• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

dubc35

Must've scrolled past this earlier. He did respond after several emails, but I'm holding off on the mod for now until I decide I really want it. I'm sort of attached to my NES systems right now and am feeling a bit conflicted about modifying any of them.

No worries, thanks for the reply!

On a different note, I finally got and installed a wall mount that let's me rotate my tv screen into portrait mode for some tate action.

33303054892_1be9410dd3_h.jpg

Wow. Everytime I think I am done wanting to purchase stuff for my office. GAF goes and posts good ideas.

Yea, I bought a few games from some gaffers recently, but other than that, I'm kinda eh on collecting. I have most of what I want. SNES is almost done, aside from a few mid tier games. Genesis still has the most that I want, but the prices haven't gotten too crazy yet.

Crash in what way? People have been saying this for years now haha.

In fact, in the SNES collectors thread, people were hoping the bubble would pop soon and that was over four years ago!

It is interesting though, how certain games haven't changed much in price over the years. Chrono Trigger keeps going up, while Final Fantasy II and III have always been relatively the same. While other certain big games peaked a year ago or two ago and are on a slight down turn.

I don't know entirely, you see things like baseball cards that eventually crashed. I think it's more the % of appreciation. Are these games really worth 2-3x what people thought they were worth 2 years ago? Is that a sustainable price that will only see further growth as time goes on? It could be, I just wonder with so many people flooding the market if it's actually real sustainable demand or if it will pull back from recent highs.

Laws00

I see the amount of people collecting say.... the SNES, dropping, but not the prices. If I had to put a percentage on the amount of people that are actually playing these games, it would be 10%. The rest are shelving and hoarding for profit.

This is ridiculous

and so is this

Sadly, this is a retirement fund for some.

That's something else.........wow

Watch those Earth Bound carts be reproductions though

Teknoman

I've definitely cooled off collecting as well, but now I get time to enjoy my stuff so it works out, lol.

Yeah I dont think i've bought a new retro game in awhile. Well Far East of Eden Zero on SFC because of the upcoming patch, but thats about it.

Now its time (when I have time) to play more.

NDPsycho

I don't know entirely, you see things like baseball cards that eventually crashed. I think it's more the % of appreciation. Are these games really worth 2-3x what people thought they were worth 2 years ago? Is that a sustainable price that will only see further growth as time goes on? It could be, I just wonder with so many people flooding the market if it's actually real sustainable demand or if it will pull back from recent highs.

People often point to the Comic and Baseball card crashes, but I don't think either of those were a complete crash. I've been a lifelong comic collector, and what crashed was the glut of mass produced comics in the 90's, because supply far out paced demand. The actual collectible comics of the 70's and prior kept their value and have increased in price since. Rare games will continue to be rare and as long as there are any collectors looking for them, they will continue to hold value. I think you could easily see prices dip on the more readily available titles, if retro gaming is no longer an in thing, but those hoping for a complete bubble bursting are likely kidding themselves.

People often point to the Comic and Baseball card crashes, but I don't think either of those were a complete crash. I've been a lifelong comic collector, and what crashed was the glut of mass produced comics in the 90's, because supply far out paced demand. The actual collectible comics of the 70's and prior kept their value and have increased in price since. Rare games will continue to be rare and as long as there are any collectors looking for them, they will continue to hold value. I think you could easily see prices dip on the more readily available titles, if retro gaming is no longer an in thing, but those hoping for a complete bubble bursting are likely kidding themselves.

Exactly.

Not only that, but that was when people started becoming aware of things being collectible. Lots of resellers hoarded up any of that stuff and most of them got screwed(the sports collectors that is and even comics to an extent).

Yes Boss!

Exactly.

Not only that, but that was when people started becoming aware of things being collectible. Lots of resellers hoarded up any of that stuff and most of them got screwed(the sports collectors that is and even comics to an extent).

Heady time with things like Valiant and Upper Deck. Also, keep in mind the producers of the content were just as guilty as feeding it by actively producing in ever increasing content. Old games are finite and feeding into an aging population.

Heady time with things like Valiant and Upper Deck. Also, keep in mind the producers of the content were just as guilty as feeding it by actively producing in ever increasing content. Old games are finite and feeding into an aging population.

Yep. The poster I qouted addressed all that.

Not to mention that over time, more games are destroyed/damaged each passing year. Making them even more collectible!

I think people overthink "crash", crash is just a large reduction in value. It's not saying rare games will go to zero or be worth $5 but rather a $600 panzer dragoon saga goes to $400 or something similar. No crash has completely wiped all value for something that has built up over time, and I don't know why people always assume that's what a crash is.

Collectible comics aren't worth $0 or worthless, same with baseball cards, same with x, etc.

Yep. The poster I qouted addressed all that.

Not to mention that over time, more games are destroyed/damaged each passing year. Making them even more collectible!

While correct... Games have an interesting property that if company's actually try to make VC more public friendly and put up large collections I would argue there should be a steep reduction in prices, irrespective if the quantity is decreasing. I think we saw a lot of that with PS1 games where some of the square games and such were going for relatively high amounts, especially "black label" editions and they have normalized a lot since some of them went on PSN. I'm sort of shocked Earthbound is still flying high when now you can purchase and play it for $10, I think as time goes on there will always be a niche but if they become more available that we won't see SNES games go to $500 or something. Especially some of the ones now that were just terrible games that no one cared about and are now crazy relative to what they are.

This is why I started to focus on the Wii. People are unloading and the games are cheap. Granted, I'm not grabbing everything insight, just what I want. And they don't take up a lot of space either. Bonus!!

Wii, PS3, and 360 are all very good systems to buy games for right now. PS2 and Xbox are pretty good still too.

It's weird to me that the better games on DS didn't see a huge plunge in prices but that might be down to 3DS backwards compatibility.

NDPsycho

I think people overthink "crash", crash is just a large reduction in value. It's not saying rare games will go to zero or be worth $5 but rather a $600 panzer dragoon saga goes to $400 or something similar. No crash has completely wiped all value for something that has built up over time, and I don't know why people always assume that's what a crash is.

Collectible comics aren't worth $0 or worthless, same with baseball cards, same with x, etc.

While correct... Games have an interesting property that if company's actually try to make VC more public friendly and put up large collections I would argue there should be a steep reduction in prices, irrespective if the quantity is decreasing. I think we saw a lot of that with PS1 games where some of the square games and such were going for relatively high amounts, especially "black label" editions and they have normalized a lot since some of them went on PSN. I'm sort of shocked Earthbound is still flying high when now you can purchase and play it for $10, I think as time goes on there will always be a niche but if they become more available that we won't see SNES games go to $500 or something. Especially some of the ones now that were just terrible games that no one cared about and are now crazy relative to what they are.

That's where I still disagree and what I was trying to convey. The actual collectible items that were actually collectible, did not reduce in value and have continued to increase in value. My comics from the 60's-70's have not lost value and are worth considerably more today. The reductions were not across the board and were certainly not lasting. Panzer Dragoon Saga is a tough example to use too, for a variety of reasons. No one can be sure of what the future brings, but that game has everything going for it to not lose value. It's rarish, it's good and it has never been offered elsewhere. Digital availability and re-releases hasn't been shown to be some great driving factor either (as you've pointed out). Whether that be in games or comics. Comics are collected and sold digitally or in bound collections, yet that doesn't drive down the original's values. You don't see that a lot with games either.

I think the biggest disconnect in these conversations is the perspective difference between those that play games and those that collect them and even those that do both. Collectors don't care about digital alternatives. It's not even an issue of agreeing or understanding, it's just the way it is. Gamers can think collectors are insane, collectors can think gamers just don't understand.

Again, I agree with you, that it's entirely plausible to see a reduction in the trend, I just don't agree that you'd see a reduction across the board. I personally think some games will always be desirable and can certainly increase in price, unless there is a large exodus of collectors and said collectors suddenly drop everything they own. I don't think that resellers hoarding stock are the majority, I think they're feeding a very real demand from collectors.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I finished Zelda and I'm legit sad now.

Fortunately, I skipped like... an unconscionable number of things in the game. Like, major stuff. So I'm going to go back and keep playing more.

welp! i guess i'll be getting breath of the wild for wii u. someone local wanted my switch pretty bad so i sold it to him and gave me a little extra for my troubles. i guess i'll be waiting a while for a restock/revision hopefully by the end of the year.

Spladam

welp! i guess i'll be getting breath of the wild for wii u. someone local wanted my switch pretty bad so i sold it to him and gave me a little extra for my troubles. i guess i'll be waiting a while for a restock/revision hopefully by the end of the year.
WOW, that was either REALLY nice of you or they made you a deal you could not refuse. Not many here could have done that.

Hey retroGAF,
look what i got for dinner =P all tidy in a ziplock bag!

pretty excited to finally get a nes RGB will take shots and crosspost in the nes, scanline and AV threads =)

Enjoy! It was collecting dust in my house after I sold my NES collection and kept meaning to buy an everdrive but never getting around to it.

I love the NES but i love the Saturn more lately.

Laws00

UPS says my Everdrives are delayed. But thankful they are in my state and on route.

That's nice :(

Gives me more time time to dig through my video game wire container and get my cords today.

Fularu

Banned
Wii, PS3, and 360 are all very good systems to buy games for right now. PS2 and Xbox are pretty good still too.

It's weird to me that the better games on DS didn't see a huge plunge in prices but that might be down to 3DS backwards compatibility.
For DS games the market is plagued by bootlegs (same with GBA really) which prevents the prices from going up.

This has also helped the MD market since now anyone can make a "repro" (bootleg) for like 10$ so you have to be incredibly carefull with what you purchase, keeping prices on the low.

Once someone fonds an as easy way for SFC games to be mass reproduced at very little cost, expect SFC game prices to stabilize and even go cheaper.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Same here. I probably have more games than I could ever enjoy in one lifetime anyway.

This is my situation as well, so i am trying to only pick up games that i really want these days. But yeah, way too many of those as well.

Laws00

speaking of DS games after watching this Metal Jesus video of how to spot counterfeit game buying carts seems VERY SCARY to me now.

I've been wanting to buy Super Princess Peach now i'm worried I might get a fake. At least when i'm looking to buy my games I look for them complete with everything.

D.Lo

Retro GAF: unite in not buying any more retro games ;)

My budget and retro game time always gets stalled for a new system, and with a system this mesmerising and a game like this at launch I really don't need any other games for a while. At times like this I typically only keep an eye out for various grails, rather than grab random stuff to check out cheap.

Your collection is a real collection though. There's more value in it as a whole. Mine is more of a disorganized hoarding of games I wanted to own/play lol.
Haha kind of you to say, I do take a more museum approach. I think one day I could do an exhibit, even if only my complete Nintendo and Sega Japanese console sets.

For DS games the market is plagued by bootlegs (same with GBA really) which prevents the prices from going up.

This has also helped the MD market since now anyone can make a "repro" (bootleg) for like 10$ so you have to be incredibly carefull with what you purchase, keeping prices on the low.

Once someone fonds an as easy way for SFC games to be mass reproduced at very little cost, expect SFC game prices to stabilize and even go cheaper.
Plenty of SNES and N64 bootlegs are arriving. Nintendo used higher quality plastics and labels than Sega did for the MD though (Mark III are very high quality, but Sega started penny pinching around 1988) so Nintendo stuff is harder to fake for collectors.

Tonyx

UPS says my Everdrives are delayed. But thankful they are in my state and on route.

That's nice :(

Gives me more time time to dig through my video game wire container and get my cords today.

Cool. Which one have you got? Have you already decided which game are you going to play first?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I can't stand that shit. No one needs 8 fucking copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga. What an ass.

On a different note, I finally got and installed a wall mount that let's me rotate my tv screen into portrait mode for some tate action.

33303054892_1be9410dd3_h.jpg

Holy shit this is awesome!

Spladam

Considering the launch issues coupled with the hardware flaw in the joycon L, I'm happily waiting for a revision while I play BotW on WiiU, lol.
Ah, you have BotW on the WiiU, cool. Was thinking about picking up a U just for that, but as we all know now, it does not seem like the prices are getting any better.

Also, WOW, I watched that entire video. I had no idea.

WOW, that was either REALLY nice of you or they made you a deal you could not refuse. Not many here could have done that.
the heard by chance i got one and i was thinking of returning it so he offered a few bucks for it not too much.
Considering the launch issues coupled with the hardware flaw in the joycon L, I'm happily waiting for a revision while I play BotW on WiiU, lol.
yeah, i'm actually waiting for this myself, still have my special edition boxed up.
Enjoy! It was collecting dust in my house after I sold my NES collection and kept meaning to buy an everdrive but never getting around to it.
I love the NES but i love the Saturn more lately.
thanks really for the insane deal =)
it's been keeping me busy for the last couple of days. i don't have a normal CRT that accepts RF or composite signal only RGB, so it was a perfect match. Hope you find the Saturn games you're looking for =)

Laws00

Cool. Which one have you got? Have you already decided which game are you going to play first?

Using the last of my tax money bought snes, nes,genesis and turbo ever drives.

Besides buying these work boots I'm done buying things for quite a while.

Really though not anything in particular other then Valis, and arcus oddesey on genesis. I'd like to buy them but for reason I can't be fucked to play buy eBay prices.

Snes nothing in particular maybe secret of evermore, fan translated secret or mana 3, and sailor moon

Nes again nothing in particular

Now turbo as much as it sounds dumb, I want to play Keith's courage lol and street fighter 2'.

I've bought the virtual console ports on Wii for a couple of games.

Unless you have a 6 buttons pad, playing SF2' on PCE is torture

I tried it once and it was hard keeping track of all the move bindings. I wonder why they didn't go with the Game Boy setup of length of time button pressed = the severity of the attack (i.e. tap=jab, press=strong, hold=fierce, etc).

i always wondered as a kid how fighting streets worked on a TGX-16 2 button pad.
i kept thinking as a teenager, you flip the turbo settings for roundhouse, fierce, switch them down to short, jab lol

i kept thinking about how they implemented street fighter with two buttons in the arcade:
ZsU6ZvH.jpg

i always wondered as a kid how fighting streets worked on a TGX-16 2 button pad.
i kept thinking as a teenager, you flip the turbo settings for roundhouse, fierce, switch them down to short, jab lol

i kept thinking about how they implemented street fighter with two buttons in the arcade:
ZsU6ZvH.jpg

The Arcade in my town had that version of Street Fighter, depending on how hard you hit those big ass buttons determined how strong the attack was. It was fun for the original SF where even pulling off a special move was super difficult so you were just banging away and hoping for the best.

The Arcade in my town had that version of Street Fighter, depending on how hard you hit those big ass buttons determined how strong the attack was. It was fun for the original SF where even pulling off a special move was super difficult so you were just banging away and hoping for the best.
that's awesome you had it near you.
i saw it at Space Station super arcade in NYC 34th St. Penn Station.
saw this before the 6 button machine. this guy was pounding away at it =)

btw, how much does your tate screen weigh? i'm afraid to do something like that but it looks so cool.

My budget and retro game time always gets stalled for a new system, and with a system this mesmerising and a game like this at launch I really don't need any other games for a while. At times like this I typically only keep an eye out for various grails, rather than grab random stuff to check out cheap.

I'm right there with ya. Between the poor Canadian Dollar, the crazy increase in game prices and the sheer awesomeness of BOTW / Switch my retro collecting has slowed to a snails pace. I still browse the usual spots for some gems or deals too good to turn down but as of right now my focus is 95% on Switch!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I bought like 10 Dreamcast games a month ago, so that was my retro shit for a while. But yeah, most of my attention is going to Switch, with the rest of it focused on decking out my PC with needless bullshit (new, super-fancy case, water cooling, fancy lighting, new keyboard, etc.)

I kinda wish more effort went in to modded controllers. A clickier dualshock would be a nice halfway point between old game and keyboard purchases.

Once I go full time, I might jettison some cash for a rev 1 Wondermega. This is why I can't have a nice bank account.

I always wanted an OG Wondermega but my RGB fetishism makes it a non-starter.

Sure, I could mod it, but I would feel like shit modding such an aesthetically gorgeous system.

Top Bottom