• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Timu

Happy bday Timu! Any retro goodness incoming, to celebrate? :)
Yep, I'll try to get more retro games and do some absurd feats of beating tough games with no continues!

You're not. You're a year younger :)

I'll be 30 March 5th. I'm grabbing a Nintendo Switch to celebrate.
Ok, fair enough! Also that's a great way to celebrate, with a new console!

Happy Birthday you youngin!
Lol, thanks man.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I feel so old now.. (will be 40 this year... but hey, at least I got to experience the SMS, MD, SFC, PCE-CD, NG and Amiga as they unfolded!!!)
Don't worry, I'm not far behind you.

I remember when I was 4 or 5 being allowed to choose a new game for the first time and my dad convinced me to get Pelé's Soccer for the 2600.

xLFD56w.png

Thanks dad. :(

Frogger II was my second game ever and that was much better.

IrishNinja

HBD timu!

I feel so old now.. (will be 40 this year... but hey, at least I got to experience the SMS, MD, SFC, PCE-CD, NG and Amiga as they unfolded!!!)

yeah, i'm late 30's and atari was my brother's generation, SMS was my first and it's been an awesome ride since!

fuck i wish sega still made consoles

Yeah I just turned 38 in November. In a lot of ways getting old sucks, but since gaming is my biggest hobby, and has been my whole life, its interesting having grown up with the industry. My parents have a photo of me (or well they did my mom can't find it now otherwise I would scan it in) as like a 2 or 3 year old with a baby bottle in one hand and an atari controller in the other.

Timu

Damn dude!

HBD timu!

yeah, i'm late 30's and atari was my brother's generation, SMS was my first and it's been an awesome ride since!

fuck i wish sega still made consoles
Thank you, and I agree,
Sega really should still be making consoles

IrishNinja

Yeah I just turned 38 in November. In a lot of ways getting old sucks, but since gaming is my biggest hobby, and has been my whole life, its interesting having grown up with the industry. My parents have a photo of me (or well they did my mom can't find it now otherwise I would scan it in) as like a 2 or 3 year old with a baby bottle in one hand and an atari controller in the other.

that's awesome man! i turned the same age this january, my brother might have a shot of me at 4 on a barstool playing pac-man coin-op, haha

i do love that in my old photo book i have a polaroid of the ending to Phantasy Star II, i was so proud!

Fularu

Banned
I have pictures of us getting our very first computer/gaming system, an MSX

We were the only fools in Paris with an MSX, everyone had either C64s, Spectrums or Amstrad CPCs.

5 years later we upgraded to a Sega Master System, an Atari 520 STF (which I later learned was single sided which made 90% of the games not work, forcing me to upgrade it like a year later) and a few months later a Game Boy.

But man was the MSX such a wonderfull piece of hardware

IrishNinja

see i've read enough retro gamer to appreciate amiga & the EU stuff, but i'm really happy with what we had on this side of the pond (even if my precious SMS was dead in the water...)

but MSX? legit jelly at anyone growing up with that thing!

that's awesome man! i turned the same age this january, my brother might have a shot of me at 4 on a barstool playing pac-man coin-op, haha

i do love that in my old photo book i have a polaroid of the ending to Phantasy Star II, i was so proud!

That is awesome! and I think some where I have a VHS tape that I would record the endings of games I beat on it.

For me I'm jealous of the folks who grew up with an X68000, the sheer volume of arcade perfect ports on that thing make it a holy grail for me.

IrishNinja

oh yeah, i'dve died to see one of those. i was impressed enough when my brother left me his Atari 400, that thing had pac-man, frogger & numerous others arcade-perfect, where they ran like butt on his 2600!

Peltz

Zelda 2:AOL is a surprisingly great game. I just manage to beat the first dungeon and get the candle. I really dig it.

It has that perfect NES-style difficulty balance where nearly every enemy appears hard until you figure out the best way to handle each one - then it gets easy.

entremet

Zelda 2:AOL is a surprisingly great game. I just manage to beat the first dungeon and get the candle. I really dig it.

It has that perfect NES-style difficulty balance where nearly every enemy appears hard until you figure out the best way to handle each one - then it gets easy.

It's amazing. I loved it as a kid. More than Zelda 1 since it had better action.

I finally beat last year on the VC.

TheWraith

I agree with the enemy thing, but the fact that it makes you restart at the first temple every time you die is going to drive you nuts, plus the game also suffers from way too dense quest-solving in order to get ahead without a guide. This is one of those games were save states (used fairly) make the game finally enjoyable to me.

Finally beat Ys Ark of Napishtim today, it was an ok game overall but easily the weakest of the Ys series. Between having some of the worst platforming in gaming ever, and terrible hit detection the game introduced me to new levels of frustration. The story was alright, but I don't think I'll ever replay this one, compared to literally every other game in the series that I want to replay right now. First things first onto Ys VII.

televator

Finally beat Ys Ark of Napishtim today, it was an ok game overall but easily the weakest of the Ys series. Between having some of the worst platforming in gaming ever, and terrible hit detection the game introduced me to new levels of frustration. The story was alright, but I don't think I'll ever replay this one, compared to literally every other game in the series that I want to replay right now. First things first onto Ys VII.

What port of the game was this?

PS2 version, I've heard the PC version actually lets you use the Wings of Alma to warp to different points, that would have been nice in the PS2 one.

televator

PS2 version, I've heard the PC version actually lets you use the Wings of Alma to warp to different points, that would have been nice in the PS2 one.

I played a good chunk of the Steam version and I can confirm that you can warp with the wings. Seemed good up to where I played it. I just kinda got burnt out on Ys and stopped playing it for a bit. lol

Peltz

I agree with the enemy thing, but the fact that it makes you restart at the first temple every time you die is going to drive you nuts, plus the game also suffers from way too dense quest-solving in order to get ahead without a guide. This is one of those games were save states (used fairly) make the game finally enjoyable to me.

Yea that's a bit annoying. I'd rather the game just dumped all my extra EXP for every death than give me 3 lives but force me to restart geographically every time. The geographical restart is one of those old school mechanics that would never be in a game today.

(P.S. if there is a warp method/whistle in this game, don't spoil it for me... I prefer to attempt an entirely blind run).

I played a good chunk of the Steam version and I can confirm that you can warp with the wings. Seemed good up to where I played it. I just kinda got burnt out on Ys and stopped playing it for a bit. lol

The first couple of hours aren't so bad, then the ridiculous super maze like sections, the really inaccurate platforming requiring insanely precise jumps, and terrible hit detection on enemies starts to rear it's ugly head. I can't imagine the platforming being much better, but maybe the hit detection is.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Guys, I'm 29 years old today, and I still need to pick up more Saturn games as one of my new years resolutions! I did get 50 bucks so that helps!

I know Im a few days late, but hope you had a nice birthday Timu!

Olly88

Hey retroGAF,
after hunting for a half year and returning a bad ebay copy i finally landed a CIB Ghouls N Ghost without giving up an arm and leg. very happy today =)

Cool. I got a copy just over a year ago and enjoyed it a lot, actually completed it on my first go. I prefer Super Ghouls n Ghosts, but they're different enough that makes it worth having both.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
After really anticipating Resident Evil 7 for quite a while and even preordering it, I've barely touched it because I've been catching up on great games on systems I either neglected or outright didn't own in my youth.

Earlier this week I beat my fist SMS game; Master of Darkness! It was a really fun experience. Just tonight I beat my first TG16 game; Splatterhouse. All week long I've been bugging my girlfriend and finally my kids and their friend who was spending the weekend with us to watch my recordings (I'm making vids for my Youtube/ Twitch).

My girlfriend can't even pretend to give a fuck, but my kids (Who are strangely into retro games a bit), thought it was really cool
what happened to Rick's girlfriend in Splatterhouse. For my part, I thought that scene was rad as hell.

Splatterhouse for the PCE/TG16 may be one of the best examples of perfect difficulty for me. Now, I suck at games irrespective of my love for them so I died a ton, however, the levels are short and once you get the hang of the patterns I thought the game was very fair. Some of the bosses are unforgettable. I seriously want to
remodel my living room like the Poltergeist room boss.

https://goo.gl/ZsAhmV - My vid. Everything is spoiled.
Too bad the terrific, stupid story isn't in the TG16 version lol

Peltz

Why not? The game was pretty much complete prior to it's cancellation. Not curious? :p

It was heavily encrypted and not playable prior to a day ago (unless you went to the only known functioning arcade board at Galloping Ghost).

There was only one arcade board functioning in the entire planet? WHAT?!

Edit: Just read up on it.. apparently so. Wow.

entremet

Arcade piracy was actually very huge. So the big arcades players started adding encryption to their boads.

Capcom knows this full well with SF2. So did SNK.

It's why they added greater encryption to CPS3. At the same time the kill switches in them was kinda dumb, although you can remove them.

Most arcade games use EPROMs. Usually they are just slotted in too so it's really easy to pop chips in and out.

All you need is a UV light and a cheap EPROM writer to put new game code on it. Developers were in a tough place where it was cheaper to program a game using consistent hardware (such as the Sega System 16 board) but financially risky because of how easy it was to pirate things. That's why games did things like have ever-so-slight hardware variations or use a form of encryption (System 16 did both).

KC-Slater

Thank goodness. It was probably light beer in that case.

Isn't all American beer light? ;)

Oh damn, big firmware update for the OSSC

Firmware v0.76 is finally out now:

* Line4x and Line5x implemented
* 960i and 1080i support added
* Dedicated line multiplication settings for each mode group
* Passthru option added for all mode groups
* 4:3 / 8:7 aspect selection for 256×240 mode
* Overlay mask placement fixed
* Mask brightness control added
* Fixed phase shift issue on optimized modes
* Increased IR receiver tolerance

Whoa, this is the motherload!

Peltz

Isn't all American beer light? ;)

Don't confuse Budweiser and Yuengling for real American beer. We have thousands incredible craft breweries all over that you've likely never heard of. It ranges from the lightest ales to the darkest lagers you will ever see (seriously some of them make Guinness look like water).

The real shit will garble arcade cabinet graphics and your speech with just one glass.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Don't confuse Budweiser and Yuengling for real American beer. We have thousands incredible craft breweries all over that you've likely never heard of. It ranges from the lightest ales to the darkest lagers you will ever see (seriously some of them make Guinness look like water).

The real shit will garble arcade cabinet graphics and your speech with just one glass.

Yeah, the craft beer scene might literally be the only thing I like about living in Seattle. Frankly, I don't think any other beer compares.

Galdelico

x4 is working just fine, still tweaking monitor/ossc settings on x5, but results are looking promising, I wouldn't take these as being truly accurate representations of just how good everything looks, but here are some off screen photos taken with my phone.

Looks great!
Weird enough, LineX5 works on my monitor too, and the IQ is perfect, but it's like... Too big? The frame gets cropped on 3 sides of the screen out of 4... I wonder why, since it's a 4K display and should be able to handle it no problem.

Espo83

Is it the 5x output?

Line5x format
Selects the output format of line5x.
1920x1080: 1080-line output, which crops a few active lines from top and bottom of incoming video signal. [default]
1600x1200: 1200-line output that displays all active lines of incoming video signal.
1920x1200: 1200-line output that displays all active lines of incoming video signal.

looks like if you keep it on the default is is going to crop the signal.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, after all these damned years my Youtube channel has really gotten me to play a ton of stuff I've been dying to try.

Earlier this week I beat Splatterhouse on the TG-16, a goal of mine for decades! Last night? I beat TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist! I fucking LOOOOVE TMNT The Arcade Game and Turtles in Time, and I realized that the only reason I hadn't played this was I was too lazy of a kid to fucking turn my Genesis on over my SNES.

No more, guys. I beat it over the span of a day, which is something I NEVER do. Such great times I'm not even playing new games I've bought. If you ever find yourself wanting to hit up your retro backlog, I humbly suggest starting a Youtube channel and documenting it. It's such a good time and you start to feel an obligation towards your viewers to go deeper in.

It's been a great few weeks! Next, I wanna do the arcade version of my favorite beat 'em up for the SNES, Knights of the Round. I'm also considering
Motherfucking Conquest of Camelot!

Top Bottom