• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Tain

Over the weekend I checked out Solar Assault and Solar Assault SS. Didn't play too much of the 32X original, but damn, Solar Assault SS is a pretty crazy tech showcase for the Saturn. It runs so smooth and the effects are so good! Not sure what I think of the game yet.

It's also a solid example of letterboxed 16:9 as a performance trick, lol.

I like the casual display of both RSG and Soukyugurentai :p

Got a Batsugun just out of shot, too.

XJonPmw.jpg

I didn't know Soukyugurentai was rare or coveted, though, and I bought it because I had read it was a spiritual successor to Layer Section. I love Layer Section.

there's actually a Saturn game with those Macross valks i posted =)

The Valkyries in Do You Remember Love are cool, but my favorite design is the Shinsei Industries YF-19 from Macross Plus.

Fularu

Banned

I didn't know Soukyugurentai was rare or coveted, though, and I bought it because I had read it was a spiritual successor to Layer Section. I love Layer Section.

The Valkyries in Do You Remember Love are cool, but my favorite design is the Shinsei Industries YF-19 from Macross Plus.

Hey I adore Soukyugurentai. It's a fantastic game and the PSOne port is atrocious.

isn't there a Macross Plus game? (probably not memorable) ah yes, i have a few of those birds, not sure if you're into figures but if you're a fan of that bird, i 100% recommend to get your hands on a vf-19 advance from bandai. it's amazing.

back to Saturn... damn i want layer section... i will get a Saturn one day...

isn't there a Macross Plus game? (probably not memorable) ah yes, i have a few of those birds, not sure if you're into figures but if you're a fan of that bird, i 100% recommend to get your hands on a vf-19 advance from bandai. it's amazing.

back to Saturn... damn i want layer section... i will get a Saturn one day...

I have a few figures, all mecha, so that's right up my alley. That's probably one of the coolest figures I've ever seen.

If I could get my hands on a RVA-818 X-LAY figure, I'd buy it instantly.

meppi

Just an update on the PS2 Framemeister debacle.
Looks like it is indeed my PS2 fat that doesn't like my Framemeister.

Tried a Japanese slim as well as a Pal slim with the same cable and both work pretty much perfectly. Not sure if the fat is wonky or that it just doesn't play well with an XRGB...

Been playing around with a ton of settings, but I can't seem to get the scan lines to look decent with a PS2. Had to try a lot of things to get the image to appear correctly as well as I had black borders all around the sceen.
Possibly a 50hz thing?
But getting scan lines to look good is terribly frustrating, while on a Dreamcast and Saturn, they immediately look terrific.

Just an update on the PS2 Framemeister debacle.
Looks like it is indeed my PS2 fat that doesn't like my Framemeister.

Tried a Japanese slim as well as a Pal slim with the same cable and both work pretty much perfectly. Not sure if the fat is wonky or that it just doesn't play well with an XRGB...

Been playing around with a ton of settings, but I can't seem to get the scan lines to look decent with a PS2. Had to try a lot of things to get the image to appear correctly as well as I had black borders all around the sceen.
Possibly a 50hz thing?
But getting scan lines to look good is terribly frustrating, while on a Dreamcast and Saturn, they immediately look terrific.

Clearly history made a mistake.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
But not Phoebe :(

Also it looks like DC-Renovation would be the better option compared to GD-EMu no?

Fuzzy it's my birthday party tomorrow night so I can't do the 6 hours drive to go to Montréal and come back to Québec within the same day :p

Maybe next time!
Then it's good that it's not tomorrow but next week. ;)

Happy birthday.

I got an order in for RetroDC powered's 3 in one Genesis/32x/sega cd adapter.

My goal for the summer is to get a 32x and a sega cd model 1 working and discover the real ultimate power of 16 bit sega.

Wondering if I should just get all 3 refitted with new capacitors to make sure they're in tip top shape.

I got an order in for RetroDC powered's 3 in one Genesis/32x/sega cd adapter.

My goal for the summer is to get a 32x and a sega cd model 1 working and discover the real ultimate power of 16 bit sega.

Wondering if I should just get all 3 refitted with new capacitors to make sure they're in tip top shape.

Do you have a Sega CD already? The model 1s especially tend to have issues, even outside of capacitor failure the lasers don't hold up so well and the drive trays can get pretty messed up.

It's a bit fugly (and long) but a model 1 genesis + model 2 sega CD is a good pair.

They're also surprisingly expensive, but (if you're up for it) you can buy units that "don't turn on" and like 9 times out of 10 it's just a fuse that's gone that you can replace and (hopefully) everything else is good to go.

Do you have a Sega CD already? The model 1s especially tend to have issues, even outside of capacitor failure the lasers don't hold up so well and the drive trays can get pretty messed up.

It's a bit fugly (and long) but a model 1 genesis + model 2 sega CD is a good pair.

They're also surprisingly expensive, but (if you're up for it) you can buy units that "don't turn on" and like 9 times out of 10 it's just a fuse that's gone that you can replace and (hopefully) everything else is good to go.

I had a model 2 and sold it like an idiot.

I know model 1 is finicky but that look is so good. I should probably just go for practical. A shop in my town has a model 1 but the guy is an idiot so he looks up ebay listings for this sega cd unit only with no cords and he can't test it. He compares to these bundles and repaired systems and won't take less than $80.

Does anyone else burn CDs still? Does your burner actually support burning at a low speed (like 4x)?

I had been using the same DVD/CD burner since 2004, it's a Pioneer model with IDE interface, and it's been rock solid until a few days ago. Now it doesn't want to do anything.

Thankfully I also have a newer Asus SATA burner, but I've found that it just flat out does not support burning below 16X for CDs. I tried some other burners in old laptops that we have sitting in drawers and yeahh they do minimum 10X and 8X respectively, which seems to be just too fast for discs intended for use in a PS1 (so many FMV skips, happens in a PS1 as well as 3 different PS2s). Also I've tried an external Blu-Ray burner and yeah that goes to a minimum of 8X as well.

Mostly I want this for literal backups of my PS1 games since my US region games are in bad shape and I've been using CD-Rs to get around that.

I'm trying to find a new burner that will actually burn at low speeds but there's not much info on manufacturer websites. If you have any recommendations, please let me know!

Peltz

Does anyone else burn CDs still? Does your burner actually support burning at a low speed (like 4x)?

I had been using the same DVD/CD burner since 2004, it's a Pioneer model with IDE interface, and it's been rock solid until a few days ago. Now it doesn't want to do anything.

Thankfully I also have a newer Asus SATA burner, but I've found that it just flat out does not support burning below 16X for CDs. I tried some other burners in old laptops that we have sitting in drawers and yeahh they do minimum 10X and 8X respectively, which seems to be just too fast for discs intended for use in a PS1 (so many FMV skips, happens in a PS1 as well as 3 different PS2s). Also I've tried an external Blu-Ray burner and yeah that goes to a minimum of 8X as well.

Mostly I want this for literal backups of my PS1 games since my US region games are in bad shape and I've been using CD-Rs to get around that.

I'm trying to find a new burner that will actually burn at low speeds but there's not much info on manufacturer websites. If you have any recommendations, please let me know!

I haven't burnt a CD in like 10 years. What does burning at a low speed do? How does it make things skip less?

nope. it seems like anything made in the last 10 years probably doesn't do lower than 16x.

I have only had a few issues with my saturn or ps1 burns at that speed so far. Just toss the disc and give it another try..

You could probably try to find an old external drive but who knows if it works or if modern windows can make it work.

Then you're looking at building an old PC build which has its own perks?

I haven't burnt a CD in like 10 years. What does burning at a low speed do? How does it make things skip less?

lower speed causes less errors/issues. It's generally not necessary but sometimes the fast speeds will lead to unreadable discs for the older cd based consoles. I would say out of 20 or so burns i get 1-2 bad ones that just don't boot. Burning on another disc does the job.

I'm not sure exactly why but at speed you get more errors. There's error correction in all optical media but it seems those errors are a big problem on old CD readers, like say in a PS1.

On the same burner, same media, same PS1, at 16X I would likely get the game to not even boot, 8X it works but you have FMV skipping and occasional issues loading, 4X everything is perfect. It seems to depend on other factors too, like CDs with darker bottoms (really more expensive discs with better material) you'll get better results at all speeds.

I have only had a few issues with my saturn or ps1 burns at that speed so far. Just toss the disc and give it another try..

Yeah I've had that experience but I've tossed 8 discs already trying to get a better burn of Star Ocean 2.

Then you're looking at building an old PC build which has its own perks?
Way ahead of you there, I have a Windows 98 PC already that I built last year.

I'm thinking to just try ordering a like early 2000s CD burner off Ebay, thankfully my new and old PCs both have IDE.

I burn CD backups for my Saturn and Sega CD somewhat frequently. I have an ASUS optical drive that can write at 8x and haven't had any problems using that speed and I've burned maybe 30 games between the two systems.

I have burned games for PS1, as well, but the system is extremely picky with the CD type. I can use the cheapest spindle of CDs from CVS to burn Saturn and Sega CD games, but the PS1 demands professional standard CDs. I had to order JVC Taiyo Yuden CDs for them to work properly.

I have a few figures, all mecha, so that's right up my alley. That's probably one of the coolest figures I've ever seen.
cyborgundam, i'm selling a yf-19 on the MW boards, if you're interested let me know and i'll pm you the details.
wow, that makes me glad I haven't gotten into Macross yet.
Macross Plus is a 4 part series worth it for the OST alone
+1
oh man totally recommend checking it out Laevateinn =)
I didn't like the Macross game at all but there's a gaffer on here who thinks it's like the best shooter on Saturn lol
That's some shit right there.
he's probably blinded by fandom. on Macross world there used to be so many zealots that you couldn't say one negative thing without people piling on you. he must be from there

Laws00

Yes I have been burning games as of late.

For my sega Saturn and pc engine.

For some reason it won't burn past 16x and I was getting scared.

I've messed with it and it will allow me to burn at 4x currently.

I use image burn.

I don't know the name of the burner I have since I'm at work.

I haven't had any problems thus far

Peltz

Personally, I don't play burnt games. I worry about making the laser struggle to read CD-R material. These lenses are fragile enough even when used as designed.

Anth0ny

Can't wait til stuff like GDEMU are mass produced like flashcarts for all the CD-based consoles

the day will come soon enough, friends.

meppi

Been tinkering with the Framemeister to set up my Saturn after a couple of years of neglecting it.
All my non-current systems have been boxed up for close to 4 years now, due to me packing everything away in advance of moving house.
Then those plans fell through and I spent 3 years hunting for a new place.
So now that I'm finally settled a bit and have to time to play games I finally been setting up a system a day.

Started out a bit disappointing as I found out that my grey Japanese Saturn seems to be dead. When I turn it on and the lid is closed, the drive make the noise of a coffee bean grinder...
I don't want to throw it out since everything else still seems to work. So I'll have to see if I can find a new drive or hope for that driverless mod to be viable in the future.

Luckily I had a white Japanese system packed away as well as a spare.
This one seems to have made the trip perfectly.
Popped in Sega Rally and was surprised to see it looking so blocky. It doesn't quite look like that in my memories. :)
But as I finished my first lap I couldn't help think to myself how gorgeous this game is. :D
Still my favourite racing game after 20+ years along with F355 Challenge.
After a lap or 3 I just zoned out and the game started to play itself. Felt a bit like I was dreaming. So strange how someone can so easily slip right back into it.

I even went to look around and order a couple of Japanese imports that I somehow missed out on over the years.

Yeah GDEmu and the similar products for other platforms are the future for sure but today are too pricey for me to jump in. PSIO in particular has an extremely high price, a complicated install process, and isn't even 100% compatible with all games.

Edit: BTW I found a seller that had new-old-stock CD-RW drives from 2005 for fairly cheap so I looked up a model number, found it's list of supported write speeds (much broader support than my modern stuff) and bought it.

I thought about checking thrift stores around here for old systems to pilfer from but it's pretty hit or miss and something new should be much more reliable.

meppi

Well some good news. For now at least.

Got the Grey Saturn working again.
Opened it up one more time and manually turned the wheels of the laser till it got all the way to the back. Turned it even a little more and something went click. Not even sure what that was about.
Put the top back on and now it's running NiGHTS like nothing happened.

So if you ever get a Saturn that acts like a coffee grinder, perhaps the laser went over a certain safe spot and got stuck there. Might be a super easy fix.

Naturally I don't know if this will be a one time thing or if it'll start doing it again in 5 minutes. But I'm so glad it seems to be okay for now. :)

Vespa

Can't wait til stuff like GDEMU are mass produced like flashcarts for all the CD-based consoles

the day will come soon enough, friends.

Looking forward for the prices to come down for this. I was looking at the DC Renovation mod and it has a comparison with the GDEMU which says it's not region free where as the DC Rev is, is that still true? not sure how up to date the site is.

It would be nice if there was a mod that let you keep the GD-ROM drive in place, sort of like that Saturn expansion cart thing will but I guess that's a lot harder to do on the DC.

Vespa

Popped in Sega Rally and was surprised to see it looking so blocky. It doesn't quite look like that in my memories. :)
But as I finished my first lap I couldn't help think to myself how gorgeous this game is. :D
Still my favourite racing game after 20+ years along with F355 Challenge.
After a lap or 3 I just zoned out and the game started to play itself. Felt a bit like I was dreaming. So strange how someone can so easily slip right back into it.

Sega Rally's handling is still the bar that I judge arcade rally games by it's such an elegant and distilled description of how rally driving should feel or how I at least imagine it to feel like. Wave Race and 1080 are similar, I still find their handling models are unsurpassed.

I've not touched F355 since the DC release, that took awhile for me to get a feel for it but man, when it clicks!

Looking forward for the prices to come down for this. I was looking at the DC Renovation mod and it has a comparison with the GDEMU which says it's not region free where as the DC Rev is, is that still true? not sure how up to date the site is.

I can never understand people thinking the prices of devices like rhea or gdemu are too expensive, its the price of five or six moderately priced games for the system.

Considering the absolute piss take of retro game prices on ebay and the like its absolutely nothing to pay for what you get in return.

meppi

Sega Rally's handling is still the bar that I judge arcade rally games by it's such an elegant and distilled description of how rally driving should feel or how I at least imagine it to feel like. Wave Race and 1080 are similar, I still find their handling models are unsurpassed.

I've not touched F355 since the DC release, that took awhile for me to get a feel for it but man, when it clicks!

Oh absolutely!
Sadly I've only had one opportunity to play an actual arcade cabinet of Sega Rally 1995 and that was a couple of years after I got the Saturn version.
While playing with a wheel and pedals was very different, the handling felt spot on from the first second. Exactly how AM#3 and Sega CS were able to turn an analogue control system into a digital one while keeping the feeling and handling spot on is still beyond me after all these years...
Fully agree with 1080 and WaveRace 64 as well. Such a shame neither sequels were anything like the originals. It's the one thing that made them such timeless classics and for some reason the developers of the sequels didn't seem to grasp that.

It's been a while since I played F355 myself and it sure was a bitch to get into. But I adore the game. Turning off all assists and spending days, weeks and months learning how to control a single car. Simply perfection.
The feeling you got when you finally realised you were in control and could start pushing the Ferarri quite a bit without flinging it into the guardrail on the next corner. :D

I hope Amy doesn't mind me taking a page out of her book. ;)

Fularu

Banned
GDEmu is actually significantly cheaper than DC Revolution

But DC Revolution allows me to use an hdd (an ultra slim one for example) and have my whole collection on one drive (as opposed to the limitations of the current SD Card).

It would also be faster and more reliable (SD Cards are prety flimsy tbh)

Edit : Please quote your giant pictures, it's easier to read :p

Vespa

I can never understand people thinking the prices of devices like rhea or gdemu are too expensive, its the price of five or six moderately priced games for the system.

Considering the absolute piss take of retro game prices on ebay and the like its absolutely nothing to pay for what you get in return.

That's an understandable viewpoint and I agree on with you on the value, I was happy to pay for the Everdrive 64 and the Mega Everdrive. I should have said I was wanting the DC Renovation price to come down ($208 with the lid switch before shipping), it's a fair bit more than the GDEMU which is set at a reasonable and comparable price to the Everdrives. I admit I don't know the amount of work that goes into these things so it might not be a fair comparison.

Oh absolutely!
Sadly I've only had one opportunity to play an actual arcade cabinet of Sega Rally 1995 and that was a couple of years after I got the Saturn version.
While playing with a wheel and pedals was very different, the handling felt spot on from the first second. Exactly how AM#3 and Sega CS were able to turn an analogue control system into a digital one while keeping the feeling and handling spot on is still beyond me after all these years...
Fully agree with 1080 and WaveRace 64 as well. Such a shame neither sequels were anything like the originals. It's the one thing that made them such timeless classics and for some reason the developers of the sequels didn't seem to grasp that.

It's been a while since I played F355 myself and it sure was a bitch to get into. But I adore the game. Turning off all assists and spending days, weeks and months learning how to control a single car. Simply perfection.
The feeling you got when you finally realised you were in control and could start pushing the Ferarri quite a bit without flinging it into the guardrail on the next corner. :D

I hope Amy doesn't mind me taking a page out of her book. ;)

The sense of contact and feedback you have with the track is amazing, and yeah, it's through a d-pad too, you quickly build up an intuition or vocabulary on the amount of input you need for the type of corner you're facing. It's almost like you're playing a rhythm action title, the flow to me sort of feels similar, especially in Time Trial.

Did you know about the Ps2 60fps (Japanese only, I think) release? I didn't until a friend mentioned it, I've imported it but not got my Ps2 setup currently, dying to play it. I actually played the arcade version after playing the Saturn version like you and the higher frame rate and steering wheel really threw me!

Thanks for the pics.

Yes Boss!

Tweaked my game setup after a few weeks to what I will use this year. Especially since I added another J360 I feel like it is complete for me. Tons of other stuff in storage but I made this with what I have on hand and use.

Basically a shooter and a moderate retro shrine.

27003426-839E-43D1-9226-061A36D9D7EE.jpg

meppi

That's an understandable viewpoint and I agree on with you on the value, I was happy to pay for the Everdrive 64 and the Mega Everdrive. I should have said I was wanting the DC Renovation price to come down ($208 with the lid switch before shipping), it's a fair bit more than the GDEMU which is set at a reasonable and comparable price to the Everdrives. I admit I don't know the amount of work that goes into these things so it might not be a fair comparison.

The sense of contact and feedback you have with the track is amazing, and yeah, it's through a d-pad too, you quickly build up an intuition or vocabulary on the amount of input you need for the type of corner you're facing. It's almost like you're playing a rhythm action title, the flow to me sort of feels similar, especially in Time Trial.

Did you know about the Ps2 60fps (Japanese only, I think) release? I didn't until a friend mentioned it, I've imported it but not got my Ps2 setup currently, dying to play it. I actually played the arcade version after playing the Saturn version like you and the higher frame rate and steering wheel really threw me!

Thanks for the pics.

No problem.
If you'd like a heap more, just check my profile. ;)

I do have the PS2 release of Sega Rally 1995. just as the Virtua Fighter: 10th Anniversary disc. Been a while since I played it actually.
As far as I remember it's a terrific port. Really liked what I played of it.
But for some weird reason I always gravitate towards the Saturn version.

Ended up putting NiGHTS in tonight as well. I either lost my old save date or it must be on another memory cart. :-/
So I started anew. For some reason I had a hard time getting into it again, even though it's easily one of my favourite games of all time.
I guess the memorisation plays quite a big part of it also. After half an hour or so it clicked again. Still love Soft Museum and Frozen Bell the most. Being able to continuously loop those levels never gets old.
It's almost half past 2 here so I guess this game still has it's claws deep in me after all these years and hundreds upon hundreds of hours. :)

It still plays the best out of all the versions that are available today.
A huge part of this has to be the analogue pad that feels completely different from any other sticks. Some conversions got close, but nowhere near perfect.

Tweaked my game setup after a few weeks to what I will use this year. Especially since I added another J360 I feel like it is complete for me. Tons of other stuff in storage but I made this with what I have on hand and use.

Basically a shooter and a moderate retro shrine.

27003426-839E-43D1-9226-061A36D9D7EE.jpg

Those two vertical screens are LCDs or LEDs, right?
The thing is, I got a spare 46" Panasonic plasma, but I think I remember hearing that putting a plasma tv on it's side is not a good idea.
Anyone know more about this?

PS. Love the Recca cameo. ;)

Top Bottom