• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Ryck

Yeah I don't really have room for them either. They are currently at my office ( I sell insurance lol) Im having a real hard time choising between them. My buddy is gonna sell his so I basically get to choose the one I want. The Dk cabinet is in amazing shape and is a bit smaller which I like, but I've always wanted a Pacman and it was the first game that I ever remember loving as a kid (5200 version). But the cabinet is not in the same condition as the Dk one.

Gonna be a tough call.

Yeah I don't really have room for them either. They are currently at my office ( I sell insurance lol) Im having a real hard time choising between them. My buddy is gonna sell his so I basically get to choose the one I want. The Dk cabinet is in amazing shape and is a bit smaller which I like, but I've always wanted a Pacman and it was the first game that I ever remember loving as a kid (5200 version). But the cabinet is not in the same condition as the Dk one.

Gonna be a tough call.

not telling you what to pick, just having fun since we're all looking at these nice machines on retroGAF,

i'd take Donkey Kong =)

Peltz

Pac Man is the better and more fun game, but DK cabinet has that "wow" factor as a collector's item if you're a Nintendo fan.

Personally, I couldn't choose between the two either. Good luck with that....

D.Lo

Yeah I'm afraid you need to pony up and keep both. So we can all live vicariously through you our old man (and woman) dreams of having a home arcade.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I would go with the DK myself, but would love just any of them, pretty hard to find stuff like that around here :(

Ryck

Haha you guys are just as torn. No way I can afford both so im gonna have to choose. Pacman should be working tonight, the monitor stopped working after we transported it and we found a guy who was able to fix it pretty cheap. He will install the new part today so once it's running hopefully that will make my decision much easier.

I promise I won't draw it out but I'll post some better shots once its running as has the correct marquee.

KC-Slater

Haha you guys are just as torn. No way I can afford both so im gonna have to choose. Pacman should be working tonight, the monitor stopped working after we transported it and we found a guy who was able to fix it pretty cheap. He will install the new part today so once it's running hopefully that will make my decision much easier.

I promise I won't draw it out but I'll post some better shots once its running as has the correct marquee.

Keep the DK. Multi-boards are very easy to come by, so opt for the cab that has the most original parts. It's highly sought after by people both in and out of the hobby, and in great shape. It's smaller, and if you ever have to part with it, you'll have an easier time getting rid of it.

(I say 'getting rid of it' because typically when it comes time to part with a cab, sadly it's never on your own terms/schedule...lol)

I've always wanted both of these. Pac-Man because it's so iconic and replayable and DK because I love classic Nintendo stuff. I'd say DK is more valuable and collectable. If by chance you ever get more space, a decent PM cab will be much easier to come by than DK.

i know this is silly, but i picked donkey kong not bc of the game but the art work and that it has one button aside from player one and two.

nintendo really brings home a certain feel. their table top and game and watch stuff i had brings the same feeling.

pacman... not plus, but i always see ms. pacman and galaga machines growing up.
in addition: yellow color fades the fastest in sunlight. i am a huge collector MISB of Macross stuff and all my yellow boxed that's touched sunlight for a few weeks have faded to white. yellow has to be kept in a dark room more than other colors.

both are so cool to look at so i'd be cool with either.
now, if there was spy hunter cab i'd be going nuts, screaming and kicking sell it to me =) jk! (that game was so cool)

Anth0ny

arcade cabs is where I draw the line, unfortunately. besides the fact that they're expensive and huge as fuck... I don't know if there's an arcade game in my top 50 games of all time. I was born in 92, so I kinda missed the peak period of arcades. Though I certainly enjoy a ton of arcade games, none come to mind where I'd be willing to lug a giant cab into my house.

The only thing that comes close is Super Turbo, since there actually isn't an arcade perfect port of the game and I still love playing it. But I'd consider one of these way before a cab:
rqeWbjF.jpg

sooooooo cool.

If I become a millionaire and have a giant fucking house with unlimited money and room I'd probably buy this, though:

PXLiwnO.jpg

Khaz

I'd love to get some arcade cabinets but I would never be able to fit Daytona USA and/or Sega Rally in the house.

arcade cabs is where I draw the line, unfortunately. besides the fact that they're expensive and huge as fuck... I don't know if there's an arcade game in my top 50 games of all time. I was born in 92, so I kinda missed the peak period of arcades. Though I certainly enjoy a ton of arcade games, none come to mind where I'd be willing to lug a giant cab into my house.

The only thing that comes close is Super Turbo, since there actually isn't an arcade perfect port of the game and I still love playing it. But I'd consider one of these way before a cab:

sooooooo cool.

Neat. Never seen this before.

Mega

Banned
I would sell both arcade machines and just play the NES versions on a Retron.

j/k

Arcades technically peaked in early 80s. :p

I would only get a MAME arcade machine with a CRT and a snazzy frontend, and only if I had the space.

Ryck

After some consideration (and a lot of help from you guys) I have decided to keep the Donkey Kong cab. Truth is I probably won't play it very often. More than anything it is for decoration and I just love the look of it.

Thanks for all the input and cool conversation. Lots of good people in this thread, I will definitely stick around. ^_^

b3b0p

I would sell both arcade machines and just play the NES versions on a Retron.

j/k

Arcades technically peaked in early 80s. :p

I would only get a MAME arcade machine with a CRT and a snazzy frontend, and only if I had the space.

M.A.M.E. is far from perfect. I need a Candy JAMMA Cabinet. Nothing else even matters.

hey guys, a few weeks back i got resident evil 2 dual shock from ebay and it smelled like smoke. just wanted to report back that leaving it in a zip lock bag for 2 weeks with baking soda got rid of the smell.

Mega

Banned
M.A.M.E. is far from perfect. I need a Candy JAMMA Cabinet. Nothing else even matters.

I'm aware, but many do run fine if not perfect. And the setup works with my existing CRTs so it saves a ton of space (of which I don't have much). Most people don't have room or the desire for a standalone arcade machine. Then there's the exorbitant price and hassle of collecting PCBs...

Khaz

I have great hopes that building your own arcade will have a massive step up with the use of FPGA, introducing perfect, lagless arcade gaming into your home without having to break the bank. Still a long way to go though, as each game has to be programmed, unlike making an FPGA console.

KC-Slater

I picked up a Naomi Universal cab in really great shape, back in the Fall. It came with Virtua Tennis, but I have since picked up a few other Naomi carts cheap, including Virtua Tennis 2, and a Naomi Net DIMM to load everything from a Rasp Pi.

I am in the midst of refurbishing it; including cleaning/re-painting, replacing the control panel (I'm pretty limited only having two buttons per player, ha.) Maybe add support for my Dreamcast? Primarily cosmetic stuff. I was after an Astro City for forever, but they are hard/expensive to come by, where I live.

I love my Naomi, but my biggest issue with it, is where to keep it. I have it in storage right now, and would rather keep it there forever, than part with it.

I love seeing others' arcade setups, and wish that GAF could support a general arcade thread that would survive over a week or two.

(excuse terrible iPhone photos)

H2WzMVh.jpg width="30%" height="30%"

2cD14jg.jpg width="30%" height="30%"

eJEHCaZ.jpg width="30%" height="30%"

How do you guys feel about making a post in BST with games you're looking for and approximate prices you'd buy them for, if those prices are a bit low?

Looking for a handful of JP CIB gameboy games, and ebay isn't turning up much. Not sure on the etiquette on these things, since I'm not paying the prices set by a couple of ebay sellers.

How do you guys feel about making a post in BST with games you're looking for and approximate prices you'd buy them for, if those prices are a bit low?

I'm confused. Are you asking if everyone on here would like to compile a list of games they are looking for with prices and have someone make 1 post on the BST thread? That would have to be one trustworthy person with a good bit of feedback. I'm a plus seller plus buyer in that thread but I don't know if I would be comfortable juggling peoples paypal and shipping. Unless Im reading this post wrong. Again, confused.

Mega

Banned

Looking for a handful of JP CIB gameboy games, and ebay isn't turning up much. Not sure on the etiquette on these things, since I'm not paying the prices set by a couple of ebay sellers.

I think you're saying you want to make a WTB post for a few games. However the prices you're willing to pay are below eBay levels and you're not sure if sellers in the BST thread will be offended by your numbers.

If that's what you meant, you have nothing to worry about. Stuff here usually sells for more reasonable prices than big sites. If a BST seller wants eBay (or retail) prices for his stuff, then he/she should go there in the first place and not be surprised when no one here bites.

I'm confused. Are you asking if everyone on here would like to compile a list of games they are looking for with prices and have someone make 1 post on the BST thread? That would have to be one trustworthy person with a good bit of feedback. I'm a plus seller plus buyer in that thread but I don't know if I would be comfortable juggling peoples paypal and shipping. Unless Im reading this post wrong. Again, confused.
Yeah, I worded that poorly. I was tired as hell. Mega's translation is on point.
I think you're saying you want to make a WTB post for a few games. However the prices you're willing to pay are below eBay levels and you're not sure if sellers in the BST thread will be offended by your numbers.

If that's what you meant, you have nothing to worry about. Stuff here usually sells for more reasonable prices than big sites. If a BST seller wants eBay (or retail) prices for his stuff, then he/she should go there in the first place and not be surprised when no one here bites.
Alrighty. Guess I'll do that, then. Thanks.

Bubba77

sooooooo cool.

If I become a millionaire and have a giant fucking house with unlimited money and room I'd probably buy this, though:

PXLiwnO.jpg

Im with you on fzero AX. I had a chance to buy that for 2500 last year. The money is not an issue but I have no clue where id put it in my house! I dont have a basement and id would take up 20% of my garage. Oh well.

I did build a bartop mame arcade last year and love it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I picked up a Naomi Universal cab in really great shape, back in the Fall. It came with Virtua Tennis, but I have since picked up a few other Naomi carts cheap, including Virtua Tennis 2, and a Naomi Net DIMM to load everything from a Rasp Pi.

I am in the midst of refurbishing it; including cleaning/re-painting, replacing the control panel (I'm pretty limited only having two buttons per player, ha.) Maybe add support for my Dreamcast? Primarily cosmetic stuff. I was after an Astro City for forever, but they are hard/expensive to come by, where I live.

I love my Naomi, but my biggest issue with it, is where to keep it. I have it in storage right now, and would rather keep it there forever, than part with it.

I love seeing others' arcade setups, and wish that GAF could support a general arcade thread that would survive over a week or two.

(excuse terrible iPhone photos)

H2WzMVh.jpg width="30%" height="30%"

2cD14jg.jpg width="30%" height="30%"

eJEHCaZ.jpg width="30%" height="30%"
I'm seriously considering picking up a NAOMI 2 to play VF4EVO (and once I get a NET-DIMM and GD-ROM, VF4FT).

Will have to wait until I get a new power supply for my VF3 board though...

Anyway, good stuff.

I might start doing this. I definitely have a handful of NES games I'm in the hunt for.

televator

Honestly, I'm starting to feel uneasy about posting things for sale there. The way people are talking. Some of them want rules against price gouging. What's really considered price gouging? Do I need to be 5 or 10 dollars beneath eBay? The lowest recent sale or how do we determine an average? It would be a one sided price control.

It's discouraging to me. Sometimes I post up a price that is pretty high without really realizing. I happily lower it when someone points it out via PM when they are interested in buying. But I'd hate being publicly "called out" as what seems to be going on in there right now...

Honestly, I'm starting to feel uneasy about posting things for sale there. The way people are talking. Some of them want rules against price gouging. What's really considered price gouging? Do I need to be 5 or 10 dollars beneath eBay? The lowest recent sale or how do we determine an average? It would be a one sided price control.

It's discouraging to me. Sometimes I post up a price that is pretty high without really realizing. I happily lower it when someone points it out via PM when they are interested in buying. But I'd hate being publicly "called out" as what seems to be going on in there right now...

I here what your saying, but there are still a lot of very generous people there. Most of the shit-flinging I see is from people getting a free game pack-in with a video card and selling it for full retail. Also selling humble bundle games weeks later for triple the price. PS4 Anniversary consoles being sold for over a $1000, Amibos etc... But any retro games I have purchased and theres been quite a few, I've been able to get a lower price. I guess YMMV on who you're dealing with.

I here what your saying, but there are still a lot of very generous people there. Most of the shit-flinging I see is from people getting a free game pack-in with a video card and selling it for full retail. Also selling humble bundle games weeks later for triple the price. PS4 Anniversary consoles being sold for over a $1000, Amibos etc... But any retro games I have purchased and theres been quite a few, I've been able to get a lower price. I guess YMMV on who you're dealing with.

though all the games above are from ebay,

i brought a few DS games w/ Raystorm from Dr. Stabbingsworth for my first transaction on GAF last month. totally agree the prices were lower than ebay. really good guy.

televator

Well, I mostly just sell. Not many times that I've bought. I'm a Gold seller too, no negs, no neuts. One of the major reasons I came over to GAF from a previous forum is because people over there felt obligated to shit on your sale post if they didn't like your prices. Now people on GAF seem a bit more temperamental as can be seen by pages filled with debate over prices and even the formatting of people's posts. I feel I've just been lucky so far, but I don't know how much farther things will go in the future.

Mega

Banned

Televator, I've seen your sales posts and you're good. You're very far from what's bothering some people. You can have ebay prices and while your stuff may not sell right away as a result, no one is going to call you out. I have never seen anyone condemn a seller for a price that is a little too high. There is usually a bigger underlying problem.

The main issue has been people deliberately being shady but acting like they're helping the community. A recent example is the Newegg $1 PC game keys. Before they were even done some Gaffers were trying to sell them in BST for $15-30... instead of helping out fellow Gaffers and saying "hey you can still get them for a dollar at this link." Everyone is allowed to ask for top dollar and make as much money as possible, but at all costs runs counter to the helpful community aspect. Another fishy example was someone selling a Twilight Princess HD preorder (with Amazon discount) for well above what it would cost if the buyer went to Amazon and got his/her own preorder.

There's an tone to these examples where it's not just people trying to make money, but trying to take advantage of someone possibly not knowing, hoping the buyer isn't aware a thing is available for significantly cheaper one click away. These were the tactics of shady shops in the pre-Internet days trying to sell you gaming merch for twice the retail price when a legit store a couple of blocks away had the real prices. They bet on a certain amount of foot traffic not knowing about the better store nearby and got away with it. No one on GAF should be striving to emulate that behavior.

But selling your out of print retro games under, equal or above eBay prices doesn't fall under this topic discussion (and if it did then I would begin to worry about this place). For a hypothetical example, I'm okay with paying a little more over eBay because I trust a particular Gaffer's word on the quality of what they're selling, won't package it poorly or screw me over in some other unforseen manner. Maybe I'm fine with paying a modder here more for an NESRGB job than I would pay an offside modder because I know the Gaffer's reputation for topnotch work and I have no clue what shit the offsite person does. And so on.

The post format thing has to do with obnoxious posts with tons of huge, unnecessary images killing bandwidth, slower devices and mobile browsers. It has gotten a lot better but go back a few months and it was a pain in the ass to browse BST.

Peagles

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. In fact it's been a very long time since I did a BST trade. Between the scams, gouging, shit posting, and someone losing it at me over posting something innocuous, I've pretty much disengaged.

You're aware there are different sizes of GB box in Japan right? My GB Genjin 2 box is way smaller than Pokemon or Dragon Quest Monsters boxes, and I think I saw some other sizes as well.

there are a few, yeah. there's for sure a standard size, though. about 8.75 x 10 x 1.75 cm. Color boxes also have a standard size of about 12 x 10 x 2 cm. I have a couple games that don't conform to these, but the majority do, and looking around the net, those certainly seem to be standard.

Top Bottom