• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Peltz

Congrats David! Never heard about Star Soldier for Nes, you need to give report on that when you get around to play it. Love all your recent pickups :)

Agreed, David has been picking up some seriously good shit over the past few months.

Congrats David! Never heard about Star Soldier for Nes, you need to give report on that when you get around to play it. Love all your recent pickups :)
thanks Morfeo! was playing same Zanac last night=) i know i promosed some impressions of ps1 games a but back but i will play Star Soldier today since everything is already hooked up and give some impressions.

Star Soldier, and Star Force as well, are pretty legit good shooters. They're of the old style though, so they don't have tons of powerups and such but they play really well. Star Soldier has this sorta interesting mechanic that lets you move underneath the ground to avoid enemies.

There's also Starship Hector/Hector '87 sorta in the same series but I didn't like that one as much.
i played a bit of star force growing up and thought it was cool but this is going to be my first time playing star soldier. pretty excited.

Agreed, David has been picking up some seriously good shit over the past few months.
thanks Peltz, and i also appreciate you sending me the links to the nes RGB parts. did you send your in to get modded yet =)

Ahh-ok. I guess Ive never seen the label. Thanks
i never noticed growing up but it seems like section Z, mega man 1 had the same label backgrounds.

Update:
i played some Star Soldier this afternoon. it's not Zanac but it's pretty fun. like KRS mentioned there's areas you can go underneath and be shielded from enemies. when you get hit, you lose power ups similar to blazing lasers. definitely a bit challenging.
i don't have it hooked up to my BVM (waiting for RGB mod in the future) so it looks crappy on the plasma without a framemeister:
v6DXHtgh.jpg

fNJF5N7h.jpg

iGq3DZdh.jpg

ZxGmVRFh.jpg

StevieWhite

Guys, I just wanted to share a very positive experience I had with Behar Bros. -

So about a year and a half ago I bought a Toro. Worked great, no problems - a few weeks back, the cable that connects the Toro to the DC broke. Knowing my warranty period had long passed, I shot them an e-mail asking if it would be possible to just purchase a new cable, not a whole new box.

Well, they just responded by asking for my shipping dress, and lo and behold, I got a package from Turkey with a new cable, free of charge. Talk about awesome customer service.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Indeed, we need to step up our game to get to his level! Honestly, Im selling more than buying these days. Got some huge (and expensive) Snes-lots around christmas that i need to sell a big part of before i can buy more. Sending off three games tomorrow (all duplicates) so its getting there.

thanks Morfeo! was playing same Zanac last night=) i know i promosed some impressions of ps1 games a but back but i will play Star Soldier today since everything is already hooked up and give some impressions.

Update:
i played some Star Soldier this afternoon. it's not Zanac but it's pretty fun. like KRS mentioned there's areas you can go underneath and be shielded from enemies. when you get hit, you lose power ups similar to blazing lasers. definitely a bit challenging.
i don't have it hooked up to my BVM (waiting for RGB mod in the future) so it looks crappy on the plasma without a framemeister:

Thanks for your impressions David, guess I might have to try to track down a copy eventually!

Olly88

Just finished Sonic 2 for the first time. At least I think it's the first time, I remember fighting giant Robotnik years ago, but don't think I beat him. Nice to finally beat a game I've had for years, and also a little sad in a way.

Hopefully this year I'll end up playing and completing more games.

Jer

Picked up Run Saber for SNES a few days ago, never heard of it but decided to pick it up because I doubt I'd see it again soon. Pretty fun game, short, but entertaining while it lasts. I really liked the music.

Jer

yeah Run Saber seemed like a fun strider clone, but it's not cheap no?

Yeah not cheap, I got it for $50. Not necessarily a good enough game that I'd recommend it for that much, but a fun few hours. I'd never played Strider, so it was a pretty new experience. Any other good SNES games with that same kind of gameplay?

You cray cray.

Then again we all are on this thread. $290 is definitely outside my price range considering the library though. I'd jump for $99 but no more than that.

I mean... it's a lot... but one package that does GG and Master System and works with a Genesis controller already in a custom case... it's pretty tempting to me. There are some really neat GameGear games.

Now that Gamegear is in the NT jailbreak, a consolized GG don't seem as appealing.

I thought about this too, actually any FPGA console going forward could have GG, but I think I still prefer original hardware to FPGA systems. Like I'll argue until I'm out of breath about how like seriously FPGA's are much better than emulation, but in the end they are at best as good as a high quality clone system. A lot of the accuracy/compatibility comes down to how well we understand the original hardware, which on more popular systems like the NES is very well but I'm not clear on where it's at for stuff like the Sega 8-bit line.

D.Lo

You cray cray.

Then again we all are on this thread. $290 is definitely outside my price range considering the library though. I'd jump for $99 but no more than that.
I'm happy with the Master System conversions of the top GG games. I do have an original unit recapped, but it sucks so bad.

BTails

Rush N Attack is a gem, played a lot of that game back in the day. Also, Ring King is one of those games that would've faded into obscurity were it not for a specific animation between rounds...

I fucking LOVE Rush N Attack, that game is so damn good. It can get hard too as a heads up.
yeah i loved it in grade school. but i don't remember if i beat it. i think it was 4 missions but will try and beat it. i was playing last night! love that music.

i found someone who did a real nice job of the ost, i swear it sounds like it came out of a movie.
Orchestrated Vol 8- Rush N' Attack - NES

Rush N Attack is a gem, played a lot of that game back in the day. Also, Ring King is one of those games that would've faded into obscurity were it not for a specific animation between rounds...
damn... Ring King is hard, i always saw it in the arcade but prefered punch out.

i got killed last night and need a guide.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I already have a 3-in-1 for the Mega Drive Tower of Doom, and a 2-1 for the Famicom/FDS. But would this allow me to reduce the psu-numbers even more? Like having both of those, and the Snes, linked up with the same psu? If so, that does seem appealing, as my retro setup now have 21 psu's hooked up with tons of cabling, and i am always looking to reduce the clutter.

Timu

Guys, I'm 29 years old today, and I still need to pick up more Saturn games as one of my new years resolutions! I did get 50 bucks so that helps!

I have that stick, purchased for 10$ back in 2002 on clearance in a store who was trying to get rid of its Saturn stock.

I love it

I have two, one needs a new spring, the other has an A button that sticks. I'll get around to having them fixed some day.

I wish there were more options for SS sticks that weren't garbage.

RetroGAF,

I have been buying more used stuff from Canada lately. People here are fucking filthy. I'm used to getting Japanese used stuff, which even when it's dirty would be immaculate compared to the stuff I've been getting in "very good" shape here.

So. Anyone got some cleaning tips?

So far I've been using a partial alcohol all purpose cleaning eco-spray for most of my game/hardware cleaning (it contains some other stuff), and switch to 95% isopropyl for serious cleaning (mostly fucking stickers, which I avoid as much as possible but... ugh). I wipe with a LOT of paper towel until the surface comes away clean and feels smooth, getting into any nooks and crannys. For manuals I apply the spray to a paper towel, leaving part of it dry, and wipe to get the exterior at least somewhat cleaned.

This usually works well. I've done the same process on all my JP games, controllers, and systems but I swear it seems to take like 3 times as long for the typical stuff I'm buying here.

Are there any shortcuts I'm missing?

Anyone know a reliable MGB modder currently taking commissions?

@Sheepy, I've done a fair amount of catridge cleaning and if there's anything that serves as an all encompassing rule: time is the best cure. You just have to meticulously scrub for fucking ages. No shortcuts that don't have other issues (stains, removes plastic, etc.) that I am aware of beyond what you've said yourself.

RetroGAF,

I have been buying more used stuff from Canada lately. People here are fucking filthy. I'm used to getting Japanese used stuff, which even when it's dirty would be immaculate compared to the stuff I've been getting in "very good" shape here.

So far I've been using a partial alcohol all purpose cleaning eco-spray for most of my game/hardware cleaning (it contains some other stuff), and switch to 95% isopropyl for serious cleaning (mostly fucking stickers, which I avoid as much as possible but... ugh). I wipe with a LOT of paper towel until the surface comes away clean and feels smooth, getting into any nooks and crannys. For manuals I apply the spray to a paper towel, leaving part of it dry, and wipe to get the exterior at least somewhat cleaned.

This usually works well. I've done the same process on all my JP games, controllers, and systems but I swear it seems to take like 3 times a long for the typical stuff I'm buying here.

You clearly haven't dived into the rabbit hole of Yahoo Auctions.

You clearly haven't dived into the rabbit hole of Yahoo Auctions.

No, I haven't.

Stuff from the junk bins at hard off is as bad as I've gone. And yes those were filthy, but everything I got from there were also like a dollar each, including some hard to find stuff.

I paid $23 with shipping for an Xbox game recently that was "Very Good" condition and came with the residue of 4 EBGames stickers and a layer of filth over everything.

RetroGAF,

This usually works well. I've done the same process on all my JP games, controllers, and systems but I swear it seems to take like 3 times a long for the typical stuff I'm buying here.

don't have much to add but i hate when carts smell like smoke...

Top Bottom