• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Rich!

Right, I've gone all out (well, not really)

just purchased a broken GBC for £6 from ebay. They say broken, but it's just a cracked lens and missing battery cover. it's fine!! I've also purchased a full shell replacement (£10) and a glass replacement lens (£5). But most importantly...a frontlight mod kit from kitschbent (£18).

I'm going to use the loca glue method. Basically, using glue to seal the frontlight to the LCD itself. Entirely. Hopefully without any dust or air bubbles. We shall see.

Right, I've gone all out (well, not really)

just purchased a broken GBC for £6 from ebay. They say broken, but it's just a cracked lens and missing battery cover. it's fine!! I've also purchased a full shell replacement (£10) and a glass replacement lens (£5). But most importantly...a frontlight mod kit from kitschbent (£18).

I'm going to use the loca glue method. Basically, using glue to seal the frontlight to the LCD itself. Entirely. Hopefully without any dust or air bubbles. We shall see.
If you get stuck, try e-mailing the guy that runs this site for tips:

http://www.gameboymods.co.uk

I'm hoping he's still around. He did my frontlit GBC in 2014.

D.Lo

Got my NGPC Slim today. Such a cool little handheld. I didn't remember it being this small! The reflective screen is nice quality but I wish it were backlit. Some of the pics I took make it look like it is...
I never realised one of mine was the 'slim' version until years later lol.

It's only subtly smaller, the part below the screen sliced off basically. Same depth and width.

IMG_669554c7a.jpg

Mega

Banned
I never realised one of mine was the 'slim' version until years later lol.

It's only subtly smaller, the part below the screen sliced off basically. Same depth and width.

Slim is a weird name since it's not like GB vs GB Pocket size difference, but that's what I've seen it called around the Internet. I think the actual name is New Neo Geo Pocket Color. The few impressions I read said the New/Slim has an improved screen with higher contrast, louder sound and better battery life. In addition to the silver, I ordered an awesome-looking crystal blue model. I'm going to see if someone can do the frontlight mod... it'll affect contrast but my bad neck can't take the angles needes to play this unlit screen for very long!

I noticed some sellers are selling NGPC games as new minus original packaging. What I've received does in fact look brand new. My guess is they came from these packs, down to the region labels matching the ones in the photo.

So where did these come from? Stock clearance after the GBA released and NGPC fizzled?

I was just going to say that I really wish I picked up another NeoGeo pocket color in those later shitty packaging for cheap to replace the one I have with the big scratch on the screen.

I also wish that I could find my boxes for the games I have for it since they came in pretty cool boxes.

D.Lo

Slim is a weird name since it's not like GB vs GB Pocket size difference, but that's what I've seen it called around the Internet. I think the actual name is New Neo Geo Pocket Color. The few impressions I read said the New/Slim has an improved screen with higher contrast, louder sound and better battery life.
They seem to perform identically to me. I think the screen is the exact same part even.

So where did these come from? Stock clearance after the GBA released and NGPC fizzled?
That's exactly what they are.

Neo Geo Pocket Color games didn't come in boxes?

That's one less thing to worry about I suppose.

Those shown above are just bundled gift sets, the standalone games came in beautiful clam shell style cases (think miniature Neo Geo boxes and your on the right track). Japan got cardboard boxes though which sucks, as they are nowhere near as nice.

Mega

Banned
Those shown above are just bundled gift sets, the standalone games came in beautiful clam shell style cases (think miniature Neo Geo boxes and your on the right track). Japan got cardboard boxes though which sucks, as they are nowhere near as nice.

I was looking into that after noticing the dearth of games in boxes (because of the recall, original packaging discarded and games repacked in discount bundles?). Japan had both cardboard boxes and shockboxes, Europe had the latter, US had only cardboard. I wouldn't mind having those Euro boxes.

I didn't realise it was mainly a Euro thing, I really lucked out in that case! I ended up with this nice little collection:

Not shown is my copy of Rockman as that was Japan only, and cardboard box only as far as I'm aware (I'd snap up a clam shell release in a heartbeat)

StevieWhite

Guys, I got a little creative with the Framemeister's overlay settings and I colorized my old Magnavox Odyssey 300.

A fun little experiment - I intend to do a full writeup on the process once I clean up the signal, which, as you can tell, is a little bit fuzzy.

Mega

Banned
I didn't realise it was mainly a Euro thing, I really lucked out in that case! I ended up with this nice little collection:

Not shown is my copy of Rockman as that was Japan only, and cardboard box only as far as I'm aware (I'd snap up a clam shell release in a heartbeat)

Damn, nice collection. I only have a couple of stacks consisting of a dozen games in clear plastic cart cases.

Slim is a weird name since it's not like GB vs GB Pocket size difference, but that's what I've seen it called around the Internet. I think the actual name is New Neo Geo Pocket Color. The few impressions I read said the New/Slim has an improved screen with higher contrast, louder sound and better battery life. In addition to the silver, I ordered an awesome-looking crystal blue model. I'm going to see if someone can do the frontlight mod... it'll affect contrast but my bad neck can't take the angles needes to play this unlit screen for very long!

I noticed some sellers are selling NGPC games as new minus original packaging. What I've received does in fact look brand new. My guess is they came from these packs, down to the region labels matching the ones in the photo.

These hit stores sometime around 2002 - 2004 I believe. I remember working at Funcoland back then when we got them in. I believe I was the only one buying them in our store. Though we didn't get all of the packs or very many of the packs we did get. I tried to get as many as I could though. Love the NGPC, such an awesome little system.

D.Lo

Holy crap that's an incredible set.

Rich!

My gbc frontlight kit has been shipped from kitsch bent!

Already worried about fucking up the GBC screen with the loca glue application...gulp

Damn, nice collection. I only have a couple of stacks consisting of a dozen games in clear plastic cart cases.

Holy crap that's an incredible set.

Thanks :) I got most of the games on release. I remember getting the NGPC alongside my Dreamcast, that was pretty much the best period of gaming in my childhood for sure!
I then grabbed stuff like Metal Slug 1&2, Last Blast, Bust a Move and Samurai Shodown later from Amazon for cheap. I'm guessing it'll cost much more to pick them up now! I still need to grab KOF R1 for the original NG Pocket when I get the chance, since it has a few different characters compared to R2.

BTails

Guys, I got a little creative with the Framemeister's overlay settings and I colorized my old Magnavox Odyssey 300.

A fun little experiment - I intend to do a full writeup on the process once I clean up the signal, which, as you can tell, is a little bit fuzzy.

That's really awesome, actually. I love the idea of extremely old hardware on a new display.

StevieWhite

That's really awesome, actually. I love the idea of extremely old hardware on a new display.

Thanks, man! Right now I've got the thing running through an old VCR and into the Framemeister. Hopefully I can find a more stable connection, so I can get rid of the fuzz... unfortunately, the thing might just be old.

televator

That's fucking awesome!

Khaz

Thanks, man! Right now I've got the thing running through an old VCR and into the Framemeister. Hopefully I can find a more stable connection, so I can get rid of the fuzz... unfortunately, the thing might just be old.

Maybe you can mod it for Composite instead of RF out?

StevieWhite

Maybe you can mod it for Composite instead of RF out?

It's definitely something I'd love to look into, but my mod skills are weak. Additionally, the odyssey 300 is kind of a weird ass model that most folks aren't too interested in...it hasn't received the same kind of attention that other retro systems have. I may just try hooking a cheap ass radio shack signal booster to it.

For some reason, I feel like Missile might know how to fix this...

Mega

Banned
So what's the deal with the Mist FPGA system? Does anyone own one and is there something I should know beforehand? It seems really kickass and straightforward... SD card, wireless keyboard, any household smartphone power adapter, joystick controller, but wonder if I'm missing some huge hurdle.

Would one of these sites be a good place to get it?

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96
http://amigastore.eu/en/318-mist-fpga-computer.html
https://www.dragonbox.de/de/285-mist-fpga-konsolen.html

They were listed as official resellers on the main site. It's cheapest on the German site but I can't read what it says to see if there's a reason for the lower price.

I don't need to pay the extra for that Amiga config option on the amigastore site, right? This is all new to me. I always wanted a bunch of the systems this device supports but have no space for all the extra hardware.

Lettuce

My gbc frontlight kit has been shipped from kitsch bent!

Already worried about fucking up the GBC screen with the loca glue application...gulp

God damn it Rich, have got 2 GBC around here somewhere and now am wanting to mod them. Where did you get ure cases from and what guide will you be following?

On a side note ive seen an RGB backlight for the GBC also, which might be worth doing

Khaz

It's definitely something I'd love to look into, but my mod skills are weak. Additionally, the odyssey 300 is kind of a weird ass model that most folks aren't too interested in...it hasn't received the same kind of attention that other retro systems have. I may just try hooking a cheap ass radio shack signal booster to it.

For some reason, I feel like Missile might know how to fix this...

Yeah, I feel like you would have to research it by yourself, finding pinouts and traces and basically map new territory. I think it would be a cool project and not so terribly difficult on this sort of ancient machine where everything is straightforward.

Else you could try to look into more aggressive variable comb filters to completely weed out the interferences and normalise the output, since it's a pure bicolour black and white picture (no greys to bother with). Then again, these sort of hardware are probably part of super expensive professional sets. Maybe try asking on assembler-games, they will probably have some ideas on how to do things to make you start.

Rich!

God damn it Rich, have got 2 GBC around here somewhere and now am wanting to mod them. Where did you get ure cases from and what guide will you be following?

On a side note ive seen an RGB backlight for the GBC also, which might be worth doing

Got it from kitsch-bent, the guide is on the item page.

And I wasn't aware there was an option for a backlit mod...from what I understand that option is impossible with the GBC.

Lettuce

Got it from kitsch-bent, the guide is on the item page.

And I wasn't aware there was an option for a backlit mod...from what I understand that option is impossible with the GBC.

GBP sorry

Also what are you doing for bonding the LOCO with the screen, just going to leave it in the sunlight (which might be a problem here in the UK atm!?)

Mega

Banned
Saw that too. Maybe he can drop by and give his thoughts on the Mist FPGA console. It appears to be quite amazing yet there's like no info about it on GAF. It's everything the Chameleon failed at being! I'm looking at some videos now to see if it's as good as it seems.

IrishNinja

Saw that too. Maybe he can drop by and give his thoughts on the Mist FPGA console. It appears to be quite amazing yet there's like no info about it on GAF. It's everything the Chameleon failed at being! I'm looking at some videos now to see if it's as good as it seems.

wait, is it back on? last i checked (around the end of last year) dude said he had it on hold...really did wanna see that one play out

Mega

Banned
What do you mean on hold? The Mist is available to buy right now on 4 different official reseller sites. 199 Euros on most... cheapest on the German site, the only one I can't read!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Beautiful.

Probably in the igarashi thread. He wanted people to stop talking about objectification of women and just focus on the game.

I don't agree. Hope he comes back in a week though.

Yeah, I don't agree with his ban either. I had to unsub from the thread instead of getting sucked up into the constant complaining about chest size with every update.

televator

Yeah, I don't agree with his ban either. I had to unsub from the thread instead of getting sucked up into the constant complaining about chest size with every update.

I don't agree with his opinion. Don't know that I'd ban him for it though. Unless he really couldn't drop it.

Eh, I misunderstood you then, sorry. Really don't want to unsub from retro threads so not going to engage. I'm sorry for the mistake.

entremet

Probably in the igarashi thread. He wanted people to stop talking about objectification of women and just focus on the game.

I don't agree. Hope he comes back in a week though.
Looks like a backseat modding thread complaining ban.

I got hit with one of those once.

Peltz

Just got the Dreamcast arcade stick in last night... The one with the green buttons.

The stick itself isn't bad, but when you let go of it, it springs too far back in the other direction so that it registers as another input. For example, if you're crouching in street fighter, then let go of the stick, it will bounce back so hard that it will register as a jump. Not cool.

And the buttons are also not ideal - they require you to push down on them directly in the center and will get jammed if you hit them on the edge.

However, overall, my impressions of the stick are pretty positive. I love the VMU window, the button layout, and overall the feel of the stick minus that one issue. It's not sanwa, but it's pretty cool for a casual stick when playing games in single player mode.

I'm still going to mod another stick with better parts for more serious sessions. But this one will do for single player games that take advantage of the VMU.

picked up a few more 240p games for the BVM,

shoot one game (res2 blk label dual shock) smells like it came from a heavy smoker. anyone ever have this experience... recommendations to get rid of the smell?

i'm just airing out one page at a time of the instruction manual right now.

I asked this awhile ago in the Neogeo thread but got completely ignored so I'm going to ask here see if anyone has any ideas. I haven't used my NG AES in a few years, now that I've got RGB cables I've wanted to get back into it. Unfortunately pretty much all of my MVS games except one do this.

25146287259_f14479e35d_h.jpg

I've cleaned them all, taken apart every game and cleaned their connectors, cleaned the connectors on both ends of my Phantom-1 and cleaned the connectors on my NeoGeo. And everything is TIGHT. Getting games out of my Phantom-1 or my AES requires force. The connectors on my AES are basically brand new (they had just been replaced right before I bought it). So I'm at a loss here. I suppose my next step is going to be to grab some deoxit. Anyone run into something like this before?

I don't think its the cable because the one AES game I have is perfect, and same with one of the MVS carts. All the other ones though.

picked up a few more 240p games for the BVM,

shoot one game (res2 blk label dual shock) smells like it came from a heavy smoker. anyone ever have this experience... recommendations to get rid of the smell?

i'm just airing out one page at a time of the instruction manual right now.

Try a soft cloth dipped in isopropyl alcohol. Gently and thoroughly rub it down all over (... that sounds dirty...)

televator

I asked this awhile ago in the Neogeo thread but got completely ignored so I'm going to ask here see if anyone has any ideas. I haven't used my NG AES in a few years, now that I've got RGB cables I've wanted to get back into it. Unfortunately pretty much all of my MVS games except one do this.

25146287259_f14479e35d_h.jpg

I've cleaned them all, taken apart every game and cleaned their connectors, cleaned the connectors on both ends of my Phantom-1 and cleaned the connectors on my NeoGeo. And everything is TIGHT. Getting games out of my Phantom-1 or my AES requires force. The connectors on my AES are basically brand new (they had just been replaced right before I bought it). So I'm at a loss here. I suppose my next step is going to be to grab some deoxit. Anyone run into something like this before?

I don't think its the cable because the one AES game I have is perfect, and same with one of the MVS carts. All the other ones though.

I don't have a NG, so I'm not familiar with hardware faults on it. I can't be much help at all. Have you ever blasted the cart slot with a compressor? People don't realize how nasty it can get even if they do clean the pins with alcohol. I've seen clumps of hair and dirt come out of cart slots that simply cleaning the pins won't address.

Top Bottom