• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Why you guys going crazy for the model 2 Saturn? I always preferred the model 1 or Victor or Hi-Saturns.

Truth.

1Vgu47H.jpg

D.Lo

That looks like it was designed by the blind man who did the US SNES. Yes I know he did the NES as well, he evidently went blind sometime after 1985.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
In case it wasn't posted here already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws3DJF7MbMU&t

The AMIGA!!! Very informative documentary
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

ok guys, just came back from picking up dinner and this is what my retro store had in terms of Saturn systems.
the import system seems alot more.

It's so high cause it's boxed. Do they not have any unboxed ones? They go significantly cheaper. I sold an unboxed one to them a couple of weeks ago.

You should probably be able to get an unboxed US Saturn for like 30 - 60 bucks. I'll take a look but I don't think I have any more spare Saturns.

BTails

i wish i got into Saturn earlier.

Don't we all. I actually remember back during that generation, one of the guys that worked at my local game shop had imported one of the Marvel Capcom fighting games and a RAM cart from Japan, and was showing off how awesome it was in store. Being young and foolish at the time, I didn't see the benefit, especially considering the market (and myself) was all about 3d at the time.

Don't we all. I actually remember back during that generation, one of the guys that worked at my local game shop had imported one of the Marvel Capcom fighting games and a RAM cart from Japan, and was showing off how awesome it was in store. Being young and foolish at the time, I didn't see the benefit, especially considering the market (and myself) was all about 3d at the time.
That Bernie Stolar mentality

I'm glad I got most of my Saturn stuff when I did. It wasn't exactly cheap then but it was a far cry from what the prices are like today. I can't believe that I paid 25 bucks for a sealed with ram cart copy of SFZ3, and looking on ebay that's 300 - 500 bucks now. For 300 bucks you might as well buy the arcade boards.

Fularu

Banned
I had a Sega Saturn long before I got a PlayStation

I'm a huuuuge Sega fanboy (SMS, MD, MCD, GG, Nomad and then the Saturn).

Despite that, I still don't own a 32x :(

If I wanted to get one for monster rancher, can I just plug a cable in and get rgb? What games are worth getting? I don't like Crash or metal gear.

Fularu

Banned
If I wanted to get one for monster rancher, can I just plug a cable in and get rgb? What games are worth getting? I don't like Crash or metal gear.

Yes, my PSOne was scart connected (but you need a proper scart cable, first PSOne units just came with an RCA Composite to Scart adapter which gives a shitty picture.

Actually, it's the same cable for PSOne and PS2 (and I believe PS3 if you don'T use the HDMI port on fat PS2 compatible models)

fireflame

I never played Monster Rancher but as a kid there was an anime with this name, about a kid who goes in a virtual world where he fights a demon lord, he has a rabbit and a wolf, as well as a cyclope-head and a golem helping him

Timu

I'm glad I got most of my Saturn stuff when I did. It wasn't exactly cheap then but it was a far cry from what the prices are like today. I can't believe that I paid 25 bucks for a sealed with ram cart copy of SFZ3, and looking on ebay that's 300 - 500 bucks now. For 300 bucks you might as well buy the arcade boards.
That price...

IrishNinja

damn, back in 2013 i swung a boxed saturn with Sonic R, Guardian Heroes & i wanna say 1 other game for $40 on craigslist...even then, it felt like a steal

My best retro purchase was Mega Man the Wily Wars (without manual) for £25. Then I got a brand new copy for £40. This was a few years back in the late '00s. Now it goes for £180+!

meppi

Guess I'm one of the crazy people who got a PSone the day it launched (09/30/1995), then got a N64 even before launch in my country (03/14/1997) and shortly after finally bought a Saturn (05/27/1997) because I was disappointed with the type of games the PSone was getting.
I clearly remember it as the "brown polygon years" which wasn't my thing and bored me to death.
The Saturn ended up being my system of choice and overall favourite console till this day.

In 97 these were my only PSone pickups:

Star Gladiator
Namco Museum Vol.3
Namco Museum Vol.4
Raystorm
Final Fantasy 7
Tempest X3
Xevious 3D/G+
Castlevania Symphony Of The Night
Arcade's Greatest Hits Atari Collection Vol.1

And while it had a couple of real classics, it just wasn't enough for me.

The same year I bought the following Saturn games:

Sega Rally
Fighters Megamix
Sega Ages Vol.1
Virtua Cop + Gun
Daytona USA
NiGHTS + 3D Pad
Night Warriors
X-Men Children Of The Atom
Megaman X 3
Sonic Jam
Panzer Dragoon
Virtual On
Darius Gaiden
Galactic Attack

Which exploded in 98 as I got into Japanese imports as well.

So glad I was there in the heydays for most of it and got to experience the excitement as the games were coming out.

Oh and my best "purchase" was a copy of Starwing Competition Edition that I got for free from my local store a couple of weeks after the competition ended. :)

I got GameCube component cables with a GameCube and GBP and 6 games for $80 last year. That really felt like stealing.

Not really a purchase but someone gave me a set of 30 Super Famicom games for free, including a boxed copy of FE Thracia 776. I offered to pay and she refused!

my friend had it and i laughed at him. now i'm ashamed

Now you're gonna pay for those expensive ones!

damn you're right

Ape Escape was a lot of fun. Some other iconic games work checking out are Parappa, Suikoden II, Symphony of the Night, Raiden Project, Umihara Kawase Shun, and Wipeout 3 among others

Peltz

I always loved Saturn but just couldn't justify getting one to my parents after an N64 and PS1.

bodine1231

Looking for some advice on what to do with the games I picked up over the weekend. I want to collect NES games,however I want a super curated collection,I only want the really really fun titles. I have an Everdrive so owning everything and all the super expensive stuff is not necessary,I'd just like to own the original carts of my favorite games. Having the box on some of these is awesome,and I plan on keeping the ones I have nostalgia for (mario,mega man,contra,etc) but I don't plan on buying OG boxes for all the games,that would be way to expensive. I'll be making my own repro boxes or go the Universal Game Case route to protect them and have a nicer looking shelf.

My question is, would I get more value by selling most of the boxed games and loose games I dont want or would I do better trying to trade them? Most of the games I want for my collection arent super rare,its the usual suspects like all the Mega Man games,Capcom Disney games,etc.

koopas

I was checking the prices again...it's not getting any better, in fact, games like Hyper Duel seem to get even higher!
I was actually just thinking I should have picked up Hyper Duel about six months ago when I had the chance .... it's since gone up quite a fair amount in that time

KC-Slater

Model 1 Saturns look way more premium than model 2 ones. Especially that fugly Fischer Price looking JP white.

Those round buttons look awful. I may be in the minority, but I still think the black NA model 1 looks the best, followed but the grey JP model 1. The Japanese logo is so much better, though. That font choice on the NA model is something else...

BTails

Missed this post! Depending on how I feel when I wake up, the PSX is sometimes my favourite console. It's got such an amazing and eclectic line up, with so many standouts, no matter what genre. Some of my standouts, staying away from the titles you ALWAYS hear about:

Parasite Eve: Action RPG from Squaresoft during their peak years
Bust-a-Groove 1 & 2 (Bust a Move in JP): Awesome rhythm dancing games
Incredible Crisis: VERY Japanese crazy mini-game collection... Thing...
Twisted Metal series (but especially 2): Car combat at its finest
Fear Effect 1 & 2: Action/Survival Horror with a great aesthetic
Alundra: The best Zelda game not made by Nintendo, and I don't say that lightly.

Looking for some advice on what to do with the games I picked up over the weekend. I want to collect NES games,however I want a super curated collection,I only want the really really fun titles. I have an Everdrive so owning everything and all the super expensive stuff is not necessary,I'd just like to own the original carts of my favorite games. Having the box on some of these is awesome,and I plan on keeping the ones I have nostalgia for (mario,mega man,contra,etc) but I don't plan on buying OG boxes for all the games,that would be way to expensive. I'll be making my own repro boxes or go the Universal Game Case route to protect them and have a nicer looking shelf.

My question is, would I get more value by selling most of the boxed games and loose games I dont want or would I do better trying to trade them? Most of the games I want for my collection arent super rare,its the usual suspects like all the Mega Man games,Capcom Disney games,etc.

The problem with trading is finding people to do it with. Good luck finding anyone local, and most people who have the rare games you want aren't likely to trade them away for several more common games. Best bet is definitely to list individually on eBay. Give us GAFers a chance first, though! I see a few I'd be interested in for sure if I can get a closer look in pics.

Top Bottom