• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

I don't use my famicom top loader all that much, but that adapter works fine for me when I do. It feels a bit flimsy, and can be hard to get the nes game to separate. When switching games, I always try to pull out the adaptor and game together, and then pull them apart. It feels dangerous to try and do so when the adapter is still in the system.

But the price can't be beat, and I had a lot of trouble finding another one.

Curious as to why you went with a North American toploader? To me, they are the weakest link in the NES/Famicom line unless you plan on modding anyway.

P.S. Anyone have any trouble with these adapters? I want to use this to play NES games on my Famicom AV after it gets modded. It looks pretty standard but I just wanted to run it by you guys first. It looks like I won't need to put games in backwards with this which is nice.

Curious as to why you went with a North American toploader? To me, they are the weakest link in the NES/Famicom line unless you plan on modding anyway.

P.S. Anyone have any trouble with these adapters? I want to use this to play NES games on my Famicom AV after it gets modded. It looks pretty standard but I just wanted to run it by you guys first. It looks like I won't need to put games in backwards with this which is nice.

I've got one of those and they work with a big majority of NES games. I think the only thing I've thrown at it that it didn't work with was Dr Mario, but that Dr Mario cart may have also been corrupted I'm not sure.

i randomly saw the top loader while getting dinner and picked it up. was curious bc never had one as a kid. my front loader was always breaking growing up so i didn't want another one. most likely going to mod it in the future but it's pretty pricey.

No idea of guides, they're probably out of date. You'll still need Lego Batman or something.

You need a USB loader and that's it really once you're hacked. They can rip them right from the UI.
I've got homebrew channel and stuff installed. Apparently nintendon't actually works on a normal wii, not just vwii so I'll just use that and a usb loader. easier than it seemed initially.

D.Lo

I've got homebrew channel and stuff installed. Apparently nintendon't actually works on a normal wii, not just vwii so I'll just use that and a usb loader. easier than it seemed initially.
You don't need Nintendon't on a normal Wii though, it natively plays GCN and of course Wii games? Nintendon't was only needed for WU to play GCN.

I have preloader set to boot straight to CFG loader on my Wii, straight to the cover flow.

Timu

You don't need Nintendon't on a normal Wii though, it natively plays GCN and of course Wii games? Nintendon't was only needed for WU to play GCN.

I have preloader set to boot straight to CFG loader on my Wii, straight to the cover flow.
Well, it's a requirement if you want to play Gamecube games on an USB or SD card and want to store all those games on there.

D.Lo

Well, it's a requirement if you want to play Gamecube games on an USB or SD card and want to store all those games on there.
Nope, I have no Nintendon't on my Wii and it played GCN games from the loader as soon as it was supported. The loaders supported GCN from USB natively well before Nintendon't arrived.

Nope, I have no Nintendon't on my Wii and it played GCN games from the loader as soon as it was supported. The loaders supported GCN from USB natively well before Nintendon't arrived.
My impression is this is because the USB loaders integrated software that allowed one to load GCN games. Nintendont seems ot have higher compatibility even on a normal wii

D.Lo

My impression is this is because the USB loaders integrated software that allowed one to load GCN games. Nintendont seems ot have higher compatibility even on a normal wii
Yep that's correct, but not Nintendon't itself. And there have never been any compatibility issues with a BC Wii, only later non-BC Wiis.

Nintendon't was only necessary because you couldn't hack certain parts of later Wiis and vWii like you could on the first 50+ million Wii systems (the ones with GCN ports). It's needed only for Wiis with no GCN ports or Wii U.

Yep that's correct, but not Nintendon't itself. And there have never been any compatibility issues with a BC Wii, only later non-BC Wiis.

Nintendon't was only necessary because you couldn't hack certain parts of later Wiis and vWii like you could on the first 50+ million Wii systems (the ones with GCN ports). It's needed only for Wiis with no GCN ports or Wii U.
I see. My cable comes tomorrow so hopefully i'll have it sorted.

Is there a compression tool/format you recommend for GCN and Wii?

D.Lo

Hmm I could probably do that now too. Might be able to fit it all into a 128GB, especially if compression is an option.

Same with Wii U, I really need to get the games ripped and a big SD.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I own this, and its not great imo as it is a bit unstable. Still works fine, and it is at least very affordable, so i would all in all get it - just not expect anything special from it. Gets the job done though. By the way, i didnt get it to work with Castlevania 3, but that is seemingly a common problem with that game played on Famicom.

IJGtPr4.jpg

I am making great life decisions.

koopas

That's something I need more of.
Say goodbye to all of your money all of it.

Seriously though its got to be my favourite system to collect for right now. There are just so many gems that are still exclusive to this console (especially on the Japanese side)

I remember this thing! The edges were led lit if I remember correctly. This came out at the start of what some would call the Retro resurgence that started (and hasn't really slowed down since then).

The buttons are lit and the madcatz logo is when in analog mode.

I had this same controller when I was younger but it broke. I was looking for new PS2 controllers recently and it seems that the NIB supply for cheap has mostly dried up so when I saw this I was like "uhhhh.... yes."

The buttons are lit and the madcatz logo is when in analog mode.

I had this same controller when I was younger but it broke. I was looking for new PS2 controllers recently and it seems that the NIB supply for cheap has mostly dried up so when I saw this I was like "uhhhh.... yes."
PS2 controller situation is getting kinda nasty. Hoping someone starts mass producing bluetooth adapters.

brainpann

Heads up! If anyone is in the Washington DC metro area-there is a really nice 32+ inch (not exactly sure but its big) Trinitron flat tube at a goodwill in Arlington. It has component in and comeswith a remote. I dont know what these are going for cutrently but they want 100 for it. I dont need another TV but might be good for someone else.

Edit-the goodwill on Glebe road.

brainpann

I will be given the choice to stay in Chicago or get transferred to NOVA in the next couple months and shit there looks expensive. It's definitely making me lean towards staying here.

Yeah-everything here is expensive AF. I rarely purchase anything off of CL because of it. I think the Goodwills in the area are allowed to set there own prices too because the Goodwill closest to me is pretty reasonable...but they wont carry crts.

brainpann

Since I'm here today, I guess Ill show my gaming setup/guest room/ office. I still need to organize some stuff and take care of the visible wires but considering how little space I had to work with, I think everything came out ok.

Most of my games.

All of the older systems are connected to a couple of Bandridge Scart Switches. From there they go the the pvm and and XRGB mini. I can play games on both TV's if needed. On the top left side of the pic above the pvm, there is a commodore 64 on the right side, followed by a Fairchild Channel F that needs some work. Hopefully Ill get to it in the next few days. Next is a Famicom + Disk System, Power Glove, and a 1st model Xbox 360...that still works!

It might he hard to see but there is a 3D0 FZ10 under the Dreamcast. This is also where I keep my handhelds.

When I want to play games on the projector, I switch the XRGB mini to DVI mode. A powered splitter lets me send signal to the projector and the TV. The projector only accepts 800x600 with a 15 pin adapter and works fine using an HDMI to VGA adapter.

Bamboo

Since I'm here today, I guess Ill show my gaming setup/guest room/ office. I still need to organize some stuff and take care of the visible wires but considering how little space I had to work with, I think everything came out ok.

Most of my games.

All of the older systems are connected to a couple of Bandridge Scart Switches. From there they go the the pvm and and XRGB mini. I can play games on both TV's if needed. On the top left side of the pic above the pvm, there is a commodore 64 on the right side, followed by a Fairchild Channel F that needs some work. Hopefully Ill get to it in the next few days. Next is a Famicom + Disk System, Power Glove, and a 1st model Xbox 360...that still works!

It might he hard to see but there is a 3D0 FZ10 under the Dreamcast. This is also where I keep my handhelds.

When I want to play games on the projector, I switch the XRGB mini to DVI mode. A powered splitter lets me send signal to the projector and the TV. The projector only accepts 800x600 with a 15 pin adapter and works fine using an HDMI to VGA adapter.
I wanna be your guest
and never leave the room

My Bomberman setup is well on it's way to completion. There are still some steps/surprises for it. I'm hoping the final setup will be a bit more special than just a bunch of controllers plugged into the consoles multi-taps

This was my haul for mid Jan till today in terms of Retro gaming.(2 of the 8 saturn controllers in the pic I already owned prior to the pickups)

My Bomberman setup is well on it's way to completion. There are still some steps/surprises for it. I'm hoping the final setup will be a bit more special than just a bunch of controllers plugged into the consoles multi-taps

This was my haul for mid Jan till today in terms of Retro gaming.(2 of the 8 saturn controllers in the pic I already owned prior to the pickups)

wow you're rich! that must be an expensive haul =)

Cool haul. Did you get it all in Japan or are you ordering them online?

Bro Japanese stuff is so cheap.

The N64 stuff is probably under $50 total, maybe a bit more depending on box condition.

Saturn controllers are around $10 a pop in good condition. Heavily yellowed ones are less.

The multi-tap is a bit pricey but nothing too crazy.

I'm not even going to guess what the Panzer Dragoon item is worth since I know nothing about that series!

How is Super Famicom Cotton? I didn't know such a thing existed. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out when I go back to Japan.

What's Panzer Dragoon Story?

The N64 stuff is probably under $50 total, maybe a bit more depending on box condition.

Saturn controllers are around $10 a pop in good condition. Heavily yellowed ones are less.

I'm not even going to guess what the Panzer Dragoon item is worth since I know nothing about that series!
oh i need to get in on this stuff! time to get into imports =)

No no no, I'm not rich at all, just very good at hunting for deals and lucky with bidding. The N64 and saturn games were dirt cheap. I sniped them on some ebay auctions. The only ones I paid a bit more for were Smash64 and SaturnBomberman. Shipping costs to Canada is what was the brunt of the costs were for the N64/Saturn stuff

-Yup Smash was the outlier and just under 25 CDN iirc but the rest of the N64 else totalled to under $50 USD
-Saturn controllers were all around $10 as well. I plan on taking them apart and cleaning them up and spraypainting them all to either 1 or 2 colors. The multi-tap was the most expensive thing out of everything I bought for sure. I want to look more carefully for a deal on the second one as I realize I don't really need one in good shape as I will be gutting it anyways
-Not worth much at all. Panzer Dragoon Saga is the rare one that I have no hope of ever getting

What's Panzer Dragoon Story?
Panzer Dragoon 1

brainpann

Looks so awesome! There's one Genesis game box that just says "Mega Drive" on it. What game is that? Usually PAL games have their name printed on the side so maybe it's not an original box?

It's actually a repro of Panorama Cotton. I printed that label for it so that it would not be mistaken for a legit copy. Not that anyone would. It is a really really cheaply made repro.

How is Super Famicom Cotton? I didn't know such a thing existed. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out when I go back to Japan.

It's good if not a bit easy at times. Its tone is also lighter than the original with brighter colors. It was also ported to the Playstation.

MMMM...those saturn controllers. I don't know what it is about them but I could look at them all day!

Peltz

Most of my games.

Very nice setup. What kind of projector are you using? Any lag? That's a very good use of the Framemeister in my humble opinion. Much more interesting than hooking it up to an HDTV.

Also, what kind of shelves are those that house all you consoles? I like how each has its own box.

Also, do you ever get scared to reach for an SNES game at the bottom of your stack? Looks like removing the right game can be a very precarious thing.

$100?

WTF???

It's amazing how much the CRT-game has changed in the last 2 years. People seemed to suddenly realize that they're actually worth something to gamers.

Panzer Dragoon 1

Ah, okay. I was hoping it was something we didn't get here.

It's actually a repro of Panorama Cotton. I printed that label for it so that it would not be mistaken for a legit copy. Not that anyone would. It is a really really cheaply made repro.

It's good if not a bit easy at times. Its tone is also lighter than the original with brighter colors. It was also ported to the Playstation.

Nice. There's something great about the Cotton series. I love it. Too bad they're all so expensive. I don't pay a lot of attention to Super Famicom and even less to Playstation so no wonder I had never heard of it. Panorama Cotton is a wonder to me. I'd love to get my hands on a copy but I'm saving money right now so I doubt I'll ever be able to play it through legitimate means.

brainpann

Very nice setup. What kind of projector are you using? Any lag?

Thanks! It's a CTX EZPRO that I picked up for super cheap years ago. It still uses lamp bulbs but they're only about $3.00 a piece on Amazon. The lag is only slightly better than the LCD tv through the XRGB. It will accept rgb natively so maybe the lag might be different if I run my consoles directly to it.

1Also, what kind of shelves are those that house all you consoles? I like how each has its own box.
They are ikea expedit shelves but they go by another name now. They're great for holding consoles but TBH, these are a bit too large for this room. I used these in my old apartment and didnt want to spend more money on shelving. Either way, I made them work.

Also, do you ever get scared to reach for an SNES game at the bottom of your stack? Looks like removing the right game can be a very precarious thing.

Not so much with the SNES games. They kinda just fall back in place. However, the Super Famicom games are a huge pain, often tilt over if I'm not careful, are a pain to find, etc. I'll find a better solution for them eventually.

Olly88

Anyone got any recommendations for sites that sell retro games? Would be cool to build a big list of sites that do.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Congrats David! Never heard about Star Soldier for Nes, you need to give report on that when you get around to play it. Love all your recent pickups :)

-KRS-

Star Soldier, and Star Force as well, are pretty legit good shooters. They're of the old style though, so they don't have tons of powerups and such but they play really well. Star Soldier has this sorta interesting mechanic that lets you move underneath the ground to avoid enemies.

There's also Starship Hector/Hector '87 sorta in the same series but I didn't like that one as much.

Top Bottom