1 price, will make paying for the XBLA version later on more of a "Thank you!" type deal.

Endo Punk

I wonder how much of that still rings true? Is a lot of that XBLA version only now, or maybe those features made it to all versions now? Considering the PSN version has cameos by Playstation Blog people + #YOPO, I wouldn't be surprised if the base game was the same on all platforms, but a few special features helped make each version unique...

I think the only thing this game is missing, for me, is couch co-op. But hey, that's what sequels are for! And it's great you basically get 2 copies of the game on PSN for 1 price, will make paying for the XBLA version later on more of a "Thank you!" type deal.

It's a good decision. I rather the game get more content on 360 than delay across all platforms, the game has been delayed enough as it is.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's a good decision. I rather the game get more content on 360 than delay across all platforms, the game has been delayed enough as it is.

Yeah, but that interview was from back in 2010. Game probably wasn't even coming to PSN at that point.

But I agree with what you say, I'd be perfectly happy with the 360 version ending up like Joe Danger 2 is on PSN; Released later, but with some bonus content to make it up to the fans. (And to entice people to Double/triple/quad-Dip even more.)

Some games give you the impression that they use retro graphics, or loads of nostalgic grabs, in order to cover up poorly-concieved gameplay. I've never gotten that feeling from this game.

If anything, it seems like he's taken the retro look, and used it to give himself the capability to build a game with modern-day level content, but with a smaller budget and workforce.

Hmm... what separates this game from some of the other "retro" titles is that is just more than a modern game with 8-bit styled window dressing. The game engine really was coded to run on real NES hardware, and most of the development/ debug tools were also deigned from the ground up for the console as well. I'm not sure if this game is running on some souped up NES emulator or if the engine was ported to these consoles natively, but they almost did treat development like they were creating a real 8-bit Nintendo game.

That just gives it a very authentic feel and look, when you watch it in videos. Even the music emulates the NES sounds very faithfully. I'm not sure if they are using .way and MP3 files for the music, or if the main programmer built his own NES styled sound engine here?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hmm... what separates this game from some of the other "retro" titles is that is just more than a modern game with 8-bit styled window dressing. The game engine really was coded to run on real NES hardware, and most of the development/ debug tools were also deigned from the ground up for the console as well. I'm not sure if this game is running on some souped up NES emulator or if the engine was ported to these consoles natively, but they almost did treat development like they were creating a real 8-bit Nintendo game.

That just gives it a very authentic feel and look, when you watch it in videos. Even the music emulates the NES sounds very faithfully. I'm not sure if they are using .way and MP3 files for the music, or if the main programmer built his own NES styled sound engine here?

Ahh yes, the authenticity is a very big deal for "those in the know", but I don't know if it helps those who would detract from the game, based on it's "dated" audio and visual aesthetic.

But it's a great example for how much a labor-of-love this project seems to be. It's the furthest thing from a "simple nostalgia cash-grab" that one can get.

And while I would have loved to see a game like this have a "Secrets of Grindea" 16-bit inspired presentation, I think he's done a very good job at the NES-level graphics. The kind of thing that doesn't feel like it's lacking for detail, even if the character sprites are not even 10 pixels tall!

Awwww, I'm broke right now. :(

Hopefully, the demo offers a nice amount of gameplay for you, then! Join in on some of the fun, without paying a dime!

Endo Punk

So I'm assuming you've played it already if you're saying this...

The game is totally tubular, so like don't have a cow man. If you can't handle this homeboy then you better take off eh, your bogus attitude is not needed in this radical thread. Gnarly!

Peagles

Ah man so cool to see this releasing. I feel like I made that preorder so so long ago for PC!

Listening to the soundtrack now, it's pretty groovy, hehe.

Will probably double-dip to get some use out of my Vita too!

this should be compared to port begging! :p

its a cheap game! and you get the Vita version for free :D

That's mean. I've got around $40 to live on till the next week, so I'm not going to spend $15 now, yet I'm really tempted to play. As I said, going to get it later.

Ahh yes, the authenticity is a very big deal for "those in the know", but I don't know if it helps those who would detract from the game, based on it's "dated" audio and visual aesthetic.

But it's a great example for how much a labor-of-love this project seems to be. It's the furthest thing from a "simple nostalgia cash-grab" that one can get.

And while I would have loved to see a game like this have a "Secrets of Grindea" 16-bit inspired presentation, I think he's done a very good job at the NES-level graphics. The kind of thing that doesn't feel like it's lacking for detail, even if the character sprites are not even 10 pixels tall!

Maybe if this one does well they will do a sequel with a 16 bit style? But yeah I agree. Not sure how the typical gamer who isn't in the know would react to the visuals and audio here. And I do agree that it all comes down to how well the game design and controls are.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

That actually worries me just a bit as there are a lot of things that the NES simply could not do. The hardware was VERY limited and I'd hate for this game to be limited in that way.

Source? I know full well about the project's Grand Theftendo origins, but I was under the impression that the developer had abandoned that due to technical limitations and was coding it natively for current-gen hardware. The colors and number of onscreen moving objects definitely look a bit beyond what NES can handle, though I could be wrong.

Tizoc

I actually thought this was a new River City Ransom game until I double checked the game's title.
Non the less I'll still be getting it, not for nostlogia, but mainly because it looks interesting to me.

Haunted

That actually worries me just a bit as there are a lot of things that the NES simply could not do. The hardware was VERY limited and I'd hate for this game to be limited in that way.
That's how development started out but he has abandoned the self-imposed NES limitations since then.

He talked about it a bit in an IGN interview.

Aeana

The game as it is now absolutely couldn't run on an NES, and you can tell just by watching the videos. For one, there's frequently way too many sprites on one line. That's something you can fix in emulators, but the NES would grind to a halt and flicker like crazy.

Rootbeer

Banned
i really wonder what the differences between platforms will be like... i'm already committed to the steam version + PSN version so i should be covered

Empty

huh i always thought this game was just retro stylings on 2d gta. didn't realize it had all those other game parodies in there too. looks rad.

Top Bottom