• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think I will pick up Wild Guns. Where's the best place to order a physical copy?

It's really odd but there are lots of physical games being released this gen (and for Vita) that would seem to be very niche and worth owning new since they'll likely be harder to find later. It doesn't hurt that they are usually really cool indie titles, too.

Maybe we should try to make a list of these here...???

Might take a week or so, but it'll be available from Amazon directly pretty soon.

I agree that it would be nice to have something that details some of the niche games that have gotten physical releases on PS4/Vita... though the problem is that any list like that immediately gets cluttered by the (IMHO, to avoid offending people) junk LRG's publishing.

Wish the Gamegear had more games that I enjoyed to justify getting one and that mod. Only really has one stand out one that I loved and that was Tail's Adventure.

Peltz

I don't normally criticize game libraries, but I just find the Game Gear's library to be so weak. Like... worse than Virtual Boy levels of weak.

It was my first handheld system and I still have no nostalgia associated with it. Maybe I'm just ignorant? I had Sonic 2 for it. But that game wasn't so hot.

dubc35

Edit, ^ I feel the same although I did enjoy GF boxing and Joe Montana football back in the day. I'm sure they're terrible games but I liked them then. They're probably not worth the amount of AA batteries to power it up (sans ac plug) now!

I need to dig out my GG. The screen cracked when my parents shipped it out so I'm not sure how well/if it works. I need to see George Foreman eat some burgers between rounds in George Foreman's Boxing, lol!

I had a game gear too but didn't have many games and still haven't played many. I definitely had better luck with my game boy. I still have my original game gear and managed to snag my cousins and neither works. Capacitor issue I'm sure. I did find Streets of Rage 2 CIB that I want to try out some time. Cinnemsacre played a Shinobi game that looked all right.

Khaz

GG Shinobi is an fantastic game. The second probably is too, but I barely played that one.

Micro machines was the best game to have if you had a friend, because you could both play simultaneously on a single console. Best multiplayer when holidaying outside with your best mate.

Ecco and Ecco 2 stand on their own compared to the Megadrive versions. Excellent 8bit conversion, and the new engine makes the game slightly easier.

I spent a lot of time on Lemmings. I remember being able to give skills to lemmings while paused, but every other version requires the game to be running. If true then this version has a massive advantage over the others and deserves to be played. Or thrown into a fire, depending how serious you are with your Lemmings gameplay.

I played Defenders of Oasis emulated on GBA during my commute a few years ago, it was a pretty cool JRPG. Quite linear and maybe short, but with an original theme and story.

The Shining Force Gaiden series have been fan-translated, and one was published in English. Fantastic, byte-sized version of their 16bit counterparts. No town to explore, everything is combat and pretty cool if you like the original games.

There were a lot of ports for the SEGA handheld that were great but ultimately the original 16bit was always objectively better. But back then they were the greatest things ever because they were your favourite games on a handheld. Stuff like Mortal Kombat 2, Super Off Road, Wonder Boy...

So many direct conversions of great Master System games, heck original Master System games could be played with an adapter. I tried not to put them in this list, some slipped through...

It's a super personal list, I didn't try to go for the overall top ten that you can find on the internet, instead give an opinion on the stuff I had and played.

D.Lo

I don't normally criticize game libraries, but I just find the Game Gear's library to be so weak. Like... worse than Virtual Boy levels of weak.

It was my first handheld system and I still have no nostalgia associated with it. Maybe I'm just ignorant? I had Sonic 2 for it. But that game wasn't so hot.
I mean yes and no. That awful screen. Even fully refurbished it's a turd. Kind of funny how it was the 'premium' over the GB back in the day and had ads about how much better it was, but a DMG is still totally playable as-is right now.

Even with the screen taken out of the equation, it's kind of dinky. Like its mostly the worst of the Mark III/Master System. Mostly worse M3 ports (zoomed in, no FM). Even the highlight exclusives (the Sonic games, GG Shinobis, Aleste, Ax Battler) are pretty scabby, like they're mid tier MS/M3 games at best.

Comparing to VB is interesting. Not really directly comparable. Small library on VB, and the hardware can be a real pain (literally). But many games are very playable. I love a bit of Galactic Pinball, Mario Clash, Vertical Force, Red Alarm, great arcade fun. And Wario is legit awesome, the best one outside of the Wii game IMO.

I play VB lying down, no stand. Works great that way for me.

I never had a Game Boy and wasn't that interested in one as a kid. I played my Game Gear all the time. Besides Sonic, my favorites were Shinobi, Columns, Chakan, Castle of Illusion and Shining Force (of course). I played some racing and sports games a lot too but it's a great hand held that's hampered by it being not very portable.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Any of you guys picked up Wild Guns Reloaded.

It hurt at 30 bucks, but beats the original cart!

I put in an order with Amazon, will get mine with next shipment! Time to cash in on the original cartridge I guess
doubt i have the heart to do that unfortunately.

Edit: About Game Gear, I own Batman, the two Shinobi-games, and Ax Battler which is a Zelda 2-like spin-off from Golden Axe. Too bad my system is more or less unusable. Definitely need that RGB-out mod!

D.Lo

• Find info about an interesting PS1/Saturn/Dreamcast/PS2/GCN game I don't know about.
  • Look it up on youtube to see some footage.
  • First video turns out to be a lets play and has some moron talking 'hey what's up guys', close immediately
  • Open a video which is just a footage playthrough
  • Endless FMV intro
  • Flick to five minutes in, intro still playing
  • Flick to ten minutes in, bunch of menus
  • Flick to 20 minutes in, have hit another goddamn FMV cutscene
  • Give up and buy game blind to try it myself

• Find info about an interesting PS1/Saturn/Dreamcast/PS2/GCN game I don't know about.
  • First video turns out to be a lets play and has some moron talking 'hey what's up guys', close immediately
  • Endless FMV intro

We didn't have Youtube or Let's Plays to help us make informed decisions back in the day. All we had was EGM. You're doing it the way it's meant to be done.

Timu

• Endless FMV intro
I hope to avoid issues like that when I cover old and new games next year on youtube.

• Endless FMV intro

I wish there was some way to filter Let's Plays out of my YouTube results. They're just junk. All of them. And for some reason lately they have become the only results on the first page for every game. Having to tack on review or impressions at the end of ever YouTube search is getting annoying.

I hope to avoid issues like that when I cover old and new games next year on youtube.
What's your channel?

BTails

[*]Look it up on youtube to see some footage.
[*]First video turns out to be a lets play and has some moron talking 'hey what's up guys', close immediately

Ugh, Let's Play is the worst. The only time I'd want to talk over a video game is if I'm hanging out with one of my own buddies, not some random dude on Youtube. What's even worse are the streamers, with a camera pointed at themselves and a bunch of random shit plastered all over the game.

At least with Let's Plays, you can usually mute the video and at least see a few minutes of gameplay (sans sound).

TeaJay

I like watching live streams and even recordings of live streams, if the streamer is entertaining. But I guess it's not quite the same as a pre-recorded Let's play since there's always a level of interactivity in livestreams (except for a recording, of course).

Krikzz Kringle came.

Ukrainian stamps are pretty cool.
ipE13a5.jpg

aqFmufG.jpg

VdFV0r2.jpg

yCyqiNe.jpg

The 64 is a v3 cause I didn't want to hold reset lol. Guess I can try that original Doubutsu no Mori translation.

Peltz

I mean yes and no. That awful screen. Even fully refurbished it's a turd. Kind of funny how it was the 'premium' over the GB back in the day and had ads about how much better it was, but a DMG is still totally playable as-is right now.

Even with the screen taken out of the equation, it's kind of dinky. Like its mostly the worst of the Mark III/Master System. Mostly worse M3 ports (zoomed in, no FM). Even the highlight exclusives (the Sonic games, GG Shinobis, Aleste, Ax Battler) are pretty scabby, like they're mid tier MS/M3 games at best.

Comparing to VB is interesting. Not really directly comparable. Small library on VB, and the hardware can be a real pain (literally). But many games are very playable. I love a bit of Galactic Pinball, Mario Clash, Vertical Force, Red Alarm, great arcade fun. And Wario is legit awesome, the best one outside of the Wii game IMO.

I play VB lying down, no stand. Works great that way for me.

I own 3 VB's. All have busted graphics. But I enjoyed the super-limited library while they lasted. It had a quality launch. Jack Bros and Bound High are another two quality titles for the system.

dubc35

Krikzz Kringle came.

Ukrainian stamps are pretty cool.

The 64 is a v3 cause I didn't want to hold reset lol. Guess I can try that original Doubutsu no Mori translation.

Nice! My N8 came a couple days ago but no sign of the SD2SNES yet; still 'in transit to destination.'

NDPsycho

Portable Streets of Rage would like a word with you.

Are any of the master system "ports" on the Gamegear worth it at all? Thought they all had the shrunken screen space. I remember being amazed at the sonic games actually being playable when I tried the master system versions.

Ugh, Let's Play is the worst. The only time I'd want to talk over a video game is if I'm hanging out with one of my own buddies, not some random dude on Youtube. What's even worse are the streamers, with a camera pointed at themselves and a bunch of random shit plastered all over the game.

At least with Let's Plays, you can usually mute the video and at least see a few minutes of gameplay (sans sound).
I see you haven't watched many streams or let's plays.

Glowsquid

Thinking about playing Streets of Rage 2 this weekend. Help me not suck. I always flame out on the elevator to the last boss.

I'm no expert, but this is what I can tell you.

-When you're thrown by an enemy, holding UP+jump will make you land on your feets with no damage. This applies to all SOR games.

-The downward stab attack (Done by jumping and holding down+attack, I don't know what to call it) is invaluable. It doesn't do a lot of damage, but when it connects, it stun enemies, leaving them up to a FF attack or a grapple. (Incidentally this applies to a lot of beat em ups, not just SOR)

-The standard punch punch punch combo for all the characters pretty much sucks. It's slow and doesn't do a lot of damage. What it does, stunning an enemy with a single punch and following it up with a FF attack or a downward stab + grapple almost always do better. Hell, Axel's kick attack (done by holding the punch button) does almost as much as his regular combo string.

-When you,re grabbed from behind or being comboed by an enemy, it's alway better to just do the standing desesperation attack rather than just taking the hit.

-There are a few hidden 1ups
--Stage 1: Right at the start behind the mailbox
--Stage 2: At the top left of the screen ,right after you exit the truck
--Stage 3: Behind one of the rocks on the screen where you fight the alien attraction.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can win this time.

Is Final Fight easier? I used to always be able to beat that as a kid but when I played the X68000 version recently I got a game over on the last boss. I figure it has to do with it having an extra stage (the boss in the Industrial Area just destroys me) and more enemies on screen at a time.

Timu

I do let's plays differently as I rely on text instead of voice. I don't do many though, but with the upcoming reviews that are also a mix mash match of playthroughs and let's play, it can be more common for me to do, but the review section has to be done while playing the game!

RAIDEN1

News is, that the maker of the Ecco series for the Megadrive/Master-system/Dreamcast etc...has settled his dispute with Sega, so that may give renewed hope for an Ecco the Dolphin re-boot!!...

IrishNinja

jesus christ, stone age gamer: I don't need 6 emails about a single item I purchased, and a 7th on the way - just one receipt, one "it shipped!" with a tracking # and you're done. you'd think we're going steady now.

dock

Anyone in the UK get their Black Friday Everdrives from Krikkz yet?
My PC Engine everdrive shipped 11 days ago but there's no sign of it yet.

system11

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can win this time.

Is Final Fight easier? I used to always be able to beat that as a kid but when I played the X68000 version recently I got a game over on the last boss. I figure it has to do with it having an extra stage (the boss in the Industrial Area just destroys me) and more enemies on screen at a time.

Final Fight is a much harder game, generally. The closer it is to the arcade rev the harder it will be. There's a trick you can use to make it a lot easier though, punch twice, quickly turn around and back again, rinse and repeat. Stun locks everything in the game, including most bosses. It's quite difficult to do consistently though without a lot of practise, I often drop it and then take damage, but check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVNIf3Sp9UU

Laws00

Man I really need to stop buying these damn retro gamer magazines.

I swear everytime I look at these things I see I just have to get them..... :(

Ugh

I need to start getting these HG101 Presents books instead.

Taito Arcade Classics

Data East Arcade Classics

The Guide to Shoot-em-Ups: Vol. 1

i'm looking at you.

When I was unemployed/broke I got me a Sega Arcade Classics Vol. 1 orginal 2012 black and white. didn't know its worth something lol

Damn that cover looks sooo good to me

Final Fight is a much harder game, generally. The closer it is to the arcade rev the harder it will be. There's a trick you can use to make it a lot easier though, punch twice, quickly turn around and back again, rinse and repeat. Stun locks everything in the game, including most bosses. It's quite difficult to do consistently though without a lot of practise, I often drop it and then take damage, but check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVNIf3Sp9UU

Maybe I'm just more used to Final Fight since I tend to have an easier time except for certain parts. Thanks

dubc35

FINALLY got them in from the black friday sale,just in time for the long weekend! (i should have bought the X7,argh)

http://i.imgur.com/39Hwffdl.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Nice! My N8 got here Tuesday. My SD2SNES is out for delivery now! ...waits impatiently...

*edit, and it's here!

Top Bottom