• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Peltz

I'm bummed either way. What I did play of Eternal Darkness though was....

... rough. I can't believe Nintendo funded this game. I'm sure it's good and all once you get past it, but man those graphics are just so poorly made - and I'm not one to criticize graphics of old games like most of GAF.

I can still enjoy very very old looking games, but the art direction in ED (at least to start the game) is just so bad. It has nothing to do with age or technology, and more to do with what the artists did with that technology.

The way this guy animates, specifically, is pretty absurd:

latest

televator

I'm bummed either way. What I did play of Eternal Darkness though was....

... rough. I can't believe Nintendo funded this game. I'm sure it's good and all once you get past it, but man those graphics are just so poorly made - and I'm not one to criticize graphics of old games like most of GAF.

I can still enjoy very very old looking games, but the art direction in ED (at least to start the game) is just so bad. It has nothing to do with age or technology, and more to do with what the artists did with that technology.

The way this guy animates, specifically, is pretty absurd:

latest

Agreed, it is a very rough game. I tried to go back to it before Dyack went and drank the gatorade and realized I had a rose tinted view of the game.

D.Lo

I actually never understood the hype for ED. Played it back in the day and it was okay. Hardly as good as the RE games. I preferred to the much maligned Geist as far as western developed exclusives go, lots of cool ideas in it.

I think the hype was built by Nintendo fans as it was proof the console had exclusive 'mature' titles when the console was being called 'kiddy' by assholes (Celda, Mario is for babies etc).

I loved Eternal Darkness, it did something different than RE or Silent Hill or any of the numerous clones. It was also legitimately scary. Wish Denis Dyack wasn't a complete dildo eater so we could get a sequel someday.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Goddamn.... REmake and Eternal Darkness both have disc read errors. My Gamecube performs flawlessly with other games (as does my Wii).

I hate getting scammed on eBay.

My new years resolution:

Play more retro games I already own, particularly long RPGs that I've barely touched.

Also, grab more of Intelligent Systems' games. I recently re-discovered how amazing they are.

I think this should be my resolution as well.

Anyone have any luck picking up retro games on Amazon? I just found decent deals for Congo's Caper for Snes ($35 box and game) and River City Ransom CIB ($60 all inserts).

Those are pretty good prices I think so here's hoping they don't arrive utterly destroyed.

I once did pick up mega man x for 55 in box with manual, but that had a picture.

Wish me luck!

Olly88

Anyone have any luck picking up retro games on Amazon? I just found decent deals for Congo's Caper for Snes ($35 box and game) and River City Ransom CIB ($60 all inserts).

Those are pretty good prices I think so here's hoping they don't arrive utterly destroyed.

I once did pick up mega man x for 55 in box with manual, but that had a picture.

Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Most of the games I've bought this year were from Amazon (UK to be specific, with a few from Amazon Germany and .com) since I usually have some vouchers waiting to be used. I've been pleasantly surprised overall, considering before I would have almost never considered buying any games without pictures.

Peltz

I have in the past. Amazon has much better buyer protection in place than eBay. Customer service sometimes refunds your money directly if the item is defective rather than having to deal with the seller.

I actually never understood the hype for ED. Played it back in the day and it was okay. Hardly as good as the RE games. I preferred to the much maligned Geist as far as western developed exclusives go, lots of cool ideas in it.

I think the hype was built by Nintendo fans as it was proof the console had exclusive 'mature' titles when the console was being called 'kiddy' by assholes (Celda, Mario is for babies etc).

I really enjoyed ED. More specifically the way the story is told across the different chapters worked really well for me. At the time it was unlike anything I'd seen before, and I still think it's very well done in that game. Not saying it's unique or anything, btw, but the way ED tells the story actually kept me interested and intrigued. And I generally lose interest in a game's story fairly quickly, because there's just so many cookie cutter stuff out there.

D.Lo

Yeah I guess so, but the combat/enemy design etc was iffy from memory? It has been 15 years though...

The combat wasn't amazing iirc. But I don't think the combat is that great either in many RE games tbh, if only for the tank controls. Many games that are considered very good or even great have decent combat at best. Take The Witcher for example. I just don't feel like that was what ED was all about though.

Anyway, I've often found myself liking games when they manage to completely nail just certain aspects of game design, whereas other aspects may be quite flawed. ED did a number of things really well in my book (I liked the sanity effects, I liked some of the characters, I liked the atmosphere in most of the chapters, I loved the way the story is told), so I remember the game fondly.

Laws00

Kinda disappointed there was no talk about CAVE and Toaplan games but hey, they have plenty of material to write about!

Waiting for when they do one about fighting games.....that's going to be a nice one lol

How are you guys cataloging your games? I used to have a custom SQL server driven by code I wrote myself. This became annoying to maintain and I never standardized the way I wrote titles and system names.

Last night, I finished adding everything to RFGeneration instead. Hopefully this will make things easier for me when I'm out shopping and don't know if I own something already.

In case anyone's interested, here's a link to my collection. I still have a few dozen games that aren't in their system that I will have to see if I can get added but overall I think it's a great service.

Kinda disappointed there was no talk about CAVE and Toaplan games but hey, they have plenty of material to write about!

Waiting for when they do one about fighting games.....that's going to be a nice one lol

Got this for X-mas, I enjoyed it, I am just getting into the Aleste titles and enjoy Technosoft's stuff, too, so I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. Excited for volume 2.

Peltz

How are you guys cataloging your games? I used to have a custom SQL server driven by code I wrote myself. This became annoying to maintain and I never standardized the way I wrote titles and system names.

Last night, I finished adding everything to RFGeneration instead. Hopefully this will make things easier for me when I'm out shopping and don't know if I own something already.

In case anyone's interested, here's a link to my collection. I still have a few dozen games that aren't in their system that I will have to see if I can get added but overall I think it's a great service.

I just remember what I own. Hasn't failed me yet.

I just remember what I own. Hasn't failed me yet.

I've lost so many games to moves and theft that I can't remember if a game I've played is one I own, one I used to own, or one that is in incredibly poor condition unless I've played it recently. I have a few titles that I've bought twice and a few titles that I didn't buy for a good price because I couldn't remember if I owned it.

Also, there was one time when I accidentally bought Shining Force CD twice within an hour of each other because I was still jetlagged. I doubt this would fix something like that unless I get in the habit of updating my list immediately.

TeaJay

I agree. My PC-Engine (briefcase) isn't RGB modded so I forget it exists. Also, that shit is expensive.

I'm not one to talk about prices because my games nowadays are on flashcarts and backups, but an RGB modded PC Engine (I've got the Duo) is years ahead of composite, kinda like the NES/Famicom RGB mod. I highly recommend it.

I'm not one to talk about prices because my games nowadays are on flashcarts and backups, but an RGB modded PC Engine (I've got the Duo) is years ahead of composite, kinda like the NES/Famicom RGB mod. I highly recommend it.

It's on the list of things I need to do this year.

Olly88

I use VGCollect. Guess it's pretty much the same kind of site, just with a more modern look.

Khaz

I've tried vgcollect but their database is much smaller, and extremely USA centric. I'm using rfgeneration too, I like how the lists are very tight, easily searchable and it provides a lot of stats about the collection. The ability to keep a wishlist is very important to me too, so I know when I stumble upon a game I remember the name, I know if I checked it as worth it or even if I already got it. And outside I'm just using their app, which has all the same information neatly presented.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Today's pickup, I just had to share. This Mega Drive is flawless except for a slight scuff on the gold lettering, which I'm hoping can be restored with a bit of gold marker pen.

I believe this is a VA5 unit, which is a good, sought-after revision. I haven't inspected the motherboard to confirm yet but I will later on, and I'll likely get it recapped anyway. Very happy right now, can't wait to get it home!

Today's pickup, I just had to share. This Mega Drive is flawless except for a slight scuff on the gold lettering, which I'm hoping can be restored with a bit of gold marker pen.

I believe this is a VA5 unit, which is a good, sought-after revision. I haven't inspected the motherboard to confirm yet but I will later on, and I'll likely get it recapped anyway. Very happy right now, can't wait to get it home!

It's beautiful. Are you in Japan or did you order that online?

KC-Slater

One of the best-looking consoles. Still holds up. I kinda wanna grab another one in pristine cosmetic shape and shadow box it.

looks nice!

Great get, looks sharp! Hook that audio up to a 2.1 system!

Peltz

Kirby's Dream Course is just as rad as I remembered it. Did Iwata or Sakurai work on it? It's such a fun concept.

Hawk269

WOW Great collection. You have some great games in your collection. I have been using RFGeneration for about a month or so when someone in this thread linked me to it. It has been great to use when out and about looking for games. It has already saved me from buying duplicates! Great service.

Top Bottom