• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

KC-Slater

Thanks! That threads kind of beat tho and not thriving like these retro threads.

Lol

I hear that. I don't know why arcade hardware threads on GAF don't have a longer shelf life? Perhaps the communities that want to discuss that stuff, just do it elsewhere? It's a shame, though. I'd personally love to have a one-stop shop to discuss all my arcade hardware related questions...

I hear that. I don't know why arcade hardware threads on GAF don't have a longer shelf life? Perhaps the communities that want to discuss that stuff, just do it elsewhere? It's a shame, though. I'd personally love to have a one-stop shop to discuss all my arcade hardware related questions...

It's a pretty expensive hobby and requires a lot more space than normal games. Both of these things really limit the appeal.

KC-Slater

It's a pretty expensive hobby and requires a lot more space than normal games. Both of these things really limit the appeal.

While it does require a fair amount of space, especially if you're not just collecting boards and re-using/sharing a cab, it is not nearly as expensive as one would think. Much of the time, people give away cabinets just to free up space, or because factors change in their lives, and they don't want the commitment of such a large piece of gaming furniture, lol.

One of my personal favourite aspects of the hobby is that cabs that once cost thousands of dollars, can now easily be had for a few hundred bucks. It's sort of surreal.

Lettuce

What the fuck has happened to the shipping prices of the eBay shop Yamatoku-Classic!??. A single snes cart is like £9.80 shipping now to the UK!!, I used to use this eBay seller a fair bit but it's just not worth it anymore with these ridiculous prices.

Funny thing was just under the auction I let finish without bidding (cos of the shipping charges) was an advertisement for Royal Mail showing shipping charges for different countries and had China/Japan shipping charges starting at £3.75 lol

Is there an alternative to Yamatoku on eBay?

Teknoman

Hit-Japan maybe? I dunno actually, because i've been seeing some higher shipping prices now too (result of imports become more popular?). They're still ok for checking out things that might be ending soon.
There is another seller called ryoplanshop.

IrishNinja

yeah man, yamatokus is done for me unless he fixes those - again, i'm guessing non-tracked SAL or whatever it was got him boned too much, so now he's demanding that EMS which ain't cheap. shame, i wanted more JP saturn love (Dragon Force II, Suikoden etc) on the cheap but i can wait till a domestic seller has em one day.

glad i got most of what i wanted years back before this happened, at least

Balb

I know this will make me a terrible person for even asking, but does the N-Gage have ANYTHING worth playing? Looking at the games and it has a fair amount of good IPs.

IrishNinja

I know this will make me a terrible person for even asking, but does the N-Gage have ANYTHING worth playing? Looking at the games and it has a fair amount of good IPs.

yeah, the IP's they got are crazy, but the reviews on CGR really made me feel like i saw all i needed to see, personally
less interaction in some than my old tiger handhelds

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

There was a strategy game that some people said was good. I don't buy it.

Falcom also had a port of Xanadu Next on the system (well, I'm pretty sure they shopped it out, but still.) I guess that's kinda novel? But then, the real game is coming out on PC in the US in the next couple of months, so that's probably a waste of everyone's time at this point.

No, N-Gage sucks.

Balb

Yeah, I mainly just want one out of morbid curiosity and to try the ports like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. I kind of want to see what that Elder Scrolls game is about too. The system itself is more expensive than you'd think, which is the main thing preventing me from getting one.

Wasn't that Tomb Raider game impressive for the time? Maybe not.

Yes and no. I only ever played it really briefly in store so my experience with the game is limited but I do remember being impressed with how it was the Playstation game on a handheld and seemed to play pretty much identically to the console version. What hurt it for me was the D Pad on the Ngage (really uncomfortable) and the tiny screen, made it hard to see where to go.

Shaneus

I bought an N-Gage for $50 or something :/

I distinctly remember it had a game like Exhumed for the Saturn, may have even been that exact game. Do recall it being surprisingly impressive for such a shitbox device.

Khaz

The few good or impressive games the N-Gage had, were better or more impressive elsewhere. I don't think anything is worth saving nowadays.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Do we have a Wii collection-thread? I was sure there was one, but cant find it among my subscriptions.

Edit: Never mind, I am stupid.

I bought an N-Gage for $50 or something :/

I distinctly remember it had a game like Exhumed for the Saturn, may have even been that exact game. Do recall it being surprisingly impressive for such a shitbox device.
Probably thinking of Ashen.

There was a strategy game that some people said was good. I don't buy it.
Pocket Kingdom or Pathway to Glory?

The former was garbage and a waste of cash. Never played Pathway.

Best game I'd say was definitely Tony Hawk, even with the portrait screen.

entremet

So how many physical games do you guys have?

I just finished cataloging some recent buys and I'm at 171. Not too much, but I just started collecting last year.

DS is my biggest at 28.

And NES my smallest at 1.

The bulk of my collection are from the seventh generation, when I stopped selling games.

BTails

I'm at around 500. And like you, I lost a few from selling (Though thankfully only from PS2/XBX/GCN).

Largest collection is probably PS2 or Xbox 360, which are both around 40. Retro systems tend to be anywhere from 4 (32x) to around 30 (Genesis / NES / Gameboy).

I'm a little over 500. Just purged my 3DS/DS/Wii collection so I was over 600, just kept what I haven't played yet.
Genesis I have the most for and it's my favorite system, but got damn do those boxes take up a lot of space.

entremet

Im probably at 171 at Nes/Famicom alone lol. Have no idea how many in total though.

Get collecting software!

it helps when out in the field. I've bought doubles before without knowing.

But then again, doubles aren't too bad as you can flip or trade them.

The only thing I track carefully is my NES collection. I'm at around 110 games. Also have a handful of Famicom and FDS games now. I have anywhere from 20 to 40 games each for SNES, PS1, PS2 and PS3.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Get collecting software!

it helps when out in the field. I've bought doubles before without knowing.

But then again, doubles aren't too bad as you can flip or trade them.

Yeah, I will when I ever get a smartphone I guess. I know all about buying doubles though, bought two copies of Conquest of the Crystal Palace in pretty close proximity last year. To be fair, I was moving and all my stuff was packed down, so I didnt have control at all.

AaronMT86

Anyone purchase high quality replacement cartridge sticker game labels online for Genesis carts? Where from? I have a couple used games I would like to replace their labels which the sticker on some are in poor shape.

Questions for people:

I have a chrono trigger but the label sucks. Should I put a new label on it? I was actually thinking of getting a cheap old sports game or something and swapping the boards, then putting a replacement label on it. That way I can keep my original label for posterity but a new label for looks. Or I can just say screw it. Wondering if it's worth the effort.

Question two: universal game cases. I'm moving my loose carts into UGCs. For those who do, do you move your boxed games in to them, too, and store the boxes? Or do you keep your boxed games boxed? Wondering if it would look bad without the collection being uniform.

Olly88

I just finished cataloging some recent buys and I'm at 171. Not too much, but I just started collecting last year.

DS is my biggest at 28.

And NES my smallest at 1.

The bulk of my collection are from the seventh generation, when I stopped selling games.

My total # of games on VGCollect is 587 at the moment. That number will probably be missing a few PC games that I've forgotten about, but most of it is there. PS2 is currently my biggest at 131.

Havoc2049

Is there a Jaguar appreciation thread? I tried to do some searching but couldn't find anything.

The Jaguar appreciation thread in the OP was weak to begin with and the person who made it abandoned the thread pretty quickly. The best thing about the thread was the witty title that a mod changed.

I'm heavily into the Jaguar scene and have a near complete collection. I could make a new thread if people want.

IrishNinja

bKPNUMy.jpg

the collection is complete~

that's my roommate's shellless turbo everdrive (i'll likely get my own down the road, they're not expensive), and i plan on an SMS one day for the SG-1000 library, but i'm really happy with this! Mega Everdrive label could use some work, but that one honestly gets the most use and it's not like they're often out of their respective systems, haha

honestly, i should've done this years ago - i now have the means to play anything i want on any cart system, without emulating. i likewise have every disc-based system up to about the 7th (last) gen modded to play backups, so from now on, i can literally play anything i have the hardware for. this way, stuff i absolutely love gets added to a list & i feel no rush to pick any of it up until i find it for a price i want...if that never happens, i still get to experience it.

with the way prices have gone the last few years - particularly how bad US saturn & turbo stuff got - i told myself this would be the year i stop worrying about the bubble & my white whale/etc skyrocketing like Little Samson & others have. fear's a shitty reason to do anything, and even winning the lottery tomorrow wouldn't make me feel better about forking over half my rent check just to have Space Adventure Cobra on my shelf, much less feed the cycle.

not judging anybody here for doing otherwise, mind - just really excited to play games, not follow ebay/pricechart crap like it's comics in the early 90's all over again. god knows my backlog isn't getting any better now, but i'm so happy with these guys.

IrishNinja

Do you rate the SNES everdrive even without the custom chip support?

actually i cheapened out & didn't get the DSP chip, as i've Super Mario Kart, Pilotwings etc on cart....but there's a few hacks/etc on here i'd like to try, so yeah, next time i see one of those supported games for cheap i reckon i'll jack said chip & have a friend solder it onto mine.

the SD2SNES exclusive ones are fortunately a short list - Mario RPG, Mega Man X2/3, and a few others i wanna say...all of which i've got on cart, so yeah, i think the Super 2.0 is a fine board! i mean, even if FX support was somehow later added to the SD2, i'm basically missing Star Fox 1 & 2, and mebbe Yoshi's Island.

that's the thing, for me - the only thing i'd trade for here is faster loading. if the compatibility list was larger, that'd be a factor, but i'm looking at like 95%+, and i've access to the missing ones that matter to me. you know what would've sold me? save states, i love that option on my Mega ED.

but $79 (cheaper on black friday!) vs $190? personally, i didn't see enough value to warrant more than doubling the price.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah looking at the prices of some games I started going down that route too and ordered a Famicom Everdrive N8, and am planning to get a Genesis one sometime soon. The thing that pushed me over is Gimmick and it's pricing considering it was something I really wanted to play, but overall it's all about the games and being able to play them as much as I would like owning all the carts. I figure going this way and making an effort to grab carts of games I really like will work well.

The Jaguar appreciation thread in the OP was weak to begin with and the person who made it abandoned the thread pretty quickly. The best thing about the thread was the witty title that a mod changed.

I'm heavily into the Jaguar scene and have a near complete collection. I could make a new thread if people want.

Yeah that thread seemed more like a joke post than a serious appreciation thread. I don't have a Jaguar yet but I want one, was going to ask in a Jaguar appreciation thread what a fair going price was for a console.

Kickass video.

A youtube retro guy that I don't instantly hate? With no stupid fucking intro with 8-bit graphics and music? And no retarded put on 'attitood'?

This dude is fighting the good fight!

D.Lo Seal of Approval is all I need.

Do you rate the SNES everdrive even without the custom chip support?

There aren't that many custom chip SNES games, and even with what the SD2SNES supports you're missing SA1 + SuperFX which means games like Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Star Fox (+2), and Yoshi's Island won't work.

I mostly care about flashcarts for hacks + translations, and as far as that goes only the Star Ocean translation is really missing on Super Everdrive.

Bancho

the collection is complete~

that's my roommate's shellless turbo everdrive (i'll likely get my own down the road, they're not expensive), and i plan on an SMS one day for the SG-1000 library, but i'm really happy with this! Mega Everdrive label could use some work, but that one honestly gets the most use and it's not like they're often out of their respective systems, haha

honestly, i should've done this years ago - i now have the means to play anything i want on any cart system, without emulating. i likewise have every disc-based system up to about the 7th (last) gen modded to play backups, so from now on, i can literally play anything i have the hardware for. this way, stuff i absolutely love gets added to a list & i feel no rush to pick any of it up until i find it for a price i want...if that never happens, i still get to experience it.

with the way prices have gone the last few years - particularly how bad US saturn & turbo stuff got - i told myself this would be the year i stop worrying about the bubble & my white whale/etc skyrocketing like Little Samson & others have. fear's a shitty reason to do anything, and even winning the lottery tomorrow wouldn't make me feel better about forking over half my rent check just to have Space Adventure Cobra on my shelf, much less feed the cycle.

not judging anybody here for doing otherwise, mind - just really excited to play games, not follow ebay/pricechart crap like it's comics in the early 90's all over again. god knows my backlog isn't getting any better now, but i'm so happy with these guys.

I feel the same, I have a Super Everdrive (which I fitted with the DSP chip), Everdrive N8 for the famicom and a Turbo Everdrive and I plan on picking up a Mega Everdrive in the very near future.

The cost of all retro games is getting insanely ridiculous and it just prices people out of enjoying some good old games. I'm not a collector just someone who enjoys playing games. I buy the games that I can afford that are really enjoyable or hold some sentimental value but let the collectors deal with the market. Besides I don't have the room for all dem carts.

IrishNinja

added ArcadeGAF to OP, might have a mod edit that one to include MAME/etc if ya'll want?

Yeah looking at the prices of some games I started going down that route too and ordered a Famicom Everdrive N8, and am planning to get a Genesis one sometime soon. The thing that pushed me over is Gimmick and it's pricing considering it was something I really wanted to play, but overall it's all about the games and being able to play them as much as I would like owning all the carts. I figure going this way and making an effort to grab carts of games I really like will work well.

yeah, Gimmick is a perfect unfortunate example of stupid-high price on a really great game (that combination seems to be for late gen stuff that none of us got cause we were usually onto the next system, haha), and that does it for me most times.

i mean, a turbo ED board is less than say Neutopia II, for one example

MSU1 allows you to patch the games with CD audio tracks and it's amazing. It's like as if the SNES got a CD add on for amazing music.

yeah, someone pointed that out and i think it's pretty cool! i don't know how much it's utilized, but it's definitely a cool option
that said, i don't know how often i'd use it, personally - watching a few videos messed with my head, like i was seeing some weird lost Sega CD ports, haha

There aren't that many custom chip SNES games, and even with what the SD2SNES supports you're missing SA1 + SuperFX which means games like Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Star Fox (+2), and Yoshi's Island won't work.

I mostly care about flashcarts for hacks + translations, and as far as that goes only the Star Ocean translation is really missing on Super Everdrive.

ah, totally forgot about Star Ocean! fair call, though it's not high on my list, thankfully

I feel the same, I have a Super Everdrive (which I fitted with the DSP chip), Everdrive N8 for the famicom and a Turbo Everdrive and I plan on picking up a Mega Everdrive in the very near future.

The cost of all retro games is getting insanely ridiculous and it just prices people out of enjoying some good old games. I'm not a collector just someone who enjoys playing games. I buy the games that I can afford that are really enjoyable or hold some sentimental value but let the collectors deal with the market. Besides I don't have the room for all dem carts.

amen - ive got shelves of these things (and don't really see myself selling them, even with said ED's) but my entire attitude about the ones that were well outside of my range changed with this perspective; i can still pick up whatever i like in my comfortable $20-30 range, but no more worrying.

Top Bottom