• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

dubc35

I wasn't fond of DD2 gameplay back in the day (maybe I was too tied to DD1). Was 2 generally received as better than 1?

D.Lo

Yeah 2 on Fami/NES is definitely the best of the series. IMO 4/Return on Super Fami is the second best, even though it's fairly barebones for its era.

Timu

Yeah 2 on Fami/NES is definitely the best of the series. IMO 4/Return on Super Fami is the second best, even though it's fairly barebones for its era.
Have you played Double Dragon Advance? I really like that one and is one of the better DD games.

Hey retroGAF,
ok was reading/posting DD from car but just got home.
i picked up dinner and got this while waiting: long box is really clean but manual has creases, it even has that spongy thing in the middle:

4hliOQG.jpg

urrc7PD.jpg

f9v8VTl.jpg

ZCr4Din.jpg

qFrJweeh.jpg
double post this in shooterGAF

Arzehn

^Nice pickup, looks mint

So I'm looking for a easy solution on getting Gameboy, Color, Advance games on my PVM. I'm thinking to import a Super Gameboy 2 (fixed clock speeds from 1) since i'm all set on the SNES front.

Can anyone confirm that these are the only games I would NOT be able to play on the SGB2? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Game_Boy_Color-only_games
The rest of the library should work right? The FF and DQ games being the main concern.
Edit: I noticed on the DQ wikia that DQ3 does not work on the SGB so this list might not be accurate...

I know that the SGB2 won't play Advance games and it has the ugly borders around the game but I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle for Advance games at this time. The Gameboy Player isn't out the question for me yet but from what i understand it would require me to buy a bunch of stuff (incl the GC) + mess with SD loaders to play in 240p.

PS: Can the gameboy border overlay be removed and just zoom in on the game? I don't have a lot of screen to begin with. :p

Hey retroGAF,
ok was reading/posting DD from car but just got home.
i picked up dinner and got this while waiting: long box is really clean but manual has creases, it even has that spongy thing in the middle:

double post this in shooterGAF
Nice. Your local store seems like a good one you're always nabbing quality stuff. I think I want to collect all PS1 long boxes. That was the first era I was reading game mags and completely obsessed. My first PS1 game was street fighter alpha longbox. I actually confused street fighter and streets of rage and was disappointed when I got home to play it.

thanks guys,

i just looked up In the Hunt and just found out the same team went on to make the Metal Slug series =) didn't know that. game looks amazing.

yeah it was pricey looking on ebay... damn shooters are expensive.

Nice. Your local store seems like a good one you're always nabbing quality stuff. I think I want to collect all PS1 long boxes. That was the first era I was reading game mags and completely obsessed. My first PS1 game was street fighter alpha longbox. I actually confused street fighter and streets of rage and was disappointed when I got home to play it.

the only other long box i have is for ps1 is raiden project. it has the Saturn Sega CD style jewel case. i still want a resident evil long box.

Peltz

I went on a slight shopping spree today and grabbed four games I've been meaning to pick up for a long time:

1. Resident Evil (REmake) on GCN - my first RE game!
2. Zelda 2: AOL - the last Zelda game I need to complete my Zelda collection.
3. Eternal Darkness - I owned this game a long time ago but sold it before giving it a proper chance.
4. Kirby's Dream Course - I'm actually most excited about this one. I've always loved this game via emulation and now will own the original cart to play in my SNES for the first time. I cannot wait.

I haven't bought any old games in quite some time, so I figure I was due for some fairly new experiences.

Edit: make that six games -

5. Excitebike 64 - Never played this but figured I'd take a shot on it for 5 bucks
6. Pilotwings 64 - Similar sort of thing. It was cheap and a first party Nintendo game, so I felt justified in buying it blind.

I went on a slight shopping spree today and grabbed four games I've been meaning to pick up for a long time:

2. Zelda 2: AOL - the last Zelda game I need to complete my Zelda collection.
3. Eternal Darkness - I owned this game a long time ago but sold it before giving it a proper chance.
4. Kirby's Dream Course - I'm actually most excited about this one. I've always loved this game via emulation and now will own the original cart to play in my SNES for the first time. I cannot wait.

I haven't bought any old games in quite some time, so I figure I was due for some fairly new experiences.

Edit: make that six games -

5. Excitebike 64 - Never played this but figured I'd take a shot on it for 5 bucks
6. Pilotwings 64 - Similar sort of thing. It was cheap and a first party Nintendo game, so I felt justified in buying it blind.

yes! play resident evil remake and eternal darkness.

IrishNinja

yeah, that's a mighty fine haul, Peltz - i literally just finished REmake this last halloween, but i've been praising that game since it dropped! Eternal Darkness too, i really should go back for the other endings one day

D.Lo

Two awesome games. REmake is sublime. And EB64 is super well done, with a bit of a leaning curve.

Peltz

Wow, so much praise for REmake! Now that I think about it, I don't even think I've ever actually played survival horror before. Like I said, I gave ED a few minutes play time, but was too into other games to really focus on it back in the day so I sold it. I also tried Zombi U, but felt kinda "meh" on that game.

So I hope RE is a good introduction to the genre. I'll probably check it out before Eternal Darkness.

I'm also really psyched for Zelda 2. I never got too far in that one on VC, but I think I will actually plow through on the original console.

Wow, so much praise for REmake! Now that I think about it, I don't even think I've ever actually played survival horror before. Like I said, I gave ED a few minutes play time, but was too into other games to really focus on it back in the day so I sold it. I also tried Zombi U, but felt kinda "meh" on that game.

So I hope RE is a good introduction to the genre. I'll probably check it out before Eternal Darkness.

I'm also really psyched for Zelda 2. I never got too far in that one on VC, but I think I will actually plow through on the original console.

Well you're starting with the best survival horror game so be prepared to be disappointed by everything else.

Just remember not to get discouraged if you die and lose a lot of progress.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Zelda 2 is amazing, hope you will enjoy it.

I also just played Resident Evil 1&2 (the originals) for the first time earlier this year, and found both of them incredible, and Im sure Remake should hold up even better. Have fun!

The only Resident Evil game I've been able to play all the way through is Code Veronica. I'm not sure why. It probably has something to do with it being on a Sega console.

-KRS-

^Nice pickup, looks mint

So I'm looking for a easy solution on getting Gameboy, Color, Advance games on my PVM. I'm thinking to import a Super Gameboy 2 (fixed clock speeds from 1) since i'm all set on the SNES front.

Can anyone confirm that these are the only games I would NOT be able to play on the SGB2? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Game_Boy_Color-only_games
The rest of the library should work right? The FF and DQ games being the main concern.
Edit: I noticed on the DQ wikia that DQ3 does not work on the SGB so this list might not be accurate...

I know that the SGB2 won't play Advance games and it has the ugly borders around the game but I'm not sure if I want to go through the hassle for Advance games at this time. The Gameboy Player isn't out the question for me yet but from what i understand it would require me to buy a bunch of stuff (incl the GC) + mess with SD loaders to play in 240p.

PS: Can the gameboy border overlay be removed and just zoom in on the game? I don't have a lot of screen to begin with. :p
The SGB and SGB2 can only play games that an original Game Boy can. So yeah that means no color games either, except for the ones that also work on original Game Boy. That's why dq3 wouldn't work, since from what I can tell it's a Game Boy Color only game.

And no you can't remove the borders. Well you can remove them and just have a black border instead, but you can't zoom in on the game any more than it already is. The borders for some games are pretty cool though, and is one of the reasons to play on a SGB in the first place.

On the GC Game Boy Player you can zoom in a bit more but it still won't fill the screen, and the image will get blurrier when you do. But if you want to play the complete game boy library up to Advance on a TV then the GB Player is the only choice.

The SGB and SGB2 can only play games that an original Game Boy can. So yeah that means no color games either, except for the ones that also work on original Game Boy. That's why dq3 wouldn't work, since from what I can tell it's a Game Boy Color only game.

And no you can't remove the borders. Well you can remove them and just have a black border instead, but you can't zoom in on the game any more than it already is. The borders for some games are pretty cool though, and is one of the reasons to play on a SGB in the first place.

On the GC Game Boy Player you can zoom in a bit more but it still won't fill the screen, and the image will get blurrier when you do. But if you want to play the complete game boy library up to Advance on a TV then the GB Player is the only choice.

I feel like until we get an HDMI cable mod that goes directly into the Gamecube(without case modification) I will be unwilling to just get a Game Boy Player. Anyone know the progress on the HDMI cable mod?

Peltz

The one thing you can't do with erectile dysfunction, is playing with it.

True dat. My original N64 joystick got ED. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to stand up for adequate play sessions.

There's no greater buzzkill than a wet noodle joystick.

SmZA

Is this the best place to post pics of a DOS PC setup? I'm very close to finishing my machine. I still have to solder my Roland MPU-401 clone which will be a big job (for me).

Timu

My new years retro resolutions:

Buy more Saturn games

Get a new capture card

Do more retro games for youtube

Happy New Year as well.

TeaJay

My new years retro resolutions:

Buy more Saturn games

Get a new capture card

Do more retro games for youtube

Happy New Year as well.

If you do get a new capture card, offer me your old one, since I still haven't got around getting one. Even the cheaper one is 200 $/€ (with postal fees and customs) on Amazon and I just haven't been able to drop that lately.

And happy new year to all retro folks here.

Peltz

Goddamn.... REmake and Eternal Darkness both have disc read errors. My Gamecube performs flawlessly with other games (as does my Wii).

I hate getting scammed on eBay.

My new years resolution:

Play more retro games I already own, particularly long RPGs that I've barely touched.

Also, grab more of Intelligent Systems' games. I recently re-discovered how amazing they are.

My retro gaming goals this year:

Drastically increase the number of games I own for Sega consoles.

Mod or get modded a Game Gear for RGB-out. Same with my Famicom.

Get my PC-98 working (this should be easy. I'm pretty sure it just needs DOS installed).

Phantasy Star tattoo

More X68000 games

GameCube component out?

Goddamn.... REmake and Eternal Darkness both have disc read errors. My Gamecube performs flawlessly with other games (as does my Wii).

I hate getting scammed on eBay.

the reality is if you resurface gamecube games there's a chance they will fail completely.
a local retro store in Jersey had fire emblem fully working but after customer brought it, he asked for the store to resurface it on the house bc he wanted the disc to look mint. it wouldn't work any more. after multiple attempts to resurface it, the guy just got a refund. now that store doesn't offer free resurfacing for games purchased for gamecube games.

for some reason i've only seen it happen for GC games not on PS2/1 games.

the reality is if you resurface gamecube games there's a chance they will fail completely.
a local retro store in Jersey had fire emblem fully working but after customer brought it, he asked for the store to resurface it on the house bc he wanted the disc to look mint. it wouldn't work any more. after multiple attempts to resurface it, the guy just got a refund. now that store doesn't offer free resurfacing for games purchased for gamecube games.

for some reason i've only seen it happen for GC games not on PS2/1 games.

Maybe the buffing messed up the burst cutting area and the system could no longer decrypt the game.

Top Bottom